How Much Frosting To Cover Cake Vs. Decorate Cake?

Decorating By Naty Updated 20 Jun 2019 , 2:56pm by Naty

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 5

Hello. So i always have this dilemma....i thin all my frosting for the crumb coat and final coat then for the decorations its too soft. Is there a ratio of how much thin frosting to medium or stiff frosting (for borders flowers etc) i need?

I made Indydeb's frosting (made about 5 cups) and used 1/2 cup milk. It was ok to frost but needed stiffer frosting for my borders and flowers. Should it be medium or stiff for borders and flowers?

About how much for an 8 x 3 cake? 2 cups medium to decorate and 3 cups thin for crumb coat and final coat?

Also for 6 x 3, and 10 x 3 cakes. How much to coat and how much for decorating?

Btw, the cakes wont be torted so no frosting will be used for a filling.

Thank you for any input.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 5

My suggestion is to thin only about 1/2.   As for flowers it depends on which flower really   Roses take a stiffer consistency than others   I have never made that recipe so don’t know it’s consistency therefore can’t say how thin it is to begin with   As a general rule to stiffen icing add nore sugar and/or some cornstarch or use less liquid to begin with   You can always make 2batches one w/o adding liquid or much less  so it’s stiff   Any leftovers can be kept in fridge for usually up to 3-4 weeks  or fzn   

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

https://www.wilton.com/cake-serving-guide/cms-baking-serving-guide.html

The icing estimate charts are pretty good to follow to get a rough idea of icing amounts to make. Not sure if you knew about them. 

Naty Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I will try with 1/2. I did not know about the icing chart....thank you!

Naty Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I will try with 1/2. I did not know about the icing chart....thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%