Anyone Else Notice Crisco..

Decorating By SweetConfectionsChef Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 5:31pm by dryerson

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:22am
post #241 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eme

Cakepro....If you have not experienced the same results, may I ask what you do differently??

Here's my answer. icon_smile.gif http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2419111-.html#2419111

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:40am
post #242 of 479

About the more sugar added.....If we stop adding liquids and just use the corn syrup, couldn't we also decrease the powdered sugar itself?? I seemed to me that the culprit was the extra milk or water, so by eliminating that maybe we can play with the other stuff....I feel another lab in the kitchen coming on!! detective.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro.... You must have the magic touch, you and indydebi, cuz that (halved) is the exact recipe I was using before, complete with cornstarch icon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif .....altho' I do use 1/3 to 1/2 butter......now I'm wondering if the butter is not blending with the shortening ..... great, yet another idea to keep me up at nite....guess I will give that a go also.....

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:42am
post #243 of 479

When I do the half-butter, half-shortening recipe, I decrease the amount of water by 25% to compensate for the 16 - 18% water content in the butter. The amount of extracts stay the same. The temperature of the butter I use is 65 to 70 degrees F, and it blends just fine with this new Crisco, although it takes longer.

I don't understand how it is possible that my recipe would work for me and all of my cake students but not for others. That is really bizarre!

Just out of curiousity, are you weighing your ingredients or measuring volumetrically?

Good luck!

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:15pm
post #244 of 479

Eme, thanks for all of your research! I love it!!! thumbs_up.gif

You also gave me some advice on Saturday, when I delivered a wedding cake that had been made with the NEW Crisco. it was so bad-weeping, mushy, couldn't smooth without it peeling off-ugh! I ran to wal-mart and bought a can of crisco but it didn't have the green label but it did have 0 trans-fats-i used it for the wedding cake I did Saturday night-it was perfect-they have definitely did something with the green label crisco besides 0 trans-fats! I rushed out Sunday and bought all 10 cans of the "older" verson and my husband was stopping at stores while he was out working today to look for non-green labeled crisco! icon_biggrin.gif
When I run out of that then I will try your corn syrup idea with the new crisco! However, I am on the hunt today for "old" crisco-not really in my budget either and even more importantly-have no idea where I'm going to store so many cans of crisco!! lol

BTW-the girl called me the next morning on her way to her honeymoon cruise(lol) to tell me how wonderful that cake was and everyone loved it-made me feel better-but it was truly not an acceptable cake.

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:42pm
post #245 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Just out of curiousity, are you weighing your ingredients or measuring volumetrically?

Good luck!

For my frostings I have always measured by volume (and a little by 'eyeball') but I have gotten good enough that it always turns out. That is why it was so frustrating to have that batch go 'weird' on me!! And for a wedding cake no less!! icon_cry.gif When I experimented the other nite, I was very careful to fully measure everything (by volume) so I would have clean, exact measurements to post. When I next get a chance to experiment again, I am going to do your recipe (scaled down) by weight. I don't know.....its just frustrating to have something so important in the presentation begin to fail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauree

Eme, thanks for all of your research! I love it!!!

You also gave me some advice on Saturday, when I delivered a wedding cake that had been made with the NEW Crisco....

I rushed out Sunday and bought all 10 cans of the "older" verson and my husband was stopping at stores while he was out working today to look for non-green labeled crisco!......

When I run out of that then I will try your corn syrup idea with the new crisco! However, I am on the hunt today for "old" crisco-not really in my budget either and even more importantly-have no idea where I'm going to store so many cans of crisco!! lol

BTW-the girl called me the next morning on her way to her honeymoon cruise(lol) to tell me how wonderful that cake was and everyone loved it-made me feel better-but it was truly not an acceptable cake.

To everyone who has thanked me ... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif "aww ... shucks!" Thank you! I just love an excuse to play! icon_biggrin.gif

Lauree... I found the 6# cans of original, with transfats, crisco and have been buying them 4 cans at a time!! I'm going back this week! Totally understand about not really having the funds and storage!! Now have something like $80 invested in Crisco!! I must be nuts! icon_lol.gif

So glad I could help someone out! And glad your cake turned out okay!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:19pm
post #246 of 479

Hey guys! I have been super busy with The Crawfish Festival and haven't had much time to log on! WOW! There are really a lot of great ideas in this thread. I am sad to say though, that all of the frosted cupcakes I made for the festival had icing problems! My lemon cupcakes with raspberry filling and lemon buttercream lasted about 2 hours in the case. After the 2 hour mark the "swirls" of icing on top literally meshed together into a blob! icon_cry.gif So now I am worried about all of the cupcakes (400) I will be doing for a wedding in two weeks that will most certainly sit out for more than 2 hours! icon_cry.gif I added the cornstarch as I previously said I would and while it was pretty good using it...it didn't hold up. Just thought I would post the problem.

