Friday Night Cake Club For 9/1/17

Decorating By catlharper Updated 9 Sep 2017 , 10:06pm by Marian64

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 3:34am
post #1 of 17

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed, or provide help if they can!

Cat

16 replies
catlharper Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 3:39am
post #2 of 17

Hi everyone,

No cakes this week other than just a pan cake for my family. I do have one coming up but am hoping it cools the heck off before I have to bake it on Tuesday! The Central Coast of California is NOT know for heat. Our average "summer" weather is between 63 and 74 degrees F ( and when it gets to 74 we are usually saying something like "whew! It's a warm one!"). Well, today in downtown Monterey it was 97 degrees. Yup NINETY seven. At my home, 20 miles inland, it was 102 today. Seriously, the hottest it's been here at home is 91.  At 8:30 at night it's still 77 degrees. Since it doesn't get that hot here normally, we don't have air conditioning around here. I'm hoping to sleep tonight. We went out to dinner to avoid turning on the stove!LOL! Yes, I'm a weather wimp...totally can't hang with the heat. 

Hope everyone had a great week!

Cat

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 12:59pm
post #3 of 17

This is mine from this week. First time doing an explosion cake and I wont be in a hurry to do another one!  Look forward to seeing what everyone has been up to!

[postimage id="7964" thumb="900"]

hep275 Posted 2 Sep 2017 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 17

lets try again!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 12:33am
post #5 of 17

@hep275 ‍ you did a great job on the cake. No cakes for me. 

@catlharper ‍ I hope it gets cooler before you have to bake. I finally replaced my central air and heat a month ago. I had window units but when I baked it was miserable. Of course the summer here are in the high 90's- low 100's and the humidity makes it worse. I was surprised this morning we were in the low 70's. Almost seems like fall.

catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 1:37am
post #6 of 17

@hep275 ‍ That is SO elegant! I have heard "explosion" cakes are no fun...guess you are on board with that opinion?

@Marian64 ‍ Friday ended up being recorded as 101 in Monterey...it was 98 there today. Hot enough to set off our fire alarms mid afternoon so we had to lock up and wait for the fire department and the alarm company. UGH. 106 at my house today...exploding our heat record of 96 set in 2014. Just miserable with no A/C here. So we have horrible heat and you have our normal weather...UGH!

Cat

Marian64 Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 2:17am
post #7 of 17

@catlharper ‍ I have never heard of the heat setting off the fire alarm. I do hope you get cooler weather. That is definitely not good weather to bake and decorate a cake in. The icing can literally melt off the cake. 

catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 3:03am
post #8 of 17

@Marian64 ‍ yeah, basically there is this little coiled wire that rises as the heat rises and if it gets too hot then it rises enough to set off the alarm. It's a secondary system function that detects smoke and heat and either can set it off. I'm just hoping that they were able to get it fixed today. And yes, not looking forward to baking till it cools off!

Cat

Mralexmunday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mralexmunday Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 17

Zoe made a baby shower cake! This is the second one like this she did, but didn't film the first one.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 17

Ah, that's such a cuts small cake.  Very nice.  And ......WOW how nice of you to put that video on for us to see who you did it.   My only objection is that it plays sooooo fast that most people won't understand what was being done :( 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 4 Sep 2017 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 17

@catlharper ‍ I hope you get a break from the heat soon.  I can't imagine living in those temps!  Here in NS it feels like fall.  It  switched so quickly and we even had a risk of frost on the weekend!?

@hep275 ‍ your cake looks great!  I've never made an explosion cake.  Why are they a pain to do?

@Mralexmunday ‍ cute cake!  Thanks for the video :-) 

This week I made cupcake samplers for the Labor Day long weekend.  They had lemon meringue cupcakes, death by Oreo cupcakes and toffee crunch cupcakes.

My nephew turned 18 this weekend and he requested a deer head, a duck or something else hunting themed.  I decided to go with a duck (decoy) cake but me being smart a$$ed Aunt Kelly, I also made him a rubber duck fake cake as a joke.  I presented him with the rubber duck cake as if it was his actual cake and it was funny to see his reaction.  He loved his decoy cake and kept the (chocolate) rubber duck off the fake cake :-)   The head of the decoy cake is RKT and the body is marble cake.

kstevens Posted 4 Sep 2017 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 17

kstevens Posted 4 Sep 2017 , 6:04pm
post #13 of 17

Friday Night Cake Club For 9/1/17Y

kstevens Posted 4 Sep 2017 , 6:06pm
post #14 of 17

Friday Night Cake Club For 9/1/17Y

hep275 Posted 4 Sep 2017 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 17

loving the ducks!!  Re my explosion cake.  I had watched a couple of tutorials which showed a circle of different coloured fondant placed under the main cake covering so when you opened it up you have a two tone effect.  My cake was a fruit cake and i'd dug out a cavity for the bottle to sit in.  I cut my explosion separate to the main cake covering and moving it from my mat to the cake was tricky and one of the explosion flaps broke as i opened it up. Luckily i was able to make a pillow of fondant for the bottle neck to rest against.

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 9 Sep 2017 , 11:05am
post #16 of 17

I love the bottle cake! 

Here is that Atari I made for my husband. It is far from perfect, and given time constraints and small size, I omitted a few small details. But it's ok. I am sure he will be happy, even if not eating it. 

Marian64 Posted 9 Sep 2017 , 10:06pm
post #17 of 17

@Mralexmunday ‍ she did a great job on the cake and as always your video makes it look so easy.

@kstevens ‍ cupcakes look yummy. I can only imagine your nephews reaction to the rubber ducky cake. They are both great cakes.

@LelekBolek ‍ the Atari cake is awesome! Bet he loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%