What Is Everyones "real" Job?

Lounge By hammer1 Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm by ECC12

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #241 of 573

I am a purchasing/shipping clerk for an art gallery chain.

uabcjgrad2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uabcjgrad2006 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #242 of 573

I am a grants management coordinator for a local law enforcemnt agency. I lead Girls in Action at my church and children's choir. I'm in the adult music ministry and a member of the praise and solo teams. icon_smile.gif

irish559 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irish559 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm
post #243 of 573

Newbie here chiming in....I'm a pharmaceutical sales rep by day, but a CC addict by night. Discovered this site a few months ago and it has consumed most of my free time! I can only hope to one day create some of the amazing cakes I've seen on here.

Sandi1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi1984 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #244 of 573

I am a behavior therapist and ABA therapist for children with mental disorders, specializing in children with Autism. My family back in Kansas owns a bakery and grew up baking and always made cookies, just started getting into cakes and I LOVE this site!!

January202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
January202 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #245 of 573

Very interesting thread...nice to learn more about the artists behind some really neat cakes.

I'm a social worker on a full time basis, and I also work part time doing crisis intervention/counseling. In the fall I will be starting my MSW on a part-time basis!!! (So EXCITED!)

I started making cakes for my family (I come from a large family) and they kinda liked what I was doing. So I took some Wilton classes, and learned a ton from Cake Central...Any cakes/cupcakes I make for others are done for a donation to the Baby Fund - The Baby Fund, as I call it, is so my husband and I can pay for fertility treatment...we've been trying for 4 years now, and nothing...so my friends and coworkers "donate" to our Fund and once we have enough money saved, we will go ahead with the treatment. Until then, I spoil my two nephews and my niece! And they already know that I am the one in the family who does all the birthday cakes, so they come to me to let me know what kind of birthday cake they want.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #246 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1

yes tonedna i can see that you really are a wedding cake designer. beautiful pictures. i may have never looked if i had kep reading that other thread. thanks for adding to this one.

and cookie man, thanks for joining this one and adding to it, i bet you are correct, we all have seen, read or used your work for something.
hammer1

Passing by again...icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #247 of 573

Hello!! I am a SAHM and am also currently in training to become a BGI Home Agent for DirecTV. I have two beautiful girls, 10 and 5.

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #248 of 573

I am a Quality analyst. I work in a factory setting were we produce absorbent material that goes into adult incontenance, female products and hosptial pads. I do the testing for the product. We work shift wok here but when my testing is done which can take 10 mins per hour I am on CC or just surfing the web.

On my off time I am usually taking my daughter to gymnastics 3x a week, piano, tennis, dance and soccer thru out the week. If I can't take her my husband does it. We work in the same place but on different shifts we've been doing this for 5yrs.

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:00pm
post #249 of 573

I SELL INDUSTRIAL PIPE, VALVES AND FITTINGS

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #250 of 573

Full time high school art teacher with 2 little ones at home (4 & 1yo). Guess the artist in me has led me to be a jack of all trades since I like cake decorating, photography, sewing/quilting, drawing/painting, crocheting, knitting, interior decorating, etc.

Haven't had time to read the whole thread yet (but planning to) so I hope I'm not repeating anything but can anyone relate to this?.....
Each time people find out or notice that I am good at something, I hear "Wow, you could do that for extra $" or "You should quit teaching to do xyz." Sooo tired of hearing it! I like my fixed monthly income and secure retirement. I will continue to dabble in my assorted arts when I can to increase my skills and will probably get do more cake or photography 'jobs' for people during summers once my kids are older...but that's a ways off!...of course there's always retirement...that's a LOOOONG way off...LOL!!! Hijack over...thanks for the mini-vent!

Christie

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #251 of 573

Ok, this is a great thread! Lots of talented people who do so many other things as well!

I am mother of 2 beautiful girls 5 and 3. I work from home full time as a life insurance underwriter. Before children I was a high school English teacher.
I bake usually evenings and weekends when I have spare time. Hahahaha!
I actually started out doing cookies first, and then thanks to CC tried out a birthday cake using a FBCT last year and discovered that I love it. I'm not any good at decorating yet, but I keep promising myself I will keep practicing and I will get better.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
post #252 of 573

My husband and I treat kids with autism. It's a very rewarding job, but can be difficult as well. So, making cakes is a nice release.

I am also the proud mum of 2 boys, ages 7 and 4.

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #253 of 573

Past life #1 (20's) - computer programmer
Past life #2 (early 30's)- film and tv producer
Current life (mid 30's) - work at home mom owner coolsportpix.com and hobby cake decorator
Future life - bakery owner and cake decorator

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #254 of 573

I'm the Executive Assistant to the CFO, and a mom of 2 beautiful girls ages 9 1/2 & 7 1/2. And then there's my "Big Kid" - my wonderful DH. About 4 years ago, I took a few Wilton classes to get me started. I mostly do cakes for family and friends and occassionally I will get "hired" to make/decorate a cake. I did a bunch last spring, and then lapsed into "cake burnout". I'm slowly recovering from that and starting to decorate again.....

