The Confession Thread

Decorating By daranaco Updated 17 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm by TheKookieWench

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 4:33am
post #181 of 204

I always lick the batter, but not icing, off my beaters. It's not proper clean-up if I don't. My only concession to that is when my granddaughters (5 and 7) are here, then they get them. If my dd happens to be here then she gets the beater or the batter bowl. She's 33 now but I tink if she didn't get to lick one or the other she'd cry.

I taste my icing as I make it to assure the taste and texture are as I want it, but I just toss the utensils in the hot soapy water. Good to have that water in the sink already so I can toss things in I need to resist.

The tops off cakes are a favorite of dh and I. They never go in the trash unless he's out of town. Then I might have a few bites then toss the rest.

I enjoy the baking part of doing cakes. I find it pretty relaxing. After reading this thread for a while last night I told him I wouldn't mind doing the baking for someone who didn't like doing it.

***** I'd like to get together with other cake decorators to share ideas and techniques and have fun with decorating. Unfortunately there are no cake clubs around my area. I'd make a drive for it. There are other cc decorators in Kansas but guess we're pretty spread out. Any of you other Kansas decorators interested? I see a lot of talent out there. I've SEEN your photos!!! And I have Missouri decorators circled on my atlas too!!

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 4:35am
post #182 of 204

I, too, don't like cake or icing. I like Bettercream better, but still don't care for cake. Gimme ice cream...

I am also scared to death of my first wedding cake. I have done a few dummies, but SO not the same as the real thing. I have gotten a few requests to do wedding cakes, but dh keeps talking me out of it... now its been so long, i am just freaked about it. now i have to do a 50th wedding anniversary for grandparents-in-law, and nothing is ever good enough for them... AND my MIL made their 25-year cake and doesn't ever think i can do anything as well as she can... deep breaths... I have until June...

I also hate it when one of my friends wants to watch me decorate.. i get very nervous and feel like they are judging my technique... but they don't really know anything about decorating, so they really arent... its just me.

KCsmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCsmom98 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 4:46am
post #183 of 204

OT!

Lilypie, just wanted to tell you that your little boy is adorable. (if that's him in your avatar). that smile is priceless. Too cute!!

Jen

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:47am
post #184 of 204

I have one. It's kind of gross.

I made a chocolate ganache once. My husband put the tips in a bowl to soak and they sat there so long that they started to stink. They stank so bad that I couldn't go in the kitchen. It was HORRIBLE.

Rachel

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:04pm
post #185 of 204

Jen - that is my youngest son, Squishy. He is a little older now, so he has teeth in his smile, but it has lost none of its brilliance. Thanks!

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 8:27pm
post #186 of 204

I had to add another confession today...

I looked at my treadmill. Know what's sitting on it?

ALL my cake supply bins. Bwahahahaha. Kinda counterproductive, eh?

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:16pm
post #187 of 204

OMG, cupcake13, that is sooo funny!

I hate trying to figure out how much of each consistency and color of icing to make. I try to make more than what I think I need. I usually end up having just enough...so close it's scary. I am hoping that practice will help me with this. I want to have a little extra, in case something gets damaged or in case I want to eat it!!! Just started using bigger pans and have not got used to the increase in icing yet...I think that's my main problem.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:06pm
post #188 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakerer

OK..this is terrible...but here goes...
As soon as I started baking, I lost the ability to 'cook'. I haven't cooked dinner for my husband in about a month (& at least a month before that), but I baked & decorated 3 dozen cookies last night & a pineapple cake for a customer. Go figure....

Dinner tonight = Rancho Grande

OMG I thought I was the only one! Before my passion landed on Cake Decorating, I was obsessed with gourmet cooking. I have sooo many cookbooks, and I lived on Food Network. I had cooking wines special utensils and knew all the lingo. NOW... It's ready to eat stuff or take out! And my family hardly ever gets any of the goodies, they only get to see them. I feel soooo bad because they used to have gourmet meals. Now they're lucky if they get franks and beans. icon_redface.gif But my Daughter is becoming quite the pinch cook though!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

(by the way...any one interested in purchasing some gourmet cookbooks off ebay so I can buy some more cake stuff???) LOL icon_lol.gif

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 11:50pm
post #189 of 204

I'm just a huge procrastinator and ALWAYS wait until the last minute to decorate a cake, cupcakes, etc for an event, then I come up with a gazillion excuses as to why I had to hurry & the sweets don't look their best icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:09am
post #190 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxcop1

The WORST?? The BIG ONE? I never mention CC to any of my cake buddies. It's my secret weapon![/size]--Knox--Suddenly I feel so....so...."clean." icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

ME TOO!!!! I also just generally reference the internet!!! I so is a secret weapon!!!

Michelle

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:17am
post #191 of 204

my confession..................buying cake pans and Wilton yearbooks on e-bay..... I really have to start baking and selling cakes to pay for all this! Thankfully my husband does not go in that closet.......... icon_surprised.gif

Michelle104 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 1:26am
post #192 of 204

New one....DH is on nights...living room and kitchen are a wreck....I'm watching my nephew who is 23 months old.....girls are watching Disney while I am on CC!!!! Toys all over the place...turn around, look at nephew and his whole bottom half of his face is hot pink!! Coffee table is hot pink and my little snowman figure on the hearth is also spotted with pink. I heard something scraping on the table but COULDN'T look because I am surfing the forums! JUST ONE MORE....JUST ONE MORE!!!! He got into one of the DD purse, got the lipstick and used the entire tube!!!!! Oh well, what are you gonna do except laugh!!!! lOL

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 3:36pm
post #193 of 204

I thought of another confession. I bought a hand mixer, but i never use it for baking..... it is only used for mashed potatoes icon_redface.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 3:59pm
post #194 of 204

OK, my turn now...

