Check Out The Stinky Cake I Bought For My Son...

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm by lauramw71

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #31 of 57

OH MY GOODNESS BLESS YOUR HEART, HOPE HE LIKES IT. THAT IS ONE UGLY CAKE.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:01pm
post #32 of 57

It's a shame you were so stuck to go ahead and take it....it was clearly sub-par on so many levels.

I would go ahead and bring it to the attention of the manager; first of all, he should know that his bakery is so disorganized that they hadn't the cake prepared and ready for you as originally agreed upon, and secondly, he needs to know what they are sending out the door as a professional quality product.

I think it's a favor to him, and maybe he'll be so shocked that he'll offer you wgoat5's cupcakes as consolation! haha

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:27pm
post #33 of 57

LOL

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:48pm
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfrosting

Thanks foxymom...I was wondering about that last comment as well...appreciate your support.

Your cakes are very nice! And I really love the dogs! I'm really surprised that your son didn't want one of those because they are so darn cute!!

I'm sorry that happened to you. I had a lady, whom I did a wedding cake and groom's cake for last year, contacted me to make her sister a wedding shower cake (her mom asked if I was going to do it also!). She told me about an incident at a national chain store (name withheld! lol) last year for a baby shower cake, long story but she had to get the manager and when she was told the cake was free - she told them she didn't want it and she told me that she would never, ever purchase a cake from them again! She went on and on about the cakes from her wedding and told me that she would get me to make all of her cakes!

I think you did the right thing by doing as your son asked! It may have not turned out good, but at least now he knows that mommy makes much better and prettier cakes!!

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:52pm
post #35 of 57

One of my daughters asked for a bought cake one time. I cried but she got it! It was horrible and she never asked for another. Now my daughters call themselves cake snobs and will only eat my cakes or the ones that my mother makes (not decorated).

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 5 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #36 of 57

Maybe all of this was a sign for your son. Your cakes are so beautiful and kids can take that for granted....so maybe God was sending him a message, a really ugly message! Haha! icon_lol.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:57am
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:

So my 6 year old wanted a "bought cake" for his birthday. I am not going to say the name of the grocery store I bought this from, because I don't want to start anything, but I will say when I arrived to pick it up, it was not done. They had to decorate it while I waited. I paid 20.00 and got a crappy cake that tasted like chemicals.

If you were not satisfied with the appearance of the cake why did you pay for it? I certainly would not pay for a cake that I think looked crappy. In addition, I had a look at your cakes and you do pretty decent work. Why even think about shelling out for a store bought cake in the first place?

Jumping in here to say that this was rude. She bought the cake 1 because it was an hour before her son's party, and 2, because her son asked for a store bought cake. IMO To tell someone their work is pretty decent is just as bad as saying not bad but not good either. Her cakes are lovely, and she was just trying to be a good mom and do as her son asked.

First of all I was expressing my opinion just like everyone else. Where I come from the expression "pretty decent" does not have a negative connotation as you tried to imply I was implying. Does it make sense for me to ask why she got a store bought cake when she could have made one herself if I was saying her cakes look bad? I don't understand why some people try to read more into the written word than there really is. As for the last comment (and once again this is just my opinion) we don't have to give in to all request. Yes I understand she was trying to please her son but in the process she ended up with a sub-par product when she could have made the cake to begin with and done a much better job when it comes to looks and taste.

Maybe in the future you should seek clarification before you point a finger. Remember when you point a finger you have three others pointing back at you.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #38 of 57
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Quote:

Quote:

So my 6 year old wanted a "bought cake" for his birthday. I am not going to say the name of the grocery store I bought this from, because I don't want to start anything, but I will say when I arrived to pick it up, it was not done. They had to decorate it while I waited. I paid 20.00 and got a crappy cake that tasted like chemicals.

If you were not satisfied with the appearance of the cake why did you pay for it? I certainly would not pay for a cake that I think looked crappy. In addition, I had a look at your cakes and you do pretty decent work. Why even think about shelling out for a store bought cake in the first place?

Jumping in here to say that this was rude. She bought the cake 1 because it was an hour before her son's party, and 2, because her son asked for a store bought cake. IMO To tell someone their work is pretty decent is just as bad as saying not bad but not good either. Her cakes are lovely, and she was just trying to be a good mom and do as her son asked.

First of all I was expressing my opinion just like everyone else. Where I come from the expression "pretty decent" does not have a negative connotation as you tried to imply I was implying. Does it make sense for me to ask why she got a store bought cake when she could have made one herself if I was saying her cakes look bad? I don't understand why some people try to read more into the written word than there really is. As for the last comment (and once again this is just my opinion) we don't have to give in to all request. Yes I understand she was trying to please her son but in the process she ended up with a sub-par product when she could have made the cake to begin with and done a much better job when it comes to looks and taste.

Maybe in the future you should seek clarification before you point a finger. Remember when you point a finger you have three others pointing back at you.

There was nothing to clarify. You were rude and I called you on it. End of story.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:00pm
post #39 of 57

now now ladies cant we all just sit down with a nice slice of cake and get along?

