Wedding Cake/cupcakes And Timing

Baking By tal Updated 15 Mar 2021 , 9:24pm by -K8memphis

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 7 Feb 2021 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 46

Hello fellow bakers,

I am baking a simple two tier cake and 200 cupcakes for May 1 wedding.  I have done wedding cakes before and cupcakes but never at same time.

could anyone help me with timing as far as when to start cake, start cupcakes and decorating?

my thought was make frosting weekend before

bake cake wed and freeze then decorate fri morn

bake cupcakes all day thurs and decorate all fay fri after i finish the cake?

Thoughts or better idea?  Thank you so much☺️

45 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2021 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 46

I like it -- but are you fast? 

what kinda decor on the cake?

tal Posted 8 Feb 2021 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 46

Am I fast? Haha good question.....I have a system and have done cakes for many years but never cake and cuppies together.  

cake very simple - knife swirl design and real flowers (placed on at reception) 8” and 6”

never froze cakes before - only refrig

tal Posted 8 Feb 2021 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 46

Cupcakes simple round tip swirl with sprinkles.  choc and vanilla cake/choc and van bc

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2021 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 46

freezing holds cake well --

I like that you're doing the cuppies last minute like that for freshness --

I think your plan is quite solid -- you could freeze the cake earlier if you wanted -- when I freeze my cakes I assembly them into gifts so all I have to do is whip them out, ice & decorate --

I think your plan is great

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2021 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 46

Follow up to what K8 said—- bake at ANY time from now onward.  Cool before wrapping in plastic. Remove from fzr to fridge or counter night before wanting to work on them.  OR do as she said- fill ‘ stack layers into the tiers & Can even crumb coat, freeze an hr or 2then wrap well to store in fzr more than a day or two 

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2021 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 46

oh my, kakladi read my mind -- this tablet has a firm will of it's own on what I want to say -- what kakeladi picked up on is that I meant "i assemble them into tiers" (not gifts) before freezing -- even though we've never met face to face she knows my work habits and i know hers from being on here forever 

thank you, lynne!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2021 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 46

(the spell check demon on my tablet)

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Feb 2021 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 46

You can also bake and freeze your cupcakes a week before. I know many wedding cupcakes are in “fancy” cupcake liners. I had to do 2 doz cupcakes + a wedding cake several years ago. Trick is to bake in inexpensive plain white grocery store muffin/cupcake liners. When I thawed out my cupcakes, I removed the cheapie liners. I piped a dollop of icing in the bottom of the fancy liners, then a few dots of icing in the middle of the outside of the cupcake. Pop cupcake into liner. Press liner all around to secure. Let cupcakes sit for a minute or two, then pipe your top as usual. Hope this helps. ❤️

tal Posted 16 Feb 2021 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 46

Everyone THANK YOU!  K8.....I have never frozen my cakes before longer than a week...I soooo worry that they won't be fresh - Yikes!  But I realize doing this alone with that many plus a cake is a real time crunch...what is the best way to freeze these babies????

jchuck - great idea!  Still trying to figure out how I want to make them look nice - she wants lace wraps which is fine....but doesn't the clean nice liners 'bunch' up around the cake even with icing??? 

tal Posted 16 Feb 2021 , 2:37pm
post #11 of 46

do you double wrap in plastic and then foil? I've seen posts where some do plastic, foil and place in foil wrapped box?

tal Posted 16 Feb 2021 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 46

Have another question on a bulk chocolate frosting recipe....any suggestions?  Hate to use too much cocoa powder - don't want the grainy taste/texture even if I sift first....

