Do Not Call My Cell Phone!!! Argh!!! Rant Enclosed...

Business By cakesbyamym Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 5:10pm by Crissy_Cakes

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 38

Okay, so I'm returning calls to customers and get to a *lady* that requested I do a baby shower cake that she'd found on my website. She'd contacted me via e-mail to begin with. I replied via e-mail. No response. She GAVE me her cell number to contact her in the initial e-mail as a back up. Okay, I just called her on her cell. What was I greeted with??? "Why are you calling me on my cell phone??? icon_evil.gif How did you get my #?" icon_evil.gif Umm...YOU icon_eek.gif gave it to me to contact YOU!!! She says for me to, "Be patient and I'll get back with you when I have time." *(Said it VERY sarcastically!)* Okay...she needs the cake THIS weekend!!! Last-minute order, mind you. I had a slot to come open for Saturday, so I was happy to oblige. You know what? She can serve twinkies at her stupid shower for all I care. She sure won't be eating one of my cakes!!! tapedshut.gificon_evil.gif

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent. I needed that! LOL.

Amy

37 replies
LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 38

ha! I guess she thinks that she can get back to you on Friday and you can just magically whip the cake together for her at the last minute? lol I think not. NO CAKE FOR YOU!

how freaking rude though icon_eek.gif I hope I don't get anyone like that icon_sad.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 38

Needs a cake for this weekend and tells you to BE PATIENT? I'm with you . . . she doesn't deserve one of your cakes! I don't understand the nerve of some people who think that the world revolves around them.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 38

Its amazing at the mindset of people. It just baffles me. I think after the way she talked to you I would cancel the order also. icon_biggrin.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 38

From the sound of it, she might go somewhere else anyways, and blame it on you. Shame on you for harrassing her, you can make a cake in 2 hours, right?

I totally agree, this woman is nuts. People just don't understand this takes planning. Things need to dry. icon_smile.gif Good luck and keep us updating.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

I don't understand the nerve of some people who think that the world revolves around them.

Well to be quite honest with you... the world can't possibly revolve around anyone because it's to busy revolving around me! icon_lol.gif

(Just kidding here!)

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 38

EW! The nerve of some people! She wouldnt just call up a store front and say "be patient"....sheesh...thats no way to treat people....i would tell her to pack it in her "cellphone"......or find her a Twinkie coupon....icon_smile.gif lol

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 38

Now now you guys, I'm sure the Walmart sheet cake she is going to serve this weekend will be really delicious! I'm sure they will be happy to be patient and let her get back to them. It's all about the customers needs in this cake business...they NEED a reality check!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

I don't understand the nerve of some people who think that the world revolves around them.

Well to be quite honest with you... the world can't possibly revolve around anyone because it's to busy revolving around me! icon_lol.gif

(Just kidding here!)

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif so YOU'RE the mystery woman who leaves her cell phone number behind so that no one will use it to call you! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 6:19pm
post #10 of 38

Thanks, ya'll! I needed a good laugh. icon_lol.gif I was about to get all bent out of shape. I was reeled back down to reality by my CC buddies! Three cheers for sane internet friends! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

This lady reminds me of my days of working in the grocery store bakery. There would hardly be a Saturday go by when I'd answer the phone with a frantic mom or dad on the other end of the line. "I forgot that TODAY is my son/daughter/dog/frog/lizard/goldfish's bd. I need a cake in 15-20-30 minutes...fill in the crazy time frame amount..." You know, I've had two babies and there is NO, NO, NO way that I'd ever be able to forget the day that I brought them into this world. Even though I was half zonked into oblivion...thanks to a highly talented anesthesiologist icon_lol.gif ...I could never forget those precious days. SO, be honest!!! Just say, I'm lame and waited until the last possible minute to order a cake. Is there any way that you can help me out??? HONESTY, people...HONESTY. icon_biggrin.gif LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Have a blessed day,
Amy

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 38

cakesbymonica

Quote:
Quote:

Shame on you for harrassing her, you can make a cake in 2 hours, right?

i love how some people think that a decorated cake can be whipped up in a day or even to some hours.

last wednesday night i had a lady call me wanting a 100 piece cake for friday afternoon. which wouldn't have been so much of a problem until she went into such great detail as to what she wanted on it. that i new i wasn't gonna have time being that i'm a student going to summer school and working full time at an insurance office. she felt she was giving ample time. mind you she did call me at 9:00 pm so it's not like i could have had that night to start. i feel your agravasion.[/quote]

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 38

Hmm sounds like Prima Donna Syndrome.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 38

I'm so glad you didn't say "She needs the cake this weekend, what should I do?"

You are so right to not do a cake for this woman. Who does she think she is?

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:16pm
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

[Well to be quite honest with you... the world can't possibly revolve around anyone because it's to busy revolving around me! icon_lol.gif (Just kidding here!)

Now I'm confused...My hubby swears the world revolves around him...

