Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #691 of 1317

Ok I finally got through all 46 pages, made multiple phone calls, need to try about a million flavour variations, need to try making the mock bettercreme so I can try the variations cause it seems no one in Canada sells Bettercreme and do a LOT of working out so I can work off all of the extra calories. Oh and there is so much knowledge here! You gals are all great!

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:07am
post #692 of 1317

I was purchased a whole case (12 cartons) of the chocolate Bettercreme and when i made a cake and iced it... I really didn't like it as much. as the white version icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I love using the chocolate moussee as cake filling on dark chocolate fudge cake..

I only bake for myself and family and use Bettercreme because they LOVE IT!.

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 8:19am
post #693 of 1317

iramirez94, did you try making the "richer" version with a pudding mix? I made my chocolate bettercreme with a box of chocolate pudding mix and a 1/2 C. milk. I also had a sample of dulce de leche from amoretti and added that too... everyone said it tasted like hot chocolate. yum!

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:44pm
post #694 of 1317

Ladykinster.. that sounds yummy. I will try it soon and see what my family says.

They didn't like the chocolate bettercreme..they said it was too sweet? How can anything ever be "too sweet" icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestions..

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #695 of 1317

Dag blast it all -- I'm not getting email notices on this thread!! icon_mad.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #696 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Dag blast it all -- I'm not getting email notices on this thread!! icon_mad.gif

I don't know how the notices get turned off, but it happens to me a lot. They are all still on my "watched topics" list, but no notices are coming. icon_cry.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #697 of 1317

Well I'm glad to know it's not just me. Oh well, variety is the spice of life as they say... icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #698 of 1317

This is an awesome thread! thank you!

The buttercream icing that you make, is it also good for cakes? I use the wiltons recipe now and it has a lot of those little holes all over it (if you know what I'm talking about) I want to start doing buttercream cakes as well as the fondant cakes I am already doing but I cant do that with the buttercream icing I am currently making. Am I doing something wrong to create these air holes or is it the recipe? I would really like to know! Thank you!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #699 of 1317

bmarlow - this thread is all about bettercreme, note the spelling. It is a product that you whipp up. It is like grocery store icing - whippy, less sweet than PS buttercreams. Frostin' Pride and Dawn Velvety top are similar. You can't use it under fondant.

The air holes are from the process of making your buttercream. Sugarshack has a cool technique to get air-free buttercream, and Serious_Cake's has a video on youtube that shows how to smooth them out. They are just part of buttercream for the most part.

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #700 of 1317

Some one help.. I've been reading a lot of posts about this infamous bettercreme. I relly want to get some and just so happens my MIL has a restaurant and orders from sysco. I read that I will probably have to buy a case. My question is does this stuff expire (well im sure it does) but how long is the shelf life? I don't have a business, so I wouldn't use it everyday. TIA icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #701 of 1317

Rather than start a new thread, I am going to post this question here. I know the information is on CC somewhere because I've seen it, but there are way too many Bettercreme threads to search through all of them.

Can anyone tell me where Bettercreme liquid is available in Houston and the surrounding area? I have a source for myself personally, but am trying to find the information for someone else.

Thanks so much!! icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #702 of 1317

No idea mbt. Smart & final? Try Walmart or Sams? Same places everyone else has to check

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #703 of 1317

My cousins baby shower is this weekend and she loves bettercream. I'm making the cake but never have worked with it. I have a few questions though. Does it have to stay in the fridge? Can it be colored? Can it be piped with?

I had a baby block theme I was going to do, but now that she wants bettercream I know I can't do it because it can't go under fondant so I'm trying to come up with new ideas.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #704 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Does it have to stay in the fridge? Can it be colored? Can it be piped with?

It's stable at room temp for up to 5 days.

It can be colored, pastels are easiest.

It can be piped to a certain degree.

tab26852 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab26852 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #705 of 1317

I use the Bettercreme alot and yes it can be colored I always add alittle meringe powder to mine it makes it easier to work with but you have to use it fairly quick or it gets to stiff from the meringe powder so just mix aliitle at a time and if using the meringe powder it can stay out of the refrigerator longer I have left mine out for several hours as long as its not real hot. Good luck with your cake.

tab26852 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab26852 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:06pm
post #706 of 1317

I use the Bettercreme alot and yes it can be colored I always add alittle meringe powder to mine it makes it easier to work with but you have to use it fairly quick or it gets to stiff from the meringe powder so just mix aliitle at a time and if using the meringe powder it can stay out of the refrigerator longer I have left mine out for several hours as long as its not real hot. Good luck with your cake. The most important thing when working with bettercreme is make sure it is completely thawed before using.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 9:06pm
post #707 of 1317

To me, Bettercreme has the texture of whipped cream. It is Non-Dairy and temperature stable so no, it does not need to be refrigerated after whipping. Yes, it can be colored. Yes it can be piped, but the piping options may be limited to simple borders and such because of its light and fluffy texture. You're right that it can't go under fondant, but maybe you could just leave the blocks iced in Bettercreme. I recently did Baby Boy blocks and Baby Girl blocks in buttercream, but I think it would work with Bettercreme too. Pics are on the top row of my photos. I think they turned out pretty well for not using fondant. My cut outs were fondant, but maybe you could pipe letters, numbers and designs with different colored bettercreme.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #708 of 1317

Thank you. I'm not sure what I'm going to design wise now since it's very limited, but at least I know now it can be colored and left out since it's non-dairy for a few days. I'll try a few borders first on a board to see if they will hold. Thanks for all of your help. This is a great thread!

sayhellojana Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #709 of 1317

I think bettercream and be piped with more than people give it credit for - but maybe thats just me because I'm used to working with IMBC, and everyone says the same about it. I can do roses and such with both.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #710 of 1317

Has anyone used bettercreme with nutella? Thanks!

tomatoqeen Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #711 of 1317

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #712 of 1317

Do these recipes work well with making roses?

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #713 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoqeen

Here is a thread on Nutella. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624874.html

tomatoqeen Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #714 of 1317

Thanks Tammy!!

tomatoqeen Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm
post #715 of 1317

Thanks Tammy!!

arbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arbakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:02am
post #716 of 1317

Okay, i'm going nuts trying to find this product icon_cry.gif Any ideas how i can locate it...i've tried sam's and walmart and local supply store and NOTHING! can it be shipped from a website or something along those lines? I'm out in California. Any info would be great!

tomatoqeen Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:32am
post #717 of 1317

I get mine at Smart and Final, but it is also available at a local Grand Events store (party store).

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:04am
post #718 of 1317

My local (CA) S&F carries it but only in chocolate. The vanilla product they carry is Pastry Pride but I think that stuff's nasty IMO. However my local cake decorating store carries Bettercreme. It's in the back so I would never have known had I not been chatting with the owner about nonperishable icings and fillings. If you have a local cake decorating store, you might want to give them a call and see if they stock it?

tomatoqeen Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:00am
post #719 of 1317

ceshell -- you are absoultely right. I get the choc. Bettercreme from S&F, the Frostin Pride from S&F (much better than Pastry Pride), and the vanilla bettercreme from the party store (if I travel far enough; usually I just use FP for all my recipes that call for vanilla bettercreme). My cake store carries another kind of non-dairy whipped topping, but I haven't tried it yet. It's about as far away as the party store, so it is a special trip. May have to try that next time!

sayhellojana Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:41am
post #720 of 1317

Frostin' Pride is what I use from Smart and Final and I've never had problems with it. Tastes great with stuff added.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%