What Happened To Barbie?!?!

Lounge By Melvira Updated 30 May 2011 , 6:09pm by VannaD

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 May 2007 , 8:07pm
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Yes, I did notice her hip joints are bizzarre! And I'm worried that I will have to actually break the Barbie to put her in a cake... cuz if the legs don't pop in and out, what else can I do? I mean... those feet would take out half the cake on their way down!

That reminds me of what my husband says about his brother's shoes. "If Noah had those he could have saved the people, too."

I can't wait to get a better look at this atrocity they're trying to pass off as Barbie.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:40pm
post #32 of 60

Melvira-- Do you normally take the legs off?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 23 May 2007 , 9:57pm
post #33 of 60

As the granddaughter of a SERIOUS doll addict I can tell you that Barbie has undergone more plastic surgery in the last few years than can possibly be good, she's going to have her nose fall off pretty soon if she doesn't watch out. She also broke up with Ken a couple years ago, maybe he dumped her over the hip implants. I think they may have gotten back together, either that or she's hanging out with GI Joe.
The body changes started several years ago, they swore at the time that the clothes would fit either. Not unless you want the dresses to bag on small chested Barbie. Unless I'm mistaken the beach barbies all have had their feet stolen from giants.
Even a good portion of collector barbies have different body shapes.

Quote:

I'm with you heychele!! I know it's not PC... I am not asking for PC. I know we need to set good examples for children so they grow up sane and well adjusted, but the way we do that is by teaching them that SOME THINGS AREN'T REAL!!!

I grew up with the old Barbie and played princess with her and I turned out fairly normal. I'm definatly not suffering from an eating disorder.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 May 2007 , 10:11pm
post #34 of 60

I'm still wondering about those perma-panties stamped on her little behind! (Excuse me, wide hips...icon_rolleyes.gif) Like eeewwwwww!!!!! Doesn't Barbie do her laundry like every other self respecting doll out there?? icon_confused.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 23 May 2007 , 10:53pm
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I'm still wondering about those perma-panties stamped on her little behind! (Excuse me, wide hips...icon_rolleyes.gif) Like eeewwwwww!!!!! Doesn't Barbie do her laundry like every other self respecting doll out there?? icon_confused.gif

Some of the first panties appeared on barbie as a result of parents flipping out when they realised that with wider skirts you could tip the box and see up her skirt. There are some that were recalled where the doll without panties is worth WAY more than what they were replaced with.

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of pervert is standing in Walmart looking to see which barbies he can peek at. icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #36 of 60

No, I don't normally take her legs off, but if you saw those feet, I'm telling you, a pancake turner would go through the cake easier than those flippers!!

And you know, perma-panties aren't nearly as upsetting as the Barbie with nipples. I mean, come on... Barbie has realistic nipples, but Ken's crotch is a solid plastic wasteland?? What's up with that?

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:05am
post #37 of 60
Quote:

No, I don't normally take her legs off, but if you saw those feet, I'm telling you, a pancake turner would go through the cake easier than those flippers!!

And you know, perma-panties aren't nearly as upsetting as the Barbie with nipples. I mean, come on... Barbie has realistic nipples, but Ken's crotch is a solid plastic wasteland?? What's up with that?

I agree, I think that men are designing Barbie and Ken, maybe self-conscious men and they are confused about would real proportionate size crotches would be carved to look likeicon_smile.gif That's my 2 cents.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:22am
post #38 of 60

Well ladies, I have search to see what has been written about this on the net and here are a few sites I found interesting:

http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/columns/1997/12/jervis.html

http://collectdolls.about.com/library/blnewbarbie.htm

There are more but this just gives you a little info about the new barbie doll in the first link and how many dolls have been sold and a little history about Barbie. Wow just think billions!

I have 3 boys and we will only ever have the 1 Barbie I had as a girl in our house. I knew they had broken up Barbie and Ken, but I did not realize the new beau looked so much like Barbie!! Interesting:

http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/5267.shtml

Anyhow this has been an interesting post.

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:55am
post #39 of 60

By the way, I have to apologize for my faux pas. My daughter's Barbie wasn't a real one, it was "Made in China" according to the back of her head and I got a better look at her so I really think she's a knock-off barbie doll. Guess someone in China thought it would be cute if the dolls had nipples.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:14am
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by revel

lol..sounds like barbie had a baby!

OMG, I am just laughing and my DH is saying stop it, l'll go into labor. icon_lol.gif

I wonder is there a prego Barbie out there?? Or maybe "revel" is right and they got the post baby Barbie!

There is a prego Barbie. I saw it last week at an Arlingon, TX Toy'R'Us. I tripped out a bit. But I think she was not Barbie, she had a different name. (Maybe Barbie's sister)

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:15am
post #41 of 60
Quote:

I mean... those feet would take out half the cake on their way down!

