Anyone Else Notice Crisco..

Decorating By SweetConfectionsChef Updated 18 Feb 2013 , 5:31pm by dryerson

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:20pm
post #31 of 479

Experiment...I'd make a cake and put the BC, with one stick of butter added on it as usual ...and this will sound weird...run a hot shower and then put the cake in the BR, with the humidity and see what happens.
icon_smile.gif

I have a hard enough time smoothing BC..I don't need the extra added lack of moisture... icon_mad.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:24pm
post #32 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

What I have is in the blue can. I don't think I saw those little green cans that say "no trans fats" on them last time I bought Crisco. Don't know why they need them though, since there's no tf in the blue cans.

My student said she only found it at a specialty grocery store. I never saw it at any of the half-dozen grocery stores where I normally shop.

She brought me and the students in that course a 3-stick package of it, and nobody complained of any differences in their icing.

If all else fails, we can try lard or beef tallow. LOL (Joke!)

~ Sherri

Cakepro Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:24pm
post #33 of 479
Quote:

What I have is in the blue can. I don't think I saw those little green cans that say "no trans fats" on them last time I bought Crisco. Don't know why they need them though, since there's no tf in the blue cans.

My student said she only found it at a specialty grocery store. I never saw it at any of the half-dozen grocery stores where I normally shop.

She brought me and all the students in that course a 3-stick package of it, and nobody complained of any differences in their icing.

If all else fails, we can try lard or beef tallow. LOL (Joke!)

~ Sherri

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:28pm
post #34 of 479

I am so happy to read this thread and see that it's not just me.

I live in middle GA, so I always blame the humidity on every cake issue, but that was wearing thin in my mind with the "soft" icing.

I have a purse cake in the 'fridge now and I'm just hoping all the icing doesn't fall off before tomorrow when I need it.

I'm not having bubbles in mine, but it won't smooth easily and just plain slides down the sides of the cake.

I guess I'll go find some store brand shortening to use in place of crisco. My DH suggested I take several recipes and try small batches of each to see what works. I think he's just looking for a test cake icon_razz.gif but it's a good idea.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:34pm
post #35 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

Sorry I am ranting and this is a bit long....

Why can't "they" and "I MEAN THE BIG THEY" just let us choose if we want bad or baddest (is that even a word)!

Because, unfortunately, we DO need to be saved from ourselves. And it's not just US making the decisions for ourselves - because often, those decisions affect the entire nation. When we (as a nation) become obese, it taxes the system - and those of us who can make "wise" choices still end up paying for those who didn't - which isn't fair.

When the "Trans Fat" lobbyists become as powerful as those for tobacco, THEN you will get your old Crisco back. Until then, be grateful that you now have a healthier product to serve to your customers... and play around with it until you get the right consistency. As bakers, isn't that what we do? Decorate and OVERCOME?!? icon_wink.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:22pm
post #36 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

Quote:

Why can't "they" and "I MEAN THE BIG THEY" just let us choose if we want bad or baddest (is that even a word)!

Because, unfortunately, we DO need to be saved from ourselves.

Until then, be grateful that you now have a healthier product to serve to your customers... and play around with it until you get the right consistency. As bakers, isn't that what we do? Decorate and OVERCOME?!? icon_wink.gif

I agree 100% with gateau...and I don't think we need anybody-especially the big "THEY" doing us any favors thumbsdown.gif ...how many "FDA approved" meds have been yanked from the shelves recently?!? THEY think we need antibiotics and hormones in meat... icon_evil.gif
And, I don't think icing should necessarily be healthy icon_rolleyes.gif ...JMHO

Cakepro Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:23pm
post #37 of 479
Quote:

Quote:

Because, unfortunately, we DO need to be saved from ourselves.

Here come the politics of the matter.

With all due respect for your "government must save us from ourselves" view, I think it's ludicrous for anyone to expect anyone except OURSELVES to police what we put in our face.

You may support this mandatory governmental crap that some state and city goverments enacted (no trans fats in NY, no foie gras in Chicago), but it's a dangerous thing when you give up your control to those in office.

