The Ornament Cupcakes In The Wilton Contest!!!!

Decorating By mnmmommy Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 3:45pm by RisqueBusiness

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 2:37pm
post #61 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmmommy

Thanks frosting1111. I had fun doing them..

Here's the link for the originals http://www.wilton.com/images/contests/dtc/2006/004EF301-E737-3BDC-839A77C781C6EEC6.jpg

AWESOME!!!! Thanks for the link...I have gotta do some of these!

Was it hard to form the fondant over the top without it wrinkling and puckering on the sides and underneath?..Is there a trick to it? Did you use a template to cut the fondant more accurate?

Girl yours got me all fired up to make some, they are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Thanks so much for sharing....I'm sure these will be as popular as the Turkey cakes were this season here on CC...I loved seeing everyone's uniqueness threw each picture posted, how exciting that we can all share an idea and feel comfortable enough to replicate it and get such wonderful responses...this site is such a Blessing to us all icon_wink.gif

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 3:03pm
post #62 of 113

I can't wait to try these!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 25 Nov 2006 , 3:18pm
post #63 of 113

I hope I have time to make some of these!!!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 27 Nov 2006 , 11:23pm
post #64 of 113

Hi everyone,

I know this might sound silly but what is luster dust and where do I find it? I have cake sparkles and an unopened shimmer dust from Wilton, it that what you mean? Whenever I look for "luster dust" I can't find it. I have my sports ball pan cake cooling right now and plan to make my lame attempt at the christmas ornament tonight. It will be my first time using fondant as well icon_surprised.gif I am nervous!

mnmmommy you set the bar high with your gorgeous cupcakes icon_biggrin.gif I didn't know you could decorate cakes with royal and not have them get rock hard, or do they? Sorry I am a bit dunce.gif

Sue

BklynSuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BklynSuze Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:10am
post #65 of 113

luster dust is different than the cake sparkles..It is much finer and you can mix it with extract or grain alcohol or vodka and paint with it..I can't recall the site where I bought mine but there are many places to order it..the place I got mine sells it in sets..in fact I'll go looking though my bookmarks because I just saw a site this weekend that sold sets of colors that were pretty cool..they had fall color sets, summer colors etc.
If I can find the link I'll post it for you

BklynSuze Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:14am
post #66 of 113

found it..this is where I saw sets of dusts sold

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/catalog/category_255_Dust_Sets.html

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:29am
post #67 of 113

Thank you so much BklynSuze!!! I have to order some now....

Sue

BklynSuze Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:36am
post #68 of 113

my pleasure! aren't they cool..I love sets of things LOL I actually need to order some myself but am refraining because I need to focus on the holidays and getting the kids stuff LOL
Definately going onto my wish list for Santa though

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:50am
post #69 of 113

Ok I had to share. a few weeks ago I was in michaels and I found these two piece ornaments. they are ment for you to put trinkets or money inside. they are a clear plastic. I thought they might work for pouring chocolate for making ornaments. well I just finished the first one and it came out perfect. I am attaching a photo of the first one. there is a small line of demarcation where the two pieces fit but that can easily be rubbed off with a warm knife. The great news is they only cost 99cents. I also have the one from sugarcraft just incase these didn't work but these work much better than the one from sugar craft because of the way they "fit" together. So anyone interested might want to check out Michaels
LL

BklynSuze Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 12:57am
post #70 of 113

That does look great! Did you just coat both halves then put them together after the chocolate set up? Or did you do one side and attach the 2nd half and swirl the chocolate around inside?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:11am
post #71 of 113

Great tip! I'm going to Michael's!!

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:23am
post #72 of 113

this sounds like fun!

cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:48am
post #73 of 113

I did both halves. except for one of the halves when you put them together one piece slides into the other piece just a little to connect. I made sure to scrape that part clean.....Kinda confusing?

I coated both halves...cleaned the notch area one the one halve let them set in the freezer about 1 minute. I coated them again and then I made sure to really slop it on the edges of both so when you put them together the chocolate oozes out. That way I know I have made a connection. I put it in the freezer a while and pull apart and it came out great. I just finished about 5 and I used my exacto knife to scrape the little bit of chocolate seem.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:50am
post #74 of 113

Cocorum21, I was thinking about that while I've been reading this thread. I bought a few of those plastic "craft" balls at Michael's a few years back when I was making lots of crafts and while reading here I decided I'd search for them and try them out during the week. Thanks for doing it for me. lol

Now I really can't wait to go dig them up and give them a good cleaning before using the chocolate in them.

