Are There Any Cakes You Would Refuse To Do??

Decorating By PurplePetunia Updated 23 May 2005 , 4:17am by SquirrellyCakes

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:29am
post #1 of 36

Have any of you, who sell your cakes, ever refused to do a particular design that went against your personal beliefs, religious beliefs or moral standards??

For example, and these are just examples:

Would a Jewish person refuse an order for a cake with Jesus on it??

Would a Christian refuse an order for a Halloween cake or something with a devil on it??

Would any one whose religion requires women to be covered, refuse an order for a cake with a woman in a bikini??

Would any deeply religious person or one with strong moral standards refuse an order for an X rated cake??

Personally, I haven't had to refuse an order yet, but I'd like to know if anyone has done this before and how you handled it?? I have very strong moral standards and therefore would not want to do X rated cakes. Also I have very strong religious beliefs that would prevent me from doing certain designs.

Can this be counted as discrimination from the customer's point of view??

I know this may be a very sticky subject, but please know that I'm not trying to start any kind of debate here, nor am I trying to undermine anyone's religious, personal or moral beliefs. I love people of all faiths and beliefs even though I may not always agree with them.
So PLEASE, don't be offended in anyway. That is not my intent.

Thank you for understanding and for giving me some advice on how to handle this.

Purple Petunia icon_smile.gif

35 replies
Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:47am
post #2 of 36

I don't think I would refuse to do a cake based on religious beliefs etc., because I believe that we live in a big world filled with many people and should have tolerance. However with respect to XXX cakes, I don't think I would be very comfortable. Sounds a little double standard doesn't it, but thats my view.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:48am
post #3 of 36

This is a really interesting topic. I don't think refusing to do a cake for religious or moral reasons could be considered discrimination. Heck...I refuse to do cakes just because I'm not in the mood--LOL! I draw my line at XXX cakes. I just don't want to be creative in that way.

As far as discrimination goes, I think it would be more discriminatory to force a decorator to make a cake that was against his or her beliefs. If you work for a bakery though...it may cost you your job. That would be an interesting court case. I wonder who'd win--the bakery or the decorator? Probably the bakery. It's like teaching and evolution. You have to follow the lesson plan.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 5:07am
post #4 of 36

I would never refuse to do a cake based on a difference in religious beliefs, for example, I am Catholic and I do Bar Mitsvah cakes and such because I respect people of all faiths and people of no faiths.
Personally and this is just a quirk of mine, but I will not do a devil cake, because I get the creeps about it, must be all that fear of the devil, haha! And I will not do x-rated cakes, in fact I got an offer to supply these kinds of cakes for a business and it would have been good money, but no thanks. I just am not comfortable with them, nor would I go to a stripper bar or x-rated store, because I am uncomfortable with these places also. Haha, maybe that makes me a prude, but it doesn't mean that I am passing judgement on folks that want these cakes or others that make them, no not at all. I will send them to someone I know that will make these for them.
I also will not make a cake where I know the ingredients will not hold up to the use intended nor will I make a cake that I think will be unstable.
I do not see anything wrong with stating that there are certain things you will not do.
I do think if you discriminate against people as customers based on their cultures or nationalities or religions, you will find yourself in trouble and it would be well-deserved.
I do think that you are fully within your rights to refuse to do any cake with obscenities or hate or intolerance messages or symbols on them, in fact it is likely illegal to use hate or intolerance messages in most countries.
Just my opinion.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PurplePetunia Posted 19 May 2005 , 5:35am
post #5 of 36

Thanks for all the replies so far. I tend to agree with you all on the most part.
However, I just want to clarify what I mean when I say "refuse an order because of religious beliefs"
I don't mean refuse an order for someone of another religion, like doing a bar mitzvah cake just because they are of a different religion.
I do mean refuse the order if the cake design conflicts with your religious beliefs, like a Christian doing a cake with a design of halloween, the devil, etc.
Or a cake with a woman in a bikini when your religious beliefs are that women shouldn't expose too much skin.

Refusing an order just because someone is a different religion would definitely be discriminating, like Squirrelly said, and anyway, you'd probably not have any customers at all then!

Thanks for the replies again.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has refused an order and how you dealt with the customer.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 5:40am
post #6 of 36

Well kiddo, when I was asked to do the x-rated cakes for that company, I just said no, I was sorry but I wouldn't be comfortable doing those kinds of cakes and I suggested some alternative people to contact. I am sure others will have other responses.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PurplePetunia Posted 19 May 2005 , 5:45am
post #7 of 36

Thanks Squirrelly!
I guess then, it would be handy to know someone else who would do it and then refer the customer to them instead.

Good idea!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 19 May 2005 , 9:14am
post #8 of 36

the only thing I would refuse to do is if I didnt think I could do what the customer wanted... I have made a cake for a bridal shower (man anatomy) and one for a bachelor party (some of a womans anatomy), and I have also put a ring inside a cake (after it was baked for someone and then made sure I told this person who ordered it where exactly the ring was...for example under the persons name. So no I dont think I would refuse to do a cake if I knew in my head and heart it is something I could possibly do....

