Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #661 of 1317

I've been having trouble with my Bettercreme lately. I use the liquid and whip it up with a dram of flavoring to a nice consistency and after a few hours is starts separating and breaking down. Could it be the heat or humidity? I haven't been refrigerating it after it is whipped. Or maybe I got a bad batch this time. It's hard to tell because I got a case of it about the same time the weather started getting more humid and hot.

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:23pm
post #662 of 1317

waaaa, i was so excited to try the bettercream only to find out i can't find it. i called rich's and they were a bunch of airheads telling me they only sold to us foods and sysco and to call them. yeah, i bet they're real eager to sell it to me!

ok, off to read the thread in full in hopes of one day finding this stuff.

GrandmaG Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #663 of 1317

You can buy it from Sysco's. Just give them a call and order it. You will probably have to buy a case though. Just look on their website and find a location closest to you.

SugarLover2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #664 of 1317

no way! i am excited now-thanks!

SugarLover2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #665 of 1317

Darn, no luck there. too far away and the closer location doesn't have it. I called Redner's because they sell rich's products and they hung up on me.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #666 of 1317

I, too was on the hunt for the elusive Bettercreme. I could only find it online and would be paying as much in shipping as the cost of the item. I will not spend 10-12 dollars on a quart of the stuff. Spent part of a trip to Tennessee trying to track down a store that sold it. Tried the yellow pages and no store representative had even heard of it. Mind you I had never even tasted it. Just heard the glowing stories here on CC.
Today I used my guest membership at Sam's club and yes they will sell the prewhipped kind, but it is in a huge pail and I would not use that much up in a year plus I'd have to buy another refridgerator. I got pathetic and asked the woman if she would give me a taste and she did. Don't shoot me down here, but after looking for the better part of two years for this stuff, I was underwhelmed. Y-E-S it does taste good and I know it holds up well in the heat and is versatile and all that, but it was a little too sweet for my taste and just the little sample spoon left an unusual coating on the back of my throat. I guess with cake under it, it may not do that.
SOOOO I'm sticking with SMBC if there is no heat situation and American Buttercream if heat is going to be a problem.

GrandmaG Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #667 of 1317

I heard the Dawn's liquid frosting base is as good as Bettercreme. Is there one near you?

http://www.dawnfoods.com/public/managed/contact_us/locations/new_jersey/index.asp

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #668 of 1317

I checked the Dawn products site and it is the same story as Rich's. I am smack in the middle of Missouri and the nearest locations were Kansas City and St. Louis. Both cities are over 100 miles one way. I am a hobby baker so don't have enough volume to get a delivery worth my while. I have resigned myself to it. I will make great cakes and goodies without it.

SugarLover2 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #669 of 1317

ok, i think i found a local cake shop that sells it, but decided to try the mock recipe first. it's wonderful!

the only thing is, i whipped that sucker to death and the sugar still didn't dissolve. so, i added in the cooled milk/flour mix (still a bit warm) and the sugar dissolved right away. i popped it in the fridge for another day to mix and use it then.

try it dynee, it's wonderful!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #670 of 1317

What recipe did you try?

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:19am
post #671 of 1317

SugarLover2, use powdered sugar instead next time and you'll easily bypass that problem! And it still tastes just as great! icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #672 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLover2

ok, i think i found a local cake shop that sells it, but decided to try the mock recipe first. it's wonderful!

the only thing is, i whipped that sucker to death and the sugar still didn't dissolve. so, i added in the cooled milk/flour mix (still a bit warm) and the sugar dissolved right away. i popped it in the fridge for another day to mix and use it then.

try it dynee, it's wonderful!

Use extra fine sugar and sift it. Or grind your sugar finer. I make that all the time and it's so delicious! Add some melted white chocolate and it's so yummy!

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #673 of 1317

can someone post the mock recipe for those of us who are bettercreme deprived...

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #674 of 1317

i didn't read everyones post, but you can buy the liquid at GFS, a restaurant supply store, and you do not have to buy a case.

Sams club will sell whippped bettercreme to you. Ask at the cake decorating dept....i have not tried the whipped, but i love the liquid

sayhellojana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #675 of 1317

Yes, please! i have Frostin' Pride, but would like to be able to make it without all of the added chemicals.

GrandmaG Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #676 of 1317

Mock Whipped Cream Frosting

3/4 c. milk
3 tbsp. flour
6 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. shortening
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook milk and flour until thick. Cool. Beat butter, shortening, and sugar for 4 minutes in a bowl. Add flour and milk mixture. Beat 4 minutes. Add vanilla and salt.

WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING

1 c. milk
4 tbsp. flour
1 stick butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix flour and milk together. Heat over medium heat until thickness of Elmer's Glue. Let cool. Blend together butter, shortening and sugar. (Mix well.) Blend in flour mixture and again beat well. Add vanilla, mix 2 minutes more. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour before icing cake

The first one was from the cupcake thread and the second one is from Cooks.com

sayhellojana Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:26am
post #677 of 1317

Awesome! Thanks GrandmaG

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #678 of 1317

thank you thank you thank you....

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #679 of 1317

I know I will need to read more about this. I have Frostin Pride. Is that the same as Bettercreme?? Can I use them interchangably? Or is the structure of the end result different?

TIA

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #680 of 1317

I use Frostin Pride in place of Bettercreme all the time. My Smart and Final only carries the Choc. Bettercreme, not the Vanilla. The Frostin Pride is good, but I don't like the Pastry Pride (too chemically...IMHO!!) Happy Baking!

sayhellojana Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #681 of 1317

Yep, I've always used Frostin' Pride and gave great results. I have tried Pastry Pride, too, but that has a weird, greasy mouthfeel to it.

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #682 of 1317

Sorry if this has been asked, but around my area the only place to get Bettercreme is from a grocery store bakery IF they will sell it to you. Just wondering what other subsitutes there are that do not need to be refigerated that I could get in Canada. I am sure there is something about it in this post already, but I have a class tonight so I won't get a chance to read it all

tomatoqeen Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #683 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Yep, I've always used Frostin' Pride and gave great results. I have tried Pastry Pride, too, but that has a weird, greasy mouthfeel to it.

On a side note Jana: Just got back from a little vacation to the Phoenix area --- LOVED Scottsdale!! (Happened to notice that you are in Scottsdale!!)

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 4:53am
post #684 of 1317

Finally got through all 46 pages! WOW!
Went to Smart & Final, got the Frostin' Pride vanilla and the Rich's Chocolate bettercreme.
With the Frostin' Pride I whipped it up with sugar free cheesecake flavored pudding mix, 1/2 C. milk.... holy cow!! Put that on top (and inside) of chocolate fudge cuppies! OMG! How I haven't gained 50 lbs. is beyond me!

Quick question, after whipping this up, putting in the freezer... thawing out do you re-whip or should it be good out of the bowl?

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm
post #685 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKinster

Quick question, after whipping this up, putting in the freezer... thawing out do you re-whip or should it be good out of the bowl?

I've been wondering this too. I always end up with leftover and it usually gets thrown away. If I could put it back in the freezer after it has been whipped, that would be great!

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #686 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKinster

I've been wondering this too. I always end up with leftover and it usually gets thrown away. If I could put it back in the freezer after it has been whipped, that would be great!

I've wondered this as well. I usually just take a spoon and eat the rest. icon_biggrin.gif

tomatoqeen Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #687 of 1317

Frostin Pride and Bettercreme freeze great!! Currently I have white choc and plain frostin pride in my freezer. For dessert yesterday, I had some cake scraps that I put fresh strawberries over and put a scoop of frostin pride right out of the freezer -- DH ate it up and had no idea it was from the freezer. I usually let it soften from the freezer and spread as usual on my cake -- no re-whipping. It's great and very easy!!

mbt4955 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #688 of 1317

tomatoqueen, what do you put it in to freeze? I am so glad to know that I can refreeze it. I usually have half of a carton in the fridge for longer than it should be ...

I'm going to go home and stick another carton in the refrigerator. I'm doing Tres Leches (Dulce Leche Bettercreme) and WASC Strawberry (White chocolate or cheesecake Bettercreme) cupcakes for Friday at work, but only about 4 dozen between the two. Then Melvira's Chocolate Malt to feed the firemen next Tuesday. I'll just mark my leftovers and have them in the freezer when I need just a little bit.

Thanks!

tomatoqeen Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #689 of 1317

I just have my leftovers in a Tupperware container in the freezer. I usually put plastic wrap over the surface to keep it from getting dried out or sticky and then just put the lid on. Haven't had any problems!

P.S. All your cuppies sound delish!! Haven't tried Melvira's malties yet...can't find the malted syrup.. icon_sad.gif

mbt4955 Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:59pm
post #690 of 1317

I couldn't find the malt syrup either, so I used Carnation malted milk powder. I have some ganache in the fridge leftover from a wedding, so I may add the malt to it or just leave it like it is. The cupcakes are delicious by themselves and I've added the malt powder to Bettercreme, so I can only imagine what everything will taste like together! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%