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:28pm
post #247 of 479

I sent an e-mail to crisco this morning describing in detail what my icing did and they called me at work just now-how nice was that!!!
She was really nice and wanted to let me know she was forwarding it to thel(oops, forgot the title) "branch manager" maybe. And that they appreciate the detail of what the icing is doing. That there have been MANY complaints and hopefully they will start working on correcting that really soon!

I thought that was really nice and a VERY fast response time-wasn't even expecting a response from a "live" person!

Crisco.com - I think the more people who send in their issues the more likely they'll do something! I'm hopeful anyway!

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:46pm
post #248 of 479

I am so happy I found one pound of "old" crisco today. Hooray!!!! Who knew one could get so excited over shortening!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:52pm
post #249 of 479

Gateaux, I was reading what you wrote about the sugar, and I have to say, it does scare me a bit. This whole crisco thing has really got me POed! I had to apologize for the quality of two of my cakes this weekend. The clients weren't disappointed, but once again as my own critic, they weren't up to my standards. I've....no we've worked so hard to get to where we are and now, oh sorry, that's bad for people so screw you we're changing things and you'll have to deal or don't do it anymore. Bottom line about all of this is....It isn't the sugar or the trans fats or the butter or the fried food or the fat on steak or any of that....IT'S THE AMOUNT!!! And until people learn that we can have these things, as long as we have them in moderation. But if you sit and eat an entire cake, it doesn't matter if it has no trans fats, no sugar, or whatever else is bad for you, anything in excess is bad. Sue McD's cuz the french fries are making me fat, no your making you fat because you eat supersized fries and hamburgers with 4 patties on them....bleck!!! I'm a big girl, I get it. I know what I should and shouldn't eat, and I still want those things I shouldn't have, but I've learned to opt for a small slice of cake instead of a hunk. Our grandparents cooked with animal fat and sugar without all of the artificial sweeteners and fat free crap, and they were okay....but they got off their butts and moved around and ate what they needed to survive, not to gorge! It all makes me crazy. Sorry.....I had to tangent there....

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:23pm
post #250 of 479

So I´ve read so many MORE of those horror stories regarding this new crisco formula, must of the stories are of cakes frosted in BC only, so here is my question.... has anybody had any problems with crisco based BC on a fondant covered cake?? Maybe the fondant sliding off or something?
Just curious...

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:37pm
post #251 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

So I´ve read so many MORE of those horror stories regarding this new crisco formula, must of the stories are of cakes frosted in BC only, so here is my question.... has anybody had any problems with crisco based BC on a fondant covered cake?? Maybe the fondant sliding off or something?
Just curious...

I have!!! The problem is that unlike the old Crisco, the new stuff doesn't harden up when chilled so when you go to put the fondant on top of the icing, it won't hold its shape. The half-butter, half-crisco doesn't get hard enough to stand up to the fondant smoothing like it used to. I use Albert Uster, so it's not a harder brand of fondant that I work with.

I also got my call from Crisco today and I think the poor gal is getting sick of answering all of these calls from decorators who have figured out that the problem is not with them, but with their CRISCO.. She just didn't sound too happy with me when she called.

Ugh... How do we explain to Crisco, that their CUSTOMERS really don't care if they're making it healthier... We also don't consume a whole tablespoon worth of crisco as a portion size.. I made a shrimp meal one night and out of curiosity measured where the oil was before and after I finished, and for enough food for two meals to feed DH, DD, and myself I used a whole two tablespoons... Then, when I figured out my cake portion size I was still at a tsp. and a half for a 1x3x5 portion of cake.. That's HALF of what they're saying is a portion..

Anyways, we make our livings off of product consistency, when we lose that, we're in trouble, and at least we're all finding out together that we aren't alone in needing a reasonable solution (which to me is change the portion size on the label, go back to your old formula, and let me have my frosting back)...

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:44pm
post #252 of 479

Can I cry too? icon_cry.gif The cakes I did for this weekend was a nightmare. I was forced to buy the stuff and was so mad. The frosting was full of air bubbles, it was soft despite adding more powdered sugar. It looked like it had a grainy texture when I tried to pipe it onto the cake and it looked all melted and greasy. I went to the website and filled out the survey and when they called it was "We got your e-mail, you are not alone, we are forwarding this complaint to our brand manager. Thank you." I am searching for some new "fat" for my goodies!

