Scared To Death And Need Ccers Support --- Warning Long.....

Decorating By tiptop57 Updated 23 Nov 2006 , 2:05am by cakesbycathy

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 41

I am very nervous.

Cross your fingers and toes and wish me luck. Tomorrow, I am entering a cake as sculpture in an Art Show for five counties. It's their 20th anniversary exhibition.

I have been in this show before for my mixed media, but never with cake as a medium. I am hoping the judges let it stay in. They reserve the right to refuse any work or to change the class of entry. I am entering an entirely edible Japanese Ningyo "Artist Doll" and Ill post pics next week.

I remember reading an article by Jenny Tabakoff and she wrote: What makes art art, especially since the art world has spent most of the past 100 years demolishing all those preconceptions? If art can be urinals, hair-lined teacups, cows suspended in formaldehyde, unmade beds and people standing on their heads as it surely can then why cant it be cakes in exquisite and unexpected shapes?

So I decided to take the plunge and I am scared so your positive energy and good wishes would be greatly appreciated.

40 replies
mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 41

Crossing my finger for you I'm sure everythng will run well !!!
Can't wait to see a photo !!!

maeyami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maeyami Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 41

We are all behind ya here!! All things turn out great in the end!! This will too.

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 41

Think positive!!
At the very least, it will make everyone who see it understand that cake can be art when created by someone with incredible skills.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 41

I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for you! Good luck.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 41

~~~~~~>>>>Positive V~I~B~E~S~~~~~~>>>>Coming Your Way!

Good Luck!

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 41

Best wishes and can't wait to see your creation!

countrysidecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrysidecakes Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 41

I'll keep you in my prayers today and I hope everything works out for you. Cake decorating is art. Who determines what art is anyway? I viewed your cakes and they are gorgeous and you are a true artist. I hope these words of encouragement help you out today and tomorrow! I loved the angle cake Lovely!!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 41

Let me know what happens, I'm interested to see how the art community receives you.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 41

Sending you lots of encouragement and luck all the way from Australia. Give it your best shot and show them what art is. I love your Haute Couture and Fashion Designer cakes.

Barbara

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 41

GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 41

if some of the cakes created on this site aren't considered art - then I don't know what art is!! I appreciate many different types of art - photography, paintings, crafts, glass blowing, jewelry - I don't see ANY reason cakes shouldn't be included in the world of art..... well except for the fact that usually they're eaten! BUT we could create cakes out of styrofoam & plaster/paint stuff and then what..... you'd still be using the same tools as other artists...... I definitely think cake IS art and I congratulate you for your courage to enter! I never think I'm good enough at anything to enter big competitions...... I've looked at some of your stuff and I can't wait to see the pictures!! It sounds really cool! Good luck in the competition- and if they try to throw you out.... well then we here at CC will just have to make up a petition and send it to them w/ all of our names on it to say that cake IS art......... how many people do we have on here?? Quite a few I think and if all of us say it's art then IT IS! icon_smile.gif We have many "artists" from other mediums on this site as well and I don't think they would have gotten into cakes if they didn't consider it another avenue for expression of artistic abilities....... okay enough from me now.... GOOD LUCK! icon_smile.gif

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 41

Good luck, make sure you post pictures!!

K-Rod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K-Rod Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 41

1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
7. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
8. the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
12. skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.

I looked up the word "art" on dictionary.com and edited out the definitions that didn't apply to this forum.... I'd say cake creations are, indeed Art!

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 41

You have my support, good wishes and prayers. Your cakes are most definitely art and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!!!
Bradymom

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:18pm
post #16 of 41

Oh, I hope you can put it in. It is absolutely art! We had an employee art show here and my job, and I displayed one of my dummy cakes. I got tons of comments about it--especially "well, that is art!!" Good luck!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:27pm
post #17 of 41

All the best. Can't wait to see the photos. Got my fingers crossed! thumbs_up.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:29pm
post #18 of 41

Cake designing IS art! Had this discussed with the Art Institute instructors. We use the same tools, ideas, technologies, etc, etc, to create cake art as we do other art. Just did a report on how digital technology can be used in cake decorating.

I think we just need to educate the public that cakes go beyond slapping frosting on the cake. WAY TO GO!!!!!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 11:25pm
post #19 of 41

Good luck!! I hope everything goes ok for you. Definitely post pics when you can!

Courtney

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 12:24am
post #20 of 41

Sending you all my best wishes in your venture.....cant wait to see your pictures.... thumbs_up.gif
LL

sondrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sondrad Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 12:34am
post #21 of 41

I'm wishing you good luck and sending positive energy your way. A cake can definitely count as sculpture - it's just an atypical medium. Hope you do well, and can't wait to see pictures.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 12:44am
post #22 of 41

tiptop57, Best of luck!!!! I cant wait to hear the GOOD NEWS!!!!!!! Remember the power of prayer and possitive thinking! You have both from me!

seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seven Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 12:52am
post #23 of 41

NO WAY!!! Your cakes ARE FABULOUS!!!!!!!! I know its hard not to freak out but you WILL do great!!!! You do awesome work!! bEST OF LUCK!! icon_smile.gif

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 12:52am
post #24 of 41

YOU GO!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:56pm
post #25 of 41

GOOD LUCK, sending POSITIVE VIBES your way!
Leslie

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:57pm
post #26 of 41

How exciting!! Good Luck! & Blessings!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:10pm
post #27 of 41

They accepted her!!!!!!!!!

Attached is Ningyo.

Except for the cake dowels she and the screen are completely edible. She is a torted butter cake sandwiched within Satin Ice Fondant. Fondant and royal icing accents.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement, best wishes and positive energy!

The show opens tomorrow with the judges presentation at 2:30. I can't wait to see the rest of the art.

Again, thanks CCers!
LL

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:16pm
post #28 of 41

Congrats! No wonder they accepted her...she is a piece of art! Wonderful!

DuckyChickenLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuckyChickenLady Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:32pm
post #29 of 41

What a stunning piece of work! Great job! icon_smile.gif

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:59pm
post #30 of 41

WOW shes beautiful.....I'm so pleased for you thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%