Check Out The Stinky Cake I Bought For My Son...

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm by lauramw71

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 57

So my 6 year old wanted a "bought cake" for his birthday. I am not going to say the name of the grocery store I bought this from, because I don't want to start anything, but I will say when I arrived to pick it up, it was not done. They had to decorate it while I waited. I paid 20.00 and got a crappy cake that tasted like chemicals.
LL

56 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 57

I wouldn't have paid for it! Did you complain?

justfrosting Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 57

Yes, but it was 1 hour before the party. I needed something to put candles in. I will never, ever, buy a grocery store cake again.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 57

What in the world is that supposed to be? I don't understand what the character is and what that brown thing in the corner is supposed to be. I hope your boy liked it anyway.

My oldest always insists on an ice cream store cake - but being the brown noser that he is (and since it's his birthday and he's smart), he says he will sacrifice the cake if it means my having more time to enjoy his birthday with him.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 57

What the heck is that? That's the most bizarre thing I've seen in a while. At least it's good for a laugh (sorry, but you have to laugh at it!) They sure didn't skimp on the food coloring, did they?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 57

I'm sorry, but I would have called the manager, and gotten a frozen cake.... that is TERRIBLE !!!!

holliewest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliewest Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 57

This is just AWEFUL!!!!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 57

GEE,thats worse than my first cake! icon_lol.gif That is horrible I would still call and complain.That cake is UGLY,but how was the taste?

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 57

Awww.....the writing is horrible (amongst other things). They ran out of space. Hope he liked it regardless icon_sad.gif

blackice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blackice Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 57

I think the cakes I did in my first wilton classes were better than that. Maybe the decorator was new???

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 57

I can tell the figure is Iron Man, but oy, that's one awful cake. I'd definitely demand my money back, especially if it tasted bad.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 57

What is it? I can tell its kind of a dark picture.

Jewels14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewels14 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 57

Wow, that is really bad... did they say anything about why it was such poor quality?

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 57

Too funny!

Folks who want a cake for $20 ought to have a look at that and understand that's what their $20 gets them.

I just did a cake for the boyfriend for his bday, and someone was asking me how much I'd charge to make one - I ballparked about $50 - it's a 7 inch chocolate mousse "pie" with piped whipped cream and chocolate dipped strawberries (I just posted a picture on my photos) LOL Too funny - she was SHOCKED that I would charge that much and started to argue that the bakery in town would only charge $25....I smiled and said it was great that she could get the same thing elsewhere for less.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 57

Wow, that's pretty bad. Why did you wait 1 hr before the party to pick it up? Altho, I'll bet getting it earlier wouldn't have helped their mess of decorating! icon_lol.gif I think your little guy had his heart in the right direction, thinking you could spend more time with him at his party.

I hope he had fun blowing out his candles. icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #16 of 57

sometimes at the grocery store the decorator isn't there, and someone else has to wing it...i bet that's what happened...surely thats not what the decorator made!

one time i made the wedding cake for this couple...they thought they would save some money and get the grooms cake from the grocery store.....they brought it in to show me, when they picked up the wedding cake..."congraDulations"...yeah, they spelled it wrong...and the wring started out real big, and got very squeezed up at the end...and there was more crumbs in the icing than a cookies and cream cake....i felt so sorry for them i whipped them up a simple ch/ch 8 inch round to serve ...they sure couldn't put that abomination on the table at a wedding.....

justfrosting Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #17 of 57

Answers: It is Ironman. And the toy is the best part of the cake.

The cake was ordered in advance and I picked it up an hour before because that is when it was supposed to be ready. When I got there they said they had forgotten to make it and would "decorate it real quick". Honestly.

It really is a horrible cake and it tasted like shortening and chemicals. It was dry and disgusting.

BUT.. the kids ate it so I will not ask for my money back. I should know better.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:35pm
post #18 of 57

I would print this thread out with all the comments from decorators like ourselves & send it to the manager letting him know that it was THIER bakery the cake came from (also lets them know that you were nice enough not to bad-mouth his store name). It might not help you out at this point, but it might prevent it happening again to some other customer.

And, just to 2nd everyone's comments.....yes, that is a HORRIBLE cake! The cramed writing, blue spots of food color not mixed in all the way...etc. etc. It looks to me that whomever decorated it was not only inexperienced but also in a hurry to try & get the cake done because it wasn't ready in time.

