Sugar Beer Bottles

Sugar Work By SweetResults Updated 17 Jun 2014 , 1:29pm by Cakesnpops

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:51pm
post #121 of 344

i was able to get Isomalt at this place: http://www.lepicerie.com/catalog/product_122129_Isomalt.html?gclid=CKGsq9i7zY4CFQVHUAodiQe2AQ

I have not tried it yet.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 10:10am
post #122 of 344

Okay I know this is a relatively old topic, but I want to attempt one this weekend.

When you make the mold to hold the bottle as you rotate, do you make it to mold half the bottle as if:

1. you turned the bottle upside down into a block of putty and then pulled it out.

2. Molded half the bottle vertically i.e. from top to bottom.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:07pm
post #123 of 344

Half the bottle from top to bottom icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:39pm
post #124 of 344

I have a question about size of cake for beer bucket. I am going to attach a pic of my last try on this and what a disaster it was. I think my cake was too small and when I put the bottles in it cracked and fell apart. What do you do, do you use dowels to support bottles or what? Any help would be appreciated.
LL

ahuvas Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #125 of 344

Did you fill the molds so that they were solid? I wouldnt have thought they were heavy enough to cause the cake to sink?

SweetResults Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #126 of 344

The bottles should be hollow - I have done it without dowels on smaller versions - but I don't put the bottles in until I get to the party if I have to travel far, just because of bumps.

I do usually dowel the first layer just so I can take the cake apart and cut the bottom first with out disturbing the bottles. I also don't push the bottles in too far, twist them gently as you push them in and go slowly or it will crack.

I'm so sorry that happened to your cake!! icon_sad.gif Your bottles look great.

Also a quick apology to those of you who have PMed me in the past week or so - life has been crazy and I have not been able to answer. GOing to try to get to them all now.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:40pm
post #127 of 344

My bottles were hollow, I think I just pushed them in too far and my cake needed to be bigger. thanks for your responses!!

ahuvas Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:27am
post #128 of 344

Just a quick question what did you make the fake ice with?

SweetResults Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #129 of 344

Same sugar recipe, just don't cook as long - pour out onto foil and break apart carefully when hard.

SweetResults Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 1:17pm
post #130 of 344

I was just reading my original post and noticed the measurements don't show up - and I can't edit the post.

It is 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup corn syrup.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #131 of 344

I think this is a really cool idea - but I am sooo not getting it. Does anyone have a picture of their mold? It sounds like you're making a full 3D mold.... all around, but the bottom is hollow.... but I don't know how. I was thinking of ordering some of the liquid silicone plastique from Culinart.net - I know I have some other stuff of his - haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking that liquid stuff would be the easiest to use for this type of thing.

But how is the sugar bottle not solid? How do you get it to just be the sides? I guess I'm just a very visual person... I don't get it..... I'd really like to make one for a friend, so I'm trying to figure this out before June if anyone can help. I just can't see it in my mind!

Oh also can't figure out the bottlecaps... I saw someone ask that question but I never saw an answer

imartsy Posted 1 May 2008 , 12:23am
post #132 of 344

Hmm this post is acting a little funny - I think it had some posts from pre-crash..... so I'm just posting again to bump it and hopefully this time it works.

imartsy Posted 3 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #133 of 344

So how much of the silicone plastique or rubber stuff do you have to buy to make a mold of a beer bottle?

And are they really edible.... or are they just made of sugar, but you should tell people not to eat them?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 May 2008 , 2:58pm
post #134 of 344

Here are some pics that might help. I used the silicone plastique for my bottle molds. I have two molds, but plan to make a third because I usually have enough sugar to mold 3 bottles at a time.

One of the pics is of what happens when your sugar is not at the right temp, but it also illustrates the shape of the molded bottle. The bottles should come to a point, as shown, so they don't crack the cake when inserted.
LL
LL

imartsy Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #135 of 344

Ooh thanks for the picture DianeLM - do you do two half bottles and then put them together? How do you put them together?

Also, I thought you used the whole sugar mixture to make one bottle. Are you saying you just usually have enough sugar on hand to make more than one, or are you using the one recipe to make 3 bottles?

DianeLM Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #136 of 344

I haven't read the whole thread so please forgive me if I'm repeating or contradicting previous advice. This is just the way I do it. Doesn't mean it's the right way or the wrong way.

The bottles are only the front half and top half. I don't 'put the halves together'. I have attached a couple of pics of a cake from the side and from the back. Hopefully, you can see how the bottles fit in. A pic of the front of this cake is in my photos.

I haven't read the recipe that started this thread, but the recipe I use yields enough sugar to make 3 bottles. This is AFTER I've used 1/2 a recipe, or so, to make the ice. I melt 1 cup of sugar with 1/2 cup corn syrup.
LL
LL

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #137 of 344

great info and pictures

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #138 of 344

What coloring do you use to make your bottles brown

Molly2

imartsy Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:22am
post #139 of 344

All right I know the labels are edible images... (hope I can find someone to print one for me), but what are the bottle caps? Those aren't sugar too, are they?

imartsy Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:55am
post #140 of 344

Has anyone tried to make these molds out of silicone plastique? I have about a pound of it - it's from the makeyourownmolds.com website. I'm just not sure if it will be a strong enough mold....

