Saying Goodbye

Lounge By ShirleyW Updated 1 May 2008 , 12:09am by lovely

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 132

I had said I would give CC till the end of March for the upgrades to be completed and at that time if it was still having the same problems of downtime I would choose to leave, because it is just too frustrating for me. I have made the decision to leave now rather than post complaints or questions. I am going to miss the forum, it is a great place when it is up and running smoothly. There are so many talented people here, friendly and sharing. and I will miss you greatly. I have made some good cake friends here and hope we don't lose touch.
Take care everyone and thank you.
Shirley

131 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 132

Shirley, have you seen the post from dragonflydreams where she quoted Heath? They really are working to fix these problems and feel that it's just a little more time.

I would really hate to see such a talented decorator as yourself leave us. Your information and expertise are what help to make this site so popular and what it is. I realize how frustrating this is, but maybe just a little time away - a vacation, if you wil - is the answer. How about saying so long for a little bit instead of goodbye?

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that nobody wants to see you go for good.

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 132

I hope you would reconsider as this community needs everyone to keep it the special place it is. Heath an Jackie have brought so much to everyone's lives and businesses by starting this site it doesn't quite seem fair for us to be so demanding and quick to throw in the towel.
Please give them more time!!

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 132

I was afraid things like this were going to start happening.

Shirley you are such a wonderful asset to this site. You have always been so helpful, and so generous in sharing your knowledge. I have only been here for a little under a year but in that time I have learned so many valuable lessons from you! I just wanted to say thank you, and that I will definitely miss seeing you here. icon_cry.gif

Anya

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 132

It is not that serious.
PATIENCE! PATIENCE! PATIENCE!

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 132

Oh Shirley, please don't leave CC. You are one of the many artists on this site who inspire me to work hard at getting better at this craft. It would be such a loss for CC and it's loyal members not to have you presence known. I haven't been a member very long, but for as long as I have been a part of this family I've seen you here just about evertime; that shows your love for this site.

Please rethink you decision and try to hand in there a little longer. icon_sad.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 132

That's crazy!! When SquirrellyCakes left, she adopted ****** as her new forum home. Where will your new forum home be? You KNOW you've gotta talk about cakes!!

I hope you change your mind! Surely all of this frustrating downtime will be over soon.

***edited to remove reference that isn't permitted on CC***

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 132

You can't do this--you are such an asset to this community it will be a tremendous lost, honestly your post on chocolate are better adviced than what i got at school.

We all have been frustrated--take a little vacation

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 132

once again . . . here is Heath's post . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

Here is your official statement you are looking for:

1. Of course we know there is a problem and of course we are working on it.

2. It is not an issue of funding, of course we can always use more help, but we have, after the last hardware upgrade, probably 4 times more processing power than we should need to server the traffic level.

3. There is something causing the servers to crash, and we do not know what exactly.

4. Some people are assuming that it is just the two of us working on this issue, but it is not, we have a number of people from our hosting datacenter working on the problem as well.

5. For those people who are upset that we are not responding to this thread quickly enough, when there are problems keeping the site online, the last thing we are doing with our time is reading the forums, we are monitoring and working on the servers.

6. DO NOT CONTACT OUR SPONSORS seeking additional help. It is not their fault, it is not a financial issue.

7. As a few people mentioned, technical problems sometimes take time to solve. Does a Doctor always get a diagnosis correct the first time? No, sometimes it is a matter of guess and check.

8. A lot of people here are making un-informed guesses as to what our challenges are, what parts of the site are causing the issues, and what needs to be done. Please try to refrain from this type of guessing as it causes the masses to get caught up in the wrong issues, leads to a bunch of unnecessary emails to jackie and I, and just complicates the issue.

9. Jackie and I DO know who to build and run a website, that is our profession, not a hobby. However, the foundation on which cake central was built was never meant to handle this many people, and so we have an issue of having to re-write the core code to be more scalable. This code should be ready in about 60 days, if we can get the servers stable enough to let us focus on that.

