Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

wellsbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wellsbull Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 8:34pm
post #1291 of 1317

AHi Shanter,

Thanks for responding. I recently got a mixer and have been inspired to use it. :)

In regards to the flavor, what types of products would you use? I have vanilla extract at home and could use those but, other flavors... Just wondering what types. :)

For the last two questions "4. Can you pipe it and not have problems with melting? 5. Can you put the cake after its been decorated in the freezer and taken out the day of the party?" I too hope someone could answer that. I was just hoping by pitting t in the freezer that it wont change the texture, taste and density.

Thanks to all those that can comment.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:45pm
post #1292 of 1317

wellsbull,

I've used both grocery-store extracts and LorAnn. It depends on what I have that will give me the results I want.

I haven't used the carton of whipped topping much, but a few times and it always was well-received.

wellsbull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wellsbull Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 2:13am
post #1293 of 1317

AThanks Shanter.

I will be making the cake in a few days and will post the result.

Adris Pastries Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adris Pastries Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 2:38pm
post #1294 of 1317

AI accidentally left 3 cartons of frostin pride in my car last night :( when I got to it it was room temp. Is it bad or can I still use it??

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 12:38am
post #1295 of 1317

I didn't read through all the flavors…but I have used:

6 drops of coconut Lorann flavoring and paired with a dark chocolate cake ---  MOUNDS cake  (shredded coconut as well)        

When paired with an almond cake and ganache   ---   ALMOND JOY

I have put ice cream topping to make a chocolate cream

For adults, I have made simply syrups using Baileys and then flavor the Bettercream with Baileys (variety of flavors)  

mollineau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mollineau Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 12:30pm
post #1296 of 1317

That sounds so delicious yum

Joan Gonzales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joan Gonzales Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 7:50pm
post #1297 of 1317

Awhen you say Buttercream , I wonder why you buy it when it's so easy to make ! Butter, pinch of salt , powdered sugar , a few tablespoons of milk , dump it all into your stand mixer and let it whip away while you are baking , etc. Add more liguid if it needs to be creamier . That's it ! maybe a bit of vanilla or almond flavor ,! Easiest part of making a cake and delicious with no preservatives needed !

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 9:57pm
post #1298 of 1317

buttercream is easy to make.

Bettercreme is a commercial product that comes frozen.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 12:28pm
post #1299 of 1317

They are talking about non dairy whip topping Called Bettercream. 

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 3:08pm
post #1300 of 1317

It's spelled Bettercreme.

Joan Gonzales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joan Gonzales Posted 17 Apr 2014 , 3:11pm
post #1301 of 1317

A

Original message sent by Natka81

They are talking about [SIZE=12px][B]non dairy whip topping[/B][/SIZE] Called Bettercream. 

Original message sent by pastrypet

buttercream is easy to make. [SIZE=16px]Bettercreme[/SIZE] is a commercial product that comes frozen.

shikhamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shikhamj Posted 2 Dec 2014 , 4:31pm
post #1302 of 1317

ASorry to jump in between the post , where can I buy bettercreme pre whipped pail. I'm trying to find , I live in ct , SAMs used to sell them but now they don't . Do you know a place I can get them. Thank you

funzo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funzo Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 10:56pm
post #1303 of 1317

Thank you ! This is an awesome thread!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 5:33pm
post #1304 of 1317

Yes, it's nice that this thread has been resurrected with so many new people around.  I really don't remember it but there is so much good information in it when one can take the time to read through the whole thing.  

funzo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funzo Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 11:55am
post #1305 of 1317

Quote by @kakeladi on 18 hours ago

Yes, it's nice that this thread has been resurrected with so many new people around.  I really don't remember it but there is so much good information in it when one can take the time to read through the whole thing.  

I agree. I really appreciate all the experiences that you guys have shared with us newbies!

candyandcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyandcakes Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 2:32pm
post #1306 of 1317

thanks for all the advice using Bettercream.  I'm simply trying to make a chocolate bettercream.  So after whipping up 2 cups of the plain bettercream at which point do I start adding in the chocolate, liquid stage or whipped stage?  And what kind of chocolate do I add:  instant chocolate pudding, chocolate ganach or cocoa powder?

Thanks  Candace

kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2016 , 9:26pm
post #1307 of 1317

What you use for the choco will depend on how rich, deep a choco flavor you want.  I suggest using cocoa powder which would be added after it is whipped.  The grease in the cocoa powder would prevent it from whipping up.  The pudding choice would give you a much milder finished choco flavor but certainly is useable.  

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 2:30pm
post #1308 of 1317

Hershey's has a dark chocolate pudding. I usually just use that. You can always add a little cocoa powder at the end if you want a richer chocolate flavor.

kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2016 , 5:18pm
post #1309 of 1317

I forgot to explain adding cocoa powder to bettercreme......you need to whip it up to just beyond soft peek stage then stir in the cocoa.  You don't want to over whip the bettercreme.  I think I'd do the same w/pudding

kakebrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakebrown Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 11:10pm
post #1310 of 1317

Are there secrets for getting the Bettercreme to smooth on a cake.  I have found that you cannot smooth in the same way as Buttercream. 

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 11:17pm
post #1311 of 1317

The only real secret is to not overwhip it. If you keep it from overwhipping it will have a smooth glossy finish. If you whip it too much you get more of a curdy texture with lots of air pockets. I usually stop whipping right before I feel it's really done and let it rest for a few minutes. It tends to thicken just slightly after resting, and if it's still not thick enough you can whip it more without hurting it. Once you get the right consistency make sure you don't rewhip. Only gently stir in color or flavor if adding it at that point.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 11:21pm
post #1312 of 1317

By the way, I haven't been here on CC in a long time, so I hope no one feels I have ignored their questions. If someone has further questions that haven't been answered please repost or message me. I am also available by email or text/phone if you send me a PM requesting it. I know I'm not the only one who can answer questions of course, I just don't want anyone to think they're being passed over if they werespecifically wanting to ask me. Thanks you guys.

kakeladi Posted 28 Aug 2016 , 11:47pm
post #1313 of 1317

Hey Melvira sooooooooo  nice to see you back!!    

.? asked:.........Are there secrets for getting the Bettercreme to smooth on a cake........ 

.answer:.......The only real secret is to not overwhip it. If you keep it from overwhipping it will have a smooth glossy finish. If you whip it too much you get more of a curdy texture with lots of air pockets. I usually stop whipping right before I feel it's really done and let it rest for a few minutes. It tends to thicken just slightly after resting, and if it's still not thick enough you can whip it more without hurting it. Once you get the right consistency make sure you don't rewhip. Only gently stir in color or flavor if adding it at that point........

And you are soooo right on that answer!   I have found it best NOT to defrost either - Just spoon out the semi frozen product and start whipping it.  

And if it is over whipped it will crack on the cake.   It will smooth on, then like 15 minutes later it will start to crack.  Even if you take and smooth over it w/unwhipped it will crack again :(  That is a sure sign that it is over whipped!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Sep 2016 , 11:44pm
post #1314 of 1317

I love Bettercream.  I make a lot of cake fillings using it as a base for flavors. I haven't been in here for awhile. Work takes me away from here. I kind of miss this place and the friends I made here! <3

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 Sep 2016 , 3:08am
post #1315 of 1317

Hello, Edna! Nice to see you. kissing_heart.png I admire you so much.  You and Melvira have inspired and motivated many here.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Sep 2016 , 4:01am
post #1316 of 1317

Thanks for the complements! Melvira is awesome, I love her too! 

kakebrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakebrown Posted 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am
post #1317 of 1317

Have yo ever made mint chocolate chip with the Bettercreme?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%