Returned Cake :(

Decorating By Cyndi1207 Updated 30 Aug 2006 , 6:00am by newlywedws

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 79

icon_sad.gif I posted a cake yesterday in my photos with pink daisies.........it was for this girl's bday that works with my Dh. She ordered it for herself for a mini bday party she was having today.

The instructions for the cake were to do whatever I wanted.......as long as it fed 20 people and that she didn't want any extra cake. Yesterday my Dh said that everyone at work really liked it........but when she saw it....she said she thought it would be bigger. It was a 4 layer 8 inch chocolate cake. That would feed 20 people with no problem. She took the cake home.

This morning she called and said she wasn't going to use the cake after all because she didn't feel that it would be enough cake (after she emphasized that she didn't want to be left with all this extra cake) and that it was too girlie for her taste.

Uggghh.......then she should have stated exactly what she wanted!!! I only charged her $30 at that. Dh told her he would only give her back $20 to cover expenses. She's probably just going to go buy some sheet cake.

Now I know that when Dh takes the orders to get specifics on what they want. Also, we know not to take any more orders from her.

78 replies
DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 79

Not to be too rude or anything (lol) but screw her. I think its a pretty cake and you're the expert. Let her get a dry, boring cake and end up with enough to feed a small country. I'm sure everyone at your DH's work saw it and someone will see your talent and hopefully get you some more orders. She should have been more specific in her order, and your DH is right. If you don't plan on doing business with her again, make sure your expenses are covered. It's a shame that you put all that time into it, but like I said....I think it's very pretty!

Sorry about your luck icon_sad.gif
Diana

shelli72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelli72 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 79

Sorry to hear that. I love the cake, I think it is beautiful. My daughter would be honored if she had a cake like that. This has never happened to me so all I can say is "Sorry" but all your cakes are beautiful and I would never make her one again.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 79

I'm really sorry to hear that, I looked at the cake and it is beautiful. I'm not sure what I would do. She didn't specify as to what she liked and left it up to you. So I don't see how it is your fault that your not a mind reader. She must want some really big slices of cake, or that is just her excuse for not wanting to keep the cake. I would keep the cost of ingredients though and refund the rest.Even though it would kill me!!

casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 79

I think the cake looks beautiful. She probably will end up with something way less tasty by buying another cheap cake!! Her loss!!!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 79

Your cake is beautiful! Don't let her get you down. She is the one without taste!!!

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 79

That sucks that this happened. I think people always have something in mind when they say do what ever you want, but you have to press them to give you an idea. Too girly...I think it's adorable. I think though, and this is my opinion, that an 8 inch cake is probably too small for 20 people. I think if it were for a wedding cake, you'd be fine, but since it's a birthday, and people cut "chunks" of cake, that would probably only serve about 10-12. Usually when people order generic cakes like that, make sure you're considering birthday cake slices, and make it larger. Even though people say they don't want left overs, it's always better to give more then not enough. I wouldn't refund her money though...because you gave her what she asked for (which was nothing specific) Did she keep the cake? Did $10.00 even cover your expenses?

Sorry this happened, but I think all of us have had something like this happen... but you can only learn from these kinds of people, and move on. Good luck with your next orders!

veronelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronelly Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 79

If that happened to me, I dont think i could be nice about it. There would be no way i would accept a return on a perfectly good cake. For one she took it home, and also gave no directions to what she wanted. Some people just dont appreciate the work it takes to make a beautiful cake

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 79

icon_eek.gif Girlfriend Whatever icon_rolleyes.gif !! I think the cake is cute...it's very pretty...go ahead let her get a store bought sheet cake that stick to the roof of your mouth because it's toooo dry....it just goes to show what her taste are .....and they are not worthy of your cakes!

You go girl, keep on baking!! thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

P.s. next time she approaches you for a cake, charge what you normally would and then add the $20 you gave back and then add some more to the total of the cake.... icon_twisted.gif ....I guess I do sound a little vendictive today don't I? icon_twisted.gif

Cindy

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:37pm
post #10 of 79

There's just no pleasing some people.
I just looked at your cake and think it's really nice. I would love for someone to present me with a cake like this.
So ignore her.......you have all positives from people who know a nice cake....
Cake Central Rules!!!

app_37190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
app_37190 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 79

I would have a hard time giving any of the money back since she took the cake home. Why didn't she refuse it at the time of delivery? It's probably terrible to say but she probably did use the cake. I think the cake was very pretty. Sorry she was so difficult.