BrandisBaked Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #38 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

I agree 100% with gateau...and I don't think we need anybody-especially the big "THEY" doing us any favors thumbsdown.gif ...how many "FDA approved" meds have been yanked from the shelves recently?!? THEY think we need antibiotics and hormones in meat... icon_evil.gif
And, I don't think icing should necessarily be healthy icon_rolleyes.gif ...JMHO

You're right... let's just keep letting the big companies alter otherwise healthy products. Let's let them reformulate otherwise innocuous recipes to increase their profits and expand OUR "bottom lines". Do you have any ideas how these foods are processed? The chemicals used to turn one ingredient into another?

Your darn right the government has to step in when it sees a threat to the nation's health. Because (as I've said in other posts), we are a VERY litigious nation... and there are millions of people who'd rather blame their obesity and resultant health problems on the industry or the goverment - and not their own poor food/lifestyle choices.

Trans fat IS bad for us. Do a little research and maybe you'd be willing to sacrifice a little buttercream for a healthier nation. thumbs_up.gif

Brandi

p.s. You're right... the FDA does pull meds as well. If more research suggests that a food or drug does more harm than first though, it gets pulled. Same thing with Crisco. I don't see your point. icon_sad.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:51pm
post #39 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

With all due respect for your "government must save us from ourselves" view, I think it's ludicrous for anyone to expect anyone except OURSELVES to police what we put in our face.

I choose not to bury my head in the sand. Where do you draw the line? Do you condone drug use? After all, why should anyone get to say what another person ingests, right? Unfortunately, there is a ripple effect.

When the government doesn't step in, we assume things are safe. Besides, the federal goverment is not OUTLAWING trans fat usage... they are demanding proper labeling - identifying products with it. And they are trying to educate the public (just as they did with eggs/cholesterol). They are not taking our basic freedoms away - jeez.

I know of two people who have had gastric bypass surgery through the military (military wives), and got their "excess skin" removed at taxpayers' expense too. It happens all the time where WE pick up the bill for other peoples' poor choices. I'd prefer not to.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:51pm
post #40 of 479
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

You're right... let's just keep letting the big companies alter otherwise healthy products. Let's let them reformulate otherwise innocuous recipes to increase their profits and expand OUR "bottom lines". Do you have any ideas how these foods are processed? The chemicals used to turn one ingredient into another?

Your darn right the government has to step in when it sees a threat to the nation's health. Because (as I've said in other posts), we are a VERY litigious nation... and there are millions of people who'd rather blame their obesity and resultant health problems on the industry or the goverment - and not their own poor food/lifestyle choices.

Trans fat IS bad for us. Do a little research and maybe you'd be willing to sacrifice a little buttercream for a healthier nation. thumbs_up.gif

Brandi

p.s. You're right... the FDA does pull meds as well. If more research suggests that a food or drug does more harm than first though, it gets pulled. Same thing with Crisco. I don't see your point. icon_sad.gif

Not be to rude here brandisbaked...but don't come in here and wreck my topic! icon_mad.gif If you want to discuss the contraversy over the government regulating what we can and can not put in our food then you should start you own topic!

Please let's get back on track and figure out a way to help our bc!! I'm going to try a few different things today and I will post the results. I hope others will post any experimenting results as well. thumbs_up.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:59pm
post #41 of 479

So sorry... I didn't realize that threads were "owned" by the person who started it.

I'll be sure not to interject any independant opinion in anyone else's thread from now on.

Let me offer a solution to this all important "my icing is melting because those evil Crisco people changed their formula" problem...

Send them an e-mail. Ask them what may be causing this, and how to fix it. I'm sure their food scientists will know.

kjt Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:15pm
post #42 of 479

Not be to rude here brandisbaked...but don't come in here and wreck my topic! icon_mad.gifthumbs_up.gif[/quote]

icon_redface.gif I was off topic also-sorry for the rant
Kathy

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:38pm
post #43 of 479

You know, I said I wasn't trying to be rude. I am really looking for a solution to this problem. And, brandisbaked, you were turning this into something else that frankly I don't have time for! Why turn to such contraversy?

