What Is Everyones "real" Job?

Lounge By hammer1 Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm by ECC12

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #61 of 573

I make a real living being a hair stylist for 40yrs. I have my own salon, and never had hired help. I'm presently working part time and soon to retire. We are building a home at Myrtle Beach S.C. Can't wait. I could never make a living decorating cakes, too slow and not that talented..But love the hobby.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #62 of 573

I am the Department Head of English and Modern Languages (German and French) at the high school where I work. I teach English full time to students in grades 9-12 (mostly 12). I have a daughter who is almost two and my four-year-old "fur baby."

Due to marking, lesson prepping, and headship responsibilities, added to my favourite "job" - parenting - I only have time to make cakes for family, friends, and co-workers. They are an appreciative audience, though!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #63 of 573

Full-time Mommy and visual artist by trade (sculptor). As any SAHM knows, there isn't much free time so I do all my baking and art making LATE at night when both Hubby and 3yr old daughter are asleep. ~ Contrary to popular belief, we SAHMs don't sit on our butts and watch TV all day... atleast I don't. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being home with my daughter !!! So many adventures.

I mostly do cakes for husband's office and friends/family. I really started this so my daughter could have cool "vegan" decorated cakes like other kids (not feel left out, etc.) ~ and it's a way to bring in extra cash while I'm home with my "baby bumblebee". icon_smile.gif

~ If you could only bottle their youth... icon_rolleyes.gif I'd call the frangrance "Essence of toddler" icon_lol.gif

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #64 of 573

Iâm a geophysicist and I search for oil and gas in South Louisiana and the Gulf of Mexico. I have always loved to bake, and I hope to open a bakery/cafe when I retire from the oil patch (6 years and counting).

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:49am
post #65 of 573

Wow! This is a cool and informative thread! LOVE IT!

Let's see, in the past I worked in the commercial policy department for a big insurance company. Then, I handled the domestic and international distibution for a well known child safety product company. But, I never really enjoyed working for "The Man"...entrepreneurial blood runs through my Viking veins thanks to my Swedish grandpa! haha!

Once I got married in '96, I worked for a few more years, then started having babies in '99. I now have a DS (icon_cool.gif, and two DD's (6&3).

Was always creative and hands-on, but never guessed that path would be the one I'd end up on at age 40 by decorating cakes. (But then again, I never thought I'd be potty-training someone when I was 40 either! lol!)

I've been a SAHM for almost 9 years now, and have three kids. I'm also wife to a wonderful man, cake decorating business owner, "Master Schedule Juggler", and head of the PTO group for my daughter's school. Aaah. I'm most importantly a happy and independent woman! All of this makes up my 'real job".

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #66 of 573

I am the Office Manager in a natural foods grocery store. I work 8+ hours a day with a 2 hour drive time. I have 2 grown daughters that don't live a home anymore. All I have time for are late nights and weekends for cakes. Love my job, but love doing cakes too! Wishing I had more time to give each cake to improve them.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #67 of 573

I was a stay at home mom for quite a while. And actually I still kinda am. I work from home full time for HSN (home shopping network) and I still am here for the kids before and after school as well so it works out wonderfully. I would rather just do cakes but for now I guess I get the best of all worlds. I am here with my kids I work at home and I can do cakes lol..... oh and I have been doing this for 3 years now, I was a stay at home mom for 4 years before that.

Amanda

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #68 of 573

Hi Everyone! I was a registered dental assistant, then I became a realtor, and now I have the best job of all as a domestic engineer/SAHM. I bake and decorate for fun. My husband is a pretty accomplished musician. That's pretty much how the bills get paid.

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:10am
post #69 of 573

I'm an accounts payable clerk with a Natural Gas Company. I bake cakes and cookies for friends, co workers and family. I started taking classes from a well known bakery in town a couple of years ago. I love baking and my husband knows that when it's cake baking and decorating nights you are own your own for dinner. Between us we have 4 children, all grown and married. We have a grand daughter and grand son that are 2 and 5. They get special birthday cakes from their MiMi.

