I made the Butterscotch Whipped Cream according to Purdy’s recipe but it did not work as a filling or coating as it was not stiff enough (could have been me who made it too soft). So I decided to add egg whites to it and it became a delicious mousse.
I recommend putting this on carrot cake or spice cake.
- 1.5 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Stir it well to soften and partially dissolve the sugar. Whip stif.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites stiff. Fold the egg whites into the cream.
- Let the mousse sit in the fridge for about an hour to let it stiffen up.
- A cake filled and frosted with this will need to remain refrigerated until ready to serve.