Sugar Beer Bottles

Sugar Work By SweetResults Updated 17 Jun 2014 , 1:29pm by Cakesnpops

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 23 Jul 2007 , 3:56pm
post #91 of 344

For those of you that have sold these bottles... what are you charging? I'm getting $25 per bottle. I think that I may charge $35 for the 2-toned ones. I'm not sure if it is worth it except that it is fun. It takes me many hours and lots of bottles to get it right. I guess practice will help.

So anyway...what do you charge?

APieceofCake75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APieceofCake75 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 12:21am
post #92 of 344

I haven't sold any yet. First beer bottle cake. Making this one for family. What should I charge for 3 bottles and cake shaped like a bucket? Someone will ask at the party. I've never done sugar work before. I talked to the people at culinart. They recommended the silicone spread. Should have it by Friday. I'll let you know how it works.

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 1:24am
post #93 of 344

Since we are discussing the beer bottles again, I have a question about the ice. I posted in the sugar art section but no response, so maybe I can get an answer here. I am trying to make the ice using 1/2 sugar and 1/2 corn syrup but when I cook it it turns too brown for ice. I tried cooking it for a shorter time but then it is only soft and stretchy. I also tried another recipe from here which is 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup, and 1 tbsp water. Same results. Can someone help me to get clear ice.

Thanks a million,
Cynita

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 4:50am
post #94 of 344

I've never tried to make "ice", but maybe you could use the white food coloring and say it's frosted ice? I bought mine at Hobby Lobby, it's in the same aisle as the cake decorating stuff, but usually hanging next to the Lorann oils.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. I wish you the best of luck.

Holly

Jenn123 Posted 26 Jul 2007 , 5:34am
post #95 of 344

I made the clear bottle without much trouble. I think you just have to catch it at exactly the right time. I used clear gelatin for my ice with half (or less) or the water.

APieceofCake75: I would charge $150 at least... but that depends on the size cake you are making too.

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 28 Jul 2007 , 2:32pm
post #96 of 344

I might be missing posts, but I am surprised I am not seeing anyone mention Isomalt as an option to getting their bottles clear. You can cook it to a higher temp, which helps it set harder, and it doesn't turn yellow. Watch out for alot of those molding compounds - they aren't food safe unless they specify to be food safe. That means toxic. icon_eek.gif

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:11pm
post #97 of 344

Thanks so much for all the postings. I am trying this out next week so wish me luck.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 4:19pm
post #98 of 344

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but I'm anxious to try making a sugar beer bottle. Thanks for all the info and I hope y'all don't mind if I start asking questions on the process! icon_smile.gif

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 5:45pm
post #99 of 344

I did make the beer bottle cake, unfortunately my cake was a disaster but making the bottles were much easier than I imagined. I followed Sweet Results instructions exactly and my bottles came out pretty good. Making the mold using latex rubber was not hard at all. When it cured, I just rolled it off of the bottle with no problem. Also, once the hard candy harden inside of the mold I just rolled it off as well. The mold will be inside out but I just rolled it back to the right side with the help of a large spoon. I made 5 bottles in one day using the same mold. It was pretty easy and fun.

Cynita

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 1:26pm
post #100 of 344

SweetResults,

any pics??
i'm kinda confused about a few things, a bit silly i know. anyways, when you make the second mold 1/2 bottle... are you doing the 1/2 bottle bottom to top of the same way you did the one for the mold?

Jenn - Can you explain the process of how you got the look of the bottle being full? w/the clear to? this is what i want to try.
Do you think if you pour in clear then make more mix to put the yellow, will it crack once it's all done? since the clear part will dry up first.

thanks!
Kat

Jenn123 Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 2:13pm
post #101 of 344

You put in the clear (solid) and let it cool completely. Mix up the next color and then coat the insides of the rest of the mold (hollow). It won't crack.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 16 Aug 2007 , 5:45pm
post #102 of 344

Jenn - i'm gonna have to call you when i start making these!!
I love the lemon in the beer look. how'd you do that?! OMG i can fool my sisters FIL in the party. jaja.
I have everything i need at home to make them. i've been a little scare to do them. i bought gloves that Lowes sells, but i think my nephew took them by mistake. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif They have rubber in the palm side of the glove, you think that will be ok to handle the sugar?

Jenn123 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 12:29am
post #103 of 344

The inside of the bottle is hollow. I just made a yellow slice of fondant with a green skin and "poked" it up in the neck from the bottom.

I don't know if explained about the clear very well. It only goes in the neck. If you dribble some elsewhere by mistake, it won't matter.

Gloves...I just used a pair of dressy suede gloves that I hate. Anything that will protect you from the heat will work.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:45pm
post #104 of 344

Thanks to everyone in this thread that has offered there wisdom ... but I still have a couple of questions now that I am making them (right now) and keep in mind that I have zero sugar work experience.

I cooked the sugar/corn syrup solution for the amount of time that sweetresults said, the colour didn't change to golden - granted I started with clear corn syrup. So ... how long do you have to cook sugar to make it turn golden or when do you add colouring?