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 19 May 2005 , 10:39am
post #9 of 36

I have a fairly open mind and right now I would more then likely do any cake someone wanted, within copyright laws. Being a guy, it takes a lot to offend me. icon_smile.gif

Joe

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 19 May 2005 , 11:59am
post #10 of 36

yeah me too Joe, its very very hard to offend me... I was in the Navy where women had to know how to slam the men if I had to... icon_lol.gif

Kisskiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kisskiss Posted 19 May 2005 , 12:08pm
post #11 of 36

I dont see me doing it either.... but I respect those who would just as I would respect those who wouldnt.

heartbelongstoyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartbelongstoyou Posted 19 May 2005 , 12:10pm
post #12 of 36

Well I guess I would refuse to do somethings, just because I know others that would...but for the most part I think I would be safe!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 19 May 2005 , 12:32pm
post #13 of 36

Ok the xxx thing wouldn't fly here. I have two little kids and I can't see a giant you know what sitting on my counter with my babies running around. I wouldn't really want to do any type of devil thing either, but I can't really see the need for that. Other than that I'm ok, but you're free to trun anything down just because you want to!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 12:50pm
post #14 of 36

Hi Purple,
Went back and re-read your original post.
I agree with what Peacockplace said, you can turn down something just because you don't want to do it.
Think of it like art work. For example you can commission an artist to do a painting or sculpture. If you want something that the artist feels is not within his realm or he just plain doesn't want to do it, he will refuse.
Even in-store bakeries will refuse to do certain cakes, due to the time consuming nature of them or the design.
Anti-discrimination laws protect against discrimination of people.
So no, you are not legally bound to create a cake that goes against your beliefs.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

trisha1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trisha1972 Posted 19 May 2005 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 36

Nope. I haven't refused to do anything yet. I did a naked woman's torso, but wouldn't post it anywhere just because of the fact that I wasn't happy with it personally. I KNOW I could have done it better. I have a pan for the male member, since I've been asked about doing one a couple of times. Takes alot to offend me.

Now...........I have tried DESPERATELY to get out of making a cake for my bil's engagement party/bridal shower but only because I don't like either the bride nor the groom. Hasn't worked yet. MIL wants me to do it. I did absolutely REFUSE to do their wedding cake. Not backing down on that one!

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 19 May 2005 , 2:58pm
post #16 of 36

Hi
If you are uncomfortable doing something, just say no or that you are booked for that weekend. Although if a lie will make you uncomfortable too, then just tell the truth!

The only cake I have ever refused to do was one that the customer wanted me to put a ......well let me say.....a common drug that resemebles a cigarette!!! Well they went ahead and ordered a cake without it, and later showed me pictures that they added their own. I was mad! icon_mad.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 19 May 2005 , 3:21pm
post #17 of 36

Hi, the only thing as of right now that I would refuse. Are BIG cakes. Like for weddings, sweet sixteens. From experience, I do not have that ability yet. As far as all that other stuff. Sure why not, it's not for me and I won't be eating it. I too am catholic, but you know the devil doesn't scare me I believe the devil fears me. LOL I love my rosary!! As far as making the xxx rated cakes. It WAS hard keeping that one a secret. Next one will be made at my friends house, he lives alone. Safe for me to be opened minded with out kids around.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:20pm
post #18 of 36

Heehee Briansbaker, just wanted to clarify this. It isn't considered wrong in our religion to celebrate Halloween or make a devil cake unless of course you are a devil worshipper. I know it is considered wrong in a number of other Christian faiths For me there is a deep rooted fear, likely based on too many years of schooling with nuns in charge, having watched a program on real exorcisms and having had some experiences with a couple of people who behaved much like someone that was possessed. To this day I don't watch movies or read books that have anything to do with the devil. Well ok, the Tasmanian Devil makes me laugh but otherwise...
I still remember one nun telling us that the devil tries to get your soul even when you are on your deathbed and most especially then. What a thing to tell a child. It was a big fear for my mother, to the point where I told the priest about it and had him talk to her about it being nonsense, when she was dying.
Hhmn, guess I would be turning down any Exorcism cakes too, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:33pm
post #19 of 36

Hey squirrelly, I don't watch that kind of stuff either, just don't want it in my home!Don't like the mood that kind of stuff brings. There's so much of it out there these day. I like home to be a refuge from the world.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 19 May 2005 , 4:48pm
post #20 of 36

I would turn down a cake w/ body parts like that just because of my own morals. AND I do not judge people who will do them. XXX rated is not for me. I don't celebrate Halloween but do celebrate Fall. I would do like a pumpkin, cat or spooky house (things like that) for someone but I won't do anything having to do w/ the devil or demonic stuff. That's just against my beliefs. Now this might be a double standard but I love scary movies! But I won't watch the devil ones. icon_lol.gif My belief is fear God & stay away from the devil thumbs_up.gif

I will turn down any cake I don't feel comfortable doing or that I think is over my level of decorating. If customers don't like that then they can go somewhere else. icon_smile.gif I mainly just do cakes for family & friends so they all know me & would never ask me to do a cake that would so against my morals.

