Giving Your Honest (Put Nicely) Opinion ...

Lounge By CakesByEllen Updated 11 Jan 2006 , 9:55pm by okieinalaska

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:30am
post #61 of 100

Well, first of all my agreement to the original comment about using the number three and odd numbers as a design concept, well it was just a statement that this is a design rule in interior decorating etc. For example you can have 8 flowers or objects but placing them in groups so as to have them appear as an odd number of articles is an interior decorating rule of thumb because odd numbers or groupings are generally perceived as more pleasing to the eye. That is pretty standard.
I think when people truly want a critique and say so, then you are given an open door to do so in a positive and constructive manner. But posting a picture of a cake is not an invitation to any form of critique, it isn't here and it isn't on the Wilton forum or a lot of other sites either.
I remember well, a new decorator on the Wilton site who posted a picture of a cake and asked for constructive criticism or any pointers from which she might improve. Well the darn cake was perfect, outstanding, amazing, the only thing wrong was that it was displayed on a wrinkly aluminum foil covered board. So I had told her that if she took that cake and put it on a nicely covered board, it looked like a designer cake and could easily command the prices that Colette Peters and others can. I made a few suggestions on what kinds of boards or bases she could use, how she could cover them etc. Well all hell broke loose because she was offended. So you see, even when someone asks for constructive criticism, they may not want to hear it at all.
So the poster has to be honest and the reader has to realize that unless asked, a critique is not welcomed or may not be welcomed.
Yes some may learn by being informed of methods that will improve or correct issues, but others may just be hurt by this information. You really have to try and figure out why they are posting a picture.
And I don't say "Good job" or anything else positive unless I really mean it, so it isn't just meaningless words. I have yet to see a cake on this site that wasn't worthy of positive comments.
If someone comments that their borders always look lopsided or off and how can they correct that, I would post some suggestions. But if someone posts a cake with lopsided borders and doesn't mention that issue, I would not pass on that information to them. Chances are, when they want to know, they will ask. They just might not be ready for that at this point in time.
And sorry, but I don't believe that there will not be a least a couple of really negative comments that cannot be construed as being helpful but hurtful because I have read the posts on this site for a long time. There are a few people that go out of their way to make a mean dig at others for absolutely no purpose than other to be hurtful or mean and they think by adding a "lol", that the reader is too stupid to get the message.
There will always be those that celebrate, cry, laugh, and get angry with you and understand the true meaning of empathy and those who will look for any excuse to be mean.
Not everyone is on the site to learn or make a business, some do this for fun or a hobby and some just want to share and chat and be friendly, some people are confined to their homes or ill and a lot of folks are lonely.
Hugs Squirrelly

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:51am
post #62 of 100

Squirrelly, you said it all~ I agree!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:01am
post #63 of 100

You bring up points that I didn't think about. Thank you once again - you are such a valuable resource Squirrelly. I am here because I want to learn. I really don't want a "that's pretty" or "nice flowers" every cake I post. I don't post many for that reason.....I was hoping to have a place where I could post a picture and get some constructive comments on. I didn't think about what all could happen, and I see why there isn't a section like that now. I have only posted the ones that I felt were a challenge for me at the time because I wanted to know what others thought of them. I guess I will just continue to do that......just wish there was a way to get more "learning" from it.

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:18am
post #64 of 100

I am in agreement with Squirrelly.

ps. . . . 3 flowers or 4 flowers . .. I'm just happy if my flowers turn out.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:19am
post #65 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

You bring up points that I didn't think about. Thank you once again - you are such a valuable resource Squirrelly. I am here because I want to learn. I really don't want a "that's pretty" or "nice flowers" every cake I post. I don't post many for that reason.....I was hoping to have a place where I could post a picture and get some constructive comments on. I didn't think about what all could happen, and I see why there isn't a section like that now. I have only posted the ones that I felt were a challenge for me at the time because I wanted to know what others thought of them. I guess I will just continue to do that......although there won't be much learning going on from it.

