Does It Hurt?

Decorating By itsloops Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 9:36pm by springlakecake

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 42

To cut your cake? icon_surprised.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm no expert or professional but it hurts to see my cakes being "destroyed." icon_cry.gif

Does anyone else feel this way?

41 replies
heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 42

I feel and I think a lot of cake decorators agree that we make these cakes for people to enjoy visualy and with taste I know I want people to think its wonderful tasting as well as looking and usually by the time Im done with it its become a headache and im ready to get rid of it plus I have my pictures to reflect back on. but there has been the occasional cake I have to turn my head away when its being cut.

itsloops Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 42

My cakes are for friends and family and I'm there most of the time. I actually get queezy when it comes time to cut the cake. icon_surprised.gif

I almost cried for my daughter castle cake. icon_cry.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 42

I am just the opposite.......it disgusts me when I slave over a cake and then the people WON'T cut into and it ends up being admired for a few days and then chucked in the trash............I spend so much time, effort, and sometimes money making sure almost everything is edible and then they don't even want to cut it????? I could have just made the darn thing out of cardboard!!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 42

"It Only Hurts for a Little While"..... icon_lol.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 42

I have to agree w/ KHalstead. I made it to EAT, so PLEASE cut it. Take all the pictures you want (like I do), then cut it and eat it! Nothing would make me sadder than to see all that work go right in the trash because someone thought the cake was 'too pretty' to eat!! It's CAKE! icon_smile.gif

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 42

LOL. It doesn't hurt me, I find it fun!

But I've had similar experiences as KHalstead with an elmo cake I do. I've done it for 2 people now and both absolutely refuse to cut it!! One is still "alive" 1 month later, the other is sitting in an icebox as good as new for 1 week so far. It makes me laugh. I'm thinking of starting birthdays for the elmos to celebrate each month that passes without people eating or throwing them out! I mold him out of rice krispie squares so it doesn't matter much to me if it gets eaten or not!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 42

No, it doesn't bother me at all to see my cakes cut and served. I've certainly never thought of it as being destroyed. I make cakes for others to enjoy looking at then enjoy eating. If I'm there when it's served, and often I am, I cut and serve it myself. If someone knocked it over or threw it at someone that I'd consider destroying the cake. I like to see people taste and enjoy the cakes I put so much into. My cakes are delicious so it pleases me very much to see people enjoy them. I'm also usually ready to sit and have a piece myself.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 42

I have to agree with KHalstead and arosstx. But to each her own.....you're entitled to your own feelings.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 42

I had trouble with my first one, my mom's b-day cake, I didn't want to cut it so my brother took the knife and stabbed it right in the middle. After that first initial cut I was fine then I got to hear everyone rave over the flavor!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 42

I love seeing my cakes being devoured. I just want to have plenty of pictures first icon_smile.gif

Ali24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali24 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:56pm
post #12 of 42

I love it when my cake is cut. I want my cake to be enjoyed by everyone. After working so hard on it I want people to eat it, not throw it in the trash. It makes me sad when I'm passing out slices and people pass it up. You know the ones that don't eat sweets.......What is wrong with those people? icon_smile.gif

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 42

I understand what itsloops it saying. It's like you put all this effort into it, you just hate to see it be gone. But I agree with the others too in that you want people to enjoy it and eat it. So, it's a double edged sword!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 42

Not at all! It is the best part to see the look on people's faces that it was real cake!

daisyblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyblue Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:05pm
post #15 of 42

I love it when people cut & serve the cakes I make. It's edible art!!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:05pm
post #16 of 42

I usually don't cut my cakes. I will make them, but someone else usually cuts them. I don't like that part.

Stephanie

itsloops Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 42

Don't get me wrong, i want people to eat it. It's just that sometimes I think about all the labor hours that was put into it and it takes 2 minutes to cut. icon_cry.gif

I really do enjoy when people tell me that my cake is delicious especially when they ask for 2nds. It tell me not only that it was a nice looking cake but it also tasted great. icon_lol.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:18pm
post #18 of 42

I have not made a cake yet that I was sad to see cut into, it may happen, I'll let you know.
I say, we make cake to be eaten, of course we take pictures and that is what we keep.

I say "Let them have cake", I have a picture "cut the cake, cut it now!".

In Jan. I sent a cake to work with my DH and he said no-one cut it for a long time. He ended up coming home with 1/2 of it. I sent him with another cake this week and I said. put it down and cut yourself a piece. There was no leftover! Yipee!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 42

It's CAKE! It's SUGAR! DIG IN! LOL

Beth in KY

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 11:57pm
post #20 of 42

I have only had a few so far that I was glad I wasn't there to see the first cut made.

I don't know about you guys but am I the only one that doesn't actually like to be around when people are eating a cake you made? Don't get me wrong, I love for people to enjoy what I have made but sometimes I get a bit embarassed with people coming up to me!! I don't like a lot of attention though!!

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:09am
post #21 of 42

I enjoy watching people enjoy my cakes. I love that they complement it and say that they dont want to cut it because it is so beautiful and I love to see them eat it and enjoy it. I just dont like being the one to cut the cake because after I have spent all that time with that cake I dont want to get stuck serving it to everyone.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:09am
post #22 of 42

of the -- cut it already! I want a piece!!! -- crowd.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:45am
post #23 of 42

I always end up getting roped into cutting and serving the cake because no one wants to cut into them "cause they're too pretty". Puh-leez, it's meant to be EATEN, and I promise you it tastes even better than it looks!

Now people want me to cut and serve the cake even if it's from the store, "because they don't know how". That one ALWAYS throws me, especially when it's just a sheet cake!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:53am
post #24 of 42

I always cringe when I cut into one of my cakes. When I made the cake for my best friend's bridal shower, I actually cried and couldn't do it. I think it was more because of the sentimental value than because of the cake itself though.

After the first piece is cut out though, hey...dig in man! icon_lol.gif

iamme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamme Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:40am
post #25 of 42

i usually dont want to see my cakes cut into either. i enjoy eating them and having everyone else eat them, but if i put alot of time into it i almost hate to see it go (but i love to wolf it down!) lol

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:52am
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

"It Only Hurts for a Little While"..... icon_lol.gif

I am rolling laughing at this!

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take pics of my cakes. That way they can be enjoyed and I still have a pic to look back on. Not that I have done that many....but... I feel like my skills are a work in progress! icon_biggrin.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:59am
post #27 of 42

As the song goes .....'The first cut is the deepest' icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif after that go for it!!!!

Also it's funny how the phrase 'It's only cake' gets used depending on the sitation -
- Something people would say to the baker/decorator when they don't understand how much work is involved.

- Something the baker/decorator would say when people won't cut the cake!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

wyatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyatt Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 4:09am
post #28 of 42

No, doesn't hurt me any. It's a good thing to cut and serve my creations because then I hear a second round of accolades, this time on how GOOD it tastes! icon_biggrin.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 4:13am
post #29 of 42

I can't tell you how many times people refused to cut the cake. (they still have that goofy fish bowl cookie bouquet in an office on "display") I even threatened them w/ no more for you if you don't eat it! 2 weeks later, still there. Earlier today I reached in for a few jelly beans. It doesn't hurt not one bit for a cake to be demolished. If they won't cut it, I will. Took a while to get to this point, but after so many hours of looking at it, I want it gone! I still don't know how it takes me so long to make something, that's the only painful thing.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 4:19am
post #30 of 42

It's cake. I love cake. I started decorating because I loved eating.

I take pictures, get a good shot, and dig in! They're delicious. Why let that go to waste?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%