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 79

I can't believe she actually returned the cake. For one thing, that cake was plenty large enough to feed 20 people. For another, it's cake! How can you return it! Just eat the darn thing and be done with it. You only charged her $30, which is certainly reasonable. I don't understand people at all.
Not to mention, I think it's adorabe. I'm not a girlie-girl, but I don't think it's too feminine at all. You did a good job, and some people are impossible to please. I know it's hard, but don't beat yourself up over it. I'm sure everyone else that saw it loved it.

usaribbon.gif Samantha

heavenlybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlybakes Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 79

I don't think you really need to refund her anything at all...first of all, nothing is wrong with the cake. You did what you were instructed to do. You need to be paid for the time you've spent on the cake and the ingredients. She should have been more specific. Now, if the flavor was messed up (like vanilla for chocolate) OR the cake fell apart while handing it to her (which is an exaggeration - just trying to make a point!)then I think refund is due. You will be very generous if you'll refund the $20 BUT I really don't think that is necessary!

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 79

I'm so sorry Cyndi....I agree with everyone, the cake is totally gorgeous!!! Keep on baking and decorating girl! Your cakes are awesome!

Hugs, ~Denise

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:43pm
post #15 of 79

Sorry that has happened to you, some people just don't know how lucky they are when they get homemade. Chin up your cake was gorgeous and since your hubby works with her I would just give back her money and eat the cake and enjoy it.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:43pm
post #16 of 79

I can feel your pain icon_cry.gif I went through an ordeal with the wedding cake I did a couple weeks ago icon_sad.gif .

Alot of people don't understand that the slices are thinner than they are use to. She probablly throught that for twenty people, she would get a much larger cake.

I now tell people about the difference in my sizes verses Wilton's sizes and they will get a larger cake because they want good size slices.

Your cake is wonderful and you gave her exactly what she wanted...don't let it get to you or cause you to doubt yourself.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 79

BEAUTIFUL CAKE!!!!!!!!!!

I would have told her "sorry, no returns". I mean, is walmart gonna let someone return a cake to their bakery?!?!

Oh well, you live & learn, I guess!

Atleast you know what your talents are....now to seek out those who can appreciate it as well!

So, what did you do with the cake? I mean, she already had it in her house, etc.

Cyndi1207 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:58pm
post #18 of 79

Thanks everyone!!! This was the first time I've ever had any kind of problem. Most of my business comes from my Dh's work. At least 1 order per week comes from there.

Mendhigurl: It should have been plenty to feed 20 because it was 4 layers of cake. Those are big high slices. I least that's what I thought. I couldn't see it serving less.

Denise2434: It was hard to read your post because Matthew (your avatar) kept looking at me and I couldn't concentrate.

Once again.....thanks......I don't want it to bother me so much.....but it does. It's just that with these cakes.........you put a lot into them. I know everyone here can relate to that.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:15pm
post #19 of 79

well if nothing else, please know that i love your cake & plan on using this design icon_biggrin.gif thumbs_up.gif

about this person icon_mad.gif who the heck does she think she is & did i understand correctly that DH gave her $20 out of the $30 BACK--well did she give the cake back--cause she's already said she ain't gonna use it--DH could have given it to his co-workers--that just @%^%^^@% (oops i better cool off for i get kicked out) icon_evil.gif icon_mad.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:28pm
post #20 of 79

People are SO odd - some items are non-returnable (like underwear, earrings etc.) and I think an open cake ought to be a non-returnable too. What a weirdo. Her loss as it looks like a lovely cake.

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:30pm
post #21 of 79

I wouldn't have refunded her, she got what she asked for. A small cake and nothing specific. I think it's very pretty icon_smile.gif. Sorry you got a pain in the rear person.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:41pm
post #22 of 79

I looked at your cake and read that the cake was for a person who works at a RESTAURANT? She, of all people, should know that you cannot take food home and then return it!

If I were your husband, when she returned it, I'd have (first called you to see if it was OK, then) cut up the cake and serve it to the coworkers. Count how many slices he got out of it! Then everybody would be satisfied as to how many people it would feed.

It's true that regular people don't know how to cut round layer cakes, and although it was four layers high, and eight-inch doesn't look like enough.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 79

Sorry, but there'd be no return on a cake--EVER! No money given back, either. What the devil are you supposed to do with a cake that she had custody of for some period of time????? I wouldn't eat it--I don't know how she stored it, etc. She keeps it and deals with it--if she wants to throw it away, that's her prerogative.

Her whole story sounds like a bunch of hooey--just a simple case of buyer's remorse. I'd bet that she received a cake from another source (for free) and didn't want/didn't know how to store the one she bought for herself.

Even if she goes around complaining that you "wouldn't take the cake back"--how bad could that press really be???? She can't complain about the taste or the price!

