Scratch Cake Recipe Replacment For Boxed Mix Recipe

Baking By tootiefruity Updated 17 Nov 2022 , 2:00pm by kakeladi

tootiefruity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootiefruity Posted 15 Nov 2022 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 4

Good morning fellow bakers,

It's been a while since I've been on the site. However, I have been, suddenly, having a problem with the recipe I created back in 2017, which has been working just fine. All of a sudden, my cake is not baking properly; i.e.: at all, after over an hour. I never had to bake my cakes that long. I'm pretty sure it's probably my over, once again, but my significant other doesn't want to hear that.  Then, a marshmallow fondant recipe I recently obtained, and prepared successfully the first time, all of a sudden went crazy. Sugar beads, and well, that's probably all I need to say. LOL!!! I made a second batch, which did the same thing. Then, switched back to the original recipe, minus the Wilton Fondant I didn't have, and it seems OK, but haven't messed with it today, yet. Had to take granddaughter to school this morning.

I'm a home baker, so not sure if it's the flour, too much salt, which I just discovered I had written on my recipe at double what should be using; but, as I mentioned above, the recipe has been working correctly since 2017, and more recently, in the last couple of months.

So, does anyone have any thoughts that haven't crossed my mind yet?  Thanks for listening.  Have a great day!

Fran, Cake Designs by Fran

3 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 15 Nov 2022 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 4

All I can say in your defense is that the quality of mostly everything is just down the road! No money to spend in training and quality control. Manufacturers are saving money using the worst possible quality ingredients and all kind of "shortcuts" in manufacturing prcoedures ... do not blame yourself. The hard part is that all those full proof recipes that you have been using for years... will never work the same!

Patience my dear, put a smile on your face, change that dirty apron... say a prayer and keep baking!

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 16 Nov 2022 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 4

Interesting because I too noticed I vaked a cake the other day with self rising flour and my cake sank and I never had this issue and I was wondering about the quality of the flour. I did try a different brand but it is a good brand. I am thinking on the lines of the other comment that it has to be the quality if the ingredients. I am thinking Bob Mill brand may be better? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2022 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 4

You mention it could be the oven,….do you use a good quality thermometer in the oven?  That might be some place to start.   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%