Page Ten Of New Book Brownies & Betrayal

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 14 Nov 2019 , 8:46pm by ReginaCoeliB

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 11:40pm
post #31 of 54

I feel for you guys...….todays high is 80- has been close to that all week.   I soooo remember and (in a small way) miss snow from when I was raised in Cleveland OH and lived in IN a few yrs.  They are saying it will drop about 10 degrees later this week and then for the next 5-10 days. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2019 , 11:57pm
post #32 of 54

now that’s cold, lynne  ^^^ hahahaha oh the agony!

but even on the today show this morning — al roker says “ it’s colder in memphis than in anchorage alaska! AL, don’t remind me!!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 1:10am
post #33 of 54

-K8, I am pretty sure I would love it (a Kindle or the like).  Wonder how many times it can survive being dropped in the floor when I fall asleep reading?  That happens A LOT!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 2:23am
post #34 of 54

many many times — plus they have cool covers you can get — where when you open it — it turns it on & vice versa —  and the battery charges last for weeks/months depending on which one you get — 

i still get a kick out of buying/adding a new book — i go on amazon, buy it and it appears in my kindle bam done — that’s it — crazy cool — actually it’s even easier than that — you go to the store on your kindle and buy a book — right there wham bam you’re reading it — it has all the info on the book — you can get free samples of zillions of books in advance of purchase or never purchase —

you can highlight words and the definition pops up — you can highlight passages and write notes and keep it — you can review books from the kindle and read all the reviews of others — you can translate foreign words without losing your place — you can sync your book to your phone — to the exact place you are in the book — 

you can search the book by word — oh y’know books with 57 different characters introduced in the first chapter? you can highlight the name and it will tell you who that is in the book — 

and I don’t even use all the features —- they are ridiculously wonderful — 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 2:26am
post #35 of 54

oh and it recommends

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 2:55am
post #36 of 54

Well, what the heck?!  I thought you could only read books!  Maybe I'll ask Santa for one!

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 1:37pm
post #37 of 54

Ok, I'll try to reply little by little,

Sandra, thanks for the interesting info about breads... i'll check them up. My daughter is very independent she has made amazing progress in sourdough... we are now eating too much bread!... Give the Kindle a try, we had a very old one, black  and white and it has been handy for the children... it has been clever, has survived waaaaay tooo many falls!

K8memphis, No, no one call me reggie...that is a pseudonym, I picked Regina Coeli because that is a beloved Latin Hymn in Honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, it translates Queen of Heaven.  My nickname most of my life has been "negra"... My skin tone is light olive, compared to the rest of my family that is fairly whiter... I became the negra of the family... and my husband call me negrita! Call me the way you want... you are the boss here!

And finally weluvpiggies, thanks for reaching out... homeschoolers are always in need of support and advice. My crew is broad... my oldest is a Junior high... my youngest is in Kindergarten... an a total rascal! It will take several years before they become fully independent...especially the boys... Oh boys!

And for all, enjoy the slightly warmer weather today... at least for those in the US. Yesterday in St. Joseph, MO (15 miles from my place) the record temperature was broken. The thermometer recorded 6 degrees yesterday morning, the previous record was set in 1986 and it was 8. Brrrrrrrrr! It was cooooooooold!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 1:49pm
post #38 of 54

reggie — “you’re the boss here” — you so funny smile

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 2:45pm
post #39 of 54

Such an interesting thread!!!! I grew up with a Scottish baking Mom...cake, pies, squares, and bread. Many types and shapes of bread. I started making bread with my Mom in my teens. Mom said making bread was THE original stress breaker. I can close my eyes and see my Mom punch down the dough, picking it up and just whacking the heck out of it on the kitchen counter ....and knead the heck out of the dough...ha ha. Been baking and trying different recipes and techniques, like Sandra, for over 40 years.

ReginaCoeliB  My hats off to for home schooling your children. I could never have done that. I’m way too impatient!! Would have been a disaster for my children. I have a niece named Regina, a very popular Polish name. We pronounce Ra-gee-na..but close friends call her Reggie. We never do, it’s just Regina. 

And it’s FREEZING here in Burlington, Ontario!!!! We had snowstorm on Monday, and no thawing yet, too cold. Local news weatherman is saying warmer weather for next week. Hopefully he’s correct.

K8memphis  So intriguing about the Kindle. My grown children have been bugging me about getting a Kindle for years. I have “Books” on my iPad, and I tend not to use the feature. I can download free books, buy books, import books from libraries. I read my Bible on my iPad all the time, so I don’t know why I don’t read more books on it!!  And when I travel, or babysit my grandkids, my books would be with me. But there is so tactile about handling a book. 

