Anyone Else Notice Crisco..

Decorating By SweetConfectionsChef Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 5:31pm by dryerson

tbelangee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbelangee Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:39pm
post #391 of 479

After reading this thread I decided to try some Alpine Hi-Ration shortning to make by daughter's wedding cake this summer. I found it on the Sugarcraft website, but the shipping said $26.00! Can that be right? Is there anywhere else to order it from?

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:07pm
post #392 of 479

I use the Walmart Great Value brand, and almost always have. So, just use the store brand and it will be fine. The world will not end! hehehe icon_lol.gif

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:44pm
post #393 of 479

Shoup-I just bought some Wal-Mart brand to try. It has to be easier than trying to work w/this new Crisco!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:54pm
post #394 of 479

I use the Walmart brand with no problems.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:07pm
post #395 of 479

I've tried the walmart brand and although I like the taste, my icing would not stick to my cake! It also had that "grainy" look to it.

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:56am
post #396 of 479

I had mine get grainy before but it was simply because I didn't cream the shortening and liquids well enough before adding the powdered sugar. I hope that will help you. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:48pm
post #397 of 479

Bottom line is that all of them will eventually have to go to no trans fat--then what?

I know nothing about the high ratio shortening. Does it have trans fat?

I also bought the Walmart brand but have not tried it yet.

Diane

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:55pm
post #398 of 479

Try a 1/2 Crisco 1/2 butter recipe. That's what I use and so far so good even with the no trans-fat Crisco. With a 2 lb bag of pwd sugar I only use about 2 Tbsp and 1 tsp of liquid plus 3 tsp of flavoring. That's what I used on the last wedding cake in my gallery and on the cupcakes I delivered this morning.

Debbie

maddyscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddyscreations Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:07am
post #399 of 479

I don't want to sound stupid but can someone tell me what is high ratio shortening and where do you purchase it?

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 15 May 2007 , 3:23pm
post #400 of 479

I think I may be able to shed some light on the Trans Fat Free Crisco and all the problems that everyone has been having. This happened purely by accident.....

I made a cake for tonight for my friend's dad - he is having his hip replaced tomorrow and they requested a butt cake! Anyway.....I procrastinated icon_surprised.gif and didn't make the frosting this weekend. I usually make one 3-cup batch of buttercream (all crisco) at a time in my 4.5 quart KA. I haven't experienced any of the problems with the new Crisco that everyone else has.

To save some time I decided to try making two batches of buttercream in my KA (I've never tried this before). So, I put in double the crisco, water, flavorings, and salt and set it on low to cream the shortening. While it creamed, I weighed out and sifted the powdered sugar. Once the crisco was creamy looking in the KA, I started adding the sugar, a little at a time (probably added 2lbs of PS in 6 or 7 intervals). After each addition I let it beat on 1 or 2 until creamy looking again. This is how I usually add my PS. The only thing I did differently was make two batches together.

I noticed after I was done making the BC that it was much thinner than it should have been for the amount of liquid I added. I also noticed that there appeared to be more air bubbles (sorta) than usual. The BC also seemed "fluffier" than usual too.

From the BC recipes I recall everyone posting, most people make a batch of BC that is more than 3 cups. It seems that most are for 6 cup batches. I think this is why everyone is having such a hard time with the new Crisco.

I would like to suggest that everyone who is having problems, go ahead and make a batch of BC, but cut your recipe in half - only make a 3 cup (or so) batch of BC. I think this may help.

Sorry this ended up so long, but I thought I had an epiphany last night when I realized all of this! icon_biggrin.gif

Let me know if this helps!

~Chelle

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:50pm
post #401 of 479

Nope, that doesn't affect mine either. I make 7 cups at a time, still NO issues with it what so ever. I don't get what the problems are, my icing is still the same as it was with the "old" crisco. No problems here.

chelleb1974 Posted 15 May 2007 , 5:05pm
post #402 of 479

Thanks Quadcrew for your experience with it. This is the first time I've experienced what I think is the problems everyone is having. I wasn't too concerned with it though, it was a cake for a friend, and I found I had an easier time smoothing the frosting!

I guess we'll never figure it out - just thought I could help someone!

~Chelle

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:00pm
post #403 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

I would like to suggest that everyone who is having problems, go ahead and make a batch of BC, but cut your recipe in half - only make a 3 cup (or so) batch of BC. I think this may help.

Sorry this ended up so long, but I thought I had an epiphany last night when I realized all of this! icon_biggrin.gif

Let me know if this helps!

~Chelle

The problem with making only a 3c. batch is that with wedding cake orders, we'll be there for WEEKS just making enough frosting to even crumb coat the cake... It goes back to Smuckers Corp. doing more product testing before changing their formulas... Glad you found a formula for icing that works for you though!

chelleb1974 Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:10pm
post #404 of 479

I didn't think of that Couture Cakes! Good point - it would take forever to make the frosting! I usually do birthday cakes and such....have only done one wedding cake and it was for a competition.

