Cake Dummies - Found An Inexpensive Online Store!

Decorating By ChrisJ Updated 22 Feb 2007 , 5:44am by pampered

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 34

Hi CC members!

I wanted to share this IN-EXPENSIVE online store I found last week for cake dummies. I ordered them late last week & received them today.

I bought the set of 5 rounds, each dummy 4" in height. The sizes were 6", 8", 10", 12" and 14" and paid only $12.99 for the entire set! I also bought the whimsical/topsy turvy 3-piece set, sizes 14", 10" & 6" which was $19.25 for the set. The shipping is also reasonable.

They have heart shapes, ovals, petal, square, & hexagon shapes.

I can't wait to start playing icon_smile.gif

Christina

http://www.taylorfoam.com/taylorfoam_com/cakedummies/

33 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 34

Thanks!!
This is another one: www.dallasfoam.com. They look about the same?

ChrisJ Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 34

mjs4492, I couldn't bring up the dallasfoam.com site.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 34

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I couldn't either. Don't know what I did wrong but a friend of mine gets all of hers there. Maybe do a google for "dallas foam"? They have different heights that is nice and like the one you gave, different sets.

It's Dallas Foam, Inc.

Botanesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Botanesis Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 34

SWEET!!!

howie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howie Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 34

thanks so much! i just looked at it and im about to make a purchase!!

MG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 34

I checked and the website is www.dallas-foam.com. You have to use the hyphen between dallas and foam. I ordered from them and was very happy with their prices and shipping costs. The only thing is you have to call them for a shipping quote but they're very helpful.

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 34

I placed an order from Dallas Foam last month and they have pretty good prices and very good customer service.Here a picture of what I got for $13.67 (like 15 dummies and S/H was $11.71, I live in NY).In other places I only can have like 3 or 4 dummies for that price.
LL

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 34

I just compared both sites - looks like Dallas Foam sells the dummies separately, but Taylor Foam sells sets (and I guess individuals as well - didn't look too hard). Just for fun, I priced the equivalent of Taylor's round and square sets at the Dallas site...here's how they compare:

Round (6", 8", 10", 12", 14"): $12.99 for the set at Taylor, $9.88 total at Dallas

Square (same sizes): $12.99 for the set at Taylor, $8.12 total at Dallas.

BUT...by the time I added in the shipping (and Dallas does have a link to calculate shipping costs based on zip code), the grand totals came up to $38.33 at Taylor and $38.30 at Dallas.

I didn't play around with any other combinations, but for ordering a round & a square set, either site costs about the same!

Just thought I'd share.

ChrisJ Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by afolk

I just compared both sites - looks like Dallas Foam sells the dummies separately, but Taylor Foam sells sets (and I guess individuals as well - didn't look too hard). Just for fun, I priced the equivalent of Taylor's round and square sets at the Dallas site...here's how they compare:

Round (6", 8", 10", 12", 14"): $12.99 for the set at Taylor, $9.88 total at Dallas

BUT...by the time I added in the shipping (and Dallas does have a link to calculate shipping costs based on zip code), the grand totals came up to $38.33 at Taylor and $38.30 at Dallas.

I didn't play around with any other combinations, but for ordering a round & a square set, either site costs about the same!

Just thought I'd share.

It's always good to have more than 1 place to shop. Thanks for sharing.

Tennille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tennille Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 34

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Oh, I wish this would have been posted about a week earlier. I just placed an order for a bunch of cake dummies. I suppose the UPS man delivered them today!! I'll remember for the next order. Thanks for sharing.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 34

Probabuly a Dumb (lol) question. What do you use the dummies for?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 34

practice! LOL

Also, if you have a storefront and want to set up many displays, you would use dummies, not real cake that would get gross and attract critters.

Some competitions also allow dummy cakes to be covered as well, some do not.

Epi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Epi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 34

This looks interesting. I will check it out thank you.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:11pm
post #15 of 34

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered the square and round sets from Taylor Foam. I can't wait to get my new "toys".

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:27pm
post #16 of 34

I wish I would have had this information about 2 weeks ago. I made my own heart shape dummy and it wasn't fun. My hot glue gun and I had a fight and I think it won. Oh well, thanks for the info, it will definitely come in handy later!

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:29pm
post #17 of 34

icon_sad.gif Only to the US....Sometimes I hate where I live. icon_sad.gif

ChrisJ Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecakesbylindsay

I've noticed that a lot of companies do not ship outside of the U.S., does anybody know why? Is shipping really that much more? icon_confused.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:40pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecakesbylindsay

I've noticed that a lot of companies do not ship outside of the U.S., does anybody know why? Is shipping really that much more? icon_confused.gif

Yes it is cost more and each country has different shipping requirements. For example the package can only be a certain size. I shipped a 10lb box and it cost $28.00. (to Australia)

Also there might be a duty the customer has to pay.

moydear77 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:43pm
post #20 of 34

And that was surface 4-6 weeks!

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:47pm
post #21 of 34

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Are these the ones you don't have to cover before frosting, etc...????? icon_biggrin.gif Sometimes it really pays to procrastinate!!! icon_cool.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:49pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by afolk

Just thought I'd share.

Where does one calculate the costs? I can't find a link for that on the website.

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 12:46am
post #23 of 34

I think when you add items to your cart the next page shows you the total and just under the total amount it says: To calculate shipping for this order click here.Hope it helps.

afolk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afolk Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 1:35am
post #24 of 34

Yep - that's what I did to get the shipping costs. If you just put stuff in your shopping cart, it lets you calculate shipping.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #25 of 34

Just that I'd mention that I also sell cake dummies. There is a list of supplies that I carry on my website, www.crawfordscreations.com. I accept PayPal and charge ACTUAL shipping.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 1:51am
post #26 of 34

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Sarah

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:52am
post #27 of 34

I'm not sure if anyone knows about this site, but I think their prices are even cheaper.

http://www.taylorfoam.com/taylorfoam_com/cakedummies/item.nhtml?profile=cakedummies&UID=102

Shipping for the set is only about $10.

moydear77 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:58am
post #28 of 34

There individuals seem more expensive than dallas.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:11pm
post #29 of 34

I would have ordered from Dallas-Foam, but by the time I added in shipping (of nearly $26.00), it was cheaper to buy them from my local store! Although their individual prices were higher, I still saved money in the long run! Too bad I don't live closer to them (and I wouldn't be snowed in right now)!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:20pm
post #30 of 34

Thanks for the great information!!

Here's a link that should work: www.dallas-foam.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%