BklynSuze Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:51am
post #75 of 113

Thanks..I may have to try this...I know people at my daughters school would go nuts over them

cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 1:55am
post #76 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Cocorum21, I was thinking about that while I've been reading this thread. I bought a few of those plastic "craft" balls at Michael's a few years back when I was making lots of crafts and while reading here I decided I'd search for them and try them out during the week. Thanks for doing it for me. lol

Now I really can't wait to go dig them up and give them a good cleaning before using the chocolate in them.

Glad I could be of some assistance icon_biggrin.gif I only bought two I am going to have to go tomorrow to find some more so I can do several at a time.

I can't want to start decorating them tomorrow, that will be even more fun!

cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:09pm
post #77 of 113

I hope this isn't a dead topic yet because I need a little help. I tried to put some luster dust on the chocolate for the top thingy(crown part) but the luster dust doesn't stick to the chocolate it just kinda slides off. Can anyone help me? I added it to alcohol.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:11pm
post #78 of 113

you can get rid of the seam and fuse them together if you warm up a cake pan and gently place the halves on the warm cake pan and press together...

but make sure you wear those cotton gloves for chocolate or latex gloves to keep from leaving fingerprints all over them!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:14pm
post #79 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocorum21

I hope this isn't a dead topic yet because I need a little help. I tried to put some luster dust on the chocolate for the top thingy(crown part) but the luster dust doesn't stick to the chocolate it just kinda slides off. Can anyone help me? I added it to alcohol.

For use on chocolate, use the luster dust dry. Might require several applications. Just use a soft brush and keep buffing it on.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:15pm
post #80 of 113

ooh big balls of yummy chocolate! is that hard to eat though?? Or would you just break it against the table like those chocolate-orange things? I can't imagine people wanting to smash beautiful chocolate ornaments against a table to eat though! Really cool idea - I might have to make a Michael's trip also! ooh and the possibilities of coloring the ornaments and stuff!! fun!

cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:19pm
post #81 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

Quote:

For use on chocolate, use the luster dust dry. Might require several applications. Just use a soft brush and keep buffing it on.

Thanks, I'll try that. So does that mean I should have colored the chocolate a yellow color so that when I put the gold over it it will cover better? Because I just left it white.

Also on the sugar craft site it says when finished you can dust some pearl dust over then to give them a sheen. so I'm guessing that it means to put it on dry as well?

edited to add: imartsy, you would have to break it to eat. It's hard and quite large.

RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:44pm
post #82 of 113

I also found the ORNAMENT table display thingie at WALGREEN'S...for only .99!

if before you seam them together you add a pretty ribbon loop, you can then display them on the hanger thingie !!

I just keep seeing these at each table place setting at a beautiful winter wedding!!

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 3:55pm
post #83 of 113

this is so awesome...i would love to try this. has anyone done it with candy melts? and you coat the outside of the ornament, correct???

cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 4:13pm
post #84 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by megankennedy

this is so awesome...i would love to try this. has anyone done it with candy melts? and you coat the outside of the ornament, correct???

Yes that's how I did mine with candy melts.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 4:31pm
post #85 of 113

these are all so beautiful! I cant wait to try the cupcakes as well as the chocolate mold things! i learn how to work with fondant in december, perfect timing!!

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 4:34pm
post #86 of 113
Quote:

icon_confused.gif
ok i was in my way to michaels for that ball and now u guys confused me? icon_cry.gif what are u talking about now? how outside what i tough was the inside? icon_redface.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 4:53pm
post #87 of 113
Quote:

Quote:

Yes that's how I did mine with candy melts.

did you pour the chocolate OVER the outside of your mold? or did you put the melted chocolate INSIDE The mold???

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:41pm
post #88 of 113

Oohhh my daughter would LOVE to make these! She is more of a chocolate hound than me - can't wait to make a Michael's run - I was under the thinking that the chocolate goes INSIDE the mold - right?

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 5:57pm
post #89 of 113

What a great idea! To Michael's I go!!! Looking forward to trying for a holiday themed cake I will be doing in a few weeks.

cocorum21 Posted 28 Nov 2006 , 6:46pm
post #90 of 113

Ok I'm sorry for the confusion. icon_redface.gif I coat the inside of the ball. I was saying yes to the candy melts part of the question and didn't really read the rest. Sorry about that. INSIDE OF THE BALL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%