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:47pm
post #253 of 479

I read alot of arguments here saying why can't companies let us choose what we want to eat. The problem with trans fat is that it's metabolic poison. You should have zero grams of it a day! There is no "in moderation" for trans fats. Maybe they aren't saying that it's bad for you, maybe they are saying "we shouldn't be serving this in our food ever"
When companies put out products that end up being dangerous or hazardous, sometimes they are recalled. Perhaps this is Crisco's way of saying they aren't going to contribute to killing people. You know people sue for EVERYTHING nowdays.
This was just my two or three cents...

ErinOBrien Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinOBrien Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:31am
post #254 of 479

Oh God! I am terrible at making icing as it is! I don't need any complications!

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:09am
post #255 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxe42

I read alot of arguments here saying why can't companies let us choose what we want to eat. The problem with trans fat is that it's metabolic poison. You should have zero grams of it a day! There is no "in moderation" for trans fats. Maybe they aren't saying that it's bad for you, maybe they are saying "we shouldn't be serving this in our food ever"
When companies put out products that end up being dangerous or hazardous, sometimes they are recalled. Perhaps this is Crisco's way of saying they aren't going to contribute to killing people. You know people sue for EVERYTHING nowdays.
This was just my two or three cents...

Yes we do have to pay attention.... here is a link....
http://www.sharp.com/news/index.cfm?id=275

"trans fats are now being addressed by both the public and the government."

I think Crisco is trying to do the responsible thing with their product and they are certainly working to solve the problem of icing dilemas...hopefully their scientists will come up with an additive for the new shortening to make it workable. tapedshut.gif d'oh

CoutureCake Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #256 of 479

The argument of "they're doing the responsible thing" doesn't fly here... If we bakers and Crisco did a campaign "Forget Trans-fats: Get off your assets" would be a "responsible thing" and truth about the Nanny issues, but exercise as the solution to a lot of problems is NOT popular. It's not WHAT we eat that is killing people (unless you're drinking stuff that belongs under the sink or in a locked cabinet), it's that we aren't ACTIVE enough to consume huge quantities and the medical community is also at fault because they are not screening people that come in complaining of weight issues for several health issues/diagnosis' that have "FAT" as a SYMPTOM (cushings, diabetes, thyroid problems, depression, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and and and), they instead brush everyone off that says "I need help losing this ___ final pounds" and only say "eat less and exercise more, have a nice day! don't let the door hit you in the tapedshut.gif !", they don't say "cut trans-fats out of your diet and you'll lose that 100 pounds instantly", they kick your butt out the door for doing the responsible thing and "check with your doctor before starting a strenuous exercise program"..

If you want trans-fats gone, you're saying "NO" to butter, margarine, and lard, your saturated fat alternatives for the products we're making (that nasty thing called FROSTING icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif )... Yes, people are allergic to apples, corn, palm, coconut, and soybeans too so you can't use applesauce or others as the alternative to fat in every recipe. This IS about choice. None of my customers are knocking on my door demanding I bake a healthier cake. They KNOW cake isn't an everyday indulgence. If you want to market yourself as a "trans-fat free bakery", then FINE, do so, that's your own CHOICE as a business owner. Notice that no one really cares yet other than people like my "buy into every fad and health crazed diet of the day" mother-in-law without considering that the alternatives to Crisco are FAR worse in the long term. It's similar to when people had their eyes opened up that Organic doesn't equal healthy with the E. Coli in Lettuce & Spinach outbreak. I love the flakiness that lard gives to breads and pastries, but Crisco is still a lot healthier. People as a whole are not concerned because cake, donuts, brownies, cookies, are TREATS, not something they personally consume huge amounts of every day or every week.

The FDA did not distinguish between NATURALLY occurring Trans-fats and those artificially made. Our life spans are FAR FAR longer now than they were before the advent of Crisco and margarine for that matter. If it's not Crisco that they're jumping on, it's sugar, if it's not sugar, it's grain, if it's not grain, it's corn, if it's not corn, it's peanuts, or this, that, or the next thing. EVERYTHING including filtered water is bad for you in the wrong amount. You can kill yourself drinking water. We are all going to die at some point in life. It's about choice. People are responsible for their own choices, the worst is that this country has gotten into a slump where it doesn't want to hold people accountable. Crisco is finding itself accountable to a lot of bakers right now because of a choice THEY made, from those people called CUSTOMERS. If all of us bailed on Crisco, that's a LOT of product they aren't going to sell which means, hit them where it hurts, their wallet. I can hear the headline now "Smuckers Corp. lays off ____ workers today because of a slump in sales due to a change in their Crisco line of products"... Six Sigma I say!!!! (to those who changed our beloved Crisco without product testing on Frosting or polling their customers to find out what they REALLY use their Crisco for -- that's why the green cans had DUST on them)..

