Do You Ever Just Not Want To Do A Cake Request?

Decorating By LisaMS Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 8:05pm by messyeater

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 33

I just got a request for a High School Musical cake. My first thought is "Yuck!" I just can't get excited about this cake. Ever feel that way? Do you ever turn down cake orders because you are not inspired by the request?

32 replies
acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 33

I have had that happen, and i have to say the ckes just never turn out very well. You can always overprice...or get booked real quick! icon_lol.gif

Julia

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:00am
post #3 of 33

yes, i turned down a mom who wanted a birthday cake for her son. felt bad but need a break to spend time with my family whom are more important!!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:05am
post #4 of 33

Yes...turned down a golf themed wedding cake. I just could not get excited about it.

bradleycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bradleycake Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 33

It just so happens that I am making a High School Musical cake this very night. Yes, I do feel like that sometimes. I have had requests where I imagine myself saying 'are you kidding me, that is a terrible idea.' Like when people ask for something really off the wall. For example 'a purple basketball with a green border. I just usually smile and give an enthusiastic Okay!! I won't usually turn them down unless it is a crazy request! A lady once asked me if I could make a cake that tasted like the local grocery stores. She got turned down in a major way.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:15am
post #6 of 33

I've never turned down a cake, I have had the same feelings you have though but I want the extra money so I just do what the customer wants on the cake even if I'm not excited about doing it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 33

OH Lisa I had that same thought....the day I said I would dread to do a HSM cake I GOT AN ORDER....so never say that outloud LOL. That is the most awful cake to try to get inspired to do...there really isn't much you can do with it...that or Hanna Montana icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Don't turn it down though cause you are tooooo goood hun!!!

Christi

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 33

I turn down cakes a bit. Anything that's copyrighted, for instance. If I can't talk the customer into using toys on the cake or a purchased edible image, then I turn down the order. Also most carved cakes as I detest doing them.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 33

I've only turned down one -- they wanted 150 cupcakes with an intricate design, but only gave me a week's notice. I just couldn't get mentally prepared for it, so I turned it down.

S

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 33

You already know what my response would be to this one! icon_wink.gif

You could be booked! ...but assuming you've already told her you can... tell her what you could do: microphone, music notes, CD, etc. If she's OK w/ that then problem solved. Otherwise, if she wants something "specific" have her provide you with the idea - then tell her whether or not you can do it. In other words, don't waste your time, scouring the internet, or loosing sleep, trying to find a "great idea". This is a tough theme, and not easy to replicate! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 33

If I can't talk someone into a theme/design I can do I turn themdown. I've turned down many X-rated requests and some hallowe'en ones. I'll do a harvest/fall design but nothing w/ghosts, witches etc.

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 9:31pm
post #12 of 33

There are cakes that I've done that I don't look forward to doing, being that the idea or the design is so boring or doesn't work well and these are the cakes that I save for the last minute because I just can't get into them. I get excited over an interesting cake or a design that I haven't done before. Simple sheet cakes seem to leave me bored now. I look forward to some challenges!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 33

I had to turn down a cake this past summer. I had previously spoke to her about a cake but she wasn't sure what she wanted. Then she sees me about 1 week before the party asking for a "dragster" car cake. I was like WHAT!? And I think I had told her like 2 months before that that I would probably do a cake for free...but that was at the time because i was desperate. Then it seemed like she wanted this grand cake for like 8 people and what could be so hard about it. Then I got the type of car wrong and I was done. I just said..."I can't do it! Maybe my mom could do it but this is just too much work for such short notice."
It sucked but I felt better about it!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 9:46pm
post #14 of 33

Oh I was just thinking this all weekend. This lady wants me to make her brother a cake in the shape of a Dodge Nitro with the Abercrombie moose on the side. How do I do that??? I know there are many talented cake artists on here that could probably do it but I'm just dreading it. I just can't turn down a paid order so I just smile and say "sure!!" and hope for that best.

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 33

I personally haven't made this cake, but IMO - theme overkill has got to be the dreaded sea shell/beach scene wedding cake - has nothing to do with the beautiful cakes I've seen on CC, but how many of those could a person do and still be inspired?

Does a repeat theme request just leave you brain dead, or do you just chalk it up to the ebb and flow of business?

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:29pm
post #16 of 33

I actually have 2 HSM cakes scheduled on the same day in Nov.---I still don't know what I'm going to do. One of them is to feed 40 but the other 100 people............hmmmmmm.......any ideas??????

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #17 of 33

I had a request for a Jack Daniels Bottle...I DID NOT want to do it but I did. I won't do another. AFter others had seen it, there were some folks that thought they might be wanting me to make them one...no thanks.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #18 of 33

I wish I could say no (how do you all do it?).....not sure I've learned how yet. Just told a couple a week ago I'd do their wedding cake. BIG MISTAKE! It's my first wedding cake and I hate the colors (mint green in fall???) plus I'm a week overdue with my first baby and about to pop. Oh well, finished the cake today and will deliver it tomorrow.....maybe it won't be the only thing I'm delivering??? icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:54pm
post #19 of 33

Oh I had to pop (sorry about that) in and tell you amoos happy delivery icon_smile.gif I'm sure right after the wedding cake you will go into labor icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:02pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi1207

I actually have 2 HSM cakes scheduled on the same day in Nov.---I still don't know what I'm going to do. One of them is to feed 40 but the other 100 people............hmmmmmm.......any ideas??????