Hi kiddo,
Well, I think that if you are looking for constructive criticism or pointers and post in the General Forum and state this is what you want, you will be ok. Just don't be surprised if you do get a comment that seems less than helpful and if you can handle it, you will be fine.
I think even referencing the cake that you want pointers in, in the General Forum, would be a good way to go.
I think the way that post was made about the Play-Doh roses was a good example of someone being pleased with their good work and yet asking for any additional tips that might be needed information. And I suppose because I felt that I had a good handle on that wonderful person's personality, I knew she meant it and was comfortable adding a pointer. So I think a lot has to do with how familar we are with the person that is asking for information. And by her responses, we could see that she didn't take things as negatively at all, well it would be hard to be negative about such excellent work anyway! But if she had posted and said that she was thrilled with her roses and thought they were perfect and wanted to share, then it wouldn't have been appropriate to add pointers, does that make sense?
Hugs Squirrelly

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:32am
post #66 of 100

I'm thinking back to several months ago when the star rating option (the same one we now use in the contest voting) was removed from all the photos in the gallery. If I remember correctly, and I may be not totally accurate, but I think that was done because some people gave really low ratings on some of the cakes, and even that was hurtful to some!

Offering criticism, critiques, suggestions of any kind are probably to be undertaken at your own risk even when they are specifically asked for.

Some people are even unhappy when they don't get a comment, much less if they get criticism.

IMHO Janice

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:33am
post #67 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazaryk

I am in agreement with Squirrelly.

ps. . . . 3 flowers or 4 flowers . .. I'm just happy if my flowers turn out.

Heehee, I am with you on that one kiddo!
Actually it is having things in groupings of odd numbers and even if you have an even number of objects and/or things, the design theory is that if you make that even number of things appear to be an odd number by grouping, there is a more pleasing appearance and balance to the eye. So if you had eight flowers for example, you would do three flowers together, two and then three, so you have three groups. It is interesting because large numbers of people have been tested on this and the designs - even if the same objects are used - the ones in odd number groupings or with the appearance of three, win every time.
Hhmn, I watch far too many decorating shows, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:39am
post #68 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I'm thinking back to several months ago when the star rating option (the same one we now use in the contest voting) was removed from all the photos in the gallery. If I remember correctly, and I may be not totally accurate, but I think that was done because some people gave really low ratings on some of the cakes, and even that was hurtful to some!

Offering criticism, critiques, suggestions of any kind are probably to be undertaken at your own risk even when they are specifically asked for.

Some people are even unhappy when they don't get a comment, much less if they get criticism.

IMHO Janice

That is true kiddo. I think, that the star ratings were removed from the galleries because at one point in time, there were a few outside troublemakers coming on in the wee hours of the morning, putting really low star ratings on the cakes in the galleries, I think there are some old posts about this, possibly referring to them as "Phantom members" or a term like that. It seemed to be a prank, but it was upsetting a lot of people.
Nice to see you posting kiddo, hope you are feeling better!
Hugs Squirrelly

Loucinda Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:48am
post #69 of 100

Thanks ladies....I guess it will be "ask at your own risk!!" icon_wink.gif I hope I don't come across as a smart alec....I really don't mean to.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 5:11am
post #70 of 100

I'm sorry if anyone was offended by this topic. I did not point out specific cakes for just that reason. I also went back and edited the basketweave/crumbcoat comment I initially made to remove the helpful criticism and make it a good job comment.

Lovabledes - it was not one of your cakes I was referring to. I was just browsing the gallery, so I don't know whose cakes I was talking about.

I think we have had enough of this topic. Comment if you dare. Personally, I plan to refrain from making comments.

Thank you to everyone for this lively conversation!

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 5:12am
post #71 of 100

I like the idea of doing the area dedicated to feedback. However, if you see a common error, why not start a new topic on it? Such as the odd number of flowers. I've seen here many people don't know that and I think it would be nice to start a topic on it so those who aren't reading this topic can see. Just start topic as a pointer. Don't point out any specific cake or anything (or even wait a few days if you want). I know there have been a few topics on taking good pictures of your cakes. Someone may have seen some not-so-good photographs and made them think of it, but it wasn't ever pointed out that it was in regards to any specific cake. There are so many great ideas and ways to help others, but it's hard to critique those we don't "know" and are only writing back and forth. Posting tips shouldn't offend anyone, especially if you don't mention anyone!