~Chelle

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:22pm
post #405 of 479

Here is the recipe I use with no problems.

Snow white buttercream

2/3 cup water
4 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
12 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1-1/4 cups shortening
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon No Color Almond Extract
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract

Directions
Combine water and meringue powder; whip at high speed until peaks form. Add 4 cups of sugar, one cup at a time, beating after each addition at low speed. Alternately add shortening and remainder of sugar. Add salt and flavorings; beat at low speed until smooth.
Recipe may be doubled or cut in half; however, if cut in half, yield is only 3-1/2 cups.

fat-sissy Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:33pm
post #406 of 479

Thanks for the recipe Quadcrew. Have you tried it using 1/2 butter in place of the Crisco? I like the taste of some butter in BC.

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 6:52pm
post #407 of 479

Nope, I don't vary the recipe, if I have someone who wants butter flavored frosting, I will substitute butter extract for the almond. People LOVE this recipe. It is very stable, and smooths out perfectly. (all the buttercream pics in my photos are made with this frosting - you can see I get it as smooth as fondant)

fat-sissy Posted 15 May 2007 , 7:34pm
post #408 of 479

Do you use your wisk attachment to mix the water and MP? Do you change to the paddle attachment for the remaining steps? Or just use the same attachment for the whole batch?

Loucinda Posted 15 May 2007 , 8:34pm
post #409 of 479

I just use the paddle one for the whole recipe. I whip the meringue powder on high, then lower it to no more than 2 for the rest of the recipe.

lionladydi Posted 17 May 2007 , 4:10pm
post #410 of 479

Quadcrew, I think the thing about your recipe that makes it work is the fact that you use meringue powder plus you are using less than half of the amount of Crisco that most decorators use. I have never used as much as the Wilton Recipe calls for. I always thought it made the roof of your mouth slick with grease. icon_lol.gif

I haven't used the new Crisco yet. Have an order for next weekend so we will see. I also bought some store brands to try.

Diane

CustomCakesBySharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CustomCakesBySharon Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 3:31pm
post #411 of 479

wow - sorry to hear that everyone is having such issues....luckily, i've always used generic all vegetable shortening....everyone always loves my BC and i've actually had some customers just order icing (no cake)

i heard that eventually, even the generics will go zero trans fat.....anyone else heard this?

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 11:48pm
post #412 of 479

Can anyone tell me...is high ratio shortening the same as shortening with trans fat in it?
Thanks!

lionladydi Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:34pm
post #413 of 479

If the government watchdogs that want to control every bite we put in our mouths have their way, the whole world will be free of trans fats. I have gone to the generic brands and given up on Crisco. That will be only a temporary answer to the problem, though.

Diane

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #414 of 479

I used the new Crisco by itself--no butter added and I will admit that it turned out ok. So it is the butter/Crisco combo that makes it turn out bad--it stilled looked greasy but it wasn't grainy looking, soft, or full of air bubbles. I am still worried about the heat and humidity...

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 7:52pm
post #415 of 479

I emailed them and they called me. They said have everyone contact them.
http://www.crisco.com/contactus.asp

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #416 of 479

Ok I am only about 8 pages in to this topic. WHEW....I have not had any trouble with the new crisco blue label with green ribbon that states 0 trans fats.

I have seen a few mention a can with a Green label. I noticed at our local Hy-Vee that they had a small green can but if I am not mistaken it was a new Olive Oil Crisco. I will double check when i go out to the post office this afternooon.

I hope you all find a solution to your troubles soon.

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 10:22pm
post #417 of 479

Does anyone who has had problems with the weepy frosting live near Crisco headquarters? If I did, I think I would make them a cake to show them how weepy it is and ask if they had paid good money for a very nicely decorated cake, would they want one delivered looking greasy like this one?
I bought the last 8 cans of the oringinal formula from my local store and will look at a couple others for more, then I will experiment with a different brand. I tried a store brand many many years ago and it tasted like grease to me where the original Crisco never did.
I hope they can reformulate it so it works for us.

lionladydi Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:31am
post #418 of 479

I made a wedding cake Thursday with the Walmart brand of shortening and it did fine. Everyone complimented me on the cake and icing. I was really worried about it as I had no old Crisco to use. My girlfriend has one 6 lb. can of the old and she is giving it to me. Perhaps I should put it under lock and key and only use it for special occasions. icon_lol.gif As I have said before, they will soon have the trans fats out of all shortening and then where will we be?

Diane

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:32am
post #419 of 479

HAH! it isn't just us ---

even Wilton had to adapt their recipes

(note the red message at bottom of page!)

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/snow.cfm

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/bcream.cfm

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 12:36am
post #420 of 479

Ha! Does it look like they reduced the amount of liquid?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%