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #19 of 57

Folks who want a cake for $20 ought to have a look at that and understand that's what their $20 gets them.

What's that old saying, you get what you pay for. Actually it should be "you get less than what you pay for".

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #20 of 57

My 9-yr-old looked at the picture for a while, then guessed that the red thing was a whoopie cushion!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 57

This is sad but funny!!! I hate this happened to you... But do you know.. and I will say the name.. my dd was throwing a MAJOR fit in Wal-Mart for some cupcakes. I didn't have time to fix any so I gave in and bought them. We got home she went to the bathroom.. I sat her CC on the counter waiting for her. Went to take a sheet pan off the counter hit the CC and it BOUNCED off the floor TWICE and the icing BARELY smudged...I picked it up laughing VERY hard... Until I broke it open to see why this cupcake bounced.... it was DISGUSTING...it was hard as a rock and had green things in it!!!!!

I first called the store and the lady in the bakery was obnoxious. I asked to talk to the manager and she hung up on me .. She said she didnt but she did. The manager told me to bring it back..I had to do it the next day though. So I did.... and he was mortified.. bad thing about it was.. the date was marked as it was FRESH!!!!! It couldn't have been.. it was disgusting

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #22 of 57

I feel badly for the person who probably had to fill in or was just beginning to decorate and got left alone to do it. Whoever did it is probably new at doing cakes and if that truly is the case, didn't do too badly.

I do, however, think that the company should be ashamed for putting this person(the decorator of this cake) in such a position that she would feel degraded by a customer.

justfrosting Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:41pm
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCakeGirl

I would print this thread out with all the comments from decorators like ourselves & send it to the manager letting him know that it was THIER bakery the cake came from (also lets them know that you were nice enough not to bad-mouth his store name). It might not help you out at this point, but it might prevent it happening again to some other customer.

And, just to 2nd everyone's comments.....yes, that is a HORRIBLE cake! The cramed writing, blue spots of food color not mixed in all the way...etc. etc. It looks to me that whomever decorated it was not only inexperienced but also in a hurry to try & get the cake done because it wasn't ready in time.

I may do just that. However, I have yet to meet an employee at this grocery store who is kind and polite. SO probably nothing will happen.

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:52pm
post #24 of 57

I bet he won't want another store bought cake for his next birthday!!! icon_eek.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #25 of 57

you can always send it to the better business bureau. If the employees are that rude someone will take care of that.

Wgoat..........If they are serving old food and passing it off as "fresh" than you really should contact the health department. They will shut down the bakery real quick. That's a safety and sanitation issue. They are very serious about those things.

Quote:
Quote:

it was DISGUSTING...it was hard as a rock and had green things in it!!!!!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #26 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

So my 6 year old wanted a "bought cake" for his birthday. I am not going to say the name of the grocery store I bought this from, because I don't want to start anything, but I will say when I arrived to pick it up, it was not done. They had to decorate it while I waited. I paid 20.00 and got a crappy cake that tasted like chemicals.

If you were not satisfied with the appearance of the cake why did you pay for it? I certainly would not pay for a cake that I think looked crappy. In addition, I had a look at your cakes and you do pretty decent work. Why even think about shelling out for a store bought cake in the first place?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #27 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

If you were not satisfied with the appearance of the cake why did you pay for it? I certainly would not pay for a cake that I think looked crappy. In addition, I had a look at your cakes and you do pretty decent work. Why even think about shelling out for a store bought cake in the first place?

Jumping in here to say that this was rude. She bought the cake 1 because it was an hour before her son's party, and 2, because her son asked for a store bought cake. IMO To tell someone their work is pretty decent is just as bad as saying not bad but not good either. Her cakes are lovely, and she was just trying to be a good mom and do as her son asked.

justfrosting Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:20pm
post #28 of 57

Thanks foxymom...I was wondering about that last comment as well...appreciate your support.

mbdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbdecorator Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #29 of 57

As a grocery store decorator all I can say is OMG! icon_eek.gif That never would have made it out the door. I still think you should complain to the store manager.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:31pm
post #30 of 57

Those decorators should be fired.. They cannot even pipe a decent "Happy Birthday" on it.. That looks terrible. i would not pay $0.10 for it. I think it's not the cake, it's the person that made that horrible looking cake. That cake belongs on the decorator's head.. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%