Is It Time To Say Goodbye?

Lounge By gscout73 Updated 25 Apr 2020 , 12:26pm by Laetia

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 58

I have been here for years. I so miss the lively active conversations, advice and sharing of new techniques. But today I come in and see nothing but spam. I am heartbroken. Is it time to say goodbye to Cakecentral? It is clear Jackie and Heath have left us behind in the dust, without notice. but this is out of hand, and the current owners of the site clearly don't care.

57 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 4 Apr 2020 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 58

gscout73   There are no new owners, Jackie and Heath still own CC. There are a couple of topics a few of us have kept going, and really nothing to do with cakes.

Maybe...just...Maybe

Hoarding Tip

What in the World

Feel free to jump in...❤️

gscout73 Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 12:26am
post #3 of 58

Really? They still own it? They have not responded to contact requests. And with the condition of the site  I figured they sold it. They've been posing christmas decorating tutorials and things have gotten so out of hand. I think I joined somewhere around 2007 and do see the occasional conversations. And I join in from time to time. How are you holding up? I want to bake cookies and give them out. But  I don't want the m to be refused by people afraid they or the packaging will be contaminated. What do you think?

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 12:57am
post #4 of 58

Yes, I happened to be looking on Linkden for someone that use to do  communications for CC. From her page I managed to get into Jackie’s profile and definitely said she and husband Heath owned CC. At least until 2020.  What was strange was Jackie and Heath’s current address  was listed as Arizona. I know for a fact that they use to live in Seattle, Washington. That’s where CC headquarters was located. And actually I do believe still are. A couple of days after discovering this information, I tried to get back into Linkden, but couldn’t. You have to have an account with Linkden, and you’re only allowed a couple of “look see” before you’re cut off from the site.  As far as cookies, I’d only be making for neighbours, not customers. I’m just a hobby baker anyway. Here in Canada, and Ontario, where I am, they have been extremely strict about ALL nonessential businesses to be closed. Cake/cookie decorating is one of them. If we were found to be baking and selling, massive fine, and possible jail time. Doing for a friend or relative, free, as a porch drop off is acceptable. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 1:51am
post #5 of 58

Ditto what June said Just a couple of us bravely wading thru all the horrible spam There are a few new posts from people needing help but very few and since there’s no one to discourage it going way off topic:) Good to know UR well

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 2:09am
post #6 of 58

I was asking myself the same thing a few days ago. But as long as there is a little live around here, I guess I wont give up. Love you all way too much!

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 2:11am
post #7 of 58

Bumpity Bump Bump 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 3:02am
post #8 of 58

Is it time to say goodbye?  Hmmm people have been wondering about that for quite a while now, haven't they?

I have to admit that this little hobby has pretty much run it's course for me.  I was seriously contemplating emptying a few of my containers of silcone molds & such just to fill them up with toilet paper.  That is if I could ever find some to buy.  It's been 6 weeks since I've seen toilet paper, paper towels, tissue or paper napkins in the stores.  I envisioned just sitting quietly for weeks staring at the empty containers hoping & dreaming of soft white fluffy adorable rolls of butt wiping clouds of heaven filling up the containers by some sort of celestial white magic.  

Amazing how your priorities can change over time.  My guinea pigs who used to eat all my mad scientist experiments in the kitchen are long gone.  I don't make much for us here at home these days.  So sure, it is time to say goodbye, why not?

kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 58

MBAlaska said......visioned just sitting quietly for weeks staring at the empty containers hoping & dreaming of soft white fluffy adorable rolls of butt wiping clouds of heaven filling up the containers by some sort of celestial white magic.

Amazing how your priorities can change over time. My guinea pigs who used to eat all my mad scientist experiments in the kitchen are long gone. I don't make much for us here at home these NO No no please don’t leave us!! I fully understand why Yes I want through that Actually sold off 99.5% of my equipment and boy! do I miss it! That’s why I stay active here—hopefully helping others keep the sweet life going But then my type of decorating is considered old-fashion—VERY few do b’cream work— but there is a site on FB for b’cream only decorating:) Speaking Of that was wondering about Betty we haven’t heard from her for awhile now Sure hope all is well in her life! Wonder how many of the cake decorating sites will remain ....

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 58

Bumpity Bump Bump 

Laetia Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 58

Bump

gscout73 Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 58

I'll hang in here. There is value, by us. So sad that Jackie and Heath care less than the members. I am so glad to see all of you.

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 58

Well this gscout73  I am surmising there not making any revenue from CC anymore. J & H still have to pay for the domain, don’t know if the are any other expenses. The internet domain as far as I understand is paid for until end of 2020. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if CC disappears completely then. Only time will tell!!

gscout73 Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 8:34pm
post #14 of 58

Quote by @jchuck on 1 minute ago

Well this gscout73  I am surmising there not making any revenue from CC anymore. J & H still have to pay for the domain, don’t know if the are any other expenses. The internet domain as far as I understand is paid for until end of 2020. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if CC disappears completely then. Only time will tell!!

