Sugar Beer Bottles

Sugar Work By SweetResults Updated 17 Jun 2014 , 1:29pm by Cakesnpops

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #301 of 344

Hi was just wondering what is underneath the mold as your pouring the sugar in just in case some leaks out?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:10pm
post #302 of 344

I make a clay mold that the latex mold can rest in. Slightly tilted up so the liquid sugar doesn't run out. Before the clay is dry, lay your bottle in it to make an impression of it so it fits just right when making your sugar bottle.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:41pm
post #303 of 344

I just place the mold upside down in a tall cup after the sugar has cooled and dried sufficiently. I leave it there until it has cooled down completely.

nemmie56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nemmie56 Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #304 of 344

I used a tall cylinder or jug. Put the latex mold in it then poured corn meal around it ti hole the mold. Let the sugar cool a few minutes then poured it in the mold and turned until it was coated all around

LmLM4L Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LmLM4L Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:26am
post #305 of 344

I know this is an oolllllddd post but I'm currently working on making one of these molds with the tub of liquid latex. Everyone says "10-15 layers" but it seems so thin and "layers" is subjective to the person applying them. Approximately how much of the tub did you end up using on the mold? Half? The whole thing?

aimlyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimlyles Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:36am
post #306 of 344

I just used the whole tub, I figured more would be better than not enough icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:58pm
post #307 of 344

Use what you think looks and feel very sturdy, keep in mind there is hot liquid going in there, I used 3/4 of the tub, and still did not use the mold, I ended up purchasing the materials from make your own molds, because theirs is food grade.

Kenikenmaui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenikenmaui Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 9:54pm
post #308 of 344

Thanks for the info, can't wait to try.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:23am
post #309 of 344

Now I have an excuse to try this -- a beer cooler with beer bottles cake coming up. Thanks again for all the help!! icon_biggrin.gif

Angel-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel-Cakes Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 7:54pm
post #310 of 344

So.. I attempted to make my mold last night and got it, but I think I used too much molding putty (I used Amazing Mold Putty) because I had to actually cut the mold from the bottle because it was so thick.

Now when I pulled the bottle from the mold it was matte and not a glossy looking bottle so it looked funky... is it the mold or did I cook the sugar too long ? Any tips ?

Thanks.

GrandmaG Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 8:59pm
post #311 of 344

I don't think you waited long enough for your mold to dry. It took mine about 3 days to get the final coats on and dry all the way. Your sugar should be glossy.

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:37pm
post #312 of 344

Mold works great, sugar works great ... but the bottles come out sticky. What do you think is the issue or solution?

GrandmaG Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:40pm
post #313 of 344

They will be a little bit. Especially if it's humid in your area. Maybe stick it in the fridge for awhile.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 9:51am
post #314 of 344

I know this is an old thread, but quick question. Has anyone had good luck making clear ice?? if so, can you please share recipe icon_smile.gif
Thank you!

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 8:25pm
post #315 of 344

After just reading all 21 pages of this post, looks like you need to buy isomalt to get clear ice. However, I used 1/2 cup clear corn syrup and 1/2 cup sugar and heated a couple minutes in the microwave-just watch it to make sure it doesn't turn yellow. Then pour it on some non stick, crinkled up foil. It won't be absolutely clear, but good enough if you can't get isomalt. I'm working on my bottles right now : )

Rosie2 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:45am
post #316 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmetz

After just reading all 21 pages of this post, looks like you need to buy to get clear ice. However, I used 1/2 cup clear corn syrup and 1/2 cup sugar and heated a couple minutes in the microwave-just watch it to make sure it doesn't turn yellow. Then pour it on some non stick, crinkled up foil. It won't be absolutely clear, but good enough if you can't get . I'm working on my bottles right now : )

Thank you!! I will try the sugar and corn syrup...how many minutes did you heated in the microwave??

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 11:24am
post #317 of 344

2 minutes on high in a glass container.

Rosie2 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 11:20pm
post #318 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmetz

2 minutes on high in a glass container.

Thank you !!!

SweetBakings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBakings Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 1:08pm
post #319 of 344

AHi , thanks for the info! Just a quick question do u fill the molds with the sugar mixture all the way to the top ? Or are the sugar bottles hallow?

alittlesliceofhaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alittlesliceofhaven Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 7:07am
post #320 of 344

Just curious for those that used the Mold Builder - why so you empty the bottle out and then cork it?  If you kept the original cap on, then you wouldn't have to make a new one out of fondant. 