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #255 of 573

ladixiechic1 - we have such feminine, lady like jobs don't we! icon_rolleyes.gif I love it how most everyone on here has interesting, normal jobs that you wouldn't be too surprised to have, then you run across you & me. Industrial pipe fittings & Construction equipment! icon_lol.gif Cakerators come in all forms don't we?! thumbs_up.gif

RebekahR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebekahR Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #256 of 573

I'm a Financial Services Officer at a credit union. I make loans, open new accounts, member service, etc.

I'm fairly new to cake decorating and brand new to this site (which I love)! My grandmother started decorating cakes about 26 years ago right after my parents got married. When I was little and spending the weekend with her, she would bake an 8 in. round each for my younger sister and me. She would let us decorate them however we wanted. As I got older, I got more into it and decided to start taking classes. The really special thing though is after I took my first cake decorating class last year, she gave me her very first cake pan she ever bought! It was a sheet cake pan that was older than me!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:20pm
post #257 of 573

I work f/t at a hotel, front desk, housekeeping, breakfast, maintence (jake of all trades). I do my baking when ever I get a day off. I make my icing the day I decorate unless I know my buttercream thiefs are coming over and I make extra large a day or two before so they can take it home with them. (Unless of course I am making red or black.)

Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:20pm
post #258 of 573

Property Administrator, but am definitely feeling its time for a change!!
You all inspire me so much - who knew there was such diversity to be found in cakerators!!

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm
post #259 of 573

hammer1 - I love your pic, but my DH & I can't figure out waht it is you are doing. At least I assume it is a pic of you? icon_confused.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:42pm
post #260 of 573

I work full time as a CPA for a university in NY. I work for a at a well known vegan bakery on Saturdays only. I completed my baking and diploma certification from ICES on weekends. Also wife, mother to triplets, and 2 pugs.

Every 2nd weekend I am booked for weddings until June. I love cake decorating on the side. It is a great hobby. Also I hang out with my cake decorating teachers from ICE once a month to learn the latest cake decorating techniques.

Bunniefluf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunniefluf Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:56pm
post #261 of 573

I am an Industrial Engineer; specifically, I am a Cost Estimator for various Department of Defense weapon systems.

For as much as I enjoy cake decorating, I don't think I could give up my day job! I *love* what I do, and I *love* supporting the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines through my work with them!! I don't currently have children, but often wonder if I'd be able to give up the job once one comes along?!?! I tell ya...I think it'll be a toss up!! LOL! (perhaps I can find a man interested in being a "mr. mom" ?? icon_rolleyes.gif )

I have two four-legged fur-children that keep me quite active! I also moonlight, on occasion, as a product demonstrator...either in shows, at high-profile parties, on a runway, or in front of the camera. It's an interesting way to make quick money!

As for cakes, I make those during the evening whenever I have an "order"; otherwise, if it's just because then I'll either do it Thursday night or over the weekend (if I'm not too busy.) icon_smile.gif

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #262 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayanami

hammer1 - I love your pic, but my DH & I can't figure out waht it is you are doing. At least I assume it is a pic of you? icon_confused.gif

LOL you got me wondering so I went and checked it out. Looks like she is throwing a shot put.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #263 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1

cookie man you need a cookie avatar. your cookies are beautiful.
hammer1

Thanks Hammer1! That's so nice of you! I used to have an avatar when I was originally on this site a few years ago, but I don't know what happened to it. I've tried resizing photos of my cookies to fit, but I can never get them to upload. Oh well.

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #264 of 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayanami

LOL you got me wondering so I went and checked it out. Looks like she is throwing a shot put.

This topic caught my interest ...watched my godchild compete at state track meet last year. I am not familiar with it but he does compete in the hammer throw. Is that what your avatar pic shows hammer1?

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #265 of 573

I am a SAHM of 3 beautiful kids. In my former life I was a physical therapist. I am also a p90x addict!

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:42pm
post #266 of 573

I used to be a supervisor at the local Unemployment office. I was in the department that handled individuals on federal assistance (food stamps, TANF, etc.). I did that for a little over eight years and then decided that was not the place for me anymore. I stayed at home for a couple of months and now just work for my friend at her furniture store while my kids are in school. Much nicer!!!

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:08pm
post #267 of 573

I'm an RNBN working full time and more in the adult emergency department of a tertiary care hospital that specializes in trauma and neurology. I love my job, but I love decorating cakes and baking too! icon_smile.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #268 of 573

not me in the avatar- that is my daughter- she is throwing the 20 pound weight throw- she is a thrower for Ashland university, ohio. she throws the wt throw, shot put, discus, hammer. she is a 5 time all amerian last year in the ncaa. she is the National divison II champion in the weight throw which is in the picture. go to google and watch a few people throw weight or hammer. it is a sport of strength and technique. her coach is 5 time hammer olympic thrower jud logan.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #269 of 573

Hi Everyone....My real job is a caseworker for Child and Family services...I work with foster kids...it's a life consuming job but can be so rewarding....I love it!! Caking is my therapy!!!

Lu

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #270 of 573

I'm the Marine Operatons Assistant for a global seismic company. Basically the department I'm in deals with our vessels that are out exploring for oil deposits under the ocean floor.
(trust me, it sounds more exciting than it really is)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%