10. In summary, As always, this site is free, it will remain free, our problems are not an issue of finance at this moment, we are using all the resources at our disposal to figure out what is crashing the servers.

this site WILL survive . . . maybe you will have to take a "vacation/sabbatical" for the next 60 days if you are finding it too frustrating . . . but CC will be here when you decide to come back (and I KNOW you will be back . . . 'cause there's no place like "CC" . . . says she clicking her ruby slippers together) . . . please be patient we'd hate to lose you . . .

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 132

Shirley - don't go!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 132

I, for one, am not going anywhere. There is NO place like CC anywhere on the internet. When CC is unavailable I just download music from iTunesicon_smile.gif

Patience is a virtue. This too shall pass.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #12 of 132

SHIRLEYYYYYYYYYYY...noooooooooooooooo!.. icon_sad.gif
pls ..dont leave..we like you lots!
Edna

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 132

CC's not dead ... you don't have to say "goodbye. " CC's just got the flu. icon_smile.gif It will be better. One keystroke in code can throw off everything, so it's a matter of finding what's wrong and fixing it. Give them a chance to find/fix it. It's already been MUCH better today. . .

Thanks Jackie & Heath, though you're probably not reading this. icon_smile.gif

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

I, for one, am not going anywhere. There is NO place like CC anywhere on the internet. When CC is unavailable I just download music from iTunesicon_smile.gif

Patience is a virtue. This too shall pass.

Yeah, I actually got a lot more work done! icon_surprised.gif It's amazing what you can do in a day!

simplysweet72740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweet72740 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:03pm
post #15 of 132

I am quite sure I will get stoned for this, but if you feel the need to go then go. The people who are trying to keep this site going are doing all they can. To me it seems more of an issue that the "complainers" aren't getting what they want when they want it, than with the actual problem. So like I said if you wanna quit the site then quit, thats just one less stress anyone has to deal with. Don't im me or tell me I am a grump, I am simply stating my opinion as many of you have openly insulted the CC team.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 132

I guess I just don't understand. It would be a shame to see people(who've contributed so much!) drop out for something that's temporary. Yes, it can be frustrating but I'm sure it's 100 times more frustrating for those trying to fix it. And if you've never dealt with upgrades of this nature, it's hard to understand how much is involved. Unfortunately, it's not always instantaneous and you can't forsee other bugs that may pop up.

However, it is definitely one's own personal choice. When it's back to running more smoothly, will you be returning?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #17 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplysweet72740

I am quite sure I will get stoned for this...

You said that exact same thing in another thread. I'm thinking, "She sure does like to get stoned."

Teehee icon_biggrin.gif

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #18 of 132

I'm sure you've given this a lot of thought and I hope you find another place to land that is a better fit for you.

Good luck!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 132

No one should go. It is a great site! If people leave then the site won't be as great becuase some of the expertise will be gone. This site is a wonderful place to learn and have fun!
As long is there is great technology there will allways be issues. You can't avoid them some times.
Jen...

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #20 of 132

I am sorry, but i just don't understand!! Sure, it is nice to be on and not have problems with the site, but what is the reason for leaving all together? I would understand if people were paying a premium to use the site and it wasnt meeting expectations.

I can live with the problems from time to time. I know they are working on it. When it is down, I ACTUALLY get some other stuff done!! I am probably on here too much anyway. If I really need a fix, then I surf around elsewhere...but there is no place like cc!

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:17pm
post #21 of 132

you gotta be understanding...is going to be ok!

Edna icon_smile.gif

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:22pm
post #22 of 132

I agree with simplysweet. This is a great website and I truly believe they are working out the kinks the best they possibly can. No one is forcing anyone to participate in this website. If she wants to stop looking she can stop looking. I must like "getting stoned" too.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:26pm
post #23 of 132

Shirley, I really would hate to see you go, so I hope you you give it a second thought.

You have been so wonderful about helping others, giving info and tips...be it in a post, thread, or with a PM. It is as others have said, you are a great asset to this site and the members on it. You will be missed by me and so many others if you go, so please give it a second thought.

Incase, you are no longer here at the time (April 6th)...I want to say "I hope and pray you have a very Happy Birthday Shirley!". Good Luck with what ever you do.

