How Much Would You Charge For A 85-90 Serving Wedding Cake?

Baking By Paolabeck Updated 24 Apr 2021 , 1:58am by MamaGeese

Paolabeck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paolabeck Posted 27 Mar 2021 , 12:04am
post #1 of 8

I just recently got asked if I could do a wedding cake for next year. 

I have never made a cake that big, so I’m thinking on doing a 14, 11 and a 7 in? Is that enough? 

Also, help with pricing , how much do you think I should charge for this!? 

How Much Would You Charge For A 85-90 Serving Wedding Cake?

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Mar 2021 , 12:48am
post #2 of 8

Pricing is dependent upon a million things, but my starting price is $4 per serving, which is what I would charge for this cake with no add-ons, since the flowers are real.

There are dozens of cake serving charts on the internet.  Just Google Cake Serving Charts and pick the one you like best.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Mar 2021 , 12:48am
post #3 of 8

Pricing is dependent upon a million things, but my starting price is $4 per serving, which is what I would charge for this cake with no add-ons, since the flowers are real.

There are dozens of cake serving charts on the internet.  Just Google Cake Serving Charts and pick the one you like best.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Mar 2021 , 2:41am
post #4 of 8

I agree with Sandra.  There are sooo many different factors that effect pricing including cost of all ingredients, packaging, car licenses, fuel, taxes, equipment like mixer, tools, lessons, and on & on.   You need to  know what you will use as a base price.  It will be different for every person.  Our suggestions might not be enough or can be way too much— only you can figure out what you are worth.    Also pricing 6 months to a year ahead can be troublesome. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Mar 2021 , 2:41am
post #5 of 8

I agree with Sandra.  There are sooo many different factors that effect pricing including cost of all ingredients, packaging, car licenses, fuel, taxes, equipment like mixer, tools, lessons, and on & on.   You need to  know what you will use as a base price.  It will be different for every person.  Our suggestions might not be enough or can be way too much— only you can figure out what you are worth.    Also pricing 6 months to a year ahead can be troublesome. 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 27 Mar 2021 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 8

I also think your estimate in terms of portions is off... just the 14in bottom tier will serve 78 guests! Actually, a 12-9-6 will already serve more than 100 guests, and trust me it will be waaaay easier to bake, decorate and handle than the one you have in mind!

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 8

bump

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 24 Apr 2021 , 1:58am
post #8 of 8

This was the main factor in giving up my Cottage License....not knowing how to charge! So many variables. In a small town people have no clue how much it costs or how much work is involved. I got so sick of the negotiating, people wanting the best, but not willing to pay for it. People cancelling orders at the last minute, because Aunt Bertha said she'd make a cake... Sometimes turning a hobby into a business is not a good idea. I put my blood sweat and tears into every cake, and I refuse to cut corners, so back to hobby baking for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%