Please print up receipts that state "No refunds, No Returns"! You worked too hard to have some capricious ditz erode your confidence!

Rae

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:08pm
post #24 of 79

I would be embarrassed to try and return a cake! icon_lol.gif Sometimes you just have to laugh at people like that.

Anyway...the cake is beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:26pm
post #25 of 79

I can't believe she asked for her money back! But, since she did I think you did the right thing. No need to cause problems for your husband and coworkers.

Your husband still has to work with her and giving her money back less your cost was the right thing.

However, I too would have cut it up and gave it the OTHER workers. Let them tell her how good it was and how pretty they thought it was.

If someone asked me for a cake to feed 20 I think I may have made a bigger cake. Even though your cake was enough since it was 4 layers people don't understand that. They only see the 8 inch round. Maybe you should have called her to explain it was four layers and that it would have fed the 20 she asked you bake it for.

To be honest I think you should have talked to her and not leave it up to your husband to get the order, deliver and then deal with the return. She should have been forced to talk to you directly. I doubt she would have been able to tell you she didn't like the look of the cake.

I would love to have heard what she said when you reminded her that SHE told YOU to do what you wanted.

Sorry this happened. I doubt if you will ever find another person like her.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:40pm
post #26 of 79

I agree with BlakesCakes! She ordered a cake with no specific instructions and then didn't like it? Tuff tookies I say! I never take an order without specifics. I compare it to going out for dinner with dh. We're almost to town and still deciding where to go. He says "I don't care, you choose." I say "Chinese sounds good..." and he makes this face. Well don't say "whatever" if you don't mean it! lol Your cake looked nice. So she got YOUR cake PLUS 20 of HER dollars back. OUCH! She made out on this deal. I wouldn't have give a refund just because she didn't like the cake and I sure wouldn't take another order from her.

Cyndi1207 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:40pm
post #27 of 79

To be honest......I was going to do the 8 inch with a 6 inch on top. Dh said that that would be too much cake and reminded me that she didn't want extra.

My hubby said that it's just business.........that these things are just going to happen. Uh....no they're not.....because just like several of you have posted.....NO RETURNS ON CAKES!!!! If when she received it yesterday and let me know that there was a problem....I would have been glad to help her out then. I'm just mad that she waited till today to call and say she didn't want it afterall. I would never do that to someone. I need to find out how old she's turning because if she's young then maybe I can try to convince myself that she's just immature and inexperienced at these kind of transactions.

This has definately been a learning experience. Now I know why at some places the owners are kind of moody. They have to put up with people like her.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 9:52pm
post #28 of 79

She definintely should have said something right away if she didn't think it was big enough. And to say it was too girly after she didn't give you any specifics is just crazy. It really wasn't that girly, just a very pretty and well-decorated cake.

I do agree that I would have probably made a larger round cake than 8" to serve 20 people. I know you made it 4 layers high and that people could certainly get a thinner slice because of the height, but I think visually a larger round that's only 2 layers high seems like more cake to people. You would probably have used the same amount of batter.

Don't worry about her, you did a great job on the cake!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 1:34am
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

I never take an order without specifics.

I love orders without specifics. I get free reign and they usually get better than what they expected.

I think this one lady is is a crackpot that people don't run into too often. As far as printing up receipts that say "no refunds No returns" ... I think it's unnecessary. I think any normal-thinking person wouldn't even think a cake was returnable!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 8:01pm
post #30 of 79

I had a similar situation happen a while ago. A woman I did not know got my name from someone I worked with. Her only instructions were that she wanted a religious cake with the words 'thanks be to God' written on it to feed about 20-25. I kept calling her back to try and get more specifics (flavor, filling, colors, allergies... ANYthing). She kept saying... oh, you just be creative... I don't have a preference....do whatever you normally do....anything will be fine.

WELL, I deliver the cake (I made a cross cake... not from the cross pan but from two super long loaf pans). She looks at it and says the color looks terrible (I just posted it in my photos so you can see... it's all of white and yellow - how nasty, right?). I charged her 25 bux... which was on the low side, so she then wants to haggle with me on the price. How about 15 because I really don't like the color. Being the wimp that I was at the time... we agreed on 20 dollars. Which is bad... but oh it gets better.

She calls me two days later to say that while the cake was very good, she didn't care for the filling and would like 5 dollars returned. I told her I had a call on the other line, and never spoke to her again (I know... the easy way out... but I just couldn't speak to the woman anymore icon_mad.gif ).

It's amazing what people will do....
Cyndi--your cake was beautiful...as everyone has said... DEFINITELY her loss.
Denise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%