Oh... I forgot.. I'm not against any religions that don't believe the same as me. I just wouldn't do one for other reasons. That's just my opinion~

So stand strong in your belief's, morals or whatever it is that you want to call it. That makes you a stronger person!! icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 5:11pm
post #21 of 36

Yeppers, you have to be who you are!
Whenever people ask me who I will do cakes for, I always say I will do cakes for people I like. That usually gets a funny reaction and I can't say I blame them, haha! But actually that is my number one rule. The reasons are varied, but when you like a person, you are more apt to be inclined to put more effort into what you are doing. But if a person is difficult or unreasonable or nasty or rude, well you get into a bit of a negative mood and you may not be producing the same quality work and you may well not enjoy it as much either. Plus you are likely to have issues when the cake is delivered, with payment or criticisms and such.
I will often sell a cake for cost and if the person has been particularly nice to deal with, I will add several extras to the cake as little surprises and such. Like little molded candy extras, candles, fondant figures, things like that.
I did an anniversary cake for a family that were surprising their parents for their 50th anniversary. These customers had a connection to a neighbour of mine. Anyway they told me all of the details of the party and the surprises they had planned and such and it was easy to tell that they were struggling to keep costs down. So I did the cake for cost and lent them my cake stand and bought candles and had hand crocheted decorations made for the set up and all. I decorated the cake with 150 fondant roses. The ingredients cost me $160 and that is what I charged them. But they took such delight in it, that it was like they paid me thousands of dollars.
The dental office I go to has a sign at the counter. It specifies that there is an additional fee of $15 for any patients that are rude, difficult or nasty to the employees. It always makes me laugh. This is the happiest group of people I have ever dealt with. I guess I share their philosophy.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 19 May 2005 , 5:29pm
post #22 of 36

I know in my heart when I shouldn't be taking an order. I get a sick feeling in my stomach when I know something isn't right for me. I suggest to the client other decorators in the area who might be available to help them out. I generally just tell them that I won't be able to take their order and leave it at that........they don't need to know the reason why.

The only cakes I haven't taken are ones I know that whatever I do is not going to please the client........every once in a while you get that person who is not going to be happy with whatever they get.......I try not to deal with them. They bring me down and make me feel bad about myself......I don't want to go through that.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 19 May 2005 , 6:36pm
post #23 of 36

Well--as far as for religious reasons, I would have to say, no, I wouldn't turn down an order (that I can think of off hand, anyway).

As far as the XXX, I would have to turn that down. I would go to "R" rated or maybe even "NC-17" but as far as getting down and dirty with the XXX stuff, nope. Mostly, because I have 2 little children and my 5 year old loves to watch me decorate. I could just imagine the questions that would pop up with me doing something like that.

So far, though, this hasn't been an issue--nobody has asked me to do anythin glike that.

Lisa

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 6:47pm
post #24 of 36

Cakelady, I agree totally. Life is too short, you are better off if you can put yourself in good situations!
Hugs Squirrelly

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 19 May 2005 , 8:48pm
post #25 of 36

SquirrellyCakes
I understand...I have never met anyone that claims to be a devil worshipper.. I sat and thought about it..hmm I guess I could not see myself drawing or molding a devil for a cake. My jesus looks at me everyday when I walk into my house.. I don't think I could betray him like that..So I guess after thinking about, No I will not do a devil cake. I will do everything else, but no devils for me. icon_smile.gif

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 19 May 2005 , 9:20pm
post #26 of 36

I don't believe that there would be any cakes that, if I felt I could skillfully decorate, that I would turn down. The only time I have turned anything down was when I felt that the design that the person wanted was too complex for me. Just out of curiousity though, for those of you who say you would not do a devil. What if someone requested a cake for a huge basketball fan, who's favorite team just happens to be Duke. There mascot is a blue devil. Would you still refuse? Just curious. thanks!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 May 2005 , 9:40pm
post #27 of 36

Hi Trisha, good for you refusing to do the wedding cake for bil! I find it difficult to even buy a nice card for somebody that I'm unhappy with, trying to make a cake for someone you don't like would be an unpleasant task at best! Even though making the cake for the engagement party will be difficult, remember the other people who will see it and enjoy it, make it for them, not the bil & future sil...and most of all make it for yourself! Janice

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 19 May 2005 , 10:09pm
post #28 of 36

i do any typ eof cake the customer wants, if they are willing to pay ill do it... i do xrated cakes and even went so far to go by the shape cookie cutters from an adult store.... funniest thing was after i made the cookies a repair man was at our house and my dad hid the cookies that were left out to dry in the oven and microwave.. he was too embarrasses icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 May 2005 , 11:02pm
post #29 of 36

Heehee, I think your Dad must be one of my long lost Chicago cousins, haha!
Haha, Gina, I would have two reason then not to make the cake, the devil and the fact that it was the wrong team, haha!
Now let's start some trouble, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 19 May 2005 , 11:17pm
post #30 of 36

well u know squirrely.. i am from the chicago area icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%