God Bless & Be with you,
Sharon

SusieHazCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieHazCakes Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:26pm
post #24 of 132

Gee, Shirley, it just doesn't make sense for you to leave a forum you love because it sucks tech-wise for a while. Can't you have friends at and visit more than site? Just take a vacation for a while until they get it stable. Seems to me you'd be throwing out the baby with the bath water. I've been severely agitated myself, but I can't find anything else like this site anywhere.

Hope you reconsider.

Susie

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 132

Jackie wrote this in another thread!

As most of you already know... CakeCentral.com has been experiencing non-stop problems since our hardware move last week.
we are very aware of the problems and are working as fast as we can to get this website stable.
Please hang in there!

This whole frustrating past few weeks has not just been 1 problem but a series of problems. We fix 1 thing, and 2 more things break.

We have a team of highly skilled technicians working on the hardware and the software to fix all of the problems permanently.

Cakecentral.com is not going anywhere... however my hair is from pulling it out

Please hang in there!

Heath posted some more information here:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/c.....ml#5874943

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #26 of 132

I understand your pain Shirley. I to am one of the people that "wanted" to drop this site...it really would make my life so much more easier. Because as some may not see...we have "invested" or lives and our time here. Sharing photos and giving advice. It's like having one of those friends that just keep walking all over you because you let them...it's your fault, you let them...but there has to be a point that breaks your back.
so I understand...if you want to go, then you should go! Don't let yourself get to down about it...we will be here when you get back!

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #27 of 132

Don't leave. Please understand that jackie and heath is doing all they can to stabilize the site. It is more frustrating to them than it is to others. If anything, we should be encouraging them instead of leaving. This is a great site,i love it!!! I am not going anywhere . I will just wait till all is well.
Anytime you try to upgrade a computer system, there is bound to be problems untill they are worked out.

SusieHazCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieHazCakes Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #28 of 132

icon_lol.gif Talk about irony, I can't access the link Edna left to a post from Heath. Maybe y'all recognize this message:

The web page cannot be found.

Come on now, ShirleyW, you can't leave. Who would fill your 10,546,423-posts shoes? icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #29 of 132

This is what Heat wrote Suzie!!!

Heath wrote:
Here is your official statement you are looking for:

1. Of course we know there is a problem and of course we are working on it.

2. It is not an issue of funding, of course we can always use more help, but we have, after the last hardware upgrade, probably 4 times more processing power than we should need to server the traffic level.

3. There is something causing the servers to crash, and we do not know what exactly.

4. Some people are assuming that it is just the two of us working on this issue, but it is not, we have a number of people from our hosting datacenter working on the problem as well.

5. For those people who are upset that we are not responding to this thread quickly enough, when there are problems keeping the site online, the last thing we are doing with our time is reading the forums, we are monitoring and working on the servers.

6. DO NOT CONTACT OUR SPONSORS seeking additional help. It is not their fault, it is not a financial issue.

7. As a few people mentioned, technical problems sometimes take time to solve. Does a Doctor always get a diagnosis correct the first time? No, sometimes it is a matter of guess and check.

8. A lot of people here are making un-informed guesses as to what our challenges are, what parts of the site are causing the issues, and what needs to be done. Please try to refrain from this type of guessing as it causes the masses to get caught up in the wrong issues, leads to a bunch of unnecessary emails to jackie and I, and just complicates the issue.

9. Jackie and I DO know who to build and run a website, that is our profession, not a hobby. However, the foundation on which cake central was built was never meant to handle this many people, and so we have an issue of having to re-write the core code to be more scalable. This code should be ready in about 60 days, if we can get the servers stable enough to let us focus on that.

10. In summary, As always, this site is free, it will remain free, our problems are not an issue of finance at this moment, we are using all the resources at our disposal to figure out what is crashing the servers.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #30 of 132

I hate to see anyone leave but I'm not going to beg anyone to stay. Jackie and Heath are doing all they can and if that isn't enough for some people then maybe they are better off somewhere else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%