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Feb 2021 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 46

I've only done this with Swiss Meringue White Chocolate Buttercream, but I made the meringue as usual, melted white chocolate and let it cool to room temperature, then added it to the meringue-butter mixture.  You could use melted chocolate to boost the chocolate flavor without adding excess cocoa powder.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2021 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 46

I got my cakes assembled into tiers then double wrapped them in plastic then slid those into those roasting bags y’know for turkeys because you know it’s food safe — I would tape two together if needed — and you can reuse them —

I could fit a four or five tier in a freezer in an average above the fridge freezer — freeze the middle tiers solid then place the largest tier on top of that — there’s lots of room in there — I never used boxes, takes u too much room — 

when I defrosted, I immediately unwrapped the cakes and brushed off the ice crystals before they could melt into the cake — then I iced them while still frozen — rarely, but if it made the icing seize I just waited ten minutes till it thawed a little more — started on another one in the meantime — 

and for brown chocolate icing you can’t beat the recipe on the hershey cocoa can called perfectly perfect — recipe is online too — prefect proportions 

whipped ganache is lovely too but it always was streaky for me, the brown stuff —

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2021 , 12:44pm
post #15 of 46

in your timetable though — be sure you build in enough time to pivot if necessary for whatever unforeseen need might arise — to me cupcakes are last minute like you have them in your schedule — jchuck’s idea is brilliant to buy you time  — I did my best to talk my brides into displaying a cake worthy of her and the event so I rarely if ever did cuppies! pia to moi smile

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2021 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 46

sandra  — how’s the weather out east  there? all the kitties keepin warm? my dogs legs are about as deep as the snow — my husband cleared off a spot for him but he goes bounding out there into it anyhow — then races like a shooting star back! 

regina — did y’all get much snow? we been busting records right & left — but that initial ice storm was a Godsend! freezing everything up so everybody’s power din go out from falling trees — thank God for the ice storm! how ironic hahahahaha

not to mention we’re in the start of our third big bad winter storm — although peeps’ pipes are freezing too — but at least we in memphis mostly all have power dizzy thank you, Jesus revolving_hearts

jchuck Posted 17 Feb 2021 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 46

Tal....No the fancy liners, or in your case, lace wraps will not bunch up. You only need to apply the smallest dot of buttercream to get your cupcake liners to “stick”. And as for freezing, we three posting answers have combined baking knowledge of 50 + years. It’s such a HUGE misnomer that freezing cakes ruins them...or there not fresh upon thawing. Gotta say I have corrected soooo many younger/new baker/decorators on several of my fb decorating pages. Some, very, very insistent that I am wrong. Well, I ain’t had a stale cake....ever, from freezing.  My Mom froze cakes, pies, squares...etc all the time when I was growing up. So I don’t wrap up each individual cupcake, too time consuming. Considering cupcakes will probably only be frozen for 1-2 weeks, just, place tightly together in a container and freeze. If you feel you want extra protection, you could wrap your cupcakes in waxed paper first, then place in the container. I only ever double wrap my cakes for freezing.

As for icing, I make  Liz Mareks/Sugar Geek Show’s mock smbc. I combine with a batch of either ermine icing or ganache. Easier for a novice decorator. I’ve added  1-1 1/2 cups of cocoa to my icing and it’s never been “gritty”. And I do sift my cocoa separately in another bowl, ready to be added when ready. So you can make a chocolate buttercream and add dark chocolate ganache..and icing will be stable, delicious and pipe beautifully. Here’s the recipe for the buttercream.     https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/easy-buttercream-frosting/ .  And recipe for ganache, if you don’t have one.   https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/ganache/

jchuck Posted 17 Feb 2021 , 7:01pm
post #18 of 46

K8memphis....Amazing from Texas to Tennessee you have been getting smacked with winter weather. Of course, it’s normal from where I come from. We had a huge snowstorm the Saturday before Valentine’s day. Then another Tuesday ( yesterday 16th), all schools closed. No more online learning, so kids got to play. Was a xtra long wknd, because Monday was what we call Family Day holiday. Bracing for another storm this Thursday into Friday. Yikes...all that shovelling!!!! Mother Nature is making up for what we didn’t get in Nov/Dec. 

