Scratch Bakers: Post Your Best Recipes!!!!!!!!!!

Baking By brittanydear Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 10:31am by kkmcmahan

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:18pm
post #211 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesaltuve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanydear

This is my all time favorite recipe for White Cake.

Decadently Moist White Cake (from Shubox bakery on epicurious website)

I could not find that recipe on the website, someone on another thread lead me to this one. Do you know what name it's under?

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks

I believe this is it: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/102696
Under the name Coconut Layer Cake.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 12:22pm
post #212 of 426

Great thread!

I will be trying the Carrot Cake, and so many others in the days ahead, this weekend for my DH who loves carrot cake.

Thanks for all the great posts!

jesaltuve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:15pm
post #213 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I just made the Whimsical Bakehouse's Orange Cake, and it is HEAVENLY! I made a Grand Marnier simple syrup to brush the layers, filled it with orange mousse (also WBH) and covered it with IMBC.
That orange cake is unbelievably wonderful. Of course with the zesting and juicing of oranges, the house smelled wonderful too. icon_smile.gif

Can you post this recipe?! It sounds divine...Also...
How many of you SWEAR by the WBH Book?...I am tempted to buy it again b/c of many comments about the recipes. I bought it once and returned it b/c I was not too impressed with the cakes.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #214 of 426
Quote:

How many of you SWEAR by the WBH Book?...I am tempted to buy it again b/c of many comments about the recipes. I bought it once and returned it b/c I was not too impressed with the cakes.

The recipes are good, not great, but they are tough to screw up, so they are excellent for newer scratch bakers.

jesaltuve Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #215 of 426

Oh...ok...then I don't need that!!!
Thank you!!!!

sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 2:23pm
post #216 of 426

I love this thread, I am looking for a good white cake, White Almond Sour Cream Cake could be good option, but I have no cake mix in my country, and the Coconut Layer Cake sounds great, but I can find coconat cream either. Is it any substitute for cream of coconut?

jesaltuve Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:44pm
post #217 of 426

You can probably use almond or hazelnut milk. Anything similar to that. Or even simply milk or soy milk.

snarkybaker Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #218 of 426

For coconut cream, since it is so sweet, you'll want something like a sweetened condensed milk, which you can make by taking equal parts of sugar and whole milk and cooking them together over low heat for about 40 minutes, until the milk is reduced, and the mixture is thick and syrupy.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 5:38pm
post #219 of 426

I just ran across this website when I was looking for buttermilk funnel cake recipe. Which I never found.
http://www.free-old-time-cooking-recipes.com/Desserts.html

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:29pm
post #220 of 426

That site is great thanks for posting it.

jesaltuve Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:36pm
post #221 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieChef

I use the Ultimate Butter Cake found here:
[url]/asksarahbb/index.php?showtopic=930[/url]

I can't seem to find this recipe, can someone help? icon_redface.gif

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 6:38pm
post #222 of 426

Thanx for starting this thread. Great idea!!

I personally love the Whimsical Bakehouse Chocolate butter cake. I pair it with the whipped chocolate ganache with toasted almonds and freshly sliced strawberries and finally drizzled with regular chocolate ganache. If I'm feeling a little daring I'll brush a bit of of rum on the cake layers before filling with the whipped ganache.

OMG!!!!!! Sooooooo Sinful!!!!

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 12:46pm
post #223 of 426

Okay, baker friends, this is the base recipe for Bacardi Rum Cake that I use. I use the DH Dark Chocolate mix. I promise you it will not taste like a mix. After you bake it, before you take it out of the pan, free the edges up and poke holes in the cake while it's still in the pan. Use half of the glaze on the bottom of the cake and around the edges before you turn it out. It will make it easier to get the rum through the cake.

