How To Support This Half & Half Split Tier Wedding Cake?

Baking By CakeItGood Updated 1 Oct 2017 , 3:04pm by SandraSmiley

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 27 Sep 2017 , 1:46am
post #1 of 23

Hello, 

A bride would like a 3 tier version of this cake (not my design) to serve about 100 people. I am not sure how to go about supporting this properly so it doesn't move during delivery or collapse on site. Usually I use the sps cake supports by bakery crafts. Would anyone have thoughts on how to build the right kind of supports to keep this stable? I'm torn on how to price this as well... Technically it is two separate cakes, twice the work. 

Thank you, How To Support This Half & Half Split Tier Wedding Cake?

22 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 27 Sep 2017 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 23

I have never seen a cake like that before. I will be anxious to hear what others have to say about supporting this cake.  The cake is pretty awesome looking!! Hopefully, others here will have answers as to what to do.  Is this cake cut in half and split with flowers in the middle of the split? Very interesting looking cake!!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Sep 2017 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 23

Well, it actually is two separate cakes.  I've never used the sps system, but I would dowel and use cake boards between the tiers exactly as I would for any other stacked cake.  It just has one flat side (or they each have a flat side).  I know a lot of folks on here disagree, but if I have to transport the cake, I always use a large central dowel, anchored into the base, through the whole cake.

remnant3333 Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 1:06am
post #4 of 23

After seeing this, I found it on pinterest and it specifically said all the cakes were cut in half and split. If it is two cakes why would they say that?

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 2:45am
post #5 of 23

I said it was two cakes, @remnant3333 ‍ because....how many cakes do you see in the picture?  I see two.  Yes, the layers started out round and were cut in half and assembled as two separate cakes, each having one flat side....covered in flowers.

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 2:46am
post #6 of 23

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I am sure this cake was not assembled as one four tier cake then cut in half with some sort of hand saw.

remnant3333 Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 23

I don't do wedding cakes and no, I am sure they would have never stacked a tier cake then cut it in half. I was only stating what I read which is below. I just thought they made each layer and each layer would have been split in two and stacked separately close together with the flowers in middle on both splits. As to how they doweled it like that I would not know. I just know it is beautifully done.

Gail LaFlamme
White wedding cake split in half with flowers ❤️

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 23

I agree 100% with @sandrasmiley  I would assemble it the way she described.  All the flowers are real and if you look closely the flat sides of each cake has some sort of material cut to size that the flowers are attached to.  That material might provide some sort of support as well.   Not sure what it is.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2017 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 23

I made something like this years (and years!) ago....I don't have pix:(  Mine was a tunnel of love wedding cake.  Sandra is right.  Make rounds, split & fill then cut ea round in 1/2,  stack those 1/2s together w/more filling.  The flat side is covered w/some type of material (look closely at the left side, especially the tops of each tier) so that the fresh/real flowers do not touch the cake as they can be poisionous :( 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 23

i been thinking about this -- for this one i would arrange my dowel within the tiers in the half moon shape -- i would cut it in half after decorating to minimize the work load -- so i would have it sitting on a split board in the first place so after cutting i can handle it in two pieces -- then i would have the for real bottom board ready so that each half would be set against a fence of some kind that is embedded into the bottom board -- cut side against the fence/dowel -- this doweling would be embedded into foam built into/under the bottom board-- either like two tall dowel connected by another dowel -- like an h shape -- or something like that --

but if it's not going on a car ride i would skip the dowel/fence thing

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 23

i love this cake

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 23

i mean how they got all those flowers to stick on that backing and stick to the cake is as much a challenge as the tiers surviving delivery -- which is why something really secure like the h shaped thing is a good idea because the cake itself can't hardly hold all that up by itself  kwim

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 23

ok let's back up a minute -- make the bottom board with the h thing built into there -- sunk into foam planted underneath the bottom board to hold the flowers up  -- then just cut the tiers in half and ice the cut edge and stack it up against the flowers -- yeah that's what i would do -- this is very involved -- 

remnant3333 Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 5:13pm
post #14 of 23

Okay so you experts out there, How much would you charge for a cake such as that one? I too love this cake. It is so unique

and pretty!!!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 23

just off the cuff i'd say $7 or $8 per serving plus flowers 

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 23

i wouldn't do it in fondant

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 6:31pm
post #17 of 23

For pricing I'm with @K8memphis on price.  Flowers are extra - market price + my time.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Sep 2017 , 7:39pm
post #18 of 23

I think I agree w/k8 - no fondant.  I'd probably go w/$8-$10 per serving  & make sure the bride/family orderthe flowers and have them delivered to you.   But of course your location will effect the base pricing.  Are you rural, little town, city; or in a high cost of living area?   

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 12:47am
post #19 of 23

Wow, thanks for all of your replies!  I think my number one concern is the support/structure of the cake, since it will be traveling 30 minutes to it's final location.  I was going to bake in half round pans and go from there, which also means cutting the round cardboards to fit.  Perhaps I will use foam cut in a half circle for each of the two top tiers, then assemble on site.  The 

The flowers - It does look like some kind of material that the flowers are attached to.   I'm willing to bet they are probably silk, and hot glued to the fabric.  We have reached a compromise on this cake, as I am limited in time at the moment ;-)  So the top tier will be split as seen in the picture, and the flowers will cascade from the center down to the front & sides of the 2nd and 3rd tiers.  Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!  It's at the end of October, will keep you posted.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2017 , 8:30pm
post #20 of 23

a much easier way to get this look is to cut out a quarter or a third section of the cake -- and keep it intact around the back and fill the front with the flowers -- just dowel what you have in the remaining shape --  

and even if you do the thing as pictured -- just bake the one cake and chop it up -- if you use the half pans you're doubling your work load kwim --

then without explaining this specifically to the bride add the additional cost of the full tiers to your price -- you could probably cut your top tier out of the cut out from your bottom tier -- work smarter not harder like the wise adage says

blush i would love to make this cake

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 1 Oct 2017 , 1:31am
post #21 of 23

I would do $10+  p/s ...it is a a lot of work.  I would also build the support through center of both cakes.  Seems like a 3 tier cake would not due the design justice......but what do I know I am building my own 2 "monster cakes" LOL

Good Luck the cake will be beautiful I am sure!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2017 , 2:08pm
post #22 of 23

see i often use the option of delivering my tiers on boards the same size as the tier that sit on larger boards to make it easier to handle -- then the tiers are removed from the bigger boards after delivery as i stack up the cakes -- so this is no different -- other than the thinking everything through -- once you design your battle plan the cake is not hard -- making the stand is more involved but not really enough to double the base price -- base price plus a few dollars plus the flowers -- 

but really if you deliver this way unassembled -- it's a no brainer cake -- just involves more planning -- if you carefully stack boards cut in half onto full boards so you decorate one tier -- slice it in half so it corresponds to the cut board -- separate them -- dude, i think i would separate on site -- just pipe/spread on some buttercream -- but this is where your stand needs to be able to support the flower dealio -- 

this to me is not a double your base price cake

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Oct 2017 , 3:04pm
post #23 of 23

I agree, @-K8memphis ‍.  The wow factor of this cake makes it appear much more difficult than it really is.  To me, the most annoying part would be placing all the flowers.  I would use styrofoam to make the divider supports and stick on silk flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%