vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 35

Anyone have any ideas?

34 replies
KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 35

hmmm...lots of "hot" colors- "hot pink" "hot green", etc...big hair, power ties, New Coke, scrunchies, leggings, funky socks, lots of barrettes, those plastic circle things we used to tie our shirts on the side...
If you're doing it for a "child of the '80's" maybe it'd be easier to do a cartoon show from the '80's- so many of them have come back now, it'd be really easy to do. Or, you could do a show that hasn't come back yet but that everyone remembers- like HeMan, SheRa, or Jem! Sounds like fun! Let us know how everything comes out!

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 35

Big Hair Bands, Parachute pants, Def Leppard and their "Pour Some Sugar On Me!" comes to mind icon_biggrin.gif

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 35

who is the cake for? There are so many possibilities its great!! Kitty had some great ideas!! There are so many carttons like she mentioned and the chipmunks, smurfs, etc. And then there's the "Brat Pack" movies, leg warmers, ripped jeans, off the shoulder shirts, glam rock, duran duran, wham, and the electronic music like "tainted love", depeche mode, etc. What a great theme!! I might want that for my 30th birthday!! let us know what you go with and I would love to see pictures!!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 35

Is it for a guy or a girl?

I'm thinking for guy, an atari cake
For a girl, maybe a topsy turvy with different figures of popular toys from that era. You can also get some ideas from liketotally80s.com

mdutcher Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 35

Ooh, I've got more ideas:
magic 8 ball
rubix cube
tape player

Also, candy was big in the 80s. You could do a hodgepodge of different candies from the 80s: Candy Necklaces, Candy Cigarettes, , Bubblicious Gum, etc. There's a long list on the 80s site I listed previously

FYI, the only reason I know this is because next month is my 10 year wedding anniversary and we're having a Totally 80s party! I can't wait!!

vivedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vivedcreations Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 35

Thank you all for your ideas...keep them coming! The party is for a girl. A friend of a guy I work with...she'll be 25.

Blue0877 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 35

Those are great ideas mdutcher!! I will definitely have to check out that website too. And happy anniversary!!

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 35
BeckySue Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 35

Anyone remember jelly shoes??? LOL
or the "Franky says RELAX" shirts

pieface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieface Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 35

Turning 25/Female (i'm 26)....how about Rainbow Brite, Pound Puppies, Wonder Woman, She-Rah, Thunder Cats, or....ok..I have it..PUNKY BREWSTER!!
You can put all the loud funky colors on there and write "Punky Power" on it with different colors. I'm sure you could google it and find/copy the exact font and colors of the show! thumbs_up.gif

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 35

miami vice..the pink and teal, and the letter font...and some flamengos...

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 35

Two words - Leg Warmers!

kdkamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdkamp Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 35

How about pac man, jelly bracelets, madonna, miami vice, dynasty, dukes of hazzard, footloose, The swatch watch, guess - the list could go on.

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySue

Anyone remember jelly shoes??? LOL
or the "Franky says RELAX" shirts

Oh I remember those jelly shoes! I had several colors icon_lol.gif I went out with a guy that wore a shirt that converted to a camera case--seriously! It went "real nice" with his parachute pants. Those were the days...spiral perms, duran duran hair for the guys....and MULLETS! Can't forget those! I graduated highschool in 1985. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 35

I think if it's for a 25 year old, then she was a kid during that area, so definitely go w/ the "kid" stuff, not the sitcoms, or even the clothes.

Stick w/ 80's colors, cartoons, action figures, and games of that time period and your cake will be great!

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:02pm
post #17 of 35

Leg warmers, off the shoulder sweatshirts with tank tops underneath and who can forget FLASHDANCE. Terence Trent D'Arby and the song Wishing Well and the infamous Millie Vanillie Bros. Oh, I could go on and on. 1985 Grad, I am.

GOOD LUCK! icon_lol.gif

kdkamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdkamp Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 35

If you want kid stuff - there's The Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears, Wonder Woman, Alf, Beetlejuice, Donkey Kong, Duck Tales, Frogger, Garfield, Gummi Bears, My Little Pony, Pole Position, Pound Puppies, Q Bert, Teen Wolf, & Super Friends

liv6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liv6 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:36pm
post #19 of 35

wow this thread is bringing up memories of my childhood. Especially He-Man, She-ra and Jem & the Holagrams! Don't forget the A-Team though

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 35

Popples, the Monchichi's, paint-splatter jeans, cabbage patch kids, lunchboxes, Fraggle Rock, The Muppets, Garbage Pail Kids...

Think I'll go put my hair in a sideways ponytail and eat some pop-rocks now.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:46pm
post #21 of 35

I think I need to make an 80's cake now - these are awesome ideas!!!!

cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:52pm
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMom

Popples, the Monchichi's, paint-splatter jeans, cabbage patch kids, lunchboxes, Fraggle Rock, The Muppets, Garbage Pail Kids...

Think I'll go put my hair in a sideways ponytail and eat some pop-rocks now.

Ooh..ooh...ooh!!! Put poprocks all around the cake on the cake board!!! And maybe some candy necklaces...and the candy dots attached to the paper (you know- the ones where you wound up eating more paper than candy!!). I think an off the shoulder sweatshirt bust and somehow have a lacy half-gloved hand nearby gripping an Atari joystick?? Have fun!!

Sunflowerbagel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflowerbagel Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 5:58pm
post #23 of 35

I had an 80's party here 2 weeks ago, and after all my research I found out that Cookies n cream ice cream came out in the 80's. Therefore, I did an Oreo ice cream cake. It was a hit. There were gals reminiscing about working in their yogurt and ice cream shops doing SO many cookies n cream cakes in the late 80's.

I figured you had so many ideas about the design that I'd throw one in there for the actual cake....

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:03pm
post #24 of 35

if she's turning 25, then the oldest she was the last year of the 80's was 8! I'd stick with the cartoons....LOVE the smurfs!

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:25pm
post #25 of 35

OMG, this thread is totally bringing back memories of my childhood!! I loved the smurfes, cabbage patch kids, pac man, michael jackson, icon_redface.gif , prince, my little pink boom box, strawberry shortcake, the care bears, ET, those rubber bracelets, (like madonna) the movie, girls just wanna have fun, and back to the future.

I could go on and on. Now I want to have an 80's night just for the heck of it!! icon_lol.gif

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 6:25pm
post #26 of 35

Oh, and remember those banana clips?? icon_lol.gif

BeckySue Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:20pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, and remember those banana clips??

LOL do I ever!! I wore one in my hair every day to school!!
Anyone remember Max Headroom??

Blue0877 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:43pm
post #28 of 35

Max Headrom...lol...I haven't thought of that in years!! And banana clips...wow those used to give me such a headache!! lol

mdutcher Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #29 of 35

Giving her age, she will definately relate most to either the cartoons/toys or candy--many many candy options in the 80s!! Also, Balloons were totally "IN" during the 80s....something else to think about. icon_biggrin.gif

annieliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieliz Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 5:19am
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanzah67

Big Hair Bands, Parachute pants, Def Leppard and their "Pour Some Sugar On Me!" comes to mind icon_biggrin.gif

There you go!!! they rock they're my favorite lol. i saw the thread and immediately thought hair bands

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%