Seriously though - what a witch icon_evil.gif stick to your guns if she calls back...no cake for her!!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamym

Even though I was half zonked into oblivion...thanks to a highly talented anesthesiologist icon_lol.gif ...,
Amy

Do you have his/her cell phone number? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakeMasterG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMasterG Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 38

Sometimes the bad goes with the good. The best part will be when she calls you on the 11th hour and you can tell her to go 'eat flour'. icon_biggrin.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:13pm
post #17 of 38

Oh I hope she calls you back so you can tell her you can't do it. (heh, heh, evil little laugh)

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:28pm
post #18 of 38

Hee hee! I'd love to know what her reaction would be too!!

"What you'd like a cake now, 2 hours before pick up?? Well sure, just be patient while I drive down to the local grocery store and and pick up a pre-maid cake which I'm sure will be perfect for you!!!".

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 10:30pm
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

Quote:

Even though I was half zonked into oblivion...thanks to a highly talented anesthesiologist icon_lol.gif ...,
Amy

Do you have his/her cell phone number? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:04am
post #20 of 38

No cake for her!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 11:42am
post #21 of 38

tapedshut.gificon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif Come on, share her cell number.....we can all have a good time with that one....jeez, there are some crazy people out there, are they not? icon_twisted.gif

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:05pm
post #22 of 38

I'm gonna put some blame on Food Network here, 'cuz people watch the cake challenges and think " well if it takes 8 hours to put together a masterpiece, then it should only take an hour or two for my simple little cake". They don't realize that we don't have pre-baked cakes and all the other supplies standing by waiting for their order! I agree with the other post-ers, she was unbelievably rude and IF she calls back, tell her you don't have time to do her cake & send her to the nearest grocery store or Costco.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 12:46pm
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

I'm gonna put some blame on Food Network here, 'cuz people watch the cake challenges and think " well if it takes 8 hours to put together a masterpiece, then it should only take an hour or two for my simple little cake". They don't realize that we don't have pre-baked cakes and all the other supplies standing by waiting for their order!

Yeah, but even the competitors on those challenges say that it takes WEEKS of preparation for those challenges!! All the planning and design, and they do all their tedeous time consuming stuff ahead of time.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:27pm
post #24 of 38

Right! But your average customer doesn't realize that!

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:38pm
post #25 of 38

Ok, I'm dying to know.....did she call back and what happened???

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 1:42pm
post #26 of 38

Now you got me curious too! Let us know if she does call you back. icon_smile.gif

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #27 of 38

you'all mean you don't have a cake tree in the back yard for last minute orders or customers like this?

C'mon people, stop slacking and go plant those MAGIC BEANS you all traded OLE BESSIE FOR!

tee hee

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #28 of 38

People just don't have a clue how much time goes into a cake.

What if her cell number was "accidentally" listed in a classified ad selling a donkey(a$$)? hehehe

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:41pm
post #29 of 38
Quote:

Okay, so I'm returning calls to customers and get to a *lady* that requested I do a baby shower cake that she'd found on my website. She'd contacted me via e-mail to begin with. I replied via e-mail. No response. She GAVE me her cell number to contact her in the initial e-mail as a back up. Okay, I just called her on her cell. What was I greeted with??? "Why are you calling me on my cell phone??? icon_evil.gif How did you get my #?" icon_evil.gif Umm...YOU icon_eek.gif gave it to me to contact YOU!!! She says for me to, "Be patient and I'll get back with you when I have time." *(Said it VERY sarcastically!)* Okay...she needs the cake THIS weekend!!! Last-minute order, mind you. I had a slot to come open for Saturday, so I was happy to oblige. You know what? She can serve twinkies at her stupid shower for all I care. She sure won't be eating one of my cakes!!! tapedshut.gificon_evil.gif

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent. I needed that! LOL.

Amy

Forget about her and move on to another potential client.

Personally I would never have contacted her by phone unless she called me first. I never "chase" potential clients if they want me to do a cake they "chase" me. Recently I made another cake for the ex-head honcho at work which The current head honcho saw. He came to me and asked me how much I charge for such and such I gave him a rough price and that was it. A few weeks went by, I would see him at work all the time and he never said anything more about the cake. I did the same. Last week he come to me and asked me if I could make the cake for him. I guess what I am getting at is serious clients don't try to play games and try to give you the run around - they are more professional than she is. Lose her number when/if she calls you tell her sorry you will not be able to do her cake because she never got back to you in time.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 27 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckalita

I'm gonna put some blame on Food Network here, 'cuz people watch the cake challenges and think " well if it takes 8 hours to put together a masterpiece, then it should only take an hour or two for my simple little cake". They don't realize that we don't have pre-baked cakes and all the other supplies standing by waiting for their order! I agree with the other post-ers, she was unbelievably rude and IF she calls back, tell her you don't have time to do her cake & send her to the nearest grocery store or Costco.

so true...What takes me the longest is baking the cake and preparing the frosting and other supplies. Once I have everything made, the decorating goes really fast!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%