I'm Desperate To Know...

Decorating By sugarlaced Updated 1 May 2007 , 3:03pm by CarolAnn

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 44

what kind of vehicle do you guys drive?? I have a BIG Yukon XL and gas has risen to $3.20 and still rising!!!!

It is usually just me in the car so I could use something smaller, but what about that occasional large cake I would need to carry?

Is there such thing as sporty, roomy hatchback, GOOD on gas?? And cheap!LOL icon_lol.gif

43 replies
onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 44

I still have my full size Bronco(5 speed) but last year we got a Scion XA(automatic--Toyota). I just dreaded "filling" that thing up with gas when it was so highit has a 28 gal tank $$$$! I love the XA and it is just me in it on most days. I get 29 to 36 mpg. I did get 36 on a trip to visit my son--had cup cakes in the back--really.
Its a 5 dr, seats 4-5, with a small hatch and the seats can fold down. We bought it last August and I have 10K miles on it already.
I got gas a Costco and it was $2.72. It is as high as $2.92. I pay half and get more miles to the gallon now!

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 44

I have a Hyundai Sante Fe. I like it because it is big enough for larger cakes (and my DH and 2 kids) and it is pretty good on gas for an SUV. I get around 20 mpg and more on highway.

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 44

bump icon_lol.gif

Jaremcal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaremcal Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 44

I have a Pontiac Montana SV6 which is a minivan. Dh has a Chevy Trailblazer. Both are more then enough room but both are not good when it comes to filling up. We are at almost $3 a gallon.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:34am
post #6 of 44

I bought a 2007 Dodge Caliber in September, and this thing is awesome. It's a really sporty wagon looking thing. Nice cargo area, both back seats fold flat, and the front passenger seat folds flat! I was replacing my 2003 VW beetle (anyone want to buy one, I still have it) because I never had enough room for wedding cakes. The caliber is reasonably priced too if you buy the basic or mid level models. I opted for the R/T with all the bells and whistles. I spend about $32 for a tank of gas right now, lasts me about 7-10 days.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:28am
post #7 of 44

I have a 2004 toyota rav4S. It has such a roomy back and the door opens out and I just slide the cakes right in. I love it! My husband just bought a Toyota Fjcruiser and I can use that one too. icon_biggrin.gif

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:47am
post #8 of 44

I just got a 2007 Toyota Rav4 and it is quite roomy in the back and great on gas. I get about 30 miles to the gallon. Not to bad.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 44

I have a Dodge Caravan. It gets great gas mileage but I want something else....like a Dodge Magnum...with a hemi... icon_cool.gif Anyway, I go about 1 1/2 weeks on a tank and it costs about $45 to fill up.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 44

I drive a Pontiac Vibe (hatchback). We got it just before I had my son - needed more room, didn't want the gas bills of a big SUV but I just couldn't bring myself to drive a mini-van. I love it! Gets great gas mileage - around 30 MPG or so.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 44

I drive a suburban and yesterday it cost me $90 to fill up icon_surprised.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 44

I have a Yukon but not the XL that we purchased right before Christmas. I used to drive a Honda Element which worked great for delivering cakes but really didn't get as good gas mileage as I would have liked for a Honda. Other than that I loved it!

Debbie

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:32pm
post #13 of 44

I have a GMC Envoy XL and it costs me about $60 to fill up. This time of year I fill up at least 2 times a week. I'm a realtor for my "real" job so the gas station is my LEAST favorite place!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 44

I,too, drive a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The Chevy HHR is an awesome ride...smooooooooth traveling in that one!

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:39pm
post #15 of 44

My mom has a Rav4 and it is great for zipping around town and on gas milage! It is a 2000 and looks as good as the day she boght it!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 44

I drive a Ford Expedition. Love the car, hate the mileage. BUT I am a woodworker also and I can put the seats down and slide in lots lumber and whole sheets of plywood, so for me it's a-okay. I also live 12 miles out of town so I am generally careful about bunching my errands etc together so I make organized trips to town. Generally.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:07pm
post #17 of 44

$3?? We pay $7. So enjoy your prices and don't move to Denmark icon_biggrin.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:13pm
post #18 of 44

I've got a 98 Subaru Forester and love it. I put 140,000 miles on it so far and hope to put on many more. It's carrying capacity is large enough inside to carry two passengers and a full size maytag washer in the back when the back seats are folded down. I've got the SUV 4wheel drive features without the need for big gas bills and it has a low center of gravity and won't roll over but the same undercarraige clearance as a Ford explorer. I've driven it off road, on the beach and in the snow and it handles superbly.

