Sculpted Mermaid

Decorating By mamacc Updated 20 Nov 2013 , 4:13pm by twilightzonejude

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 33

I just finished up a busy month with this sculpted mermaid cake. I was looking forward to this cake all month, LOL! It took quite a bit longer than I thought and I ended up staying up all night till 9:00 a.m. the next day when the woman came to pick it up! That was a new record for me! I have to decorate at night b/c of my three kids so I couldn't even get started on the decorating till about 8:00 p.m. The cake was already carved and ready to go and it still took me all night. It didn't help that my baby was teething and kept waking up....

Anyway, I used a carved ball pan for the head, the body is two halves of a round cake cut in half and carved. Then I cut the tail from a sheet cake and stacked it. The arms and fin are fondant. I covered the entire tail with cut out fondant circles that I painted with luster dust after I laid them all on. I'm not sure that my proportions are quite right, but I really didn't have time to mess with it too much so I just had to go with it. I used an extruded rope to form the "water" and then flooded it with leftover cookie icing.(toba's) I just felt it needed that finishing touch and somehow I thought of that at 7 a.m the next day(ha ha), although I wish the color was a tiny bit lighter. Oh well, there's always something you want to change after doing a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Courtney
LL

32 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 33

You did a fantastic job! I love the colors and all the details.

Lejla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lejla Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 33

Wow,I think you did amazing job.You are being too hard on yourself.I'd be extremely happy with myself if I could do as half of a good job as you did on this cake.I love everything about her.GREAT JOB.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 33

Ohhh WOW!! She is so pretty=) I love the colors of the tail, but even her face and hair look perfect! WTG!! Jen

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:01am
post #5 of 33

Very cute and so well done.

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:05am
post #6 of 33

Perfectly done! She looks great. Nice work!

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 33

WOW...she is gorgeous

you did a super job. what was the customers reaction? i bet she nearly passed out..lol

kylie

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:18am
post #8 of 33

she is just beautiful!!!...I love the sparkley scales and the water looks wonderful.
I want to know what the customer thought too...I just bet they were thrilled to ribbons!!!

Fantastic and Happy New Year!!!

Jane

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:18am
post #9 of 33

I am completely blown away by this cake! How fabulous!! It never creases to amaze me the talented people on this site! Love everything about this! thumbs_up.gif

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #10 of 33

That is just amazing! I love it!

mamacc Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:29am
post #11 of 33

Thank you everyone!!

Quote:
Quote:

Wow,I think you did amazing job.You are being too hard on yourself.I'd be extremely happy with myself if I could do as half of a good job as you did on this cake.I love everything about her.GREAT JOB.

You are right. I was really happy with how this cake came out. I love doing pretty girly cakes!! I am just a perfectionist and after spending the whole night with a cake you know every little flaw, LOL.

Quote:
Quote:

you did a super job. what was the customers reaction? i bet she nearly passed out..lol

kylie

She was very happy and surprised! I had kind of described to her what I was planning to do, but not in too much detail. She has seen some of my other sculpted cakes so it wasn't a complete surprise to her. icon_smile.gif I'm going to give her a call this week and see how the party went. I love to hear about the birthday kid's reaction to their cake!

Courtney

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:39am
post #12 of 33

Saw your cake in the gallery and I posted a comment, very nice!

Sara040304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara040304 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:39am
post #13 of 33

Wow, my little girl is an Ariel fan and she would loooooove this cake. You did a great job.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 3:43am
post #14 of 33

very impressive cake!

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 3:59am
post #15 of 33

Wow...this is BEAUTIFUL!!! I had to do a mermaid cake about a month ago and wanted to try something with fondant, BUT the customer specifically said NO FONDNT! So, I used buttercream only. I bet this was a fun cake to do!!!!

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:04am
post #16 of 33

Just looked in your gallery! ALL your cakes are beautiful! You are VERY talented!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:24am
post #17 of 33

Wow! That is simply one of the best mermaid cakes I've seen yet! You did a fantastic job and ought to be very, very pleased! Let us know what your customer and recipient thought. I'm sure they were extremely pleased with this cake.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:48am
post #18 of 33

WOW, what a great cake. I just had a look at your gallery and I can't believe that i've missed seeing your cakes till now. You're soooo good!!
I LOVE your baby cakes, they're adorable!!!

Nati

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 2:53pm
post #19 of 33

Ooh awesomness on display! What a talent you have. It is stunning.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 4:15pm
post #20 of 33

WOW!!! I just dont know what else to say other than WOW WOW WOW!!!! that is absolutely AMAZING!!!!!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:47pm
post #21 of 33

That is really impressive and your colors are perfect. thumbs_up.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 5:54pm
post #22 of 33

Awesome cake!!!!

I wish you would have posted this three weeks ago for me to see before I made my poor attempt at a 3D mermaid. I never thought to have her lay down icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif !! Looks like you spent a lot of time on the scales as well! I love the colors.

Great cake!!

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:16pm
post #23 of 33

Very Cute! Love her! thumbs_up.gif

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 1 Jan 2007 , 10:25pm
post #24 of 33

WOW!!!!! What a great cake!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 1:50am
post #25 of 33

AWESOME!! I myself can't see any flaws but I know what you mean, when you say you see the flaws! EXCELLENT JOB!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:06pm
post #26 of 33

Beautiful Cake!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif How did you paint the cake circles after putting them on without going on to the next one? I don't know if that makes sense or not. You did a beautiful job!

mamacc Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:18pm
post #27 of 33

I just talked to the woman who ordered the cake and she said the birthday girl was thrilled! Everyone was like "who made the cake???". Of course I forgot to give her any business cards! The little girl already knows what she wants for next year and her brother now wants a spiderman cake, LOL. You can't just get one kid a sculpted cake!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I wish you would have posted this three weeks ago for me to see before I made my poor attempt at a 3D mermaid. I never thought to have her lay down !! Looks like you spent a lot of time on the scales as well! I love the colors.

LOL, I remember your post about your mermaid cake. I was the one who gave you the link to Janet's site. Her cakes are amazing!!!! I would love to hear about how she recommended doing the structure. I thought about having her sit up but...but I already had a clear picture in my head of her laying down "swimming", and then I didn't have to worry about the cake falling apart on the bumpy highway. icon_smile.gif

Courtney

mamacc Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:24pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

Beautiful Cake!!!!!!!!! How did you paint the cake circles after putting them on without going on to the next one? I don't know if that makes sense or not. You did a beautiful job!

The fondant was already colored before I put them on. I painted the luster dust on after I had all the colored scales on the cake. icon_smile.gif

Courtney

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 3:38pm
post #29 of 33

You did an awesome job.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:26am
post #30 of 33

Wow, how gorgeous is that icon_smile.gif

Especially love the colors and detail on the scales and tail!

Just a fantastic creation.

You Rule!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%