Burgundy Fondant!!! Help!

Baking By kenzers624 Updated 20 Jun 2018 , 8:21pm by Jenn123

kenzers624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenzers624 Posted 7 Jun 2018 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 10

I’m making a wedding cake that has a dummy tier that is 16x9 inches. It’s the very bottom tier and she wants it covered with burgundy fondant. Should I make marshmallow fondant and try to color it for a fake cake?? Or go with Satin Ice Burgundy color? How do I achieve a burgundy color for marshmallow fondant? Have any of you used the satin ice burgundy? All I need is the color, taste doesn’t matter since no one will be eating it. Help!! I appreciate all the advice!! 

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 10

I would get the burgundy colored fondant -- it's easier -- burgundy can be a difficult color to achieve -- there's a post on here right now about navy blue fondant being difficult so this is what I did to help heavily colored fondant work without tearing --

would knead it, pat it out a bit and leave it to air dry for a while, 5-10 mins depending -- then knead that in and repeat until it dried enough to hold -- dry enough to form a skin but moist enough to still disappear when it's kneaded

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2018 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 10

Yah I agree w/K8.......it can be a pain to make your own fondant and color it - especially that color.   It might cost a bit more to buy it but it sure is a lot less work and probably will match color much better.

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 9 Jun 2018 , 1:19am
post #4 of 10

Try Fat Daddio or Choco-Pan, Renshaw... they all  make colored fondant that may work better than Satin Ice as far as the drying out to quick or not drying out.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jun 2018 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 10

I have colored my own homemade marshmallow fondant dark colors, red, black, royal blue, but it is a total pain.  Whenever possible, I buy it.  Since I do not have ready accessibility to other brands, I would start with Wilton's red fondant and add Wilton burgundy gel color and maybe a smudgin of brown and violet to start the red on it's way to burgundy.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jun 2018 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 10

burgundy is not an easy color to mix at all -- you can go way off way easy

SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jun 2018 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 10

Wilton makes a burgundy gel color that is nice.  This is the straight burgundy gel color on white gum paste.

Burgundy Fondant!!! Help!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jun 2018 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 10

it's gorgeous beautiful and the cake too -- but even gum paste much easier to handle than fondant to cover a big cake --

I would air brush that 16" tier or buy pre-colored burgundy

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jun 2018 , 2:28am
post #9 of 10

I totally agree, -K8memphis!  Life is too short to try to start with white fondant and achieve a dark color.  I am in the habit of making everything myself, since it is just my hobby and not a profession: cake lace, fondant, gum paste, frostings, edible fabric - but when it comes to dark fondant, I'm going to buy it!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 10

I agree... burgundy and fuchsia are the most difficult colors. Dark colors of fondant can also get too wet and sticky. If you can't get burgundy, you can start with red and add a bit of brown and/or blue. Start small to experiment with the right combination.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%