I drizzle choc. glaze over it if I use the bunt pan. I also bake it in regular pans, let it sit a day to absorb the rum (wrapped up of course) and then frost it with whipped ganache and put toasted pecans or almonds on it. It is one yummy cake. thumbs_up.gif

Bacardi Rum Cake

Ingredients:
1 cup (225 ml) chopped pecans (walnuts)
1 package yellow cake mix (with pudding)
3 eggs
1/2 cup (125 ml) cold water
1/3 cup (80 ml) cooking oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) Bacardi dark rum (80 proof)
Glaze:
1/4 lb (.1 kg) butter
1/4 cup (60 ml) water
1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) Bacardi dark rum

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 325 F.
Grease and flour 10 inch tube pan or 12 cups (2825 ml) bundt pan.
Sprinkle chopped nuts into bottom of pan. Mix cake ingredients and pour over
nut in the pan. Bake 1 hour.
Cool.
Invert on serving plate.
Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes,
stirring constantly.
Remove from heat; add rum. Spoon and brush (with pastry brush) glaze evenly over top and sides of the cake.
Repeat until all glaze is absorbed into the cake

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:14pm
post #224 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemum

Okay, baker friends, this is the base recipe for Bacardi Rum Cake that I use. I use the DH Dark Chocolate mix. I promise you it will not taste like a mix.

It may not taste like a mix, but it is a mix.. This thread has people expecting scratch recipes, please don't do that..

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:34pm
post #225 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemum

Okay, baker friends, this is the base recipe for Bacardi Rum Cake that I use. I use the DH Dark Chocolate mix. I promise you it will not taste like a mix.

It may not taste like a mix, but it is a mix.. This thread has people expecting scratch recipes, please don't do that..

True, but you could sub your favorite cake recipe for the mix cake she uses. and apply the glaze.. no need to make anyone feel that they shouldn't participate. icon_biggrin.gif

lilthorner Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:00pm
post #226 of 426

As I reread my post looking for anything I said to make anyone feel like they shouldn't participate I can't find anything that would give that impression alot of people get email notifications of posts that they have subscribed to and then come over expecting to find a scratch recipe and they don't..

however,

if I sub my fav cake recipe would I still be adding the oil, the eggs, or the water? I know the answer to this (assuming no) but others who are attempting scratch baking for the first or early times, may not know the answer to this..

Also, if I add 1/2 cup of rum to my fav scratch recipe, I may need to sub out some of the liquid in the recipe which a novice scratch baker also may not know causing their cake to come out incorrectly.

Maybe I should have typed this in my post instead of just requesting that it not be done

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:09pm
post #227 of 426

Wasn't implying that you were being nasty.. simply that her glaze sounded good and useful..

and yes.. I would assume that if someone were not using the cake in this particular recipe.. that they would understand to disregard the entire cake part of this particular recipe.

Again.. I didn't think you were being mean in anyway.. just that there was a useful part of her contribution. I certainly didn't intend to offend you personally. icon_biggrin.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:42pm
post #228 of 426

[/quote]It may not taste like a mix, but it is a mix.. This thread has people expecting scratch recipes, please don't do that..[/quote]
You don't find that rude! She was kind enough to try. You pretty much said don't. I can know you weren't trying to be mean, maybe you could just delete your comment.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:03pm
post #229 of 426

OK, I need to spend a few DAYS reading everything in this thread- thanks to everyone who has contributed! thumbs_up.gif

I'm working my way through the Cake Bible right now, all awesome recipes, and a terriffic education on baking, too! I highly recommend it! A few of my other faves are already posted here.

lilthorner Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:03pm
post #230 of 426

actually, I'm not going to delete my comment, becasue I wasn't being rude, there are plenty of rude ways I could have said it, I'm sure, but that's not me.

What I stated was a fact, plain and simple, its the same as someone pointing out that we shouldn't type "save" in posts, or that we shouldn't hijack posts and change the subject.. its all netiquette... if I suscribe to a post for scratch baking, I get excited when I get a notification and I come to see what recipe I can try next..

so now, i'm sure someone came on here looking for a scratch recipe because they got notification and they get this..

LGL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LGL Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #231 of 426

Toba Garrett's Almond cake (from her first cake book) is AMAZING! I don't remember if it is in her latest book.

