Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #631 of 1317

I actually got some! And the blue raspberry too. I figure that it will appeal to the kids. Adults may not be crazy about it, but kids will be all over it. I'll let you know if it's any good in my narrow opinion!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #632 of 1317

Let us know Mel. Are you going to frost cupcakes with it?

Melvira Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #633 of 1317

Yah, I think so! I thought about doing something like cotton candy cupcakes with blue raspberry bettercreme icing or something like that. Or just vanilla cuppies, I haven't decided yet. I will certainly let you guys know!

GrandmaG Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #634 of 1317

I was thinking about doing something like that too. I posted on the cupcake thread. I thought maybe some cotton candy, popcorn and snow cone flavors! Not sure how I'll do popcorn but they used to have popcorn flavored jelly beans that were so good! Ohhhh, that's another idea! Jelly bean flavors!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:20pm
post #635 of 1317

Jelly Belly still has the popcorn flavored jelly bellys. You could make a super buttery bc, pile in the butter flavoring from wilton or LorAnn's.

chassidyg Posted 21 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #636 of 1317

I just noticed that the LorAnn's website has their drams for 1.40, cheaper then Ive seen elsewhere with a lot more flavors!

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #637 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassidyg

I just noticed that the LorAnn's website has their drams for 1.40, cheaper then Ive seen elsewhere with a lot more flavors!

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

You'll save a lot more if you buy the 1oz and 4oz bottles from them. I can't get the larger butter flavor anywhere else!

And don't forget that you can use their "flavors for chocolate" and "beverage & ice-cream flavors", too. Irish cream, for instance, doesn't come in the concentrated oils.

GrandmaG Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #638 of 1317

Shopbetty's still has them for $1.09.
http://www.shopbettys.com/detail.aspx?ID=108

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #639 of 1317

a great idea for the green apple syrup is to make green apple cupcakes and put a caramel icing on the top. man that would be awesome!!!

Melvira Posted 22 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #640 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygravy

a great idea for the green apple syrup is to make green apple cupcakes and put a caramel icing on the top. man that would be awesome!!!

Uh-huh, oh yah!! Mmmmmm

baking_fool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking_fool Posted 22 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #641 of 1317

Hi I have been reading this thred and just wanted to add that if any one (like me lol) lives in an area where there is not Sams club, Smart and Final I found this web sight that sells Bettercreme
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/2/CLID/26/N/117505/Frozen-Bettercreme-Icing-and-Fillings.htm
I figured I would post it in case any one else was having as much trouble finding it as me icon_razz.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 22 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #642 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by baking_fool

Hi I have been reading this thred and just wanted to add that if any one (like me lol) lives in an area where there is not Sams club, Smart and Final I found this web sight that sells Bettercreme
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/2/CLID/26/N/117505/Frozen-Bettercreme-Icing-and-Fillings.htm
I figured I would post it in case any one else was having as much trouble finding it as me icon_razz.gif

baking_fool, were you able to find out where they ship to or if you have to be close enough for a truck delivery? I had found several possibilities (before I found a source), but they all delivered ... and not to College Station, Texas. Just wondering - this would be good, but they are a little pricy. I would have paid it just to get Bettercreme.

I did see this ... A 3 Case minimum applies to all bulk-food items. You can combine any three different bulk-food items to make the minimum. Non-food items dont count toward this minimum.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #643 of 1317

""Mock Whipped Icing (MWI)

3/4 c. milk
3 tbsp. flour
6 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. shortening
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook milk and flour until thick. Allow to cool completely then pass through a sieve to remove any possible lumps. Cream butter, shortening, and sugar for 4 minutes. Add flour and milk mixture. Beat 4 minutes. Add vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar, mix on high until light and fluffy. Use as you would the PW WI.""

just curious, itsays to cream butter, shortening and sugar...then later says to add vanilla salt and powdered sugar.

When do I add the sugar or is there more sugar missing from the recipe because it says it twice. Thanks!

Also...dying to make the chocolate malt and I was wondering, is there any malt in the actual cake or just the filling? Also, I may have asked this before but I cant find it so....is there any difference if you make cakes instead of cuppies? Any change to the recipe?

Also, i am usually a cake person...if i try cupcakes i dont want to overbake them. How long do they usually cook? 325 or 350?
Thanks so much I am going to try tomorrow!

steffla Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:22pm
post #644 of 1317

Anyone know about the mock whipped icing or any of my other questions? I appreciate your help, I have to go to the grocery store in the morning icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #645 of 1317

Hey steffla, sorry, I've been caking all day! I unfrotunately have never made that recipe myself, and I haven't any idea how to answer the question. I am hopefull that someone will be able to clarify so I can correct it on the recipe document as well. Anyone?? Please! icon_lol.gif

steffla Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #646 of 1317

thanks mel! Do you know about the chocolate malt questions?

"Also...dying to make the chocolate malt and I was wondering, is there any malt in the actual cake or just the filling? Also, I may have asked this before but I cant find it so....is there any difference if you make cakes instead of cuppies? Any change to the recipe?

Also, i am usually a cake person...if i try cupcakes i dont want to overbake them. How long do they usually cook? 325 or 350?
Thanks so much I am going to try tomorrow!"

bobbieb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobbieb Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:47am
post #647 of 1317

Steffla: That is the recipe I have used many times. My directions are to cook flour and milk until thick. Cool. Beat butter, shortening, and powdered sugar for 4 min. Add salt and vanilla. Add flour/milk mixture and beat for 4 more minutes. Beating each step 4 minutes is the key to this recipe. I think whoever posted the recipe that you have, made a typo.

Hopefully, this makes sense!

