Painted Buttercream Technique

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 13 Sep 2017 , 4:38am by bvwilliams

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 3:51am
post #1 of 12

Does anyone mastered the painted buttercream technique. I saw a cake that I absolutely love.  I thought that it was fondant that had been painted because it was so smooth and perfect. Then I realized the artist who created this cake said she used the painted buttercream technique. I would LOVE to learn how to do it.  I'll try to attach a picture of the cake.

Painted Buttercream Technique

11 replies
bvwilliams Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 4:21am
post #2 of 12

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say, "Has anyone mastered the buttercream technique?"

suryakhandelwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suryakhandelwal Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 12

its really amazing ... I also want to know the techniques. 

what I could guess after seeing this cake is -  seems cake is combination of photo (glass work and painting) + fondant + Icing 

but not sure ,, just a guess that can be done. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 12

I have to say that this cake is so cute!!!! This person is very talented whoever did this cake!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 12

I'm sure many of us have admired that cake.  I also was tempted to ask how it was done but then I have no need to know since I am retired - don't make cakes anymore :(  It would be very nice if the creator would post some hints on how to create it.

MilkNHoney84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MilkNHoney84 Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 12

I've heard hand painting with airbrush paint is a good option. I've also read about painting with buttercream that has been mixed with corn syrup and food coloring and it mimics oil paint. Also, it's best to paint on a crushing buttercream. I'm going to try it soon. I rarely use crusting buttercream, but if that is the best surface, I'll give it a shot. 

MilkNHoney84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MilkNHoney84 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 12:01am
post #7 of 12

Crusting buttercream*

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 12:23am
post #8 of 12

If this is actually painted on buttercream, it was undoubtedly done with an airbrush....part of it anyway.  Some parts, like her hair, appear to have been made separately on dried fondant plaques and attached to the cake.  Her arm appears to be made from fondant.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 12:36am
post #9 of 12

Why not just ask the artist? Go straight to the source :)

bvwilliams Posted 23 Aug 2017 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 12

Since I made the original post, I've seen this cake done by other cake artists...with the exact same little girl.  The skirt and shoes may have been different on some.  So this leads me to believe that maybe an edible transfer was used and then they added whatever kind of shoes and skirt they wanted on the girl.  Since I found the photo on Pinterest, I'm not quite sure anymore who the original cake artist is.

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 24 Aug 2017 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 12

I've seen this on other sites and it is an edible transfer. Then buttercream hair and fondant ruffles. I'll try to find the company that prints them. They also have little white girls and asian girls as well.

bvwilliams Posted 13 Sep 2017 , 4:38am
post #12 of 12

Thanks srichmond.  That's what it looks like to me too...edible transfer and buttercream/royal icing hair with fondant ruffles. If you find the company that makes the transfers, please let me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%