Sorry,What's HSM? I have turned down cakes before...I just can't deal with certain stuff. Life is too short, and I do cakes for extra money, it's not my bread and butter. That way it's nice, you can pick and choose. If it were my "career", I'd have a different attitude, I'm sure.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:33pm
post #21 of 33

HSM = High School Musical

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:47pm
post #22 of 33

I get some crazy cake requests - especially from my coworkers! I used to think they were nuts! What do they think I am, a magician? Now I tell them if they can think it up, I can probably do it. icon_smile.gif

It's gotten so I like the challenge! I dread doing sheet cakes!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:59pm
post #23 of 33

the cakes I don't really like doing are the ones that are based on TV or some recognizable character or show/movie...I feel completely stressed out by that....
I did a Thomas the Tank engine cake but I doubt I will do another...much prefer generic trains, fairies, cars etc...that's when I can add my touch rather than just copying a well known image!

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:01am
post #24 of 33

I can't believe you guys are not inspired to do high school musical cakes. You need to spend a day with my 4yr old daughter and watch both movies, 1and 2 a few thousand times. There are so many ways to do. For instance if they really like the character sharpey, you could totally do a frilly girly cake and incorporate the wild cats, or singing into it.

But yes I have turned down a cake before, because I was out of town that weekend. But have wanted to say no to many more than that, but haven't.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:53am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chebean

yes, i turned down a mom who wanted a birthday cake for her son. felt bad but need a break to spend time with my family whom are more important!!

It's hard sometimes. I promised my family we would be "closed" for Thanksgiving weekend as that is THE family holiday for us. I had a bride booked and then she changed her date to Thanksgiving '08. It was hard to tell her I was already booked (and I was .... with my family), especially when it was a $6000 catering. icon_surprised.gif But like you said, some things are more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFord

Does a repeat theme request just leave you brain dead, or do you just chalk it up to the ebb and flow of business?

From the moment I posted this cake on my website, http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=93752 , it became THE most popular design requested by my brides (as you can tell by the multiple variations I've done on it). I find it a high compliment that one particular cake of mine is in demand by so many brides.

I don't have little kids in my house anymore (so I dont' even know what the heck High School Musical is all about! It took me forever to figure out who the heck LIghtning McQueen was!) but "back in the day" when I did birthday cakes, it was the Dukes of Hazard car. Geesh, I got SO SICK of doing this cake, so I can relate to the "brain dead" idea.

wgoat5 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:40am
post #26 of 33

I can remember when I was little the Clown cupcakes and such were very popular...and to tell you a secret....I still really like them !!!! That got me so excited on my birthday when I knew my mom would be bringing clown cupcakes...now they are a teaching tool!!!! People usually don't do them just to be doing them. Makes me sad...But that would be a cake or cupcakes I would WANT to do icon_biggrin.gif

LisaMS Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #27 of 33

Wellll, looks like many of us suffer from a case of boredom by certain cake requests. Maybe if I had actually seen the movie I could get into this HSM cake.

angllfish did pm and point me to her cake she just did and found some cupcake rings for me on ebay so that did help.

Allison, I keep forgetting to ask what customer wants before I check my calendar to see if I'm booked! lol Microphone...good idea...I've done that before!

I also am the worst at selling my design ideas. For instance, tried to talk a lady into letting me do a tiered-cake instead of a sheet cake for her daughter's 18th birthday. It would be so much cuter and I don't even charge that much more but no, she wanted a sheet cake. icon_sad.gif

I've decided that there is an art to selling cakes as much as making them. icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all the feedback and commiserating. icon_smile.gif I'm taking November off. Well, most of November. Hopefully I can stick to my guns on that one. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMS

I also am the worst at selling my design ideas. For instance, tried to talk a lady into letting me do a tiered-cake instead of a sheet cake for her daughter's 18th birthday. It would be so much cuter and I don't even charge that much more but no, she wanted a sheet cake. icon_sad.gif

Tyr the phrase "Oh, she'll be the only one to have a cake like THIS for an 18th birthday!" That sometimes works! icon_lol.gif

They may be intimidated by the thought of cutting a tiered cake. Feel free to refer them to the step-by-step photos on my website to show them how easy it is. http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

LisaMS Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #29 of 33

thanks for the cutting instructions link, indydebi. I think you are right. I think lots of people are intimidated with cutting tiered cakes.

Chuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chuff Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:09pm
post #30 of 33

I've had to turn people down when they call needing a cake the next day. Other than that I pretty much will make whatever they ask - but I dislike doing cartoon character cakes for some reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%