I would choose a freshly baked loaf of bread any time any day over a piece of cake.

And I would never even think of covering a 12" cake or larger without my DH help. I love the look of fondant but I´m a wreck when it comes to covering the cake. DH is a GREAT helper and couldn´t do it without him... BUT when it is time to take credit for it... icon_twisted.gif oh yeah, mine, all mine. He loves me though icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady5 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 4:17pm
post #195 of 204

here's a doozie! I work supply, and every morning I pray that the phone won't ring and I don't have to go in... so that I can spend most of the day on cc! I am happiest when the kids are at school, the house is quiet, I have the hum of the computer and the creations of people all around the world at my finger tips. I haven't made a cake in a couple of weeks, but that is ok because I can share in all of yours! My family thinks I am obsessed! Have a great day - happy cc-ing! icon_biggrin.gif

shortcake2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcake2 Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 4:34pm
post #196 of 204

I LOVE left over cake batter. I always try to bake the cakes when the kids or DH aren't around so I don't have to share (I'm an only child, I grew up not having to share the cake batter. It's a hard habit to break.) I also love cookie dough better than the cookies. Sometimes we make that just to snack on in the evening. Brownie batter is yummy too.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #197 of 204

ok, so I really don't care for cake and I never let anyone watch when I make bc icing. Crisco is just too gross. I'm also a clean freak until it comes to decorating. I intentionally don't clean as I go so my husband jumps in and does the clean up for me. If only I could teach him to do the bakeing too. That may be pushing it.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 21 Feb 2007 , 4:46pm
post #198 of 204

Ok here is mine........... I'm so embarrassed I even hate to write it out icon_redface.gif

I love cake from the grocery store. Sometimes I even go and buy just one slice and eat it when no one knows. But only the white cake with white frosting.

Ok there I said it...................*running back to bed to hide under the covers*

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 2:39am
post #199 of 204

I love to bake when I am angry. I like to bake all of the time but I love to bake when I am angry and for some reason it always comes out great that way.

I also hate sweets. When I started my diet program (weight loss study, LOVE IT) I lost all taste for sugar. My DH, DD and sisters co-workers are my guinnea pigs. If they like it then it is all good.

I guess my biggest confession is that I NEVER try what I bake! icon_redface.gif

Michelle104 Posted 22 Feb 2007 , 5:03am
post #200 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcake2

I also love cookie dough better than the cookies. Sometimes we make that just to snack on in the evening. Brownie batter is yummy too.

Me too! I forgot about that one! Sometimes, when DH is working evenings, I'll make a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and my 3 girls and me will camp out in front of American Idol and eat it all gone!!! LOL icon_lol.gif

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:52pm
post #201 of 204

Okay. Here's one that's a little bizarre, but here goes...I was in the kitchen and foodnetwork was on in the den. I heard the sound of what I thought sounded like a piping bag crinkling and hurried into the den to see what it was. It was Ina Garten piping cupcakes. I love the crinkling sound of piping bags when I'm tipping and filling the bag! icon_rolleyes.gif I know...a bit weird. icon_confused.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 4:13pm
post #202 of 204

I think my favorite post so far is the cake supplies on the treadmill! Our treadmill is buried too right now, but just with regular junk LOL.

My confession is I have a bunch of stuff I bought when Hobby Lobby had Wilton stuff 50% off still sitting in the bags unopened.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 6:33pm
post #203 of 204

My confession, if it weren't for the joy that my cakes give other people (they are easy to please) I would NEVER do another decorated cake again! I don't love to bake (or cook for that matter), I hate the cleaning part, and I hate how my hands turn fire red when I decorate (cross between an insane number of handwashings and a weird allergic reaction to buttercream)...but I just dont know how to say no......

TheKookieWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKookieWench Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #204 of 204

I just stumbled across this and had a good laugh reading everyone's "confessions." It may be a little late but I have a few of my own to share.

1. I very seldom eat what I bake. I like to do it but I will only eat a forkful....enough to make sure the flavor is there and it's moist.

2. I'm so not a chocolate lover and can't stand the following: chocolate cake, brownies or ice cream. When I made my first chocolate cake, I tried to taste test a piece of it and could barely get it down it was so gross! Mom sometimes wonder how am I her daughter (she believes that death by chocolate is the only way to die) and people wonder how can I be a woman and not love chocolate?

3. I will make chocolate chip cookies loaded with toasted walnut chunks all day long for my friends but I can't eat them because I'm highly allergic to them. That, and I just never cared for them. As a matter of fact, I don't like most nuts!

4. I love, love, looooooove cake batter. I'd rather eat that than the actual cake. Even worse? I prefer DH cake batter over the one that I make from scratch!

5. I hate the fact that my decorating sucks. My aunt tells me that it's a work in progress and will take time but I'm so impatient that I want to be there, like yesterday.

6. I love it when people want me to bake something for them but get so nervous when I give them the finished product. I'm so hard on myself and I just automatically think they aren't going to like it (which is why I hardly charge, especially if they've never tasted it). With that said....

7. I think I'm hot stuff when they tell me that my cakes/cookies are the best they've ever had. Take that Wal-Mart and Schnucks bakery!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%