Scratch Bakers: Post Your Best Recipes!!!!!!!!!!

Baking By brittanydear Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 10:31am by kkmcmahan

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 3:55am
post #91 of 426

My families favorite is on the foodnetwork website. It's Collette Peter's Chocolate Coconut Burbon Cake. It tastes better once it's had 1 day to rest, the liquior flavor is a lil' stronger in it. (most people like it, but if they don't care for burbon than it's not for them)

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 4:40am
post #92 of 426

lanibird, can you use real pumpkin & mandarins in the cake recipe ? We don't get canned pumpkin here

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:15am
post #93 of 426

Can anybody recommend a good key lime cake and key lime filling??

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 10:27am
post #94 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownsugarfemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanydear

This is my all time favorite recipe for White Cake.

Decadently Moist White Cake (from Shubox bakery on epicurious website)
COCONUT BUTTERCREAM

Hum...I tried finding the recipe above and cannot. Is there a particular place within epicurious.com where I should be searching?

Is this it?
http://www.recipezaar.com/43684

Chericakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chericakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:13pm
post #95 of 426

I have been trying to find that coconut recipe again as well. I think that I found it under another name. The recipe sounds like the one that the poster put on CC (from what I could remember anyway), and this recipe is from Shubox Cafe. so go to www.epicurious.com, and then it is under(I think) Cocnut Layer Cake. Look for the one that is from the Shubox Cafe.
I went ahead and printed it out, so I would have it.

Also, the Lemon Buttermilk Cake from Dede Wilsons The Wedding Cake Book (pg. 107) is killer. It calls for lemon oil which I got at Williams-Sonoma and well worth the $$.

Art Smith's Hummingbird Cake in his book Back to the Table is yummy too! Sometimes his recipes are on Oprah.com. I hope this helps.
Good Luck,
Cheryl

iluvcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes5 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:29pm
post #96 of 426

I don't have any from scratch recipes, but please, know that we appreciate all that are sharing their recipes. Thank you

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:47pm
post #97 of 426

Lanibird-

Yes, I second the recipe on the bake of the lable from the Baker's German Choc Baking Bar. It has been the staple goto birthday cake in our family for years. The frosting on there is to die for too!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 12:48pm
post #98 of 426

I feel my hips growing already. Thanks for sharing y'all!

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #99 of 426

Any good sugar free cake recipes for diabetics? A coworker asked my husband if I make these--I have never been asked before so I don't have a recipe or any clue how to go about it.
Please, if anyone has a good tried & true recipe please post.

Thanks.

mkolmar Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:05pm
post #100 of 426

mcook, go to allrecipes and recipegoldmine. Martha stewarts website, epicurious and foodnetwork should have some too. Never had made one yet sorry, I'll look to see if I have some recipes that are sugarfree in my file though.

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:06pm
post #101 of 426

all4cake-- Yes, that's it. icon_smile.gif

I'll 'third' the vote for the German chocolate cake recipe on the box, along w/the frosting recipe...YUM! YUM! Although I usually add more coconut than the recipe calls for... personal preference.

I'm not at home but will post my tried and true when I return.

mkolmar Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:15pm
post #102 of 426

Okay, I can't find any sugarfree recipes in my file. I know I had some, but I lost a lot of info when my hard drivev died on my computer a few weeks ago, I lost over 100 recipes. Sorry Mcook. I forgot to mention my favorite go to website though for recipes and that's recipezaar.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:43pm
post #103 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemarie

Key lime gets bitter when it is cooked for too long, so baking the flavor into the cake isn't your best option. I make a key lime cake just like a tres leches, since the mixture for a key lime pie, and for a tres leches is very similar. Bake a dryish sponge cake - Genoise or hot milk, whichever you prefer. When the cake comes out, poke about a zillion little holes in it. I use the bamboo skewers you use for kabobs. Pour a mixture of one can sweetened condensed milk mixed w/ 3/4 c key lime juice ( Nellie and Joes is best...unless you are a masochist and squeeze your own) Rest in the fridge for 4 or more hours and frost with stabilized whipped cream.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 2:59pm
post #104 of 426

Awesome thread!!! This thread encouraged me to go to the market and get some bading soda icon_lol.gif Was looking for cream of tartar but couldn't find any. I used to scratch bake when I was in the Philippines but when I got here, I got used to the convenience of cake mix. I want to go back to scratch baking. Need to build up my pantry icon_biggrin.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 3:10pm
post #105 of 426

Wow! I love this thread icon_biggrin.gif !