I own a business that requires about 10 cakes per week including weddings and the largest festival in my town is coming up next weekend...I'm looking for a way to make the best buttercream again on a 5 day notice! Of course I am turning to my CC family for help & ideas!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:43pm
post #44 of 479
Quote:

The Crisco I have doesn't say no trans fats on the front but does on the label. I've used two whole 3# cans and just started on the third. I don't notice any difference in taste or consitancy in the can but it does seem like it makes my icings a little softer. By that I mean the liquid I use initially for a dbl batch makes a medium consistancy rather than a stiff icing. But that's fine with me because I don't often need a very stiff icing. .

CarolAnn, your description describes my experience to a tee. I like it and would use nothing else. For me, there simply are no problems worth changing and having no trans fats is a good thing for my health! icon_lol.gif

I am wondering if adding 1/4 extra cup of crisco would solve the softness problem? Hmmmm, glad this thread was brought up because I want to continue making an excellent buttercream too! icon_biggrin.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:44pm
post #45 of 479

You may say you're not trying to be rude - but putting that little "qualifier" on there doesn't negate your obvious tone or intent.

That's like saying "Not to be rude, but you're really ugly!" Doesn't quite work.

Besides, if you'll read my original post, I simply responded to a comment someone ELSE made about the goverment, in an attempt to get them to look at the "bright side". If you "didn't want to be rude", perhaps you could have said so via PM.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #46 of 479

I had noticed a slight change in my buttercream but I think that it's for the better. Yes, I have more air bubbles but I always stir it with a spatula after my KA mixer now to eliminate the bubbles. In my opinion, it's the best of both worlds, tastier frosting and a little better for us!!

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:15pm
post #47 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:

The Crisco I have doesn't say no trans fats on the front but does on the label. I've used two whole 3# cans and just started on the third. I don't notice any difference in taste or consitancy in the can but it does seem like it makes my icings a little softer. By that I mean the liquid I use initially for a dbl batch makes a medium consistancy rather than a stiff icing. But that's fine with me because I don't often need a very stiff icing. .

CarolAnn, your description describes my experience to a tee. I like it and would use nothing else. For me, there simply are no problems worth changing and having no trans fats is a good thing for my health! icon_lol.gif

I am wondering if adding 1/4 extra cup of crisco would solve the softness problem? Hmmmm, glad this thread was brought up because I want to continue making an excellent buttercream too! icon_biggrin.gif

You know...I haven't tried adding extra crisco (hadn't even thought about that) only extra ps. That will be one of my experiments today. Thanks for the idea!! I've read several posts stating that meringue powder is an option to stablize...has anyone tried it with the 0 transfat? I've never even tried it with my bc. I just can't believe this formula change is causing such havic with my bc! The cakes I sent out yesterday were such a headache! I was at the shop until nearly midnight Friday fighting with this icing! icon_cry.gif

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm
post #48 of 479

Please tell me I'm not the only one NOT having a situation with the Crisco? I never use it in my cake or buttercream- ever. My icings turn out quite well and when I need to use shortening I've used the kind I stated in the previous post (on the 1st page).

That's my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

jendalain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jendalain Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:46pm
post #49 of 479

I thought it was just me!

I'm glad someone else mentioned this. I thought I had just bought a "bad" batch.

I've been making icing with just crisco and also 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter. I have to say, I like my recipe better than the full crisco. It is easier to work with and everyone loves the taste over the regular buttercream (without butter). icon_smile.gif

I will try a different brand though, just to see if the consistency changes.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 6:46pm
post #50 of 479

I wasn´t aware of this, I purchased some yesterday and it is the old regular crisco, no green label on front! I´m going back to the store and stock up!

Cakepro Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:19pm
post #51 of 479
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I choose not to bury my head in the sand. Where do you draw the line? Do you condone drug use? After all, why should anyone get to say what another person ingests, right? Unfortunately, there is a ripple effect.

I know of two people who have had gastric bypass surgery through the military (military wives), and got their "excess skin" removed at taxpayers' expense too. It happens all the time where WE pick up the bill for other peoples' poor choices. I'd prefer not to.

Come on now, drug use vs. food consumption is apples and oranges, and doesn't even warrant further comment.