One of the best cakes I have ever made. It is truly delicious.

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 4:14pm
post #232 of 426

Orange juice

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:39pm
post #233 of 426

OK I am new at scratch baking, but this thread inspired me. I didn't have any cake flour or some of the other ingredients called for in most of these recipes so I went searching. I ran across this recipe which intrigued me due to the fact it called for butter, oil, and buttermilk. Not to mention there was no fuss such as beating the egg whites, etc. I didn't even have to use my kitchenaid I just whisked everything together in a big bowl.

The cake came out very moist and has the flavor of a brownie. I baked it in an 11x17 cake pan. I am not sure how well this cake would tort at room temperature, but after being chilled in the fridge I don't think it would be a problem.

I need to go to the grocery so my options for topping were limited and I couldn't follow through with the rest of the recipe, just the cake part. So I made a pudding/cool whip/Irish Cream creamer mixture to add to the top. It is really good!

http://www.recipelink.com/cookbooks/2004/1580085628_2.html

jesaltuve Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 5:43pm
post #234 of 426

What's the orange juice for? Hahaha...

Girls if there's going to be fighting for a simple mistake...maybe you should create a new post to fight in!!!

snarkybaker Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 6:12pm
post #235 of 426
Quote:

What's the orange juice for? Hahaha...

Mimosas, I hope !

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 7:31pm
post #236 of 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyE

Ok, I'm feeling a little stupid here. What is the Mermaid Bakery?

The Mermaid Bakery is the name of my business and soon to be bakery and ice cream shop on Andros Island in the Bahamas icon_cool.gif . The Vanilla Cake is my recipe.

I just made your Vanilla Cake last night... it is DELICIOUS!!! Thank you!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 11:28pm
post #237 of 426

OK, I have another but this time - cheesecake! I'm not sure if anyone's posted cheesecakes yet.

This White Chocolate Cheesecake with White Chocolate Brandy Sauce has always been well-received. I love this!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/White-Chocolate-Cheesecake-with-White-Chocolate-Brandy-Sauce/Detail.aspx

I never need that much of the sauce, maybe half the recipe. I used it as a garnish when I served the cheesecake - drizzled it on from a squeeze bottle. I've only made this for family and friends but they all love it. I'll use strawberries sometimes too. I've also used Bailey's in place of the brandy.

Also, I just realized that this recipe doesn't call for a crust! But I always either make a graham cracker one for the springform pan or I'll buy a chocolate graham crust.

jesaltuve Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:11am
post #238 of 426

Ok, I saw a mention about keylime getting bitter...I must say that I made this cake:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_10697,00.html?rsrc=search

several times replacing lemon with keylime juice and it was DEliCIous...got a lot of compliments...no bitter flavor. I also filled it with the curd and also replaced the juice with the keylime juice, delish and added some curd to my buttercream for the over the topness.

I must also add that the idea to do like a tres leches, from txkat, sounds DIViNe and would not have ocurred to me...but I will try it sometime!!!

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:34am
post #239 of 426

I', still willing to try a few more recipes but so far one my favorite white cake is WBH white butter cake, you don't need a simple syrup and it's still moist and just as good a few days later, I also like the WBH golden butter and the chocolate is good but the chocolate was a little dry a day later.

has anyone tried the devils food recipe off the soft as silk box?

I have compare a couple similar recipes at the same time using ap flour and soft as silk, deffinate difference, I will always use soft as silk for all my cake recipes.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:52am
post #240 of 426

Banana Nut Cake w/Cream Cheese Frosting from Paula Deen on the
Food Network website. Delicious? You don't have to use nuts and instead of 1 tea cinnamon I used 1/2 tea cinnamon and 1/2 tea nutmeg. The nutmeg gave it a really great taste. I also put nutmeg in my carrot cake. Also I use Waldorf-Astoria Red Velvet Cake from www.cdkitchen.com. Great too! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Love this thread icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%