I posted my personal favorite on CC. It is the Vanilla Butter Cake from The Mermaid Bakery. I use it for all of my cakes, except chocolate.

My personal favorite for chocolate cake is the one on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can thumbs_up.gif - Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake. Frost it with the Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting (recipe on the same can) and you will think you have died and gone to Chocolate Heaven! I've never found a chocolate cake recipe to rival this one. Be aware the icing sets up very quickly so get it smooth right away. It also makes gorgeous roses and borders. You don't need to alter it at all, it's perfect as is.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:00pm
post #106 of 426

This is the greatest thread, whoooo hoooooo. I love it, keep em coming icon_biggrin.gif Unfortunately I haven't had success with home made so i can't even contribute icon_cry.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #107 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:

Key lime gets bitter when it is cooked for too long, so baking the flavor into the cake isn't your best option. I make a key lime cake just like a tres leches, since the mixture for a key lime pie, and for a tres leches is very similar. Bake a dryish sponge cake - Genoise or hot milk, whichever you prefer. When the cake comes out, poke about a zillion little holes in it. I use the bamboo skewers you use for kabobs. Pour a mixture of one can sweetened condensed milk mixed w/ 3/4 c key lime juice ( Nellie and Joes is best...unless you are a masochist and squeeze your own) Rest in the fridge for 4 or more hours and frost with stabilized whipped cream.

Anyone that stands and squeezes their own Key Limes needs counseling. icon_surprised.gif Those buggers are brutal!!!! icon_razz.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:58pm
post #108 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:

Anyone that stands and squeezes their own Key Limes needs counseling. icon_surprised.gif Those buggers are brutal!!!! icon_razz.gif

I have this lime squeezer that is really easy to use to squeeze even those key limes. It's from Mexico. It looks like a garlic press but round and you stick 1/2 a lime in it and squeeze. It's really handy. I have a big one and a little one.

RositaFresita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RositaFresita Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:00pm
post #109 of 426

Hi Brittany:
Would you share your cream of coconut cake recipe? I read about but I can't find the recipe.
TIA
Rosita Fresita

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:07pm
post #110 of 426

Ok, I'm feeling a little stupid here. What is the Mermaid Bakery?

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:20pm
post #111 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Lanibird, I still have yet ot make a german chocolate cake but a decorator friend of mine here swears by the one onthe back of the box of the Baker's German Chocolate squares that you find in the grocery store.

You know, you would think with that one being so obvious I would have tried it, but I haven't! icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif And seeing as it has been "thirded", it looks like I'll be making one in the next week or so. Maybe I should round up a couple others and have a tasting... DH and the In-law's would LOOOOOVE that! icon_lol.gif

Thank you! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:26pm
post #112 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules06

lanibird, can you use real pumpkin & mandarins in the cake recipe ? We don't get canned pumpkin here

Yes! Ever since I made my first pumpkin pie with fresh puree, I haven't used canned for any of my pumkin recipes. icon_biggrin.gif And since the mandarin slices are layed on the top, I don't see how you couldn't use them fresh!

Shayenne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shayenne Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 8:40pm
post #113 of 426

I'm running late for school as soon as I come back I'll share my recipe with you guys.

Love you
Shay

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 10:43pm
post #114 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyE

Ok, I'm feeling a little stupid here. What is the Mermaid Bakery?

The Mermaid Bakery is the name of my business and soon to be bakery and ice cream shop on Andros Island in the Bahamas icon_cool.gif . The Vanilla Cake is my recipe.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 10:51pm
post #115 of 426

Thanks lanibird ! thumbs_up.gif

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 11:20pm
post #116 of 426

oh love this thread.Waiting for the decadent white cake too. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:22am
post #117 of 426

The decadent white cake, with cream of coconut is called coconut cake. You can find it here ...... http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102696.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:27am
post #118 of 426

Ok I just tried using that and it didn't work. If you go to the epicurious.com and type in search...shubox coconut cake...then it brings up several choices and the one from Bon Appetit is the one. It will tell that it is the one from Shubox.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #119 of 426

All4cake posted the white/coconut recipe on page 7 of this thread. This link should work:

http://www.recipezaar.com/43684

thumbs_up.gif

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 1:01am
post #120 of 426

Thank you so much everyone for your recipes and great tips! I can't wait to try some of them!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%