Ref Cake Sizing - Yet Another Follow Up...

Decorating By GerryLewis Updated 28 Jun 2019 , 10:49pm by SquirrellyCakes

GerryLewis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GerryLewis Posted 28 Jun 2019 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 4

Probably going to be my last post for a while - as trying to use this forum is too long winded as it stands.

Having to make new posts to reference to earlier posts for any response or new thread or reply is really not pleasant. Neither is it good having to wade through multiple threads of the same topic to try and figure out what people are saying.  I will reply - but only when its worth doing so!

I did read a post saying its an anti spam thing and it lasts 30 days - somehow I dont think the anti spam idea is working too well judging by the fact the whole of Indias witchcraft culture with cures for everything are easier to access than proper posts.

anyway _ rant over 

re-ref-cake-size-advice

Yes - increasing the top tier sizes by an inch seems the way to go,

Off to figure out what I need to buy to make the cakes now - and see if I can fit a 14" tin in the oven.

I could just throw some random questions in here to keep me going without trying to carry on this thread. 

Feel free to reply - I probably wont respond too soon or unless I suddenly get granted the power to reply normally

Bearing in mind I am in the UK. not the US.

1. Where could I find Wilton Globe pillars - both 2 1/2" and 2" ?    - everywhere I look is out of stock or no longer sell.

2. What could I use as similar pillars? could I source my own globes (or hearts even) and just dowel through them? or would they not be strong enough?

3. What gives the nicest result - fruit cake mixes - or home made? I have no qualms with mixes - its the result that counts.

Ta

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jun 2019 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 4

idk -- I've never seen a fruit cake mix -- but i'm in the u.s. -- don't know about the other questions but -- if you click on your name -- you can see a nice concise list of your posts if need be -- without having to scroll through the bum cream astrological posts -- 

sure you can make your own pillars

best to you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jun 2019 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 4

you ask.........What could I use as similar pillars? could I source my own globes (or hearts even) and just dowel through them? or would they not be strong enough?.........

Not sure what these pillars/globes are that you are looking for but consider using something like a glass voltive candle holder.  Scour a $ store (do you have those in UK?) or thrift store for anything lightweight but sturdy.   Make gumpaste hearts or globes?  Almost anything of substance can be used as a pillar.  Wine glasses were popular some 50 (?) yrs ago :) 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Jun 2019 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 4

It is frustrating I am sure for the site owner too - all of the spam, no matter what she does. However she is working on it.

I am in Canada.. I have yet to see fruitcake mixes here either but personally my guess would be a from scratch fruit cake would be the best. My mother made both mine and my sister's some 44 years ago so I am partial to homemade.

You might have some luck on Ebay finding those globes. I thought Sugarcraft in the UK might have something but no luck there. There are various pillar and dowelling sets and such at this site:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.surbitonart.co.uk/celebration/cake-stands-cake-separators-and-pillars.html&ved=2ahUKEwjftsXrnY3jAhUQnOAKHfVPBEkQFjAMegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2_p2Nh81wTyxqF3WOfmRtS

You might find something on Amazon.

Stacked cakes and cakes on stands seem to be the most popular these days and that may be why it is so hard to find something similar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%