The site is full of ads. They must be getting something. I wonder if they went on to a diff business venture and left this on auto pilot.

jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2020 , 8:41pm
post #15 of 58

Yes, there are plenty of ads. And members theoretically are supposed to click on the ads. But you’re correct, so many. And I wonder why anyone would bother to advertise on a nearly dead, defunct site????

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 6 Apr 2020 , 1:48am
post #16 of 58

I keep hoping the site will come back to life. I know I have learned so much on here. I hope it doesn’t disappear at the end of the year. I am on the Keep Calm and Cake On site on Facebook. I like it, but there is just something about CC that I like it. 

My guinea pigs are my coworkers. I took cookies to work last week. I washed my  hands so many times they were almost raw. 

MBAlaska I can’t believe you still can’t find toilet paper. The last few times I have been to the store I have seen a few. Not much but enough to not worry about it. I lucked out and the Charming was on sale at Costco back in January. Had a limit of 2 and I decided that I would go ahead and get two. Smartest decision I ever made. That being said if you need some I would be willing to send you a package.

kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2020 , 3:39pm
post #17 of 58

Bump

jchuck Posted 6 Apr 2020 , 10:22pm
post #18 of 58

Bumpity Bump Bump 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 7 Apr 2020 , 2:55pm
post #19 of 58

bu-bu-bump!

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 7 Apr 2020 , 11:07pm
post #20 of 58

Hey all

ive been on this site for a long time- probably since 2001. I check in every now and then and there is a lot of words of wisdom posted whenever I need help with something.

i think a lot of people nowadays are on FB groups where you can get lots of responses within minutes and it doesn’t  require you to check into a separate website - everyone is frequently on social media nowadays.

I have learned a lot from forum discussions here and I hope it can continue to be a good source for new and old bakers alike

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Apr 2020 , 12:45am
post #21 of 58

Kakeladi, I am not so sure that your style of decorating is considered old fashioned anymore.  There seems to be a big resurgence in buttercream decorating and piping.  Believe me, the reason its popularity was replaced by fondant, gum paste and more modern techniques is because it is HARD!  It takes skill and a whole lot of practice, as well as talent, to be a good buttercream decorator!  It is what I consider to be the gold standard of cake decorating.

I think Betty is fine.  She is posting regularly on Keep Calm and Cake On.  Her son is picking up groceries and stuff for her.

jchuck Posted 8 Apr 2020 , 1:32am
post #22 of 58

Sandra Your darn right buttercream is hard. Especially to do well. I’m not talking messy finished cakes. But crisp perfect smooth cakes. And piping realistic flowers, and embellishments on a cake. That most definitely an art. 

kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2020 , 10:24pm
post #23 of 58

Bump

gscout73 Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 12:32am
post #24 of 58

Wow, Sandra,  I never thought of buttercream decorating that way. For the longest time that was the ONLY decorating I did because fondant intimidated me. It still challenges me and I feel much more comfortable making a huge batch of butter cream (or 2), taking out my tips and piping my heart out. I love working with buttercream. I   always thought fondant was the "gold standard" for decorating. Such a different perspective.

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 1:47am
post #25 of 58

Well, gscout73, it all has its place, but great buttercream decorating is actually a bunch of different skills.  For me, those skills are much harder to learn than fondant.  I hate (to eat) fondant, so I tend to use it seldom.  I like the look, but ganache or a good buttercream finish is just as satisfying.  Again, that is just my own opinion and all the techniques are beautiful.

kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 1:56am
post #26 of 58

“..... I love working with buttercream. I always thought fondant was the "gold standard" for decorating. Such a different perspective.....” Exactly! B’cream is how I learn to decorate Fondant didn’t come along—at least in my area—some 5 yrs or so later & yes it intimidated me for several yrs & in a way still does

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Apr 2020 , 1:50pm
post #27 of 58

It (fondant) intimidates me if I think I have to eat it, lol! 

gscout73 Posted 10 Apr 2020 , 1:41am
post #28 of 58

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 11 hours ago

It (fondant) intimidates me if I think I have to eat it, lol! 

hahahahaha, I get that!

gscout73 Posted 10 Apr 2020 , 1:45am
post #29 of 58

One of my bcream cakes, the roses are mexican paste (for practice).  900_456443qBjn_sashas-birthday.jpg

Laetia Posted 10 Apr 2020 , 12:59pm
post #30 of 58

You are absolutely right ladies! Buttercream piping require a LOT of skills and is so much harder to master than fondant. You all deserve all my admiration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%