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2021 , 7:19pm
post #19 of 46

Hey Kate!  Although east of you, I am in middle Tennessee and it is hateful!  Yesterday morning, when I got up, it was 9 degrees F., this morning 19, but going back down into single digits tonight.  There is about four inches of ice and snow (mostly ice) on the ground already and it is supposed to start the rain/sleet/snow winter mix around 4:00 p.m. and continue until tomorrow evening.  So far, we have not lost power.  The kitties houses are holding at about 72 degrees, so they are snug and happy.  Pray the power doesn't go off, because all the houses are heated with electric.  We have gas fireplaces for emergencies, in our house.  I think this winter is here to stay.  

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2021 , 7:20pm
post #20 of 46

Oh, and I agree with -K8 that there is no better chocolate frosting than Hersey's Perfectly Chocolate!  I've made about a million batches.  It is made with cocoa, but I've never found it to be anything but delicious!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2021 , 5:52pm
post #21 of 46

june -- yeah i'm from the land of lake effect snow so it wasn't as constant as snow in toronto but i get the snow thing -- memphis however is not prepared for weather like this we only get it every few decades -- so thankful our power didn't go out! nobody much shovels here --

yes it catches up with all of us after a while

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2021 , 7:44pm
post #22 of 46

sandra — we got stalactites!!!

yeah I think you have tva? we’ve got an independent-ish power company — not hooked to tva anyhow — so thankful the power outages are minimal!!! 

but ain’t nothing much melting either — AGHHH! Wedding Cake/cupcakes And Timing Wedding Cake/cupcakes And Timing ‘sposed to get another inch....

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2021 , 7:46pm
post #23 of 46

big ones

tal Posted 18 Feb 2021 , 7:46pm
post #24 of 46

You ladies are the best!!!  LOVE the weather conversations!  I'm Central PA and we are getting blasted with ICE! UGH....love the snow but hate the ice.....just got pounded with more snow today....

I will have to check out the Hershey chocolate recipe as the groom does not want a "rich" tasting chocolate....

jchuck....I respect your experience as well as the others here and because of time,, I will be freezing the cake! 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2021 , 7:47pm
post #25 of 46

just add less cocoa — for a less rich choco 

tal Posted 18 Feb 2021 , 8:23pm
post #26 of 46

I figured I need about 68ish C of frosting.....so I may have to taste as I go bc yes, don't want it too rich

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2021 , 10:35pm
post #27 of 46

my first thought was, chocolate icing not rich? why? blush

i mean use a glaze but if you go easy on the cocoa it will lighten it up and if you make it with milk it will also tamp it down even more --

yes pa is so much farther north -- you expect the weather but still it's tough for sure -- we're poor little frozen tennesee wimps hahahahahaha 

when we first moved here 35+ yrs ago there was some accumulation, 13", and I heard on the radio they opted Not to plow the streets because it would back up in people's driveways -- I thought that wad the funniest thing I ever heard -- coming from Chicago area --

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2021 , 11:05pm
post #28 of 46

wait, I should say memphis wimps -- I inadvertently included sandra -- 

'tasting as you go' is my favorite!

jchuck Posted 19 Feb 2021 , 1:40am
post #29 of 46

So K8memphis...your  very aware of snow. snow. snow. You say lake affect, you certainly would have got that in Chicago!! very different from  Memphis. We visited Chicago several years ago and loved it.  And man oh man that's a lot of ice!!!!! 

tal.....thanks for respecting my experience....much appreciated We pretty much get similar type of weather. fortunately. we haven't got a lot of ice. We are getting another dunping of snow tonight.  As for the icing, stick to cocoa, small amount, and it shouldn't be to chocolatety. i usually put in half a cup or more + melted chocolate.....so very rich.  

I gotta say, we really do have to address Climate Change seriously. That's the only explanation for all this freaky weather. i mean for Texas to get that amount of snow. And there was a glacier melt in India which destroyed 2 dams. Like Bill Gates said, we have about 30 years to make some drastic changes before it's too late. Sorry to poop on everyones cake decorating parade!! 

tal Posted 19 Feb 2021 , 8:10pm
post #30 of 46

I know seriously??  I am a true chocolate LOVER!  The richer, the better but whatever - they are paying me....hahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%