ROTFLMAO icon_cry.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:24am
post #42 of 60

There was a prego barbie many years ago, which had a button on it's back. You pushed the button, and the belly popped out. My neighbor's grand-daughter had one, which her parents had purchased at a flea market. It was authentic Barbie, it even had the name embossed on the butt. I wish I would have bought it from her when she got older; they're worth a bundle now, probably enough for a down payment on a new car.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:33am
post #43 of 60

They started changing the Barbies over when my oldest DD was about 4? She's almost 8 now. I flipped out when I first saw it because I said, "Look Barbie's got a tummy and hips now." I guess they figured they needed to make Barbie more politically correct. I don't think there was anything wrong with the other Barbies. They've been that way for years and years and I don't know anyone who had a problem with them. It's always a limited few that ruin it for everyone else.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:37am
post #44 of 60

Why is Mattel remolding Barbie? Her manufacturer says that complaints about Barbie's unrealistic proportions have nothing to do with it. "Our intention is for her to have more of a teenage physique," says Mattel spokesperson Lisa McKendall.

AS POSTED ON MOTHERJONES.COM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
So does this mean that we are cheering teen mothers on. I mean if there is a teen mother and she needs help by all means lets do it, but lets not encorage it either. If she is to look more like a teen and then they are going to make a prego barbie than are they going to make, high school drop out barbie, welfare barbie, I don't have my diploma so I can't get a job Barbie? I can think of a million of them . (sorry if I am not being pc here) But come on people that dosn't make any sence.

Now on a lighter note. I didn't play with Barbies, I was a bit of a nerd, so I likes the books much better. But I think that the new Barbie is better than the Bratz. I mean comn' have you guys seen them. They have these huge heads with little itty bitty waists and talk about feet. Barbies are tiny next to these. I mean if they were to compare this to a real life person they would have feet that can stomp out a whole city and and a few towns over.

Barbie has had issues with her body for a long time and saying that she looks better now is nuts. They need to look at some real women ( not Huffners girls next door) and make a Barbie to that. Than again would our little girls want a doll with; Hair that hasn't seen a brush in a few days, but is in a pony tail and it looks ok. No make-up. a funky t-shirt that was just there and it just has a stain of pumpkin baby food that noone will notice (oh so we think). a pipping bag in one had and the phone in the other trying to take another order. sweat pants that don't even begin to match with the t-shirt because the color doesn't even exist on the color wheel from so many times that they have been bleached or sprayed with stain remover. and shoes that we are lucky that they are even the from the same pair. I know that I have seen enough of myself to go out and buy my little (12, so not so little) pumpkin a funky Barbie like that. lololololol. I have better days so I don't look like that everyday, just on crazy days, (what days aren't crzy in my house). As for her head, why didn't they just make her into a bobble head doll. She looks like her haed is going to explode. They need to ask the publics opinion and see what they come up with for a new doll. Who knows meybe its close to the original one than we think. Or meybe she has; double d's implant, cologen on her lips, lipo to her hips, thighs, arms and belly and extentions to her hair with a LV purse, Prada shoes, Gucci outfit and a tan so orange that she blends in with the sun. lolololololo

Vicky

Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:39am
post #45 of 60

Oh and by the way. I think that they had a Mcdonald's or Burger King Barbie at one time. I remember my daughter having some sort of fastfood type barbie.

Vicky

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:14pm
post #46 of 60

Burger King Barbie??? icon_eek.gif With a little crown and everything??? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Burger King Barbie??? icon_eek.gif With a little crown and everything??? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

Hey they can even give her the removable red beard and mustache. Maybe throw in Barbie tweezers?! Or an electric shaver? Just say its from the hormones from when she was pregnant. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:29pm
post #48 of 60

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ha ha ha ha ha!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cake_Mooma Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:16pm
post #49 of 60

This is the only waitress that can wear Carolina Herrera or Versace. Check these out. I thought that it was Burger King or Mcdonald's but I guess I was wrong, it was Coke Cola waitress, still she is a working at a fast food joint. Then changing to SUPER expensive gowns. icon_twisted.gif

How her look changes is something else. icon_confused.gif She looks very different in her waitress outfit than in her Versace dress. I wish I can go from Cake decorator to a Versace dress Or a Rema Acra Gown. ( I really like high end names so that was really nice to see all those fashions, wish I could afford it on my income- especially that she can on a waitress income) So lets see what was more unrealistic - her look or her careers and her fashion? Lets see what did they really need to change? icon_wink.gif

Vicky

Waitress Barbie:

http://www.barbiecollector.com/showcase/product.aspx?id=1003632&t=modern&t2=editions&x=editions&y=g33&sort=name

