Bettercreme Fun!

Baking By Melvira Updated 28 Oct 2016 , 1:47am by kakebrown

Squeeky3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Squeeky3 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:19pm
post #1201 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by briony84

Ok, I tried to read this forum last year, but gave up coz I was jealous of our lack of Bettercreme here in the UK, but finally decided to try the mock whipped icing recipe posted a few pages back, and OMG, it's AMAZING!

I had a bit of trepidation trying a frosting recipe with flour in, it just sounds strange, but it somehow works. Also used double the amount of butter coz we didn't have any shortening and it came out great.

It's now my personal mission to convert everyone to whipped icing!!

haha That's exactly how I felt! The Mock recipe felt so much like real whipped icing that I kept thinking "these need to be refrigerated! ... oh wait, no they don't ..." hehe

Sooo ... I didn't get a chance to make the Mango Mousse but since I had a little bit of the MWI left, I put a little bit of Mango Puree (Pulp) until I thought it was right (didn't want to water it down) and it had such a nice mango moussy flavour! I got my husband to try it with some cake and he couldn't stop saying "mmmm!" thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:34pm
post #1202 of 1317

Squeeky, that is awesome! YUM!!

Yah, pretty much the rule with whipped icing is to not add enough liquid to start breaking it down. As long as you don't get too liquidy, you can do almost anything!! SO fun, and SO good!

Dimons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dimons Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:29pm
post #1203 of 1317

Thanks for the reply on the Strawberry filling. So if the canned strawberry filling says "refrigerate after opening" do you think it will be o.k. to leave out overnight filled in the cake? I was planning on decorating the cake with fondant the night before.

Melvira Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:01am
post #1204 of 1317

*snork* SOOO many people know what I'm about to say because I've given them this same helpful advice when asked!! icon_lol.gif

I'm not saying you CAN AND SHOULD leave it out at room temp... All I know is that I HAVE done that on many occasions and it has been perfectly fine. No one has ever gotten sick or anything like that. So, taking my personal experience into consideration, you can decide whether or not you feel comfortable leaving it out. icon_wink.gif (Translation: M'eh, I would, but please don't try to sue me for saying it!)

Dimons Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:41am
post #1205 of 1317

LOL Thanks for your reply, I will go ahead and try it. You have been so helpful. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:15am
post #1206 of 1317

My pleasure! thumbs_up.gif

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 10:13pm
post #1207 of 1317

Gonna try some of these icon_lol.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 2:11pm
post #1208 of 1317

I made an Irish Cream filling last night and it was awesome. I used white choc pudding bettercream and Bailey's.....yummy! Melvira on a non-bettercream question when you use perishable fillings how do you refrigerate cupcakes? I'm worried about them drying out. Thanks

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:57am
post #1209 of 1317

I have a couple of questions about the mock whipped icing. Am I understanding correct that it does not have to be refrigerated?

I am wondering how it will mix with other add-ins. I have gotten pre-whipped Bettercreme from a local bakery (as that is all that is avail). I have noticed that when I stir in-say-caramel topping, after I use it as filling and taste it later the filling has become dry/stiff. I assume this is from over-mixing, but I do not fold more than I have to to avoid this, but it doesn't matter. Any tips to avoid this with the mock icing??
Thanks!!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:42pm
post #1210 of 1317

Did I miss where someone asked about using whipped cream, instead of the bettercreme? That is what I do with the pudding for filling...must have missed it.

pburgess68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pburgess68 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1211 of 1317

I bought a tub of Bettercream today, but before I open it, I have a question to ask.

I remember reading something about not being able to use fondant decorations and use bettercream as well. How about gum paste decorations? I have made tons of flowers and shells for a birthday and a wedding, and I would rather return the bettercream if I have to, compared to redoing the cake layouts.

What would be the best way to use the gum paste decos? Regular buttercream? Some are mixed with fondant as well.

Took me forever to find this thread again. Probably should have asked before I drove an hour to get it icon_sad.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:37am
post #1212 of 1317

It looks like we're still not getting notices on this threadicon_sad.gif I can't answer many questions but if you use real whipping cream with pudding it has to be kept refrigerated.

On a side note, I wanted to post that I froze my whipped up Irish cream filling made with bettercreme for 3 weeks and it held up great. Thawed it and it was ready to go. I was able to fill 36 cupcakes with 1 cup liquid bettercreme whipped with 1/2 box of pudding. I'm not sure if we've ever discussed how much bettercreme you need for certain orders so I thought I would share. I only filled the cupcakes with bettercreme filling. I iced them with ganache.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 8:39pm
post #1213 of 1317

Hey Melvira! I was just googling bettercreme with cream cheese and noticed a post you made many a years ago where you added 1/2 c sugar to your cream cheese, 1pk pudding, 1/4 c milk, 2 c bettercreme. Do you still use that recipe or have you taken out the sugar on the main page because you like it better without????

Just wondering, I'm thinking bout trying it....no rush...thanks icon_cool.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&printertopic=1&t=594617&start=30&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult&sid=43a5e6b66df87bcd268f990921e4c4a5 

Squeeky3 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:23am
post #1214 of 1317

Hey guys ...

I'm planning to make Tiramisu cupcakes tomorrow and I wanted to make a mocha-coffee type flavoured mock whipped icing. I couldn't get a hold of tiramisu coffee creamer so was wondering what I could do to make it more coffee-like?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #1215 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Hey Melvira! I was just googling bettercreme with cream cheese and noticed a post you made many a years ago where you added 1/2 c sugar to your cream cheese, 1pk pudding, 1/4 c milk, 2 c bettercreme. Do you still use that recipe or have you taken out the sugar on the main page because you like it better without????