My main reason for buying it was that I couldn't reach the roof of a big SUV to load kayaks or bikes on the roof. My friends are envious since they have to carry steps or ladders to tie on their equipment.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:22pm
post #19 of 44

I have a PT Cruiser and with the seat out I can haul 87 cases of Girl Scout cookies (1044 boxes) It is very roomy in the back - and very cool to drive!

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:28pm
post #20 of 44

Thanks for starting this thread!! I've been scoping out new vehicles, too. It's very difficult to transport cakes in my hubby's GMC Sierra truck and it only gets about 20mpg. I really want a Jeep Wrangler..but I don't think I'll be able to transport in that icon_sad.gif -hmm don't suppose I'll be getting that $70k '58 Vette anytime soon either -unless my evil plan has worked and no one can resist the taste of my deliciously awesome cakes.. soon I'll be a MILLIONAIRE..hahahaha. icon_lol.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 44

I just traded in my Ford Expedition (25 gal tank) for a 2007 Ford Edge (19 gal tank) I´m LOVING my new car, smaller but still a SUV, I´m soooo happy! I get aprox 425 mi on a full tank, same amount I used to get with my Expedition on a 25 gal tank, so I guess I´m saving 6 gallons of gas and make the same milage. This Edge is a crossover and I´m loving life!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:53pm
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Quote:

I just couldn't bring myself to drive a mini-van.

I understand what you mean they are so... soccer mom. But I broke down and bought one 4 years ago, Ok, they are ugly- but really convient. I have a Pontiac Montana, but my next one will have the stow and go feature. Taking the seats out is a major pain. And I love the automatic sliding door opener.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:57pm
post #23 of 44

I have an Expedition. I have four kids.........one of them always happens to have a friend with them and then I have to take them all with me to deliver cakes. It takes almost $50 to fill it up but I really love it. I couldn't imagine having to haul my family around in anything smaller.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #24 of 44

I just bought my daughter a Mitsubishi Outlander and we love it. It has tons of room in the back and I like how the window lifts up for small things but the tailgate folds flat for heavier items. It is really easy for loading things and with the back seats folded, it has tons of room. Gas mileage is about 24 to 27 mpg.

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:10pm
post #25 of 44

I have a 2004 Mazda Tribute it gets fantastic gas mileage, I only fill up every three weeks and it costs $40 (gas is $2.80 here) to fill up. I'm a SAHM and everthing I need is within a 10 mile radius of me. Have you ever considered getting a standard? My Tribute is a standard and the gas mileage is great about 30 mpg in the city. No idea about highway miles.

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:13pm
post #26 of 44

sweetconfections, I am jelous.
I also drive a dodge caravan. Its only 2 yrs old....(i am ready for a new car, i want the toyota sienna) It costs me almost $60 to fill the tank which only lasts around 8 or 9 days.
When we first bought the car it cost $26 to fill it and now.....
Just keep in mind that the US still has some of the cheapest gas in the world.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #27 of 44

I have a Suburban, my in-laws threw a fit when my husband decided to buy it because of mileage. My husband says it's not that bad since I only go to town a couple times a week and we have to take something bigger when we go see my parents so we can haul the camper.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:19pm
post #28 of 44

I bought a Pontiac Torrent (SUV) last summer. I love it and so does DH. (he used to want me to drive all the time, and now he won't let me drive my own car. He wants to drive all the time!) It is very roomy. Plenty of room for 5 people, plus the back. I have hauled several cakes, with no problem.
It gets around 22-25 mpg. Drives GREAT!

pokeyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pokeyanne Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:22pm
post #29 of 44

I have a 2004 Honda Oddyssey. I didn't want a mini van either but now that we have had it for 4 years I can't imagine my life without it. We were recently talking about getting another car for just little trips around town with the cost of gas at $3.20 a gallon and rising. The thing is I don't think I can live without the van now. Especially for the trips to costco!!icon_smile.gif During Easter I had to deliver 5 cakes 2 1/2 hours away and I fit them all in the van plus 2 kids. So what ever car we decide on I think it'll have to be "another" car and not a "replacement" car.

Slice_N_Ice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Slice_N_Ice Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:24pm
post #30 of 44

I drive a 2001 Pontiac Aztek. The back hatch is heavy to lift but it has pleanty of room. Gas for this is higher than our 4 cylinder pickup but the ride and room are worth it. This one is an AWD and can get us where we need to go in the snowy winters. Anyone else have an Aztek?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%