Just my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

Kelly

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:23pm
post #72 of 100

Wow. It looks as though were about 50/50 on this issue. Some welcome criticism and some would be hurt by it.

It seems to me that anyone who is looking for constructive criticism and advice on their cakes asks for it in a thread or in the description under their picture. At least thats the impression Ive received after 6 or 7 months of visiting this site often. I personally think the dedicated forum where people go specifically for criticism is a great idea. But its not absolutely necessary. Anyone who wants criticism will continue to ask for it if they so choose. It seems very offensive to me that anyone would write a negative comment it would look better if you did this in the photo gallery under someones picture. It just doesnt seem like the appropriate place. And even though some of us want advice and ideas on improvement, it would be impossible to remember who welcomes it and who might be offended. I dont post my pictures get my ego stroked as someone put it, but I dont necessarily want someone to tell me everything I did wrong. Im quite good at picking out my flaws and Im very observant. When I look at other peoples cakes, I can immediately see what they did that makes their cakes so much better than mine. That alone helps me to know what I need to do differently next time. I just think that if someone doesnt have a clue what theyre doing wrong (or feel theyre doing wrong) they will ask for assistance. Asking for advice or help is one area that no one on here seems to be shy about. I dont feel that any CC member sets out to be malicious, but written words arent always interpreted the way they would be if they were spoken.

Squirrellys tale (pun intended) about her suggestion of the change of cake board on the Wilton site is a perfect example of why its so important to be careful of what you say to whom, even when they are asking for advice. From what I've read from Squirrelly, I can't imagine it was put any way other than nicely and the person was still offended. Even if you give an honest opinion put nicely, some people are still easily upset.

I also dont agree that a PM is the way to go either. You could still offend someone by surprising them with a PM saying your cake could be better if you. I think a general thread saying Tips on creating a great basketweave (sorry, lack of a better example, Ive never done a basketweave so I would welcome this thread any day) and then giving the how-tos, would be the least offensive and would avoid creating any tension. Other people reading would learn new ideas or add their own. I think it would be received better by most members, but thats just me.

Signing off,
Respectfully Disagreeable in Maine.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:44pm
post #73 of 100

I agree with most here... Saying nice job! etc is the norm, but the gallery isn't the place for being critical on the cake....pm the person if they want it to be critiqued ...if not....Nice job...or Keep up the good work., will do IMO.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 2:48pm
post #74 of 100

Do you think this is an age thing like IHATEFONDANT mentioned? I am not old, but I am old to the net. Remember when there was no WWW and everything was just message boards? Before the great AOL invasion, the net was not a place for the faint of heart. People laughed at anyone who fell for "flame bait" and let anonymous people on line anger/hurt you. So, it is very hard for me to imagine someone crying and throwing out her baking pans just b/c of a comment online.

I like the idea of a specific forum for constructive criticism. We could call it "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." icon_smile.gif Of course, the forum would be for constructive criticism and anyone who was just plain mean would be forced to eat Wilton fondant.

MainCake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:09pm
post #75 of 100

I'm certainly not faint of heart by any means. I'm always telling people that I'm a truck driver's daughter and married to a carpenter so there's little I haven't heard and probably said at one time or another. And I'm very good at speaking up for myself, but to have someone tear apart a cake that I'm proud of would be offensive. It's one of the few talents I have, even though I'm not nearly as talented as many of the other people on here. It would upset me to have someone I idolize (there are many on here) say something negative about every cake I post. I would make me angry but it wouldn't cause me to throw out my pans. It would likely stop me from coming back to this site. And that would be too bad because I really enjoy everything on Cake Central. I'm already leery of posting any more pictures because of a thread from a while back. I don't want to become so discouraged that I choose not to return. Asking for advice and criticism is one thing. To have it given unsolicited is an entirely different thing.

ljdaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdaa Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 3:49pm
post #76 of 100

I think every cake on this site deserves kudos. Even though one may not be the picture of perfection, it helps me learn. The picture may allow me to remember to do, or not to do, this or that.