I just tried to make the mold out of Amazing Mold Putty - it is in a 2/3 lb. box.  Not knowing how much I would need and you have to work FAST (less than 5 minutes total), I used the entire package for both compounds.  I was disappointed that it did not cover the entire bottle (minus the underneath part of the bottom).  I kept the original cap on the bottle (filled with beer).  As I smoothed the product over the bottle, It kept tearing at the top and neck.  If there is a next time, I would use one and a half packages of this product.  I did cut it because it is not as flexible as the Mold Builder appears to be.  I'm hoping when I pour sugar it will be a process more like makeyourownmold's and I won't have to spin it while pouring. 

Hopefully tomorrow when I pour the sugar it will look better.  I wish I had had ample time to order makemyownmolds kit.  It would have been worth the money for not second guessing everything.

CC - how far back can we access links?  This thread started in 2007 and any link related to CC through 2010 doesn't work :( 

Thank you all for the wonderful information. 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 7:22am
post #321 of 344

Thanks for sharing this.  makeyourownmoulds.com also seems to have most of the stuff needed.

rheakirstienne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rheakirstienne Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:45am
post #322 of 344

ASorry, im having trouble understanding. How do tou mold off the latex from the bottle? Does it come off as one whole bottle?

pghritchie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pghritchie Posted 16 May 2013 , 2:54pm
post #323 of 344

Rub the outside of the latex with cornstarch then peel upward from the bottom of the bottle.  If you don't use the cornstarch, your mold will stick to itself.  Then make sure to cornstarch the mold inside and out every time you use it.

Here is my latest...

wangll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wangll Posted 18 May 2013 , 8:36am
post #324 of 344

Just curious for those that used the Mold Builder - why so you empty the bottle out and then cork it?  If you kept the original cap on, then you wouldn't have to make a new one out of fondant.http://www.topdiablo3.com/    
http://www.okdiablo3.com/
http://www.okdofus.fr/        

candyd64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyd64 Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 7:13am
post #325 of 344

This is an old post but I need help my cake is due Nov 2,2013! Saturday.

I made my molds and they are thick and sturdy.... I'm using regular sugar with Karo, just like instructed to do.... I'm turning the bottle.... looks good. When I unmold the sugar bottle, it cracks..... I have tried this 7 times and have only got one bottle removed successfully..... PLEASE help!!!

pghritchie Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 10:42am
post #326 of 344

Relax....you just need to rub the inside and outside of your mold with cornstarch BEFORE you use it.  The cornstarch will help it release without cracking.  If it still cracks and it is not sticking to your mold, then you just have a little too much sugar in your mixture or you are cooking it a little bit too long.  Watch your thermometer and remove from heat AS SOON AS it reaches the "hard crack" stage at 295 degrees.  Hope this helps.  If you need anything else, you can email me at [email protected].  I will get back to you much quicker that way.

candyd64 Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 3:20pm
post #327 of 344

THANK YOU....

I will give it try and let you know.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 3:26pm
post #328 of 344

It might also be that your bottle isn't thick enough. Make sure you are rolling the bottle mold as you slowly pour out the sugar mixture so enough of it stays stuck to the mold to form a thick bottle. Just my thoughts, best of luck. They are fun to make

candyd64 Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 10:59pm
post #329 of 344

Pghritchie:

It worked!!!! .... thank you so much! The cornstarch is genius the mold came right off.... I am 2 for 2 right now, making another pair for back ups.

I also switched to dark karo (making beer bottles) and i think my microwave cooks really too hot.... So i just cooked the sugar on my stove. They are perfect! I am new to this forum thing, so when I learn how to post pictures I will post this cake.

Again thanks

Candy

pghritchie Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 1:27pm
post #330 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyd64 

Pghritchie:

It worked!!!! .... thank you so much! The cornstarch is genius the mold came right off.... I am 2 for 2 right now, making another pair for back ups.

I also switched to dark karo (making beer bottles) and i think my microwave cooks really too hot.... So i just cooked the sugar on my stove. They are perfect! I am new to this forum thing, so when I learn how to post pictures I will post this cake.

Again thanks

Candy

Excellent!  So glad it worked for you!  Once you get the hang of it, you can pop them out one after the other with no problems!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%