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #70 of 573

I'm an accounts payable clerk with a Natural Gas Company. I bake cakes and cookies for friends, co workers and family. I started taking classes from a well known bakery in town a couple of years ago. I love baking and my husband knows that when it's cake baking and decorating nights you are own your own for dinner. Between us we have 4 children, all grown and married. We have a grand daughter and grand son that are 2 and 5. They get special birthday cakes from their MiMi.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #71 of 573

I am so much enjoying this thread.

I am the Corporate Secretary and Assistant Comptroller for a private investment company. Proud mother of two beautiful Christian college girls. One in graduate school and the other undergrad.

My creative outlet is cake decorating. Just bake for family and friends.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #72 of 573

I was in the IT field (1st as a programmer analyst and then switched to network engineering) until my 1st son was born at which time I became a SAHM. I now am the mother of 4 beautiful children (ages 6, 4, 2 and almost 10 months). I started homeschooling my oldest last year and loved it and will continue to do this with all of my children. Taking care of my DH of 11 1/2 years my 4 human babies and my 2 dogs is a triple X job. I'm happy if I can get anytime at all to decorate cakes!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

This thread was a great idea, I've loved getting to know everyone!

Cruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cruz Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:45am
post #73 of 573

I'm a Trust Officer at bank. I love being in the kitchen cooking and baking. I received my Pastry Certificate from the Texas Culinary Academy in 2006. I also continue taking cake decorating classes and culinary classes that interest me. I do cakes part-time and my baking/decorating in the evenings or weekends (This, of course, as the family's schedule allows.) Mainly, this is a hobby that allows me to make my daughter (9yrs) and son's (6yrs) birthdays special.

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 3:56am
post #74 of 573

I am a Systems Analyst for the Department of Defense. I bake and decorate cakes in the evenings or weekends...

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:04am
post #75 of 573

Previously I drove the Prisoner wagon for a large city police department. I made cakes for friends and family.
We moved and now that my daughter goes to kindergarten I'm a School Bus Driver.

I love trying new recipes and believe me that don't always work out for the best. !!!!!!

Cortney1113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cortney1113 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:07am
post #76 of 573

I stay home with my kids (ages16, 13, 11, 3 and 2). I work from home full time for Balfour-the class ring company. I also sell Mary Kay and I just started baking cakes to sell. I pretty much just bake whenever I have an order-I usually bake it the morning before they need it and then decorate it that night.

kaytec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaytec Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:23am
post #77 of 573

I'm the assistant controller of a mobile storage company. First job with my accounting degree, worked my way through school working the long hours of retail selling jewelery while I was a single mom with one daughter. Now I'm married and my daughter is a junior in high school. My daugher and I have taken three of the Wilton classes and will start our fourth this week. I hope to be able to make lots of cakes in the future. icon_smile.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:32am
post #78 of 573

I work in the Health Records department at a hospital during the day. A mommy to three girls (9,5,almost 2) and bake cakes every other hour of the day that I'm not doing the two other jobs above.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:39am
post #79 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by calynmom

Previously I drove the Prisoner wagon for a large city police department. I made cakes for friends and family.
We moved and now that my daughter goes to kindergarten I'm a School Bus Driver.

I love trying new recipes and believe me that don't always work out for the best. !!!!!!

Wow, what a change from driving prisoners to driving children. I wonder if the noise level is the same or if the children are waaaaay louder!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:46am
post #80 of 573

My "real job" is as a ticket/gate agent for Midwest Airlines. Lots of crazy hours, weekends, and holidays. Mostly do all my baking, decorating, late at night when everyone is asleep. 1 son in college, and a 16 yr old in high school. Baking used to be my stress reliever. Bake mostly for work, occassionaly for money.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:49am
post #81 of 573

I'm an Ultrasound Tech at a NYC Hospital and on my spare time I make chocolate favors, party favors, scrapbooking & now learning how to make cakes.