Also, what about those who have mastered perfection, then someone suggests a different color or accent. Woud that be constructive criticism, or just a personal opinion?

Krise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krise Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:06pm
post #77 of 100

I'm a nebie to cake making haven't even baked my first one yet. I do post a comment on the ones I think are jsut killer! and the ones I happen to like. In no way am I even close to making a "you can do better" post on there cakes. I honesty don't think I would if I did have the experience, there showing off there cakes, cupcakes baked products and if they needed help or suggestions I would think they would say something.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:09pm
post #78 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblezmom

I like the idea of a specific forum for constructive criticism. We could call it "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." icon_smile.gif Of course, the forum would be for constructive criticism and anyone who was just plain mean would be forced to eat Wilton fondant.

GREAT name for a dedicated place to cirtique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdaa

Also, what about those who have mastered perfection, then someone suggests a different color or accent. Woud that be constructive criticism, or just a personal opinion?

ALL criticism/critique is personal opinion. And the idea of seeking input is to see it through another's eyes. They just might see something you never thought of.
As a teaching vet of 30 years, this whole "you hurt my self-esteem" concept has gotten out of hand to the point you dare not say anything other than platitudionous comments about anything anyone does! what poppycock! One learns by critique/criticism...and yes it hurts!...part of the territory folks (no pain...)! As my sainted mother always said when I complained about others criticising me...."Grow up! Get over it!"

I fear we have become a society of emtional 4-year-olds in adult bodies. Growing up means being able to take the heat, and like become "refined"....(image from how metal is refined--made pure--by application of intense heat! -- also image used in Christian faith..the refiner's fire ... the evil burnt out of you).

So...let the flames begin. (and we can all begin w/ my spelling! be thankful you don't have to see this handwritten! icon_confused.gif )

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:13pm
post #79 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

platitudionous

What does this mean?

icon_redface.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 4:19pm
post #80 of 100

thumbs_up.gif

Doug,

AMEN !!!

MainCake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:09pm
post #81 of 100

This thread is a perfect example of why many of us prefer watch what we say. Comments and suggestions as well as simple questions spiral out of control fast because we all have differing opinions. For me to impose mine on all of you is just wrong. If a thread requesting opinions is generated, I will probably look at it and add to it if I feel that I have anything useful to contribute. Whether or not I am an motional 4 yr old in an adult body, I choose NOT to disrespect any other decorator by giving unsolicited advice that could in any way be misconstrued or hurtful. I don't understand why anyone would want to.

If my child came to me, even as an adult and said "Mom, see what I made" I would NEVER pick out his flaws. I wouldn't do that to anyone. If he asked me how he could improve, I would then offer suggestions, but not until he made it clear to me that he wanted to hear what I had to say. Obviously most of us are adults, but I try to treat everyone with the respect and courtesy that I desire to be treated with myself.

Loucinda Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:29pm
post #82 of 100

How about making it an area that you have to have pre-authorized permission to be in? It could be made available only to those who WANT to use it. (thus not open to the general public to "view") If you have to sign in to go in there, it could be monitored easily and anyone who is being truely mean sprited can be booted (or made to eat Wilton fondant)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:40pm
post #83 of 100

Rvallee, I suspect Doug is referring to the tendancy these days of how we treat our children and using it as a referrance point based on his experience. I could be wrong, but I think what he is saying is we often encourage our children and sometimes when they are adults, it can backfire. I will use an example of a cousin's child. When he was little she had him enrolled in sports for fun and exercise and he always said he would play in the N.H. L. Well as he grew up, he made no effort in school but always felt it didn't matter because one day he would be a rich hockey player. The trouble is, at 16, well he hadn't been approached by any level or team where there really was any hope of his childhood dream taking place, because he just simply didn't have the talent. But instead of trying to steer him elsewhere, my cousin kept encouraging his dream because she knew that was what he wanted, not because he shone in that area. So she wasn't really doing him any favours. I think it has become popular to treat our children this way and they come into adulthood with unrealistic expectations and either end up with an attitude or chip on their shoulder, or are in for a rude awakening. Not everyone is brilliant or athletic or artistic or shines in the field they would like to, that is just reality. So my interpretation of Doug's words is that when people ask for healthy critiques, they should be able to handle them as an adult. And on that point, I agree and actually I think you do too. But unsolicited remarks are not necessary as you have pointed out.
I don't think he meant to suggest that if people couldn't handle unsollicited criticism, they needed to grow up, at least that isn't how I took it.
Hugs Squirrelly