Bobbieb

steffla Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #648 of 1317

Thank you so much bobbie!!!

chassidyg Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #649 of 1317

Someone in the cupcake thread made the mocked icing a lot, but for the life of me at the moment I cant remember who!

chassidyg Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #650 of 1317

Steffla. do you have Mel's recipe? I'll post it, but shhhhhh, it's a secret. lol. Her recipe you put malt powder in the cake batter itself, & malt topping in the bettercreme.

Melvira's Malted Cuppies

Contributed by Melvira

I guess my recipe is kind of lame, it's just a doctored mix, but since I introduced a lot of you to the evil powers of Whoppers Syrup, I suppose we could add it to the file. I hadn't even realized it wasn't there until a couple people were asking which one was mine... then I looked and realized it was neither! I don't want anyone to think I am taking credit for their recipes, so we'll put my lame one in there! Hehehe.

Malted Cuppies Take Over Earth!!

1 Devil's Food Cake mix
1 pkg Devil's Food Jell-O pudding mix
1/4 c. Carnation malt powder (chocolate or vanilla)
1 Tablespoon Hershey's cocoa powder
4 eggs
1 1/8 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons vanilla
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix all ingredients to moisten, then scrape sides of the bowl and beat on medium for 1 minute. (Batter will be THICK!) Scoop into cupcake liners or nut cups. Place in oven and immediately drop oven temp to 350 degrees. (If you bake in multiple batches, raise temp back to 400 between batches.) Bake for approximately 28 minutes, or until done. Yields 24-28 cupcakes.

Malted Filling

2 cups Bettercreme
1/2 cup Hersheys Whoppers Malt Syrup

POur both ingredients into mixing bowl, whip to semi-stiff peaks. Fill cooled cupcakes. Will fill 24-28 cupcakes.

Malted Ganache

1/3 cup whipping cream
2 Tablespoons malt powder or Hersheys Whoppers Malt Syrup
1 cup mini Nestle morsels

Heat whipping cream to boiling, add malt powder and stir to dissolve. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. (Strain if needed to insure smooth texture with no lumps.) Dip tops of filled cupcakes in ganache, allow to set, then decorate with leftover filling. Will cover 24-28 cupcakes depending on how thick you coat them. If you prefer, you can make additional filling and ice cupcakes with the Bettercreme instead of ganache.

This is a very simple 'doctored mix' recipe, but trust me... it gets LOTS of addicts banging on your door!

steffla Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #651 of 1317

Thank you everyone!!! Will let you know how it goes tomorrow!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #652 of 1317

chassidyg, thank you so much for posting that recipe ... and I won't tell Mel. icon_biggrin.gif I made "plain old" Devils Food cupcakes with chocolate malt Bettercreme and they were amazing. I can hardly wait to try these! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #653 of 1317

SONOFA....

That recipe, I just noticed it says to bake 28 minutes. I apologize to anyone who tried that... you should only bake 18. Oh my gosh, I feel so bad about that. I bake 18 minutes almost unfailingly.

steffla Posted 23 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #654 of 1317

Wow thanks for pointing that out, I would most certainly have tried 28 minutes!!!

Melvira Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #655 of 1317

OMG, I am SO sorry. I just feel awful for anyone who tried to use my recipe and burnt the living crap out of a pan of cupcakes. I feel like smacking myself a good one right now. icon_redface.gif

steffla Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #656 of 1317

Okay, so I just tried the chocolate malt cupcakes!! I used the Carnation chocolate malt powder because I couldn't find the syrup. I have no bettercreme and considered using the mock whipped icing but as its almost midnight and these are for the morning I decided to test that another day. I used Indydebi's buttercream with the malt powder (Fabulous by the way!!!) and the malted ganache. Filled them, dipped them in the ganache, topped with more malted buttercream and a whoppers candy.....OH MY GOSH!!! These are insanely good!!! (Did I mention that I hate whoppers and malt...but not these!) Thank you sooooooooo much Melvira!!! These are now a staple for me!

GrandmaG Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #657 of 1317

OK steffla, after that description I have to make these! I've known about them for a year now but I don't care much for malt either. I'm definitely going to make them!

chassidyg Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #658 of 1317

You havent tried them Grandma! They are good, even for the non choc lovers.

Mel, in honesty, I never noticed the 28 minutes, lol. Ive always baked reg's for 18 min, and thats what I automatically did, lol.

And Grandma, Mel has tried them with strawberry malt balls & the peanut butter malt balls I believe. I think she used vanilla powdered, and not sure about the bettercreme though.

steffla Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #659 of 1317

Okay so here's the post party description:

I brought the cupcakes and people were ooohing and ahhing just looking at them and hearing what flavor they were. Then they started eating them and I was almost embarrassed at the amount of attention I got from these. All day..."Who made these?" "Did YOU make these?" "Oh my god these are incredible!" " These are soooo amazing" " Wow, these cupcakes are delicious!" " I dont even eat cupcakes but I had to have one because everyone i s raving, and wow!!!".....................an so on and so on!

It was the craziest thing! Thanks Mel!

Having said that, and obviously loving them myself as well, I sort of realized that the reason I love them is because I didnt really taste the malt flavor and I dont like malt. But that got me wondering...did I do something wrong? Can you all usually taste a distinct malt flavoring in them? I didnt in the cake, the ganache or the buttercream. I used the chocolate malt powder, should i have used the original? Maybe i will increase the amounts next time just to see....and YES there will be a next time because I was like a hero at that party, LOL. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

chassidyg Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:36pm
post #660 of 1317

I dont taste malty malt, but it's there just enough, but not overloaded!

Mel, I'm a dummy, when I made these a few weeks ago couldnt figure out what was off about them, just realized I didnt put the malt syrup in the ganache...I literally have to wrestle it away from Tyler now, he puts in reg & choc milk, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%