I am sorry your sons ckae was so aweful. I find that a lot of food coloring creats that chemical taste and sometimes if the sprayed ont he color it tastes like and smells like canned air. Sort of a mix of stale and chemicals.
The frosting was probable shortening and a mix that they didnt prep well enough and rather just slapped it on.
This should have been a rather simple cake and had they taken a half hour and offered to deliver it for you it should have been finished with some time to spare. Dont you think? Boy I am just so sorry it happened if they had a clearer mind they could have done so much better for your sons sake.
That is what makes us here at CC the "pro's" we are. We care about the product we are producing. I think that is a common ground we all share.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:19pm
post #40 of 57

Poor thing! That cake looks like a 2 year old did it with finger paints.
As far as why she did not make the cake herself, well, how on earth was she supposed to know in advance that the cake was going to be that horrible? Even if it was horrible to look at, MAYBE... just maybe, she thought it would at least taste decent?
Sorry, but in my wildest dreams I would not be able to pull a cake out of my butt in less than an hour. She had no choice icon_sad.gif
Sometimes kids just don't know...can't blame her for trying to please her son.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #41 of 57

Wow icon_eek.gif I would have also been very angry...might have even gone to another store and picked one out already made...better than that one.

I must say that cake makes my cakes look like there done by a famouse Cake decorator...and my cakes arent great or I think even nice....lol

I agree talk to the the store manager, at least if not a full refund, as you will never buy another cake there, then a parital...better than non at all.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:21pm
post #42 of 57

Oh my goodness, that's hideous. I thought that was supposed to be a hand on the cake. You should submit that to http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 6:54pm
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

Oh my goodness, that's hideous. I thought that was supposed to be a hand on the cake. You should submit that to http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

Thanks for sharing the cake wrecks site. That is hilarious! I'm sitting here literally laughing out loud. I needed a good laugh today!

covered-in-sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
covered-in-sugar Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm
post #44 of 57

I just checked out this cake wreck site and I was cracking up!!

I couldn't stop laughing!! Good Stuff...

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

Sorry, but in my wildest dreams I would not be able to pull a cake out of my butt in less than an hour. She had no choice icon_sad.gif

Oh A Pretty Cake I didnt mean she should have made a replacement in an hours time I merely meant that the bakery has cakes on hand and they should have been able to make this particular ake in about a half hour. Look at it again it is easy shell border, happy birthday, plastic figurines and a little color. They could have gotten it done and delivered it for the her trouble and since they forgot it. Sorry if I upset anyone I wasnt clear here.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

Oh A Pretty Cake I didnt mean she should have made a replacement in an hours time I merely meant that the bakery has cakes on hand and they should have been able to make this particular ake in about a half hour. Look at it again it is easy shell border, happy birthday, plastic figurines and a little color. They could have gotten it done and delivered it for the her trouble and since they forgot it. Sorry if I upset anyone I wasnt clear here.

icon_biggrin.gif So true - but could they have made it as beautful as the first one? icon_lol.gif
Sorry for the misread. I think I would have been happier with a plain white cake to re-decorate myself, or something from the grocers fridge already partly done-up. Can you imagine her shock though? The rest of the afternoon would have been a blur for me worrying about what my son was thinking. icon_razz.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 8 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #47 of 57

I think I would have worried more about what the other parents at the party were thinking of me since they probably know she makes cakes herself. I would hate them to think I did that. I mean how would I ever top it icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 12:24am
post #48 of 57
Quote:

That's just what I was thinking...cakewrecks icon_lol.gif

PamW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PamW Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 12:49am
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

That's just what I was thinking...cakewrecks icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif I LOVE the cakewrecks!!!!! The "exact replica of the bride" cake sent me over the top! thumbs_up.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:15pm
post #50 of 57

Ok now I just have to check this website out. BRB icon_lol.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #51 of 57

Oh my goodness is that ever a funny site!
The lady having a baby, I mean literally having a baby right on top of the cake is a little much for me but hey I suppose it takes all kinds.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:44pm
post #52 of 57

Thanks for the laugh.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 1:31pm
post #53 of 57

3 months later and I am still ticked off about this cake.

Great idea ladies...I will send it to cake wrecks today.!!!!

sweettoothmom Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #54 of 57

Bless your heart. I would be happy to bet money though that your little man doesnt even remember the cake in a year or so.

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:44am
post #55 of 57

I'm sorry that happened to you. You know cakes better then most so you know what to look for. However I don't think anyone would call this cake a good job.

kookyfaery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kookyfaery Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #56 of 57

I am truely sorry, I know how frustrating it can be when you have to be there in an hour and your stuck with something you are un happy with. It's a feeling that you are totally stuck and have no options what so ever.

I totally agree with everyone on saying to print this out, and especially a picture of that cake, and go in and show the manager. Sometimes, you can even crawl up the "Food Chain" and send the information to a district manager or even someone higher up than that. I work at the home depot, and people send letters and emails to the ceo all the time. I'm sure the information can be found somewhere. If anything it will let them know that they need to find qualified people to work in those bakeries. A friend of mine was hired in the bakery just because she used to work at Michael's, she had never taken the wilton class, but they put her there anyway.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #57 of 57

oh that DEFINATELY deserves to be on cakewrecks. And thank you for the person that posted that. I am looking at it and am laughing so hard I have tears running down my cheeks. (And im at WORK!!!!) LOL The one that has me laughing so hard is the naked mohawk babies riding the carrots. OMG This is great!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%