Soda Shop - Coke Cola Barbie:

http://www.barbiecollector.com/showcase/product.aspx?id=150289&t=modern&t2=editions&x=editions&y=g42&sort=name

Carolina Herrera Gown:

http://www.barbiecollector.com/showcase/product.aspx?id=1003571&t=modern&t2=editions&x=editions&y=g33&sort=name

Versace Gown:

http://www.barbiecollector.com/showcase/product.aspx?id=125006&t=modern&t2=editions&x=editions&y=g33&sort=name

Barbie website:
http://www.barbiecollector.com/

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:41pm
post #50 of 60

Well kiss my grits! Just look at waitress Barbie!! Who'd have thunk it?! Guess she was in disguise and on the run from Mafia Ken or something. Maybe they should just start calling her Witness Protection Barbie - with all her get ups and different careers. Tracy Ullman has nothing on her!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 May 2011 , 5:54pm
post #51 of 60

I know this thread showed back up just because of some stupid spammer but I have never laughed so hard...thank you ladies for such a good giggle even if it was from 2007

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 May 2011 , 10:29pm
post #52 of 60

Indeed, I had a good laugh too. Then another when I saw the stupid spammer who can't even spam properly icon_biggrin.gif

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:03am
post #53 of 60

This thread seriously made me laugh, some of the comments are hilarious!

Wow! I didn't know they were changing Barbie! I have a whole box of hand made barbie clothes that I played with as a little girl. They were made for me by an elderly neighbor and dear friend. I saved them for my little girls to play with someday. I don't think they would fit the new barbie, I guess I'll hafta try and find some vintage ones on ebay!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 26 May 2011 , 1:45am
post #54 of 60

i hate the new barbies! i remember the heads popping off of barbies when i was a kid...we would kind of just shove the head back down onto the neck and pretend barbie had some kind of deformity...(messed up kid i know rofl) but the new barbies have this weird ball thing in their heads where you cant push them back onto the necks unless you take a knife to it. and i remember a "prego" barbie where the baby popped out of a little cloth pouch that attached to barbies tummy. very in your face shocking for little kids. stupid mattel workers... icon_rolleyes.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 29 May 2011 , 12:09am
post #55 of 60

I'll tell ya', I'm just a hater. I'm totally jealous of Barbie's new body. After having twins, things just aren't "looking up" (if you what I mean).

As for the hair, the manufacturers probably figure the kids are going to whack of her hair and rip her head off so Godzilla can eat it anyway, might as well beat them to the chase.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:34pm
post #56 of 60

Tita! I haven't seen a post from you in ages!! How the heck are you!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 30 May 2011 , 12:19am
post #57 of 60

A woman goes to the store to buy a Barbie for her daughter.
The sales clerk points to the row of dolls and says
"Here we have our classic Barbie. She is $19.99."
He points to another one and says "This is Dr. Barbie. She is $29.99"
He points to a third doll and says this is Divorce Barbie. She is 299 dollars and 99 cents"

The woman exclaims "$299.99!!! Why on earth is that one so expensive?!?"
The clerk answers, "Well, she comes with Ken's boat, Ken's house, Ken's car..."

VannaD Posted 30 May 2011 , 2:02am
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

A woman goes to the store to buy a Barbie for her daughter.
The sales clerk points to the row of dolls and says
"Here we have our classic Barbie. She is $19.99."
He points to another one and says "This is Dr. Barbie. She is $29.99"
He points to a third doll and says this is Divorce Barbie. She is 299 dollars and 99 cents"

The woman exclaims "$299.99!!! Why on earth is that one so expensive?!?"
The clerk answers, "Well, she comes with Ken's boat, Ken's house, Ken's car..."

Hahahahahah!! That's so funny!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 30 May 2011 , 4:51pm
post #59 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by VannaD

Very interesting actually, thanks for asking after me!

I'm actually praying pretty hard that this Texas Food Cottage law passes. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in December and I don't know how long before I'm going to be unable to deal with running a business. My hubby's still in the Army and he probably won't retire anytime soon, so the sooner I can start the better.

How have you been? I've missed my CC friends!

VannaD Posted 30 May 2011 , 6:09pm
post #60 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Quote:
Originally Posted by VannaD

Very interesting actually, thanks for asking after me!

I'm actually praying pretty hard that this Texas Food Cottage law passes. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in December and I don't know how long before I'm going to be unable to deal with running a business. My hubby's still in the Army and he probably won't retire anytime soon, so the sooner I can start the better.

How have you been? I've missed my CC friends!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Is your husband home right now, or over seas? I noticed you hadn't been on in a while, I didn't know if you were another " lost member". There are quite a few CC' ers gone that you knew. My family is doing well, thank you for asking. Mostly I've been lurking lately, instead of posting. One of my favorite post was the " doing laundry" one a while back, I believe you were involved in that one! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%