And what do you use to hold it when you're pouring the sugar? regular gloves? Are there special candy gloves?

And I didn't see an answer about the bottle caps...

I just hope I can get someone to print the edible images too for the labels

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:43am
post #141 of 344
DianeLM Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #142 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

Has anyone tried to make these molds out of silicone plastique? I have about a pound of it - it's from the makeyourownmolds.com website. I'm just not sure if it will be a strong enough mold....

If you scroll up about five posts, you'll see a picture I posted of a silicone plastique bottle mold.

And what do you use to hold it when you're pouring the sugar? regular gloves? Are there special candy gloves?

I wear cotton chocolate candy making gloves topped with a pair of latex gloves. I haven't burned myself yet. I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep a bowl of ice water at hand.

And I didn't see an answer about the bottle caps...

I make mine out of fondant. I cut out a circle, then use that pointed, ridged Wilton gumpaste tool to imprint the ridges around the edge. Then, form it over a real bottle to dry.

I just hope I can get someone to print the edible images too for the labels

[/b]

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #143 of 344

this is such a cool idea!! very creative!! but i have one question.. i'm trying to picture this in my head, but after seeing pictures of molds here i'm lost... do u create 2 half molds or one full bottle mold??

DianeLM Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #144 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublecz1103

this is such a cool idea!! very creative!! but i have one question.. i'm trying to picture this in my head, but after seeing pictures of molds here i'm lost... do u create 2 half molds or one full bottle mold??

Can someone please tell me if my posts are showing up in this thread? Particularly the pictures? I can't help but feel a bit exasperated by the fact that I've answered this question in excrutiating detail accompanied by several large, color photos only 5 posts prior to this one.

I admitted earlier that I hadn't read through the whole thread myself, but I sure as heck WOULD read it from start to finish before asking questions that may have been already addressed.

My hats off to those patient people who don't mind answering the same question over and over again for people who don't take the time to find the info themselves. I'm getting really crotchety in my old age. *sigh*

imartsy Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #145 of 344

Diane, I am sorry - I did see your pictures... I should have clarified asking if you could use the silicone plastique for the full bottle mold - since the ones I saw were only half bottles...

I did still have a question about the gloves.... I thought I had seen something about gloves before - but I can't remember what page it was on... too bad we can't search a specific thread.....at least I don't think we can....

And I didn't see an answer about the bottle caps. I saw several posts about those.... but when I went to the posts, they were empty - must have been done before the crash of this site.... so I think the answers there were lost and I didn't see any in this thread.....

I completely understand how frustrating it is to see questions you've already answered.... I think I just wasn't specific enough.... sorry for that. I really appreciate your pictures and posts.

DianeLM Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #146 of 344

There appears to be a page 11 to this thread, but when I try to access it, I get an error message. What a drag!

imartsy - I'm sorry I misunderstood your question. I have not seen a whole bottle mold made of any material. I don't see why one couldn't make a whole bottle mold from silicone plastique. Just form the silicone all the way around the bottle, then cut the mold in half. Rubberband the two halves together when pouring in the sugar (or chocolate!).

If the bottles would be inserted into a cake, I would still try to make the bottom half of the bottle come to a point - or two points, depending on how the sugar runs down. Trying to insert a thick bottle could cause the cake to crack.

The tricky thing about gloves is, the better insulated they are, the bulkier they are, making it difficult to handle the materials. I'm not the most graceful person and I've never had an incident with the hot sugar. However, there were a couple of times I was darn glad to be wearing the cotton and latex gloves!

MelissaRHK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaRHK Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #147 of 344

I have a couple of the "bottle" cakes in my gallery -- thanks to Diane's instructions and examples --

Here's a tip that might help -- Diane, can't remember if this came from you or not --

With the microwave version, To keep the color more clear, I was told to use something other that Kayro for the bottles-- I believe it has to do with fructose ratio or level-- anyways, I use wal-mart's great value brand -- the microwave -- and get clearer bottles --

I'll see if I can locate the exact text around Kayro versus 'off brand"

HTH
melissa

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #148 of 344

thanks for sharing

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #149 of 344

DianeLM - I'm sorry if your referring to me! I was a bit confused because I've seen this done a few different ways!! Some people have full bottles some have it your way.. which is why i asked... I DID see your pictures and I DID read what you said... i even printed some of it out to refer to!! This is just a learning/helping website.. and how do you learn..by asking.. even if it is asked multiple times. ... but, I feel like an idiot now..

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:01am
post #150 of 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Have you all tried these?

http://www.decoratethecake.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=SugarBottleMolds

Thank you to the original poster and thank you wgoat5 for this link!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%