Thanks!

Jenn123 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #105 of 344

It really depends on your microwave. Cook it more and realize that it will keep getting a little darker after you stop cooking.

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:45am
post #106 of 344

Just wondering if anyone has used this for a full size wine bottle yet and does it work the same way.

crumbscakeartistry Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 4:29am
post #107 of 344

I have just made full size solid beer bottles. It should work the same. Just let it dry for several hours.

monkeydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeydust Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:10pm
post #108 of 344

I was thinking the same thing but with using a coke bottle. When you pour the sugar is the bottle standing upright or is laying on it's side?
These are great thanks for all the info

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 9:32pm
post #109 of 344
Quote:
Quote:

Just wondering if anyone has used this for a full size wine bottle yet and does it work the same way.

I am doing a full size wine bottle and it is a nightmare - well for me anyway!!!!!!!

I think I'm doing something too big, especially as I have zero experience with sugar bottles, and anything to do with cooked sugar.

I made the mold fine. Melted the sugar - fine! Poured some in and started turning the mold - not fine!!! The sides kept collapsing and then sticking to the other side, so I was forever trying to pull it apart. Because I was doing this, a lot of the sugar went to the 'top' of the bottle and pooled there. This went on for ages it seemed. So I thought I'd let this bit of sugar harden, then try to pour in a bit of melted sugar at a time, shape it, let it harden, and so forth. This didn't work as the mold became miss-shapened.

So in the end, I restorted to making lots of cooked sugar and pouring it into the mold to make a solid bottle, and suspended it in my pantry from the wire racks with clothes pegs!!!!!!!

Woke up the next morning, and one side had come away from the clothes peg, and bent the neck of the bottle! So I just put it in the microwave for a minute, and realigned it. Then let if solidify.

I haven't yet taken the mold off - haven't had the courage after all of the above!

Luckily, this is only an experiment for my husband (bless him - he is so supportive!) as I am making him a celebratory cake. I know the bottle will be heavy, and plan to dowel the cake lots before putting the bottle on it!

However, if any of you have any tips or pointers, I would be very grateful for any advice. I would like to do this again, but with hollow bottles!!!!

Quote:
Quote:

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:33am
post #110 of 344

SCS,
Did you try to make a solid mold for support? Maybe out of play doh or floam or something similar? I wasn't able to find a non-toxic latex locally so I tried to make a jalf mold out of crayola foam but it stuck to the sugar. I'm going to try play-doh next. I've used it to shape sugar but never as a mold.

SCS Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:51am
post #111 of 344

I did try a solid mold for support, but when I layed the bottle down on it, the top still collapsed down. I did think of doing a supporting mold with the bottle standing up, but wouldn't the sugar pool at the bottom?

Also, when I did move the bottle upright, the part of the bottle, near the neck started to buckle a bit.

Maybe my mold wasn't big or supportive enough?

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:18am
post #112 of 344

This is awsome. Now i want to try. Off to buy latex...

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #113 of 344

You have to tilt the mold slightly and pour the sugar in slowly, a little at a time, while rotating the mold. I don't always use a full batch of sugar mixture for the bottle if the sides seem thick enough. A solid bottle will tend to collapse. Pour some sugar in, let it cool a bit, rotate, pour a little more, etc.. This will keep it from buckling for the most part.

And you do need a solid half bottle mold for support of the latex mold.

crumbscakeartistry Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:38am
post #114 of 344

I finished mine this weekend. Thanks to everyone on this post for all the help.
LL
LL
LL

SCS Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 2:13pm
post #115 of 344

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will try it again soon, and just try to be more patient with it, and take my time! I do think I put too much boiled sugar in it to start with.

With the supportive mold - is it to support the bottle lying on its side, or standing up?

SweetResults Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm
post #116 of 344

crumbscakeartistry - looks great! Funny labels too!

SCS - yes the bottle is on it's side - sometimes I prop the mold a bit so the sugar does not pour out, but once it cools a bit it can stay on it's side.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm
post #117 of 344

Oh those bottles are too cute!!! Great work! icon_biggrin.gif

MissPrettyInPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissPrettyInPink Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:04pm
post #118 of 344

i've seen this cake before. i thought they were real bottles! brilliant idea

MFitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFitz Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:23pm
post #119 of 344

SweetResults- thank you so much for such a great cake and great instructions!

I am experimenting with molds and sugar and am not having luck with the microwave method.

What is the temp to bring the sugar mixture to boil?
To achieve a nice clear color any tips?

Does anyone have a good source for isomelt if my experiments continue to fail?

Thanks Everyone!

SweetResults Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:41pm
post #120 of 344

Boy I wish I could help more, but I am just a Sugar Hack myself. I am not really sure what the temp is. And I've always had a bit of a yellowish tint, becuase when i went for clear it never seemed to harden properly. I pretty much have been going by "feel". But I think that you have to bring the sugar to the hard crack stage, maybe if you google that it will give you a temp?

Or take a look in the candy forum? I'm sure somone there would know where to get isomelt as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%