K8memphis...a question. How long typically does a Kindle last?? I ask because honestly a iPad only lasts 3-5 years before you have to replace. Which actually is pretty pathetic. 

As Sandra said, maybe I might consider adding the Kindle to my Christmas list!!! I might just enjoy it. AND, I won’t have the ton of books filling my shelves!!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 3:55pm
post #40 of 54

as I said I’m on bookbub (free) which means I get an email every day with a list of 5-6 ebooks in my favorite genres on sale for anywhere from free esp on weekends to $2.99 is usually the highest price — $0.99 to $1.99 is the average price —

all that to say — one of the choices today is entitled 

“muffin but trouble”

come on, too cute 

not that i’m buying the book but just so clever — sometimes those titles irritate me this one’s cute

jchuck Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 4:37pm
post #41 of 54

You know K8memphis 

I actually do believe I had a Kindle app  on my IPad??? Got this current iPad last Christmas. I think I deleted the app from my tablet. Thought I’d never use it. Maybe I should investigate.

And... “ Muffin But Trouble” definitely is a cute title!!!  :o)

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 4:50pm
post #42 of 54

june — I have had two kindles give up the ghost — they last for years but i’m not sure how long — four to five years maybe — idk — and I have a paper white now and this one, the battery is not near as good as on my other ones but I’m a heavier reader at times too — I have to charge it every couple days if i’m reading a book a day for a while and I go in spurts like that — 

but other papetwhites in my family have longer battery life but idk anyone who reads as much as me either — i’ll find a series I like and just go book after book —

idk

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 4:53pm
post #43 of 54

on my first two kindles I could play solitaire and word games but not on the paperwhite

jchuck Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 9:09pm
post #44 of 54

K8memphis 

I can get Kindle for my iPad, the rub is that not every book is downloadable to your iPad. I think that’s why I deleted the app. I was just researching Kindle on Amazon. Actually not bad price. Was surprised. Looked into bookbub, which I didn’t realize is free. I’m wondering if I would be allowed to buy from the American Amazon site? A lot of items can’t be shipped to Canada, but ebooks just get downloaded instantaneously after you have paid. 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 9:10pm
post #45 of 54

june — oh I hope so!! but I don’t have a clue —

jchuck Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 9:15pm
post #46 of 54

Me either Kate. Sure would be great. There are books by Christian authors I just can’t get here in Canada. And when I can order on Amazon USA, the price isn’t bad, but for shipping it’s exorbitant!!! And that’s if book/item ships here at all.  

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 9:45pm
post #47 of 54

you could ask amazon if canadian kindles can receive downloads 

jchuck Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 10:15pm
post #48 of 54

Yes, I suppose I can.   :o)

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 10:17pm
post #49 of 54

reggie — ok so the autobiographical relationship of the caker and moi just took a turn here — she just put a cheesecake in a water bath without protecting the springform pan from leakage — she also added the sugar twice although I could overlook that— maybe it was an editing snafoo  — but I just can’t be responsible for a tooth achingly sweet & soggy cheesecake — hahahahahaha

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2019 , 10:25pm
post #50 of 54

but I still like/enjoy the book & want to know who stuffed the dead chick under the cake table — eww how awful!!! 

good thing i’m retired now — that would completely gross me out ‘cause I always stashed extra boxes “under the cake table” aggghhhl

ReginaCoeliB Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 12:51am
post #51 of 54

Reggie here... caker? moi? cheesecake?.... sorry I got lost somewhere boss....Could you go back to the point of the dead body under the table?... was it a chick? oh my... i'm twice lost now!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 2:07am
post #52 of 54

reggie — yes she finds a murder victim under the cake table — and I identified with the caker/baker aspect of the book  for a while almost as if I wrote it myself — till she doesn’t wrap the spring form pan blush and she’s gonna get a soggy cheesecake

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 7:44pm
post #53 of 54

Don't worry too much, -K8!  She will only make that mistake (not putting foil around her springform pag) once, lol!

ReginaCoeliB Posted 14 Nov 2019 , 8:46pm
post #54 of 54

And what is wrong with enjoying a delightful cheesecake soup for dinner... just warm it up a little in the oven. And do not forget your dollop of whipped cream and your cookie/croutons to dip.... and you can sprinkle with sugar (just in cake the whole double sugar portion wasn't enough)....Voila!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%