Chocolate Cake Adding Extra Ingredients Need Help Please

Baking By Naty Updated 6 Oct 2019 , 1:28pm by Naty

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 28 Sep 2019 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I am making my regular Hershey's chocolate cake with my usual tweaks this afternoon. I want to try to add 1/2 cup semi-swwet mini chocolate chips and a small box of instant pudding mix to the batter. The batter will sure be thicker,

My questions are:

1) Should I do 1/4 c or 1/2 c mini semi-sweet chips?

2) Do i need to increase the liwuid or add an extra egg because of my additions?

Thank you.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 1 Oct 2019 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Kakeladi! Sorry for the duplicate posts....dont know what happened.

I saw your reply late. I ended up using 1 c. of the semi-sweet chocolate chips and used 2 eggs and added an instant pudding mix It was delicious, but a bit fudgy...will do only 1/2 c or 1/4 c next time.

I did a buttercream with 3 sticks of butter, 1 c cocoa, 4 c. Conf. Sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make it spreable. It was good but too rich for the already fudgy cake. Also, it had alot of air bubbles....i guess i overbeat it.

Any ideas/recipes for a "lighter" chocolate b/c? One that i can frost smoith and pipe?

Thank you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2019 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 6

why don't you just make the regular cake with the icing both on the Hershey can it's perfectly perfect as is 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 1 Oct 2019 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 6

When I make chocolate buttercream, I use maybe 1/2c of cocoa powder and that is enough for me. If your buttercream is too thick to smooth and pipe, add cream, milk, or water (whatever your preference)  a little at a time until you get the consistency you want.

Naty Posted 6 Oct 2019 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the tip. 1 c was definitely too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%