The only other thing I'm going to say in response to your post to me is that I am more than happy that my tax dollars are paying for some military wives to improve their lives, health, and longevity with bariatric surgery and reconstructive surgery. God knows they and their husbands have sacrificed. Kudos to them for their success! thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. icon_smile.gif

Back to the issue of soft icing....has anyone tried cornstarch to correct the problem?

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #52 of 479

Ooooh soft icing.

I found a little helper that has cornstarch in it to stiffen up the frosting/icing.

New Jersey is humid ALL year round so any little cornstarch helps. icon_razz.gif

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:30pm
post #53 of 479
Quote:
Quote:

Hold up - first of all, it's TRICARE and it isn't FREE. It's insurance, and it's PAID FOR. As a military wife, I can do any danged thing I need that is covered under my insurance plan - just as I hope any of you in the private sector would do. Have I had bypass surgery? No, don't need It. Is it your business if I do? No. Once again, it's insurance and it's PAID FOR.

Secondly, it's CRISCO for crying out loud. It's cake, it's icing, it's a choice. If we really want the government to save us all, should we shut down all bakeries? Perish the thought.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:32pm
post #54 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

Quote:
Quote:

Hold up - first of all, it's TRICARE and it isn't FREE. It's insurance, and it's PAID FOR. As a military wife, I can do any danged thing I need that is covered under my insurance plan - just as I hope any of you in the private sector would do. Have I had bypass surgery? No, don't need It. Is it your business if I do? No. Once again, it's insurance and it's PAID FOR.

Secondly, it's CRISCO for crying out loud. It's cake, it's icing, it's a choice. If we really want the government to save us all, should we shut down all bakeries? Perish the thought.

AMEN LanaC!! I am a military wife as well and last time I check my DH LES, oh yes, you bet, we pay for our health insurance EVERY month, just like everyone else!!

Back to the Crisco.... you all were saying...

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:43pm
post #55 of 479

Being a novice decorator, I have enough stressors without my Crisco going on the attack! Went to the local big-box store; they had six large cans of the "old formula" left. Now they don't. icon_biggrin.gif

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:50pm
post #56 of 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Being a novice decorator, I have enough stressors without my Crisco going on the attack! Went to the local big-box store; they had six large cans of the "old formula" left. Now they don't. icon_biggrin.gif

Good for you! I was just thinking about running down and doing the same, then I realized that I've already suffered the "goopy icing syndrome" (was blaming it on the wx), so I'm sure they don't have any of the good stuff left.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:52pm
post #57 of 479

I just got back from my Kroger and although they had both blue labels of Crisco - with the no-trans-fat banner and without - neither of them listed any trans fats in the nutrition info on the back. I had thought the soft, globby icing was just a problem I was having, but I'm glad to see it isn't just me! For the first time about 10 days ago, I had icing actually slide off the side of a cake while it was being delivered and I was horrified. Last time I made icing, three days ago, I added a couple tablespoons of meringue powder to it and it did help, but it still took a long time to crust (at least it seemed like it did). I bought a can of Kroger brand shortening and will try that, but will continue to add the meringue powder just in case. I'll also try the cornstarch! Thanks!

Deanna

kjt Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 7:54pm
post #58 of 479

[ God knows they and their husbands have sacrificed. Kudos to them for their success! thumbs_up.gif [/quote]
usaribbon.gifthumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 8:06pm
post #59 of 479

Was trans-fats ever listed on the cans in the first place? I just don't remember ever noticing it before all this came up a while back. It seems to me like trans fats, at least public knowledge of them, is a fairly recent thing.
The Crisco cans I buy now are the same as I have ever bought.

Here's a question: how long do you blend your shortening and liquids before you start to add the sugars? I mix mine for for several min before adding the dry stuff. And if I add 1/2 butter I mix it even longer tomake sure it's all very very smoothe and there aren't any little bumps of anything left. I think that makes a huge difference.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 8:12pm
post #60 of 479

I don't think they ever shouted out the fact that they contained trans fats, but the ingredients would indicate that they were there. Has anyone done a new/old label comparison? Have to admit I was standing right there and didn't do it, and I'm a label-reader. Last stop, tired, hungry, ready for a nap--lots of excuses. Pick your favorite. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%