Just wondering, I'm thinking bout trying it....no rush...thanks icon_cool.gif
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&printertopic=1&t=594617&start=30&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult&sid=43a5e6b66df87bcd268f990921e4c4a5 

Never mind icon_smile.gif I tried it out with the sugar but used powdered and added 1/2 c, I wanted to make it more stable since it has cream cheese in it. I tested it and left it out for 2 days and it still tastes delicious....going to leave some out one more day and see if it spoils....thanks!

Squeeky3 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #1216 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinecc

Never mind icon_smile.gif I tried it out with the sugar but used powdered and added 1/2 c, I wanted to make it more stable since it has cream cheese in it. I tested it and left it out for 2 days and it still tastes delicious....going to leave some out one more day and see if it spoils....thanks!

That sounds interesting ... I think it'll work great for my tiramisu cupcakes. I have a mascarpone recipe but don't want to use it, too pricey hehe So the cream cheese one should work well!

Glad to hear it's yummy and that it's stable icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1217 of 1317

Hopefully it works out, it sure is yummy! I wouldn't leave it out more than two days though.

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 3 May 2011 , 6:16pm
post #1218 of 1317

You all make me smile! icon_smile.gif

It's probably in here somewhere, but I got a little lost in the 83 pages of this post.....

Bettercream vs. Pastry Pride - - - is it basically the same? Or is Bettercream more like Frostin' Pride?

I am trying to find it at our local Sam's or Smart N Final.....I'm sure there is some to be had around here somewhere!

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 21 May 2011 , 3:59pm
post #1219 of 1317

Melvira, I have a question. Do you have to refrigerate the cake after being frosted or can it be left at room temperature, if so, for how long?
thank you.

SheriCakes4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheriCakes4u Posted 24 May 2011 , 11:39pm
post #1220 of 1317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa369

Melvira, I have a question. Do you have to refrigerate the cake after being frosted or can it be left at room temperature, if so, for how long?
thank you.

I emailed the company, and the reply I got was "A cake decorated with the Bettercreme product can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days. Before it is on the cake it should be kept frozen or after thawed refrigerated.

The Bettercreme product is only distributed to foodservice and bakery operators. It is not sold at the retail level in grocery stores. Therefore, the best way for a consumer to obtain it for home use would be through a foodservice distributor. Many foodservice distributors offer cash & carry service where a consumer can purchase a foodservice product. Two national foodservice distributors are Sysco (www.sysco.com) and US Foodservice (www.usfoodservice.com)."

Dimons Posted 29 May 2011 , 9:59pm
post #1221 of 1317

Melvira, whould you happen to know what causes the colored sprinkles to bleed on the bettercreme icing?

SheriCakes4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheriCakes4u Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:03pm
post #1222 of 1317

I've read about 1/2 way through the posts, and didn't see where my questions had been addressed...please forgive if they are repeats.

1) does the pudding addition affect the way you store it? I would think the pudding needed to be refrigerated.

2) can modeling chocolate be used on a cake with bettercreme?

The only kind of bettercreme i can get my hands on is the pre-whipped. I have only just started playing with it.

Thanks for any help on this. I'm making a cake for tomorrow.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:16am
post #1223 of 1317

1) does the pudding addition affect the way you store it? I would think the pudding needed to be refrigerated.

No, by adding only the instant pudding mix that's been made into a paste using hot water, you haven't added any dairy and you haven't added much water, so the product remains shelf stable at a room temp under 80F.

2) can modeling chocolate be used on a cake with bettercreme? I'd test it first. Bettercreme has a high liquid content and that can cause some color leaching and some melting of things put on it, especially in hot and/or humid conditions.

HTH
Rae

kentuckysugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckysugar Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1224 of 1317

I have the quart of bettercreme and am having a party tomorrow for my sons b-day. Would it be fine for me to whip/flavor the bettercreme tonight and store it until tomorrow morning? Fridge or just airtight container on the counter?

I am making cupcakes in ice cream cones and am worried about them getting soggy, so I am going to bake them in the morning and let them cool, and want to frost right before the party. I personally think the bettercreme tastes better after it is flavored and sits for a day or so, but I haven't done this without actually putting it on the cake/cupcake first.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:38pm
post #1225 of 1317

Sure. It can sit at temps under 80F for up to 5 days. If I'm going to use it the next morning, I just leave on the counter so it's easier to pipe/spread.

Rae

kentuckysugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckysugar Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:49pm
post #1226 of 1317

Thanks! I kind of suspected that was the case, just wanted to check and see if anyone else had done that. I think the flavor improves as it sits, so I would like to make it now and have it to use tomorrow.

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 12:26pm
post #1227 of 1317

I was planning on making cupcakes topped with bettercreme and brightly colored fondant numbers...have any of you tried something like that before? I'm not sure if the bettercreme will break down the fondant or if the colors will bleed into the white bettercreme icon_confused.gif Thanks, guys! icon_smile.gif
P.S. If anybody has found the liquid Bettercreme in the DFW area, please let me know. I found it at one store, but they charge me $9 a quart. Thank you!

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 1:11pm
post #1228 of 1317

Thanks Melvira. This is great, I will try some of these!

floursifter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floursifter Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 1:22pm
post #1229 of 1317

Does anyone in Canada know where it can be bought/ordered retail? Thanks.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 10:12pm
post #1230 of 1317

Im not sure if it has been asked but after searching high and low for bettercream the only thing i could find here in Canada is Richs Whip topping. has anyone used this? The directions say to thaw and then whip. My concern is if it is as stable as the bettercream seems to be.
thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%