Giving Your Honest (Put Nicely) Opinion ...

Lounge By CakesByEllen Updated 11 Jan 2006 , 9:55pm by okieinalaska

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:13pm
post #91 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by creations

then to sugar coat my work , ,

sugar coat...hehehe icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif (it's sort of all about the sugar coating (or icing, rather) here at CC, isn't it? lol J/K It just struck my funny bone)

As for me, I would love it if more people would give me more constructive (but friendly) criticisms on my cakes - solicited or otherwise. Though I only have 2 cakes posted in my gallery, there will be more in the future...so bring it on! LOL As someone else stated, customers have expectations...and others may notice flaws/mistakes/areas for improvement that I may not have noticed myself. Unless someone was just blatantly mean & nasty (which is hard to mistake verbally or in the written/typed word), I would assume the best of them and that they're only trying to help me better my skills & learn more. And it helps to remember that it's still just someone else's opinion...it doesn't mean they're right & you're wrong or did a horrible job or anything. I just try to take it objectively and in stride & always assume the positive in others, rather than the negative. icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:16pm
post #92 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by creations

I would like for the people to tell me the real truth then to sugar coat my work , Its helps for the next time I make a cake I will learn from mistakes and comments,

So Creations whenever you want this information, post your picture and ask for critiques, advice etc because otherwise people are not able to keep track of who wants advice and critiques and who does not.
Hugs Squirrelly

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:16pm
post #93 of 100

Who am I to presume another member could grow as a decorator from my pointers if they have not asked for hints? The comment that started this little debate was:

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I was wondering something. When I look at the gallery pictures, it seems like ALL people do is say "nice job" "very pretty" stuff like that.

While I would NEVER EVER say something mean (like OOH, that's awful), I would like to make constructive criticism to help people. I would always point out the positive, but think people also could grow as a decorator from some pointers.

First of all, what is wrong with positive reinforcement? I for one, don't write anything on anyone's cakes unless I truly mean it. If someone wants our assistance and feels it could help them grow, they will ask for it. Anyone who is serious about cake decorating and would like to grow in this area WILL go searching for ideas or will ask for them outright. Someone who is only doing it for fun should not be subjected to unwelcome advice even if you do feel they need it. Its not your place to tell them what they are doing wrong or could be doing better. The idea of starting a general thread seems a better way to handle a situation where you feel someone could grow from your expertise. Or write a book like for that matter so you can make $$ from your expert pointers.

Some of you have made it very clear you want pointers. You can probably safely assume that you will be receiving them from those who are eager to give them.

Also - I don't mean to imply that people aren't nice on here anymore, just that the atmosphere isn't as upbeat and positive as it was when I first started coming to this site. I'm guilty of that too I suppose because I don't hesitate to respectfully disagree when I feel strongly about a subject such as this one.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:30pm
post #94 of 100

I have had nothing but good experiences on here.....even with wanting to have some of the "serious" stuff! I think some perceive things differently than others ~ and the written words are much harder....you don't get the facial expressions to go with them that help you "get" what the author is trying to get across.

The big difference here is that there are some of us who are very serious about wanting to improve their skills, and there are some who are very happy about where they are and do not want to go the next step. There is nothing wrong with either one. It is just difficult to decide what is the best way to help those of us who want it from those of us who are perfectly happy the way we are.

When I post a picture of a cake, I appreciate the comments of others on what their perception is of my work.....that is one of the only ways of learning in this business. I know I have read some comments on how to do different things.....and it is like a light bulb goes off in my head! It may very well be something I never would have thought of! This site is a wealth of information, and I think it is sad not to use it to it's full potential.

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:46pm
post #95 of 100

Just a couple of days ago my 8 year old was a little miffed at her teacher for telling her she could do better(it was something she had to color). I told her there was nothing wrong with that because her teacher must know she can do better. I then asked her if she was not interested in what she was doing at the time and she admitted she wasn't. HMMM maybe I should call the teacher and tell her to be nicer to my little princess icon_smile.gif .
A little constructive criticism didn't really hurt her and actually helped. That said, I think that unless the person asks specifically how could I make the cake better, I wouldn't post an even seemingly helpful comment. Of course, I'm not in the position to offer any advice since I've only just started doing cakes myself. I know my cakes I post are far from perfect but they do represent a bunch of hours out of my life so I post them. Believe me I can pick out all the flaws-especially after seeing the rest of the cakes on here.

Sandra

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:50pm
post #96 of 100

I've heard "you're your own worst critic" countless times. I have yet to hear "I have nothing more to learn". Who hasn't seen their flaws sticking out like a sore thumb?

Seems to me the whole point of this site is to learn as much as we can about decorating. I just feel that if advice/pointers/ideas aren't requested, they will likely be more hurtful than helpful. I'm with Squirrelly on this one. If you want pointers, feel free to start thread, post your picture and ask away.

sweet_thang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_thang Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 8:55pm
post #97 of 100

Here is a little senario for you to ponder: (this is of course a first conversation like most messages are on here)
" i like your shirt it is so pretty! but you it really isn't right for your body type and that color isn't the best for you either."
So just think about that when you write something, a comment isn't required, and generally everyone is their own toughest critic and probably does not feel like they are the ultimate cake guru, they are just proud of their hours of work!

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:15pm
post #98 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvallee

I still feel that feedback should be requested before being given. If they ask for it and still leave feeling dejected, well at least next time they will know what to expect. I was in no way saying it shouldn't be given if requested. Just that it's awfully presumputous for anyone to assume that their way is better and to thrust it onto an unsuspecting member.

rvallee, I agree. I do NOT assume when I am looking at the photos in the Gallery that someone is interested in criticism, unless they ask. But I do sometimes think that encouragement might be appreciated.

Not everybody here wants to make a career out of cake decorating. Some of us just think that it is fun, and it means a lot just to have another person say 'Cute cake'.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:22pm
post #99 of 100

Maybe if you are one of those desiring honest feedback or constructive criticism, then just say so in your photo description. Otherwise, only positive feedback would be appropriate.

Just my opinion.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 11 Jan 2006 , 9:55pm
post #100 of 100

Luv2cake, I was just going to post the very same thing. If you want it, just ask for it in your photo description. : ) I don't think there needs to be another forum or anything. icon_smile.gif

I find this subject slighlty ironic? first people said they didn't get enough comments on their cakes, now people say they aren't getting the right types of comments.... You know that saying: I can only please one person per day. Today isn't your day. Tomorrow isn't looking so good either. icon_lol.gif

Seriously though:
I try to say more than just "good job" when I post a comment. I try to mention something I like about the cake. But if by chance I do only post a "good job" it's because I don't have much time. Until the day I get paid to surf the web that's the way it will have to be. icon_wink.gif (where do I apply for that job?)
icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%