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:50am
post #82 of 573

I spent 18 years in kitchens, as a grill cook/kitchen manager.

I am now an Administrative Assistant to the Director, of a New Orleans based tourism company, offering private events, and dinner cruises aboard a paddlewheel boat, as well as Sales for the paddlewheel boat and swamp tours.

I am a mom of two, (son 12, daughter 6), and a life partner to the greatest woman in the world!

All of my baking is done at my home in the evenings and weekends.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:58am
post #83 of 573

I work part time for Sherwin Williams paint company calling on WalMarts.

I was the director of computers at a company for a number of years and and years ago I was in advertising for newspapers/radio.

I was a SAHM for 10 years.

I say that I do cakes "full time" and paint part time!!

I have been married to Honey Darling Precious for 26 years this month and the mother of 2 sons, 24 and 20 and a daughter 17. A daughter in law and a grandson who will be 4 this month complete our family!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:27am
post #84 of 573

I work in a medical billing office doing accounts receivable and data entry for 5 Doc's .. Family practice.. I love my job, have been at it for 13 years. I have my space away from the craziness and just work on the computer all day and dream of new cake designs.. icon_smile.gif) I can daydream at work all day Ive been doing it so long now... Doing lots of cakes evenings and weekends Known in my little town as "The cake lady !" Iv e been married to a wonderful man now for 12 years and have 2 Children 22 & 24 with my first Grandchild coming in March... SO CANT WAIT FOR THAT!.. With the kiddo's all grown and gone now for a year My husband and I are enjoying "OUR TIME" now.. We never had that as I had my children from a previous marriage when we met. We love to travel in our 5Th wheel RV..

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #85 of 573

I work full time as a Costume Shop Manager. I've been doing that for over 8 years now and I love it. I also sometimes sell books online and also run a theatre-themed gifts website.

We have 3 boys (all under 4) and my DH watches them when I have a cake to do, and nana and papa watch them during the day. My second son loves to cook and bake so I have to let him "help" with things like the dishes etc.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #86 of 573

I've worked for the front desk at a hotel for the past 4 years. I plan on finishing school in less than two years so by then i'll be a First Grade Teacher!! I can't wait!!! party.gif

And after I teach for a while I would LOVE to have my own cakery!! It would be so awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #87 of 573

I work 1/2 time (2 1/2 days) as an Educational Diagnostician and 1/2 time as a SAHM. We have 4 wonderful kids, our "monkeys". Three boys, ages 8, 6, and 3, and our little girl is 20 months. Prior to working half time, I was a teacher - special education at the elementary level. DH works for Sprint as an engineer and we have started a part-time business with a hotdog cart - The Family Dawg, that he works on Saturdays in town and we both plan to work at events. DH and I celebrated our 10 yr. anniversary last March. icon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #88 of 573

Besides making cakes? During wedding season, when not working on orders or something to do with orders, I stare into space, in the dark, with very strong tequila.

During the non busy season, I clean my house, go the beach, and rediscover my friends who think I don't like them anymore. I have this painting of a fractrured sunset that one of these days I will finish. (been working on it for three years..hahaha)

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #89 of 573

I work as a Special Education Support Assistant for a local high school. I have my Associates in Education, but I'm REALLY considering enrolling in a Baking and Pastry Culinary program in downtown Houston after my wedding in April. Oh yea...I'm engaged to be married icon_smile.gif No kids or anything like that. I just have a great job, family and fiance and HUGE passion for cakes icon_smile.gif

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #90 of 573

I work as a Special Education Support Assistant for a local high school. I have my Associates in Education, but I'm REALLY considering enrolling in a Baking and Pastry Culinary program in downtown Houston after my wedding in April. Oh yea...I'm engaged to be married icon_smile.gif No kids or anything like that. I just have a great job, family and fiance and HUGE passion for cakes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%