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 6:52pm
post #84 of 100

Kudos to Doug for a great post.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting that photos be inundated with unsolicited negative comments. I know I certainly wasn't.

In my first post I asked those who aren't serious about decorating to stop reading..same with this one.

We have different categories of decorators on this site.

Those that want to decorate for friends and family....and those that want to make a living or a second income.

If you are in this for the money, as I said before, grow a thick layer of skin.

When people order things from you they have expectations..if they don't get what they feel they deserve you will hear about it and they won't care about your delicate feelings. They will also make sure that anyone within earshot will know about their "bad" experience.

My suggestion was to use this site to learn. In order to learn your work MUST be critiqued. You can measure the comments you get by who makes them and judge them accordingly.

I'm with Doug when it comes to the "teaching" part of it. If every teacher on earth said "Great job" for mediocre work why would anyone strive for improvement??

If decorators are serious about their craft they will have to take some lumps to get where they want to be.

I agree that there should be a forum where adult discussion can take place between people who want to learn and improve their skills. This forum is FREE, take advantage of it.

I'm betting that you will find having your feelings injured in this forum will sit much better than having a customer lay you out for subpar work.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 7:02pm
post #85 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

I'm betting that you will find having your feelings injured in this forum will sit much better than having a customer lay you out for subpar work.

No doubt about that. i would rather have someone here tell me I need help than someone wanting their money back after i spent 12 hours doing their order....

Thanks,

Julia

MainCake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 7:08pm
post #86 of 100

How anyone raises their children is not my business, although I do agree your sousin's son is in for a rude surprise. But that is my point, we are all different in our views of things. I don't want to offend anyone and I don't want to have negative feelings about this website. I would stop coming back or at the very least, posting my pictures if I expected to encounter negativity every time I did. I do the best I can for my ability right now. I hope it improves the more I do. My history of cake decorating has shown me that it will. But to go on and read the comments of my cake and having it say "your cake would be nicer looking if you had 7 flowers instead of 6" would take me by surprise and leave me feeling, well, unhappy. Everyone has always been very encouraging and welcoming but lately this site is changing (or maybe it's just me that is changing??). I've noticed that in the short time I've been visiting here. I haven't been coming here nearly as long as others but I always felt a very positive vibe from everyone here until recently.

Getting back to the issue at hand, I still feel that feedback should be requested before being given. If they ask for it and still leave feeling dejected, well at least next time they will know what to expect. I was in no way saying it shouldn't be given if requested. Just that it's awfully presumputous for anyone to assume that their way is better and to thrust it onto an unsuspecting member.

Loucinda Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 7:17pm
post #87 of 100

****See my idea above******....that is what I would like to have from the site, those who know more than I do to help me learn to be better.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 7:30pm
post #88 of 100

How come it seems when we start getting a little "serious" people all of the sudden think that we aren't nice anymore?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 7:52pm
post #89 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by fytar

How come it seems when we start getting a little "serious" people all of the sudden think that we aren't nice anymore?

I think we can be both serious and nice, but should only critique when asked and then critique both seriously and in a nice manner, tactfully and constructively! And if someone has asked for opinions, instructions and critiques, they need to make certain they can handle it, otherwise it is best not to ask. And actually I think we are all agreed on that point. So there is responsibility with both the critique and the critiqued, would you agree?
Hugs Squirrelly

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:01pm
post #90 of 100

I would like for the people to tell me the real truth then to sugar coat my work , Its helps for the next time I make a cake I will learn from mistakes and comments,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%