I Got All Three !!! (Long)

Decorating By frstech Updated 8 Jan 2006 , 3:36pm by Lazy_Susan

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 23

I got a call last night from a fellow PTA member who is moving out of district. She says, "Dawn, I have some cake decorating books I would like to give you, can you come get them ?" Of course I said yes and went right over not knowing what she may have for me.

Well here is what I got...

1.) The Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, Volumes 1, 2, & 3 !!!
Volume 1 & 2 are first editions and 3 is Second printing 1981 (hardbound)

2.) Celebrate ! Omnibus The best of twelve beautiful issues of Celebrate magazine by Wilton, copyright 1976 (hardbound)

3.) pictorial encyclopedia of Modern Cake Decorating sixth edition copyright 1969 (hardbound)

4.) 1998 Wilton Yearbook (this will give me an extra one)

5.) Course I Cake Decorating Book

I tell you I almost cried, then I asked her could I give her any money for them and she said, " No, I just want you to have them because I know you will take care of them and appreciate them." Again I almost cried !!

Oh, I also forgot to mention, that she only had Volumes 1 & 3 in the stack when I got ther and when I got excited over them she says, " oh yeah I have another book holding up some other books, let me get it." And that is when she handed me Volume 2 !! icon_eek.gif

Anyway, I look at this as my Birthday gift birthday.gif and needless to say I looked at everypage of the Hardbounds last night and drove my DH up the wall saying "ooh, Look at this !" every minute or so.

Now I know why others were so excited about these ! icon_biggrin.gif

22 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 23

Sounds like you hit the jackpot! Congratulations!

Debbie

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 23

Hi Dawn,

Congratulations on your outstanding gifts...one lucky lady icon_wink.gif

Can you find me a friend like that? icon_cry.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 23

Congratulations!!! That is exciting. What a wonderful gift. I don't have those books, but have seen them on Ebay and they are hard to get.

frstech Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 23

thanks guys !

I can't wait to try some of the ideas in them !!

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 23

Congratulations, You are one lucky lady.

Wilma

Krise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krise Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 23

that's awesome! Good for you!

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 23

Alright!! That is great!! thumbs_up.gif

Hugs, ~Denise

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 23

Well congratulations, that is so nice and lovely that she gave them to someone who would appreciate them so much, good for you kiddo! Wow!
Just in case you weren't aware, there are pattern books for all three volumes of the encyclopedias!
Hugs Squirrelly

frstech Posted 7 Jan 2006 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 23

well bust my balloon squirrellycakes, now I have to look for patternbooks !!! HEE HEE HEE, thats ok, I am up for the challenge !! thanks for that bit of info !!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 12:15am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by frstech

well bust my balloon squirrellycakes, now I have to look for patternbooks !!! HEE HEE HEE, thats ok, I am up for the challenge !! thanks for that bit of info !!

Heehee, well sorry kiddo, but some of them you might really like to have. Some of the pages will refer to the patterns. The first volume in its original edition, does not but they are available. Wilton came out with them awhile after the books went into print. Usually you can find them eventually on E-bay, they may be copies though. They come in a cardboard folder and the colour of the folder and print, corresponds to the colour of the volume's hardback. So the green folder has pages with green print and so on. Otherwise they are photocopied which doesn't matter unless you are a collector. There is a front page inside with a list of all of the patterns and which page in the hardcopy they correspond to.
Hugs Squirrelly

frstech Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 12:26am
post #12 of 23

thanks for all the info, squirrellycakes!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 12:36am
post #13 of 23

You are very welcome, I guess you realize these books are worth several hundred dollars right, so this was a really nice gesture! I would hate to tell you what I paid for mine, haha, I will never tell the hubby! And I don't have all the books you got, you lucky caker!
Hugs Green With Envy!

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 12:37am
post #14 of 23

Hi Everyone: I have the original books since I purchased them back in the late '70's and early 80's. I also had the pattern books but in all of my moves I can't find them. Are the patterns to the books definitely on ebay? I would love to have them again. Thanks for any help I can get. Vicki0052.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 12:38am
post #15 of 23

I am with Squirrelly - I am green with envy too - Good for you though!!! thumbs_up.gif

frstech Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 12:38am
post #16 of 23

I do realize their monetary worth, but they mean so much more than that to us cake decorators !!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 12:45am
post #17 of 23

How fortunate of you! You are one lucky person....congratulations.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 1:29am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki0052

Hi Everyone: I have the original books since I purchased them back in the late '70's and early 80's. I also had the pattern books but in all of my moves I can't find them. Are the patterns to the books definitely on ebay? I would love to have them again. Thanks for any help I can get. Vicki0052.

Yes Vicki, they are from time to time, you really have to keep your eyes open. That was the only place I could get them, the used book dealers and brokers do not usually carry them.
Hugs Squirrelly

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 1:36am
post #19 of 23

hiya frstech,
you might just try and see if someone on freecycle has it (them). ya never know!! happy happy hunting.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 4:32am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

hiya frstech,
you might just try and see if someone on freecycle has it (them). ya never know!! happy happy hunting.

You know, with her good fortune, you may very well be right!
Hugs Squirrelly

frstech Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 3:20pm
post #21 of 23

chaptlps & squirrellycakes,

Thanks for the freecycle idea. I had no idea what you ment until I goolged !! Now i have my self on the list for this area !!

thanks again guys !!!

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 3:32pm
post #22 of 23

That great what a wonderful gift. enjoy!!

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 8 Jan 2006 , 3:36pm
post #23 of 23

Wow! That's a great birthday present. I hope I get the same birthday present!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%