As another PP said, let's hope this dies its own natural death just like New Coke did... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:33am
post #257 of 479

Is it the lack of trans fat that has failed our icings or is it something else or even something in the process? If they had to change anything in the process couldn't that affect the texture of the product? Maybe they will have to come up with a solution other than bringing back the trans. If that's the case it will take awhile for something to be done.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:39am
post #258 of 479

I believe that trans fats and saturated fats are two different things. Saturated fats and cholesterol have about the same effect on the heart and body, which of course is bad. But to my knowledge, trans fats are much worse than both of those because they at least are natural fats. Trans fats are chemically (unnatural) stabilized fats to produce a longer shelf, correct? I think this is the difference, does anyone else know?

CoutureCake Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:46am
post #259 of 479

P.S. remember the Donald's line... "It's not Personal, it's Business"... When they tell each of us "we're looking into it" and "it wasn't tested on icing", "we're letting X person know about it", it means NOTHING. It's a feel good marketing maneuver to keep us buying a sub-par product change if only a little longer. It's college level marketing but it makes each of us feel good to get a call from the company because it makes them look like they're doing something. If they truly are trying to change their formula to get it to work, they would be asking a better group of questions. They aren't. They aren't asking "what brand of colorings do you use", "what recipe(s) are you using", "what are your observations of what is happening", etc. No, they're saying "we're looking into it"..

Nikki... I honestly believe it's something in the PROCESS, not the trans-fat part of things that they changed that is the problem. I have a relative who has her Ph.D. in Food Science and works for a national company as a food scientist (we've been her lab rat on more than one occasion only to find out about 6mo later what the product was).. The problem is that their (smuckers) research process was flawed and they missed a large population of their customers in the testing otherwise they would have known about this earlier before they released the change to the public at large. As for the other alternative product options, the problem is that the FDA didn't distinguish between the two (natural vs. artificial) trans-fats when they made their ruling. They had already ruled that "Saturated fats" are a no-no too..

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:24am
post #260 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

...and they missed a large population of their customers in the testing otherwise they would have known about this earlier before they released the change to the public .....

Whenever a company tries to claim "....our marketing research shows...." as a defense for why a product SHOULD be working (because we all must be too STUPID to know how great it is because their marketing researched SHOWED.........!), all you have to do is say two words......

New. Coke.

According to Coke, all of their marketing research showed this was going to be SUCH a big hit, they were confident enough to remove the tried and true from the market.

Well, we all know how THAT turned out! icon_twisted.gif

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:35am
post #261 of 479

Course 1 / Week 3 class -

I was nearly in tears tonight at cake class when I pulled the top of my perfectly smooth as glass BC frosted cake made with the NEW and IMPROVED Crisco. It was oozzing a sticky clear gunk! It was like my cake was crying with me!

I live in Houston and the weather is not humid at this time so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

To smooth it out, I used the warm water, dried off and damp blade method a friend of mine suggested. The warmth on the blade made the icing very smooth. I don't know.... maybe I used a damp blade more often than I thought instead of the dry warm blade.

Another girl in class made the same clown cake, but colored her icing red. She used the dried warm blade technique, but her icing had little white spots all over it when she showed up to class. It was like soap bubbles had popped all over her cake!

The jury is still out as to whether the problems were caused by the Crisco or Newbie errors.

Personally, I think it is more of the Crisco. Darn Air bubbles! I made icing all day on Sunday using different speeds and times to make my icing and it all came out with air bubbles as big as Dallas!

I heard there is a shortening on the market that professional bakers use, but it very expensive and hard to find and the instructor said she couldn't remember the name.

If I find out... I'll post it... I would rather pay a little more money for a shortening that will work and Crisco can kiss my business good bye!

I hate to sound like I am beating a dead horse... but this is darn right crazy!

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:41am
post #262 of 479

I was at Walmart today and they still have a generic brand which is Walmarts I guess it had 2.5 trans fat. I am still going to experiment with Crisco because I think it will all be banned soon. I did make a cake in January 2 tiered. I may have seen a little sagging the next day but very minimal. No one noticed it but me. Of course it was cold then. I do not know about hot weather. It is dry where I live in Idaho. The icing I made used whip cream. I will just take this a challenge and keep experimenting. Of course I do this as a hobby. But I do know I will go on and on about everything that is not right with a cake, and people look at me like what is wrong with you. It looks great. We are our own worst enemy. I do know this is a special issue though.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 6:26am
post #263 of 479

