Sculpted Mermaid

Decorating By mamacc Updated 20 Nov 2013 , 4:13pm by twilightzonejude

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 5 Jan 2007 , 6:36am
post #31 of 33

WOW! took a look at your galleries and i think i have found myself another idol here on cc!

amazing mermaid. she's got beautiful eyes. i love how you did the multicolored scales icon_smile.gif

twilightzonejude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twilightzonejude Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:10pm
post #32 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacc 

I just finished up a busy month with this sculpted mermaid cake. I was looking forward to this cake all month, LOL! It took quite a bit longer than I thought and I ended up staying up all night till 9:00 a.m. the next day when the woman came to pick it up! That was a new record for me! I have to decorate at night b/c of my three kids so I couldn't even get started on the decorating till about 8:00 p.m. The cake was already carved and ready to go and it still took me all night. It didn't help that my baby was teething and kept waking up....

Anyway, I used a carved ball pan for the head, the body is two halves of a round cake cut in half and carved. Then I cut the tail from a sheet cake and stacked it. The arms and fin are fondant. I covered the entire tail with cut out fondant circles that I painted with luster dust after I laid them all on. I'm not sure that my proportions are quite right, but I really didn't have time to mess with it too much so I just had to go with it. I used an extruded rope to form the "water" and then flooded it with leftover cookie icing.(toba's) I just felt it needed that finishing touch and somehow I thought of that at 7 a.m the next day(ha ha), although I wish the color was a tiny bit lighter. Oh well, there's always something you want to change after doing a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Courtney
LL

she is beautiful I am not understanding what you used for her body ? and her tail is not cake ?

twilightzonejude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twilightzonejude Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:13pm
post #33 of 33

Hello first of all wow this is an amazing cake,  but I am not understanding what you used for her body what type of cake pan did you use ? also her tail is not cake ? thank you so much Jude 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%