Did I Get My Point Across?

Decorating By sassyredhead Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 5:44am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

sassyredhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassyredhead Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:08am
post #1 of 27

This is a cake I just finished tonight for a mechanic. I want it to look like the message is written in oil by the funnel. Then with random oil spots all around. I didn't want to go too nuts, and I'm not unhappy with it, but was wondering if I got my point across or are they going to go..."huh?"
Should I add anything? Change anything?

Any suggestions are welcome. I have 1 day to tweak. (Please don't tell me it's terrible and I need to start over. That's not an option. icon_razz.gif )

TIA
LL

26 replies
Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:13am
post #2 of 27

That is so cute

How clever to think of that

He will love it

You don't want to overdue on a guy's cake

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #3 of 27

Just me, I would do one spot bigger than the others. But the overall design is great. You came up with a winner on this design.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:18am
post #4 of 27

I thought it was a martiny glass at first, but when I got your description I saw it right away, like Janette said, you dont want to do too much on a guy's cake.

You might want to write "oil only" on the funnel. Or you could add a small can of oil on the top right corner. Or both! icon_wink.gif

That the only thing that comes to mind. otherwise it looks really cool. thumbs_up.gif

It's a great Idea.

HTH

Good Luck.

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:19am
post #5 of 27

I thought it was a glass of wine.. didn't realize it was a funnel.. I think i'd add a wrench or something.. Sorry, I know that isn't what you probably wanted to hear.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:25am
post #6 of 27

hmm... you know what I would add to be sure they "get it". I would add a container of oil! Like, pick the brand he works with a lot.

Melissa

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:26am
post #7 of 27

I think the "oil only" suggestion is quick and easy enough.

I love the black looking so "oily"!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:27am
post #8 of 27

Yep, an oil can would be good.
Jacqui

sassyredhead Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:32am
post #9 of 27

Keep the ideas coming! I thought of a wrench, but don't have any silver coloring. I could attempt the bottle of oil though...maybe in the top right corner...The last thing I want them thinking is that it's a glass intstead of a funnel. icon_redface.gif It was not as easy as I thought to do that darned silly funnel. icon_lol.gif

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:36am
post #10 of 27

You could put an oil can in the corner with the weight on it like 10w40 or 10W30. OR put the number of his birthday..like 10W25, etc.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:42am
post #11 of 27

I think a wrench is a really good idea, doesn't have to be silver, you can do gray.

And I would make the oil spots much bigger and sort of splash and droplet shapes, like this:

If you have Microsoft Word, there's a better splash shape in the clipart.
LL

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:43am
post #12 of 27

You could always do the oil can with BCT?
Jacqui

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:49am
post #13 of 27

I'd write 'oil' on the funnel, just to be sure they get it, and possibly add one more dripping drop of oil coming out of the top, sort of like a spill?

Oil can is a good idea, too, especially if you know the brand, or just the 10W40 on the side.

Other than that, it's very original and a great guy's cake.

Don't forget to show us the "after" pic if you change anything.

gateaux Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:56am
post #14 of 27

I just looked at some funnels, and some have a little handle. that might help get away from the glass idea.

Check this out: http://www.marketlaunchers.com/shaw1.jpg
or
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/62799/2/istockphoto_62799_funnel_1_of_2.jpg

I also really like the 10W40 idea, it could be 04J23 or something or his age or something. Written either on the funnel or on an oil can.

There is always someone to help improve or build up on an idea.

Thanks for all being here so we can help each other out. It's so much fun to let your imagination do the driving sometimes.

Good Luck.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:29pm
post #15 of 27

How about an oil can or a couple of tools?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 27

I think that the others are right! You don't want to put too much on a guys cake!

I think writting on the oil can would help. And what about making a couple of small blobs withing the writing?? I dont' know if you would want to mess that up though since your writing is so nice!

Great idea and he will love it! thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:43pm
post #17 of 27

This cake is adorable and a great idea! Very clever!

I know you don't have much room, but if you could make the bowl part of the funnel wider, it would look more like a funnel than a wine glass. I also like the idea of adding the little handle.

I don't know how much you're willing to redo, but in my opinion (for what THAT'S worth! icon_wink.gif the funnel should be tilted the other way - narrow end to the left. Of course, I am no expert in the mechanics of funnel oil writing. LOL

I also agree with more splattery looking spots. Maybe a strategically placed splatter on one of the words. Oooo! I've got it! Make some splatters out of melted chocolate. Then, you could place them anywhere you want! Even on the sides of the cake!

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:45pm
post #18 of 27

I think you should add an empty oil bottle in the upper right hand side of the cake, laying on the side with oil spilling out. icon_smile.gif

Aurora0044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora0044 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 27

I would actual say make the words look more messy, cause oil is messy. It looks to pretty to be oil. But I love the concept and it looks nice overall!

sassyredhead Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:20pm
post #20 of 27

Thank you all so much for your input. I love CC! As you can see, I used some of your ideas. icon_smile.gif And I think the difference is night and day! I'm such a beginner, and all of the help was so great. Thanks everyone!
LL

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:47pm
post #21 of 27

I think the suggestion to write "oil only" on the funnel would take of the confusion with the funnel.....it does resemble a martini glass (that's never bad icon_lol.gif ), but it would make the message a little clearer! Great job on your writing....love the shiny/oily look to it!

gateaux Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:29am
post #22 of 27

You did a great job, it looks really cool!

Good Luck on your next cake. thumbs_up.gif

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:52am
post #23 of 27

Just a quick tip. Not sure if it was mentioned or not!! An oil funnel is smaller on the bottom than on the top!! That may give it a funnel look, instead of a glass.

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:19am
post #24 of 27

BIG BIG Improvement with the Oil Can.

The splats of oil makes a big difference too!

Good Job... Pat yourself on the back! Very original idea and with the changes... it brings your idea to life without making a guy cake a "girly" cake!

Way to GO! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:24am
post #25 of 27

I like the oil can. Good job.

Aly24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aly24 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:40am
post #26 of 27

I agree! Bigger splashes of oil would be very cute, and the Oil Only sign would be helpful to distinguish what the funnel really is....

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:44am
post #27 of 27

Good job! I like the splats better since you redid them and adding the oil container on its side makes it much easier to understand what you're getting at with the funnel/writing.

I love the uniqueness of your design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%