Gelatin Flowers

Decorating By bush1 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 12:15am by ncaggie68

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 40

I was reading a thread last night about classes being offered in Michigan. One of the cc members was trying to get advice on which classes to take. One of those classes was for gelatin flowers so I did an internet search and was able to find out a little more about them. Of course, I decided to try it first thing this morning. Wanted to share the final result. They are not perfect but I think pretty good for a first try.
LL

39 replies
sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 40

I love it, where did you find the instructions ?

BakerBea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBea Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 40

bumping

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 40

WOW , this is really pretty, how is it madeicon_smile.gif

bush1 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 40

O.K. please be patient with me in explaining this:

Things needed:

Needle nose pliers
24 guage wire
unflavored gelatin
color of choice
glass bowls
styrofoam to rest the petals on

You can modify the following amounts based on the flowers you will be making. To make the above flower, mix 1 part gelatin to 3 parts water. I used 2 teaspoons gelatin and 6 teaspoons water for each individual color. Place the mixture in the microwave for about 13 seconds. Remove, add color and stir slowly so that you can reduce the air bubbles. You will pretty much have to use your judgment as to when the mixture is the right consistency. I waited about 4 minutes before I attempted to place the formed petals in the mixture one at a time. I played with the wire to get the petals that you see in the pic. this should be done ahead of time. Put your petal flat in the mixture(have enough of a stem to hold onto) and move it around in the mixture. I held the petal with my right hand while slowly turning the bowl and pulling the petal up at the same time. It took many tries before I was able to get the first petal to come out of the mixture complete.

As you do this, the mixture will get thicker and probably require you to microwave it again. Just keep moving the bowl while you hold the stem and slowly pull up. Put the petal in a styrofoam circle or block and let it sit for a few minutes. It will set very quickly. Once you have a full set, get another piece of wire to form your flower.

I hope this helps.

vpaz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpaz24 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 40

I found this link. It's pretty much exactly what bush1 describes to do.

http://www.frostatiers.com/demo2005Feb.htm

bush1 Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 40

Thanks for finding the link. I couldn't find it. It does not tell you to let the gelatin sit before attempting to form your flowers. I didn't at first but it is necessary to let it get to the right consistency.

dlp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlp Posted 26 Mar 2006 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 40

cool idea!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 2:49am
post #9 of 40

Where in MI is the class?
Cool flowers!
I"m real interested in learning this!

bush1 Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:44am
post #10 of 40

Go to sugarartworkshops.com and it will tell you about the classes. I posted a new pic in the gallery but I guess I should post it here too.
LL

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 5:45am
post #11 of 40

thats great i love this site

eema2four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eema2four Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 6:01am
post #12 of 40

Ladies, your flowers are lovely, but I think that you should check out

http://www.gelartfloral.com/courses.html

I think it's what was being referred to earlier! icon_wink.gif

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 11:19am
post #13 of 40

these look excellent. l love the way you can still bend them once they are set icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 4:01pm
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush1

I was reading a thread last night about classes being offered in Michigan. One of the cc members was trying to get advice on which classes to take. One of those classes was for gelatin flowers so I did an internet search and was able to find out a little more about them. Of course, I decided to try it first thing this morning. Wanted to share the final result. They are not perfect but I think pretty good for a first try.

Wow, that's beautiful! Very etherial.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 40

eema2four..........are those things edible??? Like jello molds??? Do you have any idea what the flowers are made from???

KHalstead Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:37pm
post #16 of 40

hey bush1 thanks for the link, I gave it a shot as well.......here are ones I did just messing around to see if I could actually get them to work. They were surprisingly not very difficult to do. icon_lol.gif
LL
LL

Cakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:51pm
post #17 of 40

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif WOW!! KHalstead, those are gorgeous!!! I can't believe you just whipped those up. You are talented! thumbs_up.gif

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:51pm
post #18 of 40

Wow!! Those are really beautiful KHalstead!! I guess I know what my next venture will be!! This one looks like it won't cost as much as some of the others. YAY!! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 3 May 2006 , 6:13pm
post #19 of 40

nope......cost me under a dollar and I only used half the pack of gelatin LOL Very cheap!!! Takes a little bit of patience but really is VERY simple!!

bush1 Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:39am
post #20 of 40

KHalstead, your flowers are great. Like I told you, it just takes a little bit of patience to get the hang of it. I haven't made any in a while but I think I want to make some for a dummy cake soon. You should be proud!!!!!!!

FLOWERGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLOWERGEL Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:13am
post #21 of 40

hello everyone here

this is more on gelatin flowers on wire also i would like for u to see the flowers i do with gelatin this is all with the same gelatin art

http://www.gelartfloral.com/recetas2/Flores.htm

http://www.gelartfloral.com/recetas2/Fondant.htm

hope u enjoy

KHalstead Posted 4 May 2006 , 8:17pm
post #22 of 40

flowergel.......those are gorgeous........I love the way you used them I have yet to see them on a cake....boy do they really look nice on one!!! I LOVE the candle too.......awesome idea. I love these flowers they look so much like glass or like sugar art which I wish I could do (have never tried) but this whole cake hobby is expensive enough, I can't imagine what it costs to blow and pulll sugar LOL

bush1 Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:28pm
post #23 of 40

Your flowers are gorgeous and they look great the way you have them setup. Khalstead I bought a video on pulled sugar that I haven't watched yet. maybe I can get the hang of it and pass the info. along.

FLOWERGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLOWERGEL Posted 5 May 2006 , 4:07am
post #24 of 40

hi everyone here
my mistake ladies yes i know how to do the gelatin flower with wire but i meant in my photos i do gelatin flower all with gelatin
no sugar

sorry for the mistake but i hope u enjoy my photos

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:43pm
post #25 of 40

I want to make some of these this week end....

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #26 of 40

these look very interesting. i tried to go to the links you posted but they won't come up. something about the url not being right or something. i remember when i was young doing this with some type plastic. dipping the wire in the plastic stuff and letting it set up. you can make some really great poinsettias this way. i may have to give this a try. all the flowers you guys have made are beautiful. keep up the good work.......

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:01pm
post #27 of 40

I would like to know if these flower petals, once they have set, are fragile to work with? They seem so delicate icon_eek.gif yet SO beautiful icon_biggrin.gif

bush1 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:22pm
post #28 of 40

Once the petals are dry they are pretty easy to work with. I made some a couple of years ago and they still look the same as they did when I originally made them. The only thing that could happen is that the petal will pull away from the wires but you just have to kind of keep your fingers away from the actual gelatin.

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #29 of 40

Thanks for responding so quickly and thanks for the input. I am curious about these flowers and think I am going to try them this weekend! I just happen to have a box of plain gelatin laying around icon_biggrin.gif

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:58pm
post #30 of 40

Oh wow!! I just stumbled across this post.. the flowers are gorgeous!!! i wanna try these as well but could i just ask.. do i have to dip the petals in the gelatine individually? If so.. how do you later assemble all the petals together to form the flower especially since bush1 mentioned that we can't touch the actual gelatine after it's dry right? So if that's the case i'm just wondering how are you going to shape the individual petals after you combine the petals into a flower? :p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%