sarahnichole975 and CoutureCake thank you for your rants. I have been reading all kind of stuff and it really all comes down to personal decisions. Just like so many of us have been saying.
I ask people what they want and they choose the transfats. As long as we are responsible about how much we consume, then we are doing it right.
I read somewhere that we are (almost the whole planet) as a people addicted to sugar and if you go into communities that do not have sugar, they dont know what they are missing therefore they adjust and have better health. Well, I tried to cut out almost all sugar and it worked for about 6 months. I lost weight and I felt a lot better, but I still had those times when I just wanted a piece of bread or a chocolate or something sweet and a fruit any fruit can only go so far The diets with the good kind of carbs are mostly GF and your body does feel a lot better, but you can only eat so much gourds and yams and rice noodles.
We live in a time when we can almost get anything out there, maybe we are not ready, but how go you get the rabbit back into the hat or the cat back into the bag. It's out there and people want it. So until everyone decides they dont want it, we should still be able to make the bad stuff and enjoy it a little tiny piece at a time.
It's getting late, I have to prep for a chocolate demo for tomorrow. I better go.

Good Luck everyone, I hope we all find a happy solution somewhere out there.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:08am
post #264 of 479

How desperate I have become! I put out an email to friends and family that reach across the country, asking for the "old" crisco.

darylrc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darylrc Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:47am
post #265 of 479

I have not used crisco in years. I would work my self to death just opening the cans ( I use so much). We have a local food distributor who sells to the public. I buy a 50# box of baking and icing shortening for about $42.00 I use two to three of these a month. You actually save a lot of money and it is the same stuff the bakery uses. If takes less of this . I use 6 cups shortening 8# sugar 2 1/2 cups water and lots of flavoring.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 11:16am
post #266 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylrc

I have not used crisco in years. I would work my self to death just opening the cans ( I use so much). We have a local food distributor who sells to the public. I buy a 50# box of baking and icing shortening for about $42.00 I use two to three of these a month. You actually save a lot of money and it is the same stuff the bakery uses. If takes less of this . I use 6 cups shortening 8# sugar 2 1/2 cups water and lots of flavoring.

darylrc: do you know if this is a high ratio shortening and also, would it act the same, do you think, if milk was used in lieu of water? I like that it uses less fat and more liquid... probably makes it lighter over all..

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 11:24am
post #267 of 479

I sent e-mail to Crisco and they called me. The rep asked my a few questions, I expressed my thoughts/problems and she told me that they are flooded with complaints from "bakers". She didn't know what the outcome would be. But at least we're being heard.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:09pm
post #268 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysonja

Course 1 / Week 3 class -

I was nearly in tears tonight at cake class when I pulled the top of my perfectly smooth as glass BC frosted cake made with the NEW and IMPROVED Crisco. It was oozzing a sticky clear gunk! It was like my cake was crying with me!

I live in Houston and the weather is not humid at this time so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

To smooth it out, I used the warm water, dried off and damp blade method a friend of mine suggested. The warmth on the blade made the icing very smooth. I don't know.... maybe I used a damp blade more often than I thought instead of the dry warm blade.

Another girl in class made the same clown cake, but colored her icing red. She used the dried warm blade technique, but her icing had little white spots all over it when she showed up to class. It was like soap bubbles had popped all over her cake!

The jury is still out as to whether the problems were caused by the Crisco or Newbie errors.

Personally, I think it is more of the Crisco. Darn Air bubbles! I made icing all day on Sunday using different speeds and times to make my icing and it all came out with air bubbles as big as Dallas!

I heard there is a shortening on the market that professional bakers use, but it very expensive and hard to find and the instructor said she couldn't remember the name.

If I find out... I'll post it... I would rather pay a little more money for a shortening that will work and Crisco can kiss my business good bye!

I hate to sound like I am beating a dead horse... but this is darn right crazy!

The shortening I believe you are referring to is high-ratio. It is sold in this area (I'm in Houston) under the brands Alpine & Sweetex. The only place I have been able to find it is Dawn Foods. It isn't much more expensive but I don't like Dawn Foods and until last week refused to give them my business. Now I'm thinking twice....

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:25pm
post #269 of 479

just wondering has any one tried 1/2 store brand with TF and 1/2 new crisco to see if it may blance out ? I had frozzen a batch of icing made of the new crisco it didnt even get hard it had been in the frezzer a month the old would frezze this new just breaks down

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #270 of 479

In this whole transfat / crisco debate - does anyone else agree that icing and cake were never intended to be healthy? That dessert is called fruit. Healthy buttercream is an oxymoron, eliminating the transfats is nothing more than pandering and will do